[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /m/ despise Robotech so much? Everyone here hates it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 32

Why does /m/ despise Robotech so much? Everyone here hates it. Admittedly it has flaws. The show was still important historically though. Robotech paved the way for anime in the West. Only heavily localized anime was viable in the 80s. Bringing Macross over unaltered might easily have fizzled. Or worse, turned the demographic against anime. That was too risky at the time. Even just doing a straight dub might have failed. Cringe at "protoculture" fuel if you want but it's not that bad. Hate is too strong a reaction. X-men had loads of stupid shit and people don't hate it. . Crap like that is minor. Objectively, Robotech and Macross are almost the same. Macross fans hate to admit it but it's basically true.

All said, there are worse Westernized mecha shows. Like Toonami SEED. Like British Bright. Like those lying ZZ subs. All worse than Robotech. Undeniably so IMO. Garbage, all of it.

Harmony Gold are dicks with the IP. I play Battletech, I know. No arguments. Gotta keep that seperate from the show itself though.
>>
>Robotech paved the way for anime in the West.
"The West" is more than the United States of America. Robotech didn't pave shit where I live.
>>
>>14063329

OK, it paved the way for the largest market in the West and the only one that matters.
>>
I have no problem with playful nostalgia for Robotech. It's when people act like you should still watch Robotech in this day and age when the unaltered version is available. So many old shows are terrible by modern standards but most fanbases are perfectly aware of that, except the Robotech fanbase in here (or trolls, what do I know) who seem to insist that it's a viable way of enjoying Macross, to actually submit yourself to the mindnumbing experience that is Robotech.
>>
>>14063349
> the Robotech fanbase in here (or trolls, what do I know) who seem to insist that it's a viable way of enjoying Macross, to actually submit yourself to the mindnumbing experience that is Robotech.

See, it is a viable way. The differences are incredibly minor, and certainly not enough to turn a classic 80s mecha series into a "mindnumbing experience".
>>
>>14063358
I'm sorry but you say this having probably listened to that Narrator since you were a child, but coming into it fresh faced that Narrator just makes me die inside.

That in addition to them making the music worse, and removing the Protoculture civilization and instead using the name for a power source that we never see because they never got new animation made.
>>
Harmony Gold pretty much tried to hide the original shows to the point of canceling a western Super Robot Wars Alpha release a they were the "rights owners", and they were too intertwined into the story to replace them, barely now is there a actual Macross release, and just a few months ago a Lawsuit to get the rights back were considered.
>>
>>14063299
>Like British Bright
British Bright wasn't bad at all.
>>
why do robotech fags long to be liked so much?
just off of back to robotechx
and we know you're all spics so build wall
>>
>>14063366
>I'm sorry but you say this having probably listened to that Narrator since you were a child, but coming into it fresh faced that Narrator just makes me die inside.

That's a concession that it's completely subjective.

>That in addition to them making the music worse, and removing the Protoculture civilization and instead using the name for a power source that we never see because they never got new animation made.

The music isn't worse. I won't argue with the Protoculture thing but it's a tiny element.
>>
I've seen it more than 20 years ago. I only remember that I liked robots and cool space stuff and girls.
>>
>>14063378
>no caps
>manages to mispell both words in "fuck off"
>trumpshit

Top quality posting there m80.
>>
>>14063299

Because thanks to Robotech we have Harmony Gold cockblocking any and all other Macross releases.

Anime would have been introduced with something else eventually and not much really would have changed at this point in time. Maybe a few less people would have 80s nostalgia for anime. Big fucking deal.

Better that than the disaster that is HG having it.
>>
>>14063382
Minmay's song are so much worse. Couple that with interviews saying that Macek hated the peace-loving moral of the story goes to show how much they altered.

The fact that you seem to understand what "subjective" means should be all you need to understand why a lot of people won't like this show. People especially in this day and age don't liked hackjob adaptations, and you can keep going on and on about how the changes are "minor" which completely ignores the changes in tone, content and expectancy of viewer intelligence, which have all drastically changed for the worse.
>>
Because even if we give you everything about the historical importance of it, and that's a lot to give, nowadays Robotech only exists to keep us from seeing Macross get brought over as it's meant to be. We don't live in the age where we have to put up with Americanized everything anymore, and Robotech is still stuck in that time period that died over twenty years ago.
>>
The reason is simple:

ALL
>>
>>14063407
>everything about the historical importance of it
There isn't any
>hurr it helped bring anime to america
No it just was one of the first things in the 80s, anime would have come with or without Robotech
>>
>>14063373

He kind of was. I can see enjoying him ironically but... yeah, he was just bad.
>>
>>14063420
>No it just was one of the first things in the 80s, anime would have come with or without Robotech

That's pure conjecture and you have literally no way of proving it.
>>
>>14063429
Vice Versa, dipshit.
>>
>>14063408
OF
>>
>>14063438

Except that it was the first and the one that paved the way for other anime in the US. :^)
>>
>>14063447

Not even Yank (or him) but it wasn't the first anime in the US. It wasn't even close.
>>
>>14063447
It was the first anime on television you retard
>>
>>14063461

Yank (and him) detected.
>>
>>14063441

Mixture of weebs, autists and people with a (entirely reasonable) grudge against Harmony Gold for other reasons.
>>
>>14063299
>Robotech paved the way for anime in the West
>a show heavily edited to the point that it resembles absolutely nothing of the original paved the way for anime in the West

very fucking nice reason indeed, might as well claim how 4kids shouldn't be hated on because it introduced a million kids to anime in almost the same fashion.
>>
>>14063299
>>Robotech paved the way for anime in the West.

Astro Boy, Kimba the White Lion, G-Force/Battle of the Planets, Speed Racer, Voltron, Starblazers, and Nickelodeon's big ass block of anime in the early 80s, would like to have a word with you.

Robotech didn't pave the way for shit.
>>
>>14063469

Well it's not like I can get you to believe me so why don't you try telling us why it was the first in the US?
>>
>>14063466
>what is Astro Boy
>what is Speed Racer
>what is Gigantor
>what is Voltron
>what is kill yourself
>>
>>14063511
Alright sorry
>it's the first anime on television to create an autistic fanbase instead of just being "your dad's anime"
>>
>>14063439
US
>>
>>14063519
AT
>>
File: Problem Miclones.jpg (54KB, 310x354px) Image search: [Google]
Problem Miclones.jpg
54KB, 310x354px
>>14063540
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
>>
>>14063540
R
>>
>>14063517
Voltron and Speed Racer are vastly more well known than Robotech.
>>
>>14063552
A pox upon your house.

Also kek.
>>
File: mfw NTR u with muh cousin.jpg (126KB, 1024x669px) Image search: [Google]
mfw NTR u with muh cousin.jpg
126KB, 1024x669px
Check out the first letter of each sentence in the OP.
>>
>>14063557
Well yeah obviously
that's my point
>>
>>14063586
wew
>>
>>14063299
Robotech fans are sad husks of men, clinging to the dying memories of some frankenstein show they watched long ago, and too proud to accept that what they loved was not as original, as impactful, or artful as they thought it was on some Saturday morning long ago. Of course, to drown out any negative thoughts, they spout nonsense like "ROBOTECH PAVED THE WAY FOR ANIME IN THE WEST" and "OUR LORD MACEK MADE MACROSS BETTER", while waiting for Robotech Academy or whatever the cheap new Robotech nostalgia cash-in is going to be, instead of just accepting the Macross franchise for what it is and enjoying all the content it has produced that isn't labelled 'ROBOTECH'.

>>14063517
Robotech IS 'your dad's anime' now.
>>
>>14063557

They're also better remembered and probably more successful. Speed Racer's film was actually made for a start, even if it bombed (I loved it regardless and I know jack about the original anime). Voltron has also had a sequel series and 2 separate follow on series, even if neither was successful. It's also getting a big new series soon. It's still more than Robotech has had in each case.
>>
>>14063586
>W E A T R O B O T E C H X C O M M A L L L A U G H I I N G

I don't get it.
>>
>>14063628
>W E A T R O B O T E C H X . C O M A L L L A U G H I N G
>>
>>14063604
>robotech fan
>having children
>>
File: 1.jpg (47KB, 680x519px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
47KB, 680x519px
>>14063586
Whoa.
>>
File: Robotechfag's kid.jpg (120KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Robotechfag's kid.jpg
120KB, 720x960px
>>14063655
They do reproduce. And make their kids wear foam costumes.
>>
>>14063586
Sneaky cunt.
>>
>>14063441
>The trolls on /m/ always shit up the Robotech threads, you don't see the same happening to the Macross ones.
Look at the recent posts in the Macross Delta thread because there is a Robofag shitting up the thread.
>>
>>14063299
I don't hate Robotech. Honestly I don't really give a shit about Robotech

I hate Harmony Gold and Robotech's fans who are just willing to let this literally evil company fuck them in the ass though
>>
>>14063299
You know I keep hearing this from you people, and people keep saying it and it's not magically going to be true. You can't just rewrite history like this and pretend Robotech was any more influential than fucking Voltron when you have actual big anime bringers like Akira, Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z, things advertised as being anime, as the actual harbingers of bringing anime to the west
>>
>>14063441
>The trolls on /m/ always shit up the Robotech threads
I'd say it's the Robotech trolls shitting up /m/ threads actually

We at Robotecx.com are all laughing spam wasn't invented by a Macross fan I'm sure of that at least

>>14063730
And then there's this guy who won't stop quoting everybody basically saying u mad bro all the time
>>
>I doubt anyone who watches anime has even had sex.
>ignoring me
> Much less have children.
>ignoring the tons of anons who actually have kids here
>>
File: 1.jpg (10KB, 250x198px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
10KB, 250x198px
>Wondering why /m/ hates Robotech so much when all they do is shit in Macross threads
>>
>>14063752
>It's the opposite from what I've seen.
No it's not because clearly you weren't here when Frontier was airing.

Because of all the Robotech spam during that time, it's no wonder /m/ hates it
>>
>>14063733
>We at Robotecx.com are all laughing spam wasn't invented by a Macross fan I'm sure of that at least

I wouldn't be so sure of that. You might want to check a 4chan archive for those old Robotechx.com posts. They were all trollposts by some huehuehue poster, who's b8 shtick was that he was supposedly trying to make Macross fans look bad by launching false flag attacks in their name. I don't think any of it was legit though. It could just as easily have been someone trying to make Robotech fans look like cunts, or plain b8 by any assole.

After those first few posts it morphed into a meme that a few carried on for a while. It wasn't all one person. For a couple of months we'd get a thread like that nearly every day. That was back when /m/ was almost unmoderated and more fun.
>>
>>14063733
>>14063763
Just report that faggot. He keeps coming into every Macross related thread with the same images and multiquoting shitposts.
>>
>>14063777
>ust walk away dude. Ignore it like a normal person.
Well I'd love to, but unfortunately when certain people start quoting multiple people in Macross threads clearly shitposting about muh manime, it gets kind of annoying
>>
File: durr.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
durr.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
>>14063752
>fucked up in the head
Does it stop people from creating families and making children?
>>
>>14063299
>>14063752
>Why does /m/ despise Robotech so much?
>It's the opposite from what I've seen.
>There's only beem two threads (including this one) even dedicated to Robotech this March
Haven't seen much then?
>>
I didn't hate Robotech at all before this thread
>>
>>14063784
It's shitposting when you're dumping images that aren't even related to the thread topic.
>>
>>14063776
>multiquoting

Always a sign of an inexperienced b8er.

>>14063784
>all dat instant response damage control

Called it.
>>
>>14063806
>Nah, I'm just shitposting
At least be honest
>>
File: 7253747.png (998KB, 840x629px) Image search: [Google]
7253747.png
998KB, 840x629px
>>14063806
>nah I'm just shitposting
>>
>>14063299
I don't hate Robotech. I just don't give a shit about it. If I wanted to watch Macross I'd just watch Macross. I've got a ton of mediocre 80s shows on backlog already so I haven't watched Mospeda. Yet. And nobody in the world gives a shit about Southern Cross. Or do I have Southern Cross and Mospeda mixed up?

>>14063338
South America? Europe?
>>
>>14063828
Sure some fans are weird but it's not like Robotech isn't it. If you want I could post some images from that Robotech diaper scat fetish comic if you'd like. Seems to be your taste.
>>
File: AT Ass.jpg (913KB, 1800x1195px) Image search: [Google]
AT Ass.jpg
913KB, 1800x1195px
>>14063828
Nah, that is more of a "Japan is fucking weird" than anything else.
>>
File: thumbs3.png (13KB, 160x126px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs3.png
13KB, 160x126px
>Mods being based

Well I have a little more hope for future Macross threads
>>
File: 8383041_m.jpg (271KB, 572x600px) Image search: [Google]
8383041_m.jpg
271KB, 572x600px
>>14063923
>posts deleted from this thread, the Delta thread, and that troll thread he created
Based indeed.
>>
>>14063299
No it didn't.
>>
>>14063429

Anime came over before Robotech, (Voltron, Star Blazers) and would have come over without it.

Do you really think when they realized Dragonball Z over here they thought the Robotech crowd would like it? No way. How about Sailor Moon? Nope.

Robotech got some anime fans but anime would survive without it.
>>
>>14064079
Macek dubbed Dragonball back when it was new.
A modern prophet.
>>
File: 1453955524097.jpg (270KB, 1440x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1453955524097.jpg
270KB, 1440x1072px
>mfw seeing posts about how HG "copyrighted" the name Macross or, even worse, that they're "patent trolls"
As a law student you have no idea how mad this makes me.
>>
>>14064109

How come, out of interest? I take it they didn't, and can't by your tone, but know shit about law or HG to say.
>>
>>14064123
There is a MASSIVE difference between copyrighting something and trademarking something (which was what they did). You literally can't copyright a name.
>>
>>14064128

Fair enough. I don't think I've ever said anything about HG before, but if I do in future, I'll try to keep that in mind.
>>
>>14064109
>lawtism
>>
>>14064109
>>14064128
Don't be autistic about this anon
>>
As someone who grew up with Robotech and someone who considers themselves a lifelong Robotech fan, you have got to be a third-degree autist to think it offers anything to the modern anime viewer.
It's a fun product of its time, but isn't worth a damn thing to anyone except those who want to see what localizations used to look like.
>>
>>14063299
I actually kind of like Robotech, but mainly expanded universe material. The comics (the Wildstorm ones, not the ones of... shall we say varying quality that came in the 90s) and the RPG (I know, I know, Palladium, etc) help flesh things out a bit and make the universe more than "oh jesus christ, why is Minmei singing and why do these characters sound like they're from a Saturday morning cartoon?"
>>
File: Sentinels_Garudan Design.png (311KB, 530x926px) Image search: [Google]
Sentinels_Garudan Design.png
311KB, 530x926px
>>14064736
>the Wildstorm ones, not the ones of... shall we say varying quality that came in the 90s

Dude, the Wildstorm stuff may have better artwork, but Tommy Yune's rewrites of past Robotech canon, including all of the Eternity and Academy stuff, is shit. Also don't forget that his Prelude To Shadow Chronicles story still relies on the arcs of the Sentinels comics from the 90s in order to have some kind of leg to stand on.

Palladium is also very questionable since their books tend to contradict one another on timeline issues and alien origins (The Sentinels book is really all second guess shit that couldn't be filtered from old Sentinels TV show specs that were all written in Japanese) However, to some degree of credit, they are at least putting some quality control on the aliens in the new material.
>>
>>14063299
>British Bright
>bad

Now you've gone too far Amuro. I order you to launch Gundamn immediately.
>>
>>14063329
>"The West" is more than the United States of America. Robotech didn't pave shit where I live.

Robotech came in 1987 in France. About 18 years after the first anime was broadcast which was Princess Knight. And of course Grendizer in the late seventies. Robotech didn't open jack shit in France. It was so bad it ended being relegated to sunday morning. That's the death knell of anime.
>>
>>14063338
>OK, it paved the way for the largest market in the West and the only one that matters.

What kind of bullshit revisionism is this ? The US counted for jack shit in the eighties for anime being bradcast on tv. France and Italy say hello. Those countries (and the latin american ones) got literally hundreds of anime. Italy in particular got about 99% of the Japanese anime output of the entire 1970s. We even had the complete Hokuto no Ken anime broadcast on tv for more than a decade. An entire generation was brought up on the adventures of Kenshiro. Robotech doesn't even play on the same playing field man. In the eighties, the US was a nobody in terms of anime.
>>
>>14063299
>Everyone here hates it.

I don't hate it.

When I was a kid my dad bought the McKinney novels from a friend of his for me, and I ended up reading through all 12 of them.
>>
>>14063586
HOLY FUCKING SHIT
>>
>>14063832
Nah you got em right but Mospeada isn't mediocre, it's actually pretty good if you like episodic shows.
>>
>>14063923
>>14063931
Looks like the man babies cried for mommy.

>>14064028
Prove it didn't.

>>14064693
Same thing goes for Macross fans.
>>
>>14065314

Prove it did - onus is on you/OP as the one making a claim.
>>
>>14065314
>Being this butthurt
>>
File: homer2.png (538KB, 650x600px) Image search: [Google]
homer2.png
538KB, 650x600px
>>14065588
>Being butthurt enough to call the mods.
Wew lad. You can't win his game.
>>
>>14065689
>Being such a shitposter you can't even pretend to be a different person

https://desustorage.org/m/search/image/66MZ8TCSdGQp0Hm3OA-bRA/
>>
>>14065738
I wasn't aware we pretend to be someone else, clearly that's your area.
>>
File: 1457385497723.gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1457385497723.gif
2MB, 400x300px
>>14063586
Amazing.
>>
>>14063586
oh wow, bravo OP, bravo
>>
>>14063586
How the fuck did you catch that?
>>
>>14065855
It's because he's OP and he got bummed that no one got his joke until he had to explain it.
>>
>>14065891
What a faget.
>>
>>14063586
Hey you OP, it is me the guy who started the all laughing thing way back years ago. Congrats OP for the thread.
>>
File: I need new content.jpg (47KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
I need new content.jpg
47KB, 500x438px
>>14065314
Look for all the posts pointing out shit-tons of anime that hit the US well before Robotech. Robotech only paved the way for HG to raise the bar on douchebaggery.
>>
>>14067169

Thats something thats always confused me is how Robotech is generally forgotten, but Voltron, which is most definitely an inferior show (both in source material and in westernized version) is pop enough that you can reference it and people of the right age group wont be confused. What is it about Voltron that gives it pop culture legs where Robotech falls flat.
>>
>>14067653
Cat bots are easier to remember?
>>
>>14067653

Because FORM BLAZING SWORD that's why
>>
>>14067653
I know about Voltron because of Toonami in 1997. Voltron aired in its entirety while Toonami only showed a portion of Robotech. There was also that Voltron: The Third Dimension series in 1998 that gained an audience amongst 90's kids.

>>14067658
My older brother taped the Vehicle Voltron series and I really enjoy it more than the Lion Force. Spinning helicopter blades as weapons and merging them as its Blazing Sword? 15 combat vehicles that transformer faster than the Lion Voltron? That shit was epic as fuck.
>>
I'm indifferent to Robotech. I do wonder why Power Rangers gets a pass compared to it?
>>
File: Don.jpg (68KB, 500x562px) Image search: [Google]
Don.jpg
68KB, 500x562px
>>14063299

>Robotechfags
>>
>>14067716

Because Saban hasnt prevented one from obtaining Japanese merchandise. Most Macross fans rage links back to three things.

1.) Blocking Yamato's domestic release of the original Macross Plus variable fighters

2.) Blocking Macross Digitial Mission VF-X 2 for PSX.

3.) Being seen as the major roadblock to any domestic release of any Macross series save the original.

Meanwhile I dont think Saban ever served C&D to anime retailers over imported toys or blocked the domestic release of Zyuranger etc.
>>
>>14063299
>america is the entire west and the west is the world

Fuck off yank
>>
>>14067653
I'd say it's not that Robotech is forgotten, it just that no one wants to be sued by Harmony Gold over a silly cameo/reference.
>>
>>14068257
He did send a C&D against those Brazilian fans of sentai when they made Chroma Squad.
>>
>>14064812
QFT

Europe had all of DBZ before the US got those half-assed dubs from Funimation. When I went to Italy to visit my cousins in 1999, Ranma 1/2 was playing on the TV once.
>>
>>14067711
Vehicle was hella epic. I never understood why the lions got so much attention.
>>
>>14067653
I had a Voltron toy when I was a kid, and it had reruns on TV well after its original airing.

I had never even heard of Robotech until I came to /m/
>>
>>14070149

Robotech had reruns, though Im not sure about local markets, I know it spent several years on early morning sci-fi channel programming cirica 1992. Robotech had a movie and a sequal series whereas Voltron cancelled its planned third act. Robotech had art books as well. That all being said, the toys, especially the transforming ones were pretty crappy. Voltron definitely wins in that category.
>>
>>14070660

> Robotech had...a sequel

You what now? Voltron had a sequel, not Robotech. All it's sequel's were canned at some point.
>>
File: Samurai Pizza Cats.jpg (117KB, 500x611px) Image search: [Google]
Samurai Pizza Cats.jpg
117KB, 500x611px
>>14069998
Vehicule had too many characters for people to remember and focus on. At least there was a crossover movie.

>>14067658
You got that right.
>>
>>14070660
>Robotech had a movie and a sequel series

Both of which were cancelled. The movie never made it passed a test screening which ended in disaster and was only available through bootlegs and one mild South American VHS release.

The Sentinels series didn't even make it passed two episodes before it too got its plug pulled and those very episodes were only made available in the 90s through a special pre-order from Palladium Books, and later as special edition disks in the 2000s. Nobody knew any of these existed except for extreme Robotech fans.

As for its 'reruns', it only lasted 2 years on its initial run before it was pulled, a year or two in the early 90s on Sci-Fi Channel, and barely a couple of months on Toonami.

Unlike Voltron, Robotech could never stay afloat on visual media, and the most they could do was through comics, which were all indie published until the early 2000s with Wildstorm, and later DC and Dynamite, as well as having their issues dropped and moved to several publishers because everyone they did business with kept going bankrupt. And speaking of the toys, not only with they of mediocre quality, but Matchbox had to pull out and cancel its third and fourth wave figurines as they weren't making enough money on them. This added to the fact that the toys themselves were hardly available in retail stores and were mainly advertised in Robotech comics because this was the first time Matchbox tried to make anything outside of micro-machine knock offs and various car toys.
>>
>>14063338
First of all USA isn't the largest anime markets.

Second of all Speed Racer, Voltron, Astro Boy, etc. Not to mention that fansubbing was already a thing back then.
>>
>>14070660
Actually only Voltron got legit sequels. Robotech got none.
>>
>>14063405
I wholeheartedly agree with you on Minmei's songs. However, the regular background music was pretty damn good.
>>
>>14069933
And when he got his cut he let them proceed. Give him his due, Saban just wants more money, it's all he lives for. He doesn't hold onto a dying IP and strangle any potential future releases in a foreign market, because that isn't profitable.
>>
I always thought Robotech was that one show from Giant Robot Week with the big mechs with semi-humanoid faces, but it turns out I was wrong. I really wanted to find that show again. It was trippy.
>>
>>14063299

Robotech didn't pave the way for shit. DBZ and Sailor Moon did.
>>
File: Martian_Successor_Nadesico.png (525KB, 620x410px) Image search: [Google]
Martian_Successor_Nadesico.png
525KB, 620x410px
>>14075425
....Evangelion or Martian Successor Nadesico? Robotech was on that block too, but the only other shows they had were Gigantor, Megas XLR, and Dai-Guard.

And speaking of which, Giant Robot Week was my first real exposure to Robotech, and I remember since they were trying to cram so many shows into interchangeable timeslots during Toonami hour, they just aired random episodes. So one day I saw Boobytrap and was pretty interested in what I saw, then it went straight to the VERY last episode of Mospeada the next day and I had no idea what the fuck I was watching. I mean, if you were a first-timer on any of these shows and watching Robot Week, you'd be lost too with the way they were jumping around episodes, but with Robotech, you could tell you hopped right into a completely different show. Why on earth, out of any time you would choose to showcase Robotech, would you think people would be interested in having a chopped up patch job of a show further chopped up?
>>
>>14063299
It's "important place in history" where it did some good things is now overwhelmingly outweighed by it's negative place in history and the legitimate harm it has caused.

It's like a guy who loved saving abandoned animals by adopting them going on to spend his next twenty years as a serial killer.
>>
>>14075623
Nah I've seen Eva. It might have been Nadesico. They had weird protrusions coming out of the back of their heads.
>>
>>14075639
Nadesico didn't have them either.
>>
>>14075582
Voltron and Akira, actually.
DBZ and Sailor Moon came later. Voltron proved that there was a market for "japanimation" on television, Akira proved that theatrical cartoons didn't have to be kid-friendly.

Honestly, though, Robotech did help get *me* into mecha and anime, but didn't really have any kind of effect on pop culture. Voltron gets referenced in all kinds of modern media, Robotech only ever got referenced by one episode of Family Guy.

Of course DBZ, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Naruto, etc all got FAR more popular than Voltron, but they also came way after it.
>>
>>14063378
Spic here. I'm a Macross fag. Screw Robotech. Most spic Robotech fans I know are casuals. I know no one that is into anime who prefers Robotech over Macross. It's a pity they didn't build the wall earlier, because if it saved us from the utter piece of crap that USA made out of Macross it would've been worth it. Because Macross would've arrived as Macross, with a proper dub, no narrator to dumb it down and a proper translation.
>>
>>14075745
Robotech also got a reference in a Futurama episode where they did an anime parody. They used Robotech music for part of it.
>>
>>14063466
Really? They showed it in USA even before Astroboy?
>>
>>14063483
And that's only speaking about USA. Because he said WEST. So you want to know what us spics had BEFORE Robotech came here?
Astroboy, Mazinger, Heidi, Kimba, Gatchaman, Speed Racer, Candy Candy, Harlock, Time Bokan, Remi, Gekkö Kamen, Cobra, Tetsujin 28, Ougon Bat, Queen Millennia, Grand Prix, Jet Mars, Mahou no Mako-chan, Kick no Oni, Maya the Bee, Belle et Sebastian, Kujira no Josefina, Ninpuu Kamui Gaiden, Planetary mask, Uchuu Senkan Yamato, Fables of the Green Forest, Paaman, Kaizoku Ouji, Wonder 3... I'm excluding many series that might've been broadcasted before Robotech or around the same time but I'm not sure, and I'm sure there's a few that I don't even know about. And again, that's just talking about us spics.
Let's not go to Brazil, Spain, France and Italy, because that would make the list quite larger. In our spics countries and those other 4 European countries anime fandom started many years before USA and other European countries. We had a lot of dubbed anime, but unlike USA they didn't dumb it down (for the most); it was sometimes censored, whether it was blood or tits, but the music was left the same, when the opening/ending were translated they were usually trying to be faithful (not always possible due to the song's metrics), most often than not the characters names weren't changed.

Robotech didn't bring anime to the west. Anime was there already. It wasn't even the first success (Astroboy, Mazinger and Heidi were), nor was it the most important one (Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon were). In fact, if it was left as Macross it would've been quite better. Most of Robotech fans have Macross as their favorite (Southern Cross is the least favorite part, maybe because it was the anime that was butchered the most plot-wise). And believe me, it's not that if it weren't for Macek we wouldn't have been able to watch it, Macross was going to happen sooner than later; the only thing that prevented it was Harmony Gold.
>>
>>14064812
You forgot Spain. But what you say is about right. We even have our own "anison singers". You have Memo Aguirre in South America, dunno about Brazil and Spain, also Bernard Minet in France and Il Cavalieri del Re in Italy.
>>
>>14075631
Nice comparison. I bet you think Ted Bundy did nuffin wrong.
>>
>>14067653
Voltron was on Toonami
>>
>>14077521
Wasn't Robotech (Macross saga only)on Toonami for a while as well?
>>
>>14063299
I saw Macross II before I'd ever heard of Robotech. It was on the Sci-Fi Channel late at night once when I was a kid, and I stayed up late to watch it. I even taped it.
>>
>>14063299
Hating Robotech is stupid.

Robotech is just irrelevant, a relic from a bygone era when it was impossible to watch anime.

Robotech is like the English dub of Akira: something embarrassing that happened and we should all try to forget.
>>
>>14078870
Macross and Southern Cross. I forget why they couldn't show the Mospeda part.
>>
>>14063338
Actually I don't think the West, including the US, really matter for anime. Places like Taiwan and Singapore are more important.
>>
when will the HG rights get taken away
>>
>>14079381
Actually if someone was willing to put in the effort to sue them they'd win. Guaranteed.

But frankly who even wants the rights to Macross in the West? Real fans can just import and Macross wouldn't be very profitable on Crunchy imo.
>>
>>14079381
When the company either relents or goes under, the latter being most likely at this point.
>>
>>14079464
>But frankly who even wants the rights to Macross in the West?

Honestly if we just got them away from HG and sold them to an interested party it would be fine.
>>
>>14079464

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't, just because Harmony Gold could probably dredge up more money - and that's what will win it ultimately.
>>
>>14078870
They ran the entire Macross saga and got maybe half way through the Southern Cross portion and then dropped it. When the did the whole Giant Robot Week thing they showed there very last episodes of the New Generation, and by extension the end of Robotech. That was the end of Robotech on Toonami. I'll never understand this.
>>
>>14079498
Well yeah that is the problem: nobody wants to spend money on acquiring the rights to Macross and to stop HarmonyGold.
>>
>>14079614

Ergo, the problem isn't just effort.
>>
>>14079614
>Well yeah that is the problem: nobody wants to spend money on acquiring the rights to Macross and to stop HarmonyGold.

Rights to the Macross franchise don't belong to Harmony Gold. This is worth repeating ad nauseum. Harmony Gold has (bought) the trademark to the Macross name. And this effectively makes it impossible for the license holders to market, sell, broadcast anything named Macross (from 7 onwards) in the west without fucking paying money to Harmony Gold. The strangehold is all because of the name.

If the Japanese really cared about Macross in the west they would do the easiest thing and bypass Harmony Gold by simply renaming their show into something else. It's not as if it changes the substance of the show. Call it Macross in Japan and "something else" in the rest of the world.

But hey, as much as Harmony Gold is a hive of scum and villainy the Japanese license holders are also thick beyond redemption.
>>
Under the textbook definition of "jew", you'll find Harmony Gold's logo.
>>
Who cares about HG.

I will just download the torrent anyway.

And I will just import all the toys I want. Fuck Harmony Gaydom.
>>
>>14080032
Actually if HG continues to do nothing with the Macross trademark then by law the trademark will be considered to be abandoned, the trademark can also lose its effectiveness by the simple fact that they were 3 Macross series released, aired, and distributed, the West under the title "Macross" which because they were using it first and for many years before HG even attained the trademark and because HG isn't using the trademark (because they can't), HG stands to lose to trademark if someone actually has the time to take them to court. So in reality they really can't sue anyone since legal precedence would mean that they'd lose.

In other words it's just another bluff.
>>
>>14080341
Oh yeah and in the good old USA you can only sit on an inactive trademark for 3 years once those 3 years are up then the trademark will automatically be recinded once the government realizes that the holder has no real intention to use it.
>>
File: N5igkj1.jpg (51KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
N5igkj1.jpg
51KB, 1280x720px
>>14063586
>>
>>14075745
Not to mention America getting Tetsujin-28 and Mach Go! Go! Go! as Gigantor and Speed Racer even before those. And some places got Mazinger Z as Tranzor Z for a little bit too.
>>
File: R$B$TECH.C$M.png (682KB, 959x857px) Image search: [Google]
R$B$TECH.C$M.png
682KB, 959x857px
>>14080341
Harmony Gold only uses the trademark for toys and comics,...and if need be, redistribution of the Mckinney novels, which is the only way they can use anything Macross. And since Macross is the front-line moneymaker in merchandising they're always sure to keep the production flowing regardless how bad the quality is. Its why we have a slew of broken Toynami shit.
>>
>>14080577
Oh yeah, and here's the latest development in top-of-the-line "Macross Saga" toy production....More 'joke machines'.
>>
>>14064193
underrated post
>>
>>14063338
>the US mattering at all
bait thread
>>
>>14080577
But because the trademark was used before, in a widely distributed product no less, if that product comes out with something new then they can contest to the current usage of the trademark since it means that that particular trademark is not uniquely tied to their company.

Thing is trademarks are for protecting a company's image, not to quell competition or anything dishonest. But if the trademark wasn't considered to be uniquely associated with your company then bye bye trademark (especially if the holder knew it).

That's probably another reason why Sony backed out of the deal.
>>
>>14063338
The US is a largely irrelevant market as far as anime goes.
France and Italy are far more important.

>>14063299
>Why does /m/ despise Robotech so much?
Because it's complete shit, what more do you need?
It's shit, justifying why it is shit and giving it a valid reason to be shit still doesn't make it less shit.
>>
File: Seriously Goyim.png (93KB, 203x345px) Image search: [Google]
Seriously Goyim.png
93KB, 203x345px
>>14082098
But that's where your wrong.
>>
>>14082745
No other anon is right on both aspects. The American market for anime, despite what Americans like to believe isn't important, it's actually just a very small share of the market, France and Italy are more important. Case in point, France actually got most of the anime first, and frequently if you hear about any international interviews from any anime directors, or mangaka, it's likely that they're likely from a French anime convention. Not to mention the collaborations that they do with Japanese anime companies.

Italy has also always had a bigger market than America, just search you tube and it's not hard to come across an Italian dub of most anime where there are no English ones. You can also tell this from how Lupin III aired first in Italy.

Don't get me wrong they are trying to make the American anime market bigger (which yes considering the population it has high projected revenue) but that doesn't make the market important, the biggest, or the most influential, because none of that has been achieved.

Robotech? it is shit?
>>
>>14080582
It doesn't look that bad. I wouldn't buy it just on principle, but I'm a fan of the Hasegawa egg planes, and this looks like that but transforming which is cool.

>>14081135
>Sony backed out of the deal.
Whoa, really?
>>
>>14083535
They've had three separate lines of this shit already, since 2002. And everyone has expressed that they really don't care about the whole SD/Chibi Macross thing (not even those stupid SD Robotech pillows they tried to sell).What people really want is some decent Valkyrie/Veritech stuff, and of course, more busted shit that was never designed to leave the box ships out from Toynami on a yearly basis with no fucks given, while repeating useless shit like this. But whatever, its cheaper to make, right?

>Sony backed out of the deal.
>Whoa, really?

Not really, its just speculation at this point. What is known is that Sony isn't saying anything. James Wan doesn't KNOW anything, and there's no evidence that the Robotech movie is on anyone's 'to-do' list, not even on a TBA category: Sony's website doesn't say anything, James Wan isn't on it and is already signing on for other projects that have already been greenlit till 2020, and same goes for Producer Mark Canton who also doesn't have Robotech anywhere on his resume either.

Like Warner Bros, Sony has gone completely dark and that whole notion of turning Robotech into their "Marvel Cinematic Universe" has all gone completely out the window.
>>
>>14083630
At this point, its just HG playing the same song-and-dance routine. They were so sure that the movie will happen and keep reminding the fans every year that the movie will be awsome. Then 7 years later, WB's license to Robotech expired. And now, they're doing the same shit again.
>>
>>14083630
>>14083719
Ah, I see. If that's the case, then throw it in the garbage. Macross can justify their cutesy-fied versions somewhat when they've at least got some decent regular stuff coming out.
>>
File: Hypeline UPDATE.png (75KB, 1004x529px) Image search: [Google]
Hypeline UPDATE.png
75KB, 1004x529px
>>14083719
This time, though, things seem to be more down in the dumps than ever before. Way back when they were approaching Warner Bros. in 2006, they had wrapped up production on Shadow Chronicles which made its way to an indie film festival (HG counted this as a 'theatrical release') and began making its rounds on DVD. I guess the plan was to spend as much money they could afford on the animated movie and then start banking on Hollywood to pick up the rest; At that time, they had a relative leg to stand on in relaunching their franchise. But the movie never happens and Warner Bros has no idea what to do with what they are given, and HG just keeps pretending they're all riding on the gravy train till the day the project officially dies and pleas for new animated material are either ignored or met with exaggerations and smokescreens.

Now its just them trying to convince their dwindling fans that 'all is well' by tushing a bunch of toys and various utilities like shirts and skateboards with no real drive to expand their universe or franchise. In fact, judging by Kevin's responses to his Facebook post with the latest Robotech toys, they've all pretty much given up and are just determined to keep selling toys till they go bankrupt. (And you gotta love his "kind regards" after every response. You can this stuff is getting to him)
>>
>>14084837
At this point in time the most prudent thing to do is to wait for HG to die.

Anyone who isn't completely delusional knows that they're on their last leg.
>>
>>14085235
Watch as some bigwig dickhead buys ALL THE HG RIGHTS.

Alternatively, we find out later that HG is involved in offshore dealings.
>>
>>14083379
Ignore that anon you replied to. He's just a shitposter.
https://desustorage.org/m/search/filename/goyim/
>>
File: faggot.gif (150KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
faggot.gif
150KB, 500x333px
>>14083379
I was replying to the Robotech part. And obviously European countries have a bigger share of the anime market since it's been there longer and the fans have better taste.

>>14084837
I doubt anyone but a couple people actually buy those toys.

>>14085235
Have fun playing the waiting game.

>>14085236
Harmony Gold is the devil.

>>14085245
And you sir are a faggot.
>>
>>14084837
I always knew McKeever was a faggot, but this takes the cake.

>>14085235
Even if HG goes under, the sheer mass of mouthbreathing idiocy that is Robotech fandom won't. These sad pieces of shit are in their 30's and 40's; some of whom have kids and will try to get them to be Robotech fans.

I remember way back in Otakon 2006 I think, there were these obnoxious middle-aged otaku that tried to extol the glories of Robotech at guest panels. One tool even dressed up as a preacher and was spewing about how "the faithful from the good old days of Robotech" were the pioneers of anime fandom.
>>
>>14075409
He's still a money-grubbing prick. Fuck Haim Saban and fuck Power Rangers, it's outlived its usefulness.
>>
>>14083379
I know the Europeans and South Americans have a much longer history with anime, but do they still outperform the US demographics? Are there any numbers to sales and whatnot to compare?

>>14080032
>But hey, as much as Harmony Gold is a hive of scum and villainy the Japanese license holders are also thick beyond redemption.
What is it with Japanese and being unable to do business in Western countries? I remember Pokemon getting fucked over as well as Yugioh and now this. There's even the clusterfuck over Ultraman thanks to some Thai businessman.
>>
>>14085957
The west trying to jew the japanese.
The whole shenanigans with Ultraman and the thai guy is him trying to jew the entire franchise from the japanese.
>>
>>14084837

He's probably required to sign correspondence that way. I worked an email job and was at least.
>>
>>14085957
>>14086035
Plus Tsuburaya always wanted to jump at the chance to market Ultraman to the West, it never really caught on much until Crunchyroll's existence. The main problem is Sompote has a stranglehold on everything from 66 to Taro (and Jumborg Ace).
>>
>>14063299
I grew up on Robotech. Arguably, it got me both into anime and mecha. It did a lot for the anime scene back in the 80s. It really did. Robotech was great back then, because it was all we had and it was very refreshing at the time.

But anyone who tries to act like you should watch Robotech over Macross should be taken out back and put down. Also, Harmony Gold is scummy.
>>
>>14085236
But they won't get the rights to the one thing that they want, Macross. So no one would be effected by it. In fact it would be a waste of money, for the poor smuck who bought Robotech.
>>
>>14085254
Robotech isn't a good series though. Nor was it influential in America.
>>
>>14085926
Robotechfags are delusional nothing new.
>>
>>14086648
>>14086640
Prove it.
>>
>>14063299
>. The show was still important historically though. Robotech paved the way for anime in the West
fuck off and die you brainless retarded shitfucking american cunt
>>
>>14086732
Lol prove that it was. What shows were imported as a result of Robotech's success? What shows rode upon its success or copied it?
>>
>>14086791
Also "How often does it get referenced in popular culture?"
>>
>>14063338
>Americans unironically believe this

How can the very country that hates anything foreign claim this?
>>
>>14087232
This is an American imageboard that was founded for the sole purpose of talking about Japanese culture.
>>
>>14087280
Which is why here more than anywhere else there should be no one that believes that line of horseshit.
>>
>>14086732
Speed Racer, Voltron, Gigantor, G-Force/Battle of the Planets, Voltron, Akira, Kimba, Astro Boy, etc. All predate and are more popular and influential than Robotech in America, hell both Speed Racer, Voltron, and Astro Boy all received reboots that unlike Robotech actually aired on television and was recognized by people who never watched it as children. Robotech didn't influence shit, anime was already getting popular without it. Macross itself would have been licensed anyway.

So yeah not influential. And it being shit goes without saying. Only neckbeards drowning in nostalgia like it.
>>
How do you call the CGI that has realistic feel like in Macross Zero?
>>
>>14087232
>the very country that hates anything foreign

Are you seriously this fucking retarded? Don't talk about countries you don't know anything about.
>>
File: consistency.jpg (98KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
consistency.jpg
98KB, 600x750px
>>14086053
Nah, he only responds to skeptical posts this way. Everyone else he just gives a very brief 'hi', states what he wants and leaves. He's been pulling this routine since he used to post on Robotech.com where he earned a reputation for making snarky, rude, and outright offensive comments in response to agitated fans on the state-of-affairs with the franchise. Once, he completely lost his temper with someone and called them a "Southeast Asian Hick" which forced even Steve Yune to suspend him for a week. So now, when dealing with people or matters that pisses him off he has to make sure that people know he's attempting to be polite in addressing criticism. Even at cons, you can tell how flustered he gets when he is asked about Macross ownership, blu-rays, whats going on with the movie, or anything on Shadow Rising; He starts to stutter, giving out bursts of forced laughs inbetween while rattling around people's questions and not answering anything.

Kevin's a dickhead, but it really sucks to be him since he is usually the one who has to run damage control for every main convention tour Harmony Gold takes.
>>
>>14087692
I honestly don't feel sorry for him. This is what you get for being a shill for a rotting corpse like Robotech.
>>
>>14085235
HG makes their money on real estate.
They're not gonna die any time soon.
>>
File: What's happening aunt diane.png (249KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
What's happening aunt diane.png
249KB, 640x360px
>>14086791
Who says Robotech caused other shows to be imported? It made anime more mainstream and popular.

>>14087461
Obviously they have been there longer than Robotech and have more time to influence people.

>Macross would have been licensed anyway

Nice head cannon.

>>14087692
Who is this guy?
>>
>>14089430
Hello shitpost-kun.
>>
>>14089430
Akira, and Voltron came out around the same time as Robotech.

Macross is one of the most popular and successful long running franchises in Japan it would have gotten picked up eventually, it's actually delusional to think otherwise. Case in point there are more people who've seen and prefer Macross than there are of people who've seen Robotech.

Besides that it only took Robotch a year to wear out its welcome. Face it the series just isn't influential.
>>
>>14089430
>made anime more popular
But not enough for people to believe there was more of a market for anime here or someone else would have tried the same. If you have proof that anime became more popular here strictly because of Robotech then I'm all ears but I'm not seeing any of the implications of it during the time, which leads me to believe there was none.
>>
>>14089430
Still trying to push this "Robotech was actually relevant to the growth of anime" dank meme huh?
>>
>>14089430
>Who is this guy?

Kevin Mckeever is the marketing manager for Harmony Gold. He attends and hosts most of their convention tours and serves as the main mouthpiece for the company. Unfortunately for HG, he really sucks ay his job and due to his unprofessional behavior he only succeeds in pissimg people off than getting them invested.
>>
yeah star blazers made japanimation a thing thats why the big zine was called CosmoDNAddicts
>>
File: mother fucker.jpg (330KB, 900x899px) Image search: [Google]
mother fucker.jpg
330KB, 900x899px
>>14089446
Hello yourself.

>>14089466
Says the guy who gets his info from wikipedia.

>>14089542
>>14089547
Do you even know how popular Robotech was back in the day? Oh wait I forgot you were all born in the nineties or god forbid the 2000's.

>>14090159
Thank you.
>>
>>14090942
Oldbeard here. Robotech did not air in either of the locals I was in (Grand Junction, Colorado and St Louis, MO) when it was in its first run. It was virtually unknown, everyone where I was at was all about Transformer and Voltron. I remember the toys being around at the stores, but no one gave a shit because they had not see the show.

Shit had spotty as fuck coverage.
>>
>>14090984
Yeah I've heard a lot about that, shit was weird yo.
>>
>>14090942
You know what they say about assumptions, right? I was born in the 80s. I actually used to watch this shit when I was a kid, and I remember Voltron being more popular.
>>
>>14090942
>>14090984
>>14091024
Alternatively if Robotech was so influential as you're claiming then younger generations would have known about it, due to pop culture, but it wasn't.
>>
>>14091090
There are tons of oldsters on /m/. I remember one poll had the average age here in the late 20s/early 30s with a few guys that were 60+. /tg/ has a lot of older posters as well.
>>
>>14091090
>complains about youngsters not liking muh Robotech
>realizes not dealing with youngsters
>then complains about oldfags
Robotechfags
>>
>>14091160
I'd almost feel bad for Robotech fans if they weren't so goddamn obnoxious.
>>
>>14091090
Bro must people here are 25+ because we are the mecha generations.
>>
>>14091160
>>14091167
>>14091186
Who even said I was a Robofag to begin with? You crazy old sons of incest.
>>
>>14063338
My dick in your mother's pussy is the only thing that matters.
>>
>>14063299
Grew up with robotech. Even Saw the movie in the theater.

You had to be there. No show for kids like robotech had been on for along time. Star blazers stopped airing in 81/82.

People went crazy for it, not just kids. The was a front page feature story about in the weekend edition of the major paper.

It came at right time. Transformers was hot. You had to be there. Valkyries, cyclones, sdf-1 drove kids nuts.

I have the series on dvd with the original broadcast sfx. That new shit doesn't feel right.

I have the animego macross and agree macross is superior, but robotech brought it to a much larger audience
>>
>>14063299

People don't hate Robotech, they just hate Harmony Gold for preventing Macross releases in the US and Robotech suffers by association. They don't give a shit about the two other series that made up Robotech, I doubt most people can even name them.
>>
>>14091802
>People don't hate Robotech, they just hate Harmony Gold for preventing Macross releases in the US and Robotech suffers by association.

Its a mixture of both, actually.

Fanatical Robotech fans aren't helping at all with all of the "Robotech made anime mainstream in the US and made Macross better" bravado and the fact Robotech gets pushed as the only legal way to see Macross in the states irks the shit out of Macross fans, which results in both series being compared to one another on which is the better adaptation. Of course Robotech gets picked apart. The three animated shows don't mesh well, there's plotholes everywhere, and most of the OST is just awful (especially when you have to listen to it on repeat for 85 episodes).

>They don't give a shit about the two other series that made up Robotech, I doubt most people can even name them.

Nobody gives a shit about Super Dimension Calvary Southern Cross (nobody in Japan does either). Mospeada actually has a decent following, though.
>>
>>14063586
I'm waching the first macross now, i didn't expect all this cuck for the poor Hikaru.

How mad was the people at that time?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWTsAhEtr0I
>>
>>14096158
at time people did not have stupid cuck obsession so it was only love triangle like normal people think
>>
>>14091545
>but robotech brought it to a much larger audience
Clearly not a very long-enduring audience compared to something like Akira or Dragon Ball
>>
File: Children_Are_Not_Spared.png (493KB, 515x387px) Image search: [Google]
Children_Are_Not_Spared.png
493KB, 515x387px
>>14096984
Please anon, why limit the thread to action instrumentals when they can hear the true quality of music Robotech has inspired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b8ndh6UXKI
>>
>>14091545

> 81/82
> 3 years
> long time
>>
Every serious Robotech fan I've met irl has turned out to be a massive faggot.
>>
>>14091545
>Grew up with robotech. Even Saw the movie in the theater.

So you're one of the very few people who saw the test screening in Dallas before they scrapped the whole thing? Nice. Were the reports of upset parents dragging their children of the theaters true?

>People went crazy for it, not just kids. It came at right time. Transformers was hot. You had to be there. Valkyries, cyclones, sdf-1 drove kids nuts.
So crazy, even, that the toy sales sucked and Matchbox scrapped their remaining toyline and went back to making car toys, along with the television series lasting for two years of reruns before getting cancelled. The hype was totally real.

> but robotech brought it to a much larger audience

As evidenced today with no major retail store releases of any of the merchandise, and convention after convention of empty seats and dead projects.
>>
>>14097001
I'm pretty sure Kaifun infuriated just about everyone anon.
>>
File: blood_86zr[1].gif (350KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
blood_86zr[1].gif
350KB, 500x282px
>>14097075
>>14096984
>>
>>14097133
my dad took my older sis and bro to the dallas test screening, to this day my older brother wants to watch it again, mostly my dad was a huge anime fan back then and would just mention he remembers it being very violent

i still wonder if that single vhs tape of the original robotech movie edit will ever get obtained (the version that lacked southern cross footage)
Thread posts: 228
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.