[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what point does hot blood stop being useful and start being

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 19

File: DOMOOOOOOOOOON.png (1005KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
DOMOOOOOOOOOON.png
1005KB, 960x1280px
At what point does hot blood stop being useful and start being a detriment to a character? What's the cutoff point?
>>
>>14039379
when you put them in a "real robot" story where magic doesn't exist.
>>
File: KINGS_OF_M_by_spikewible.jpg (443KB, 1827x1682px) Image search: [Google]
KINGS_OF_M_by_spikewible.jpg
443KB, 1827x1682px
When normies like it.
>>
>>14039379
Instantly.
>>
>>14039379
Depends entirely on the setting.

In G Gundam for instance there's basically no drawback we see in a combat situation, but they do show Domon's mentality as the main problem in his personal relationships.
>>
>>14039386
This. Kamina and Gai Daigoji were practically the same character. But one of them existed in a world where screaming loudly solves problems. It can still get you killed if you're not the main character, but at least you're guaranteed to go out in a blaze of glory while accomplishing something.
The other one lived in a world where behaving like that makes people think you're a manchild and you can still get shot in the head by a mook while hanging out in the hangar.
>>
>>14039379
That just means they didn't get hot enough
>>
>>14039379

Fun fact: shonen style "hot blood" in anime comes from old Imperial Janpanese cultural propaganda that said that the Japanese man was superior to all others that walked the earth because only Japanese people actually had feelings. Everyone else just had shitty half-feelings that were obviously inferior to the feelings that Japanese men could feel.

Other races needed to use inferior crutches like logic and reason to decide what the correct course of action was, but the Japanese man could simply FEEL what was right and what to do.

It was what supposedly defined them as the master race, and was their justification for why all other peoples were inferior and you didn't have to feel bad about anything that you did to them because it showed they were not 'real people' like you.

Imperial Japan told its soldiers that the power of their emotion would make them unstoppable and that reason was for lesser races.

So... I guess that's about the point that hot blood stops being useful: when your belief in it ends up losing you World War 2.
>>
File: 1405714528624.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1405714528624.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
>>14039469
I don't have anything to add but wanted to recognize this as a good post
>>
>>14039379
When the character becomes popular. Then they become "meme character" and you're not allowed to like them anymore.
>>
File: this_triggers_kukreans.jpg (111KB, 870x567px) Image search: [Google]
this_triggers_kukreans.jpg
111KB, 870x567px
>>14039469
>all this Western trash propaganda

You apparently don't know shit about Japanese culture and history beyond what inferior Wester cuck trash tells you.

Let me let you in on a little history/culture Anon little cuckling. The hot blooded and yelling originated even farther back than the Imperial Army post Meiji revolution. The concept originates in martial arts traditions with 気合い (kiai).

This concept is where one imbues their personal spirit into their attacks with a yell. The more killer intent and spiritual power you can imbue into your attack the more "power" there is behind the blow.

Bruce Lee and Jason David Frank are 2 popular examples that Westerners can readily relate to for and example of 気合い.
>>
>>14039501
doesn't it also have connections to calling your strikes in kendo?
>>
>>14039379
there's no point or cutoff, either the show runs on emotions are magic or it doesn't. If it would ever be a detriment then it would've been from the very first episode
>>
>>14039512
Yes it does! Points are rewarded based on a clean hit and the kiai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvHwqCoy30U
>>
>>14039388
Why is Sanger facing the other way? Did nobody tell him that they were taking a picture?
>>
>>14039536
I just love hobo-simon in the background. Maybe Sanger was trying to get his attention to join the group?
>>
File: noredo smug.png (163KB, 260x297px) Image search: [Google]
noredo smug.png
163KB, 260x297px
>>14039469
>So... I guess that's about the point that hot blood stops being useful: when your belief in it ends up losing you World War 2.
>>
>>14039536

He spilled his drink on the left side of his coat and he doesn't want that to show in the picture. They are never going to get another chance to take this picture and he would rather be seen as the brooding guy then the one with pepsi all over his shirt.
>>
>>14039386
There are plenty of "hot blooded" characters in "real robot" stories, and they end up fine. Beyond that very few SRs have magic of the kind you mean.
>>
>>14039469
>from old Imperial Janpanese cultural propaganda that said that the Japanese man was superior to all others that walked the earth because only Japanese people actually had feelings.
Is this like how some people in Japan who have never left Japan believe that only their country have 4 seasons?
>>
When you have a stroke induced by your elevated blood pressure.
>>
>>14039501

That might be where yelling dramatically as you attack draws inspiration from, but that's only a part of anime hot blood. Hot Blood in anime often comes packed with the message that burning emotion and hot blood are ALL you need, fuck logic. And that's where the propaganda comes in.

Which is real. You can find scanned copies of japanese pamphlets espousing this shit in historical archives. This is a documented thing.
>>
>>14039555

Really? I hadn't heard about that.

Seems hard to believe, since they get American movies often enough that they should be able to see that America clearly has seasons too.

Well, at least summer, winter and fall. I guess Spring is hard to properly draw attention to on film?
>>
>>14039573
Links to said scanned copies?

Additionally it can be seen as an extension of mind > matter from the Zen Buddhist teachings.
>>
>>14039585
They'd probably argue that those are only pale imitations.
>>
File: your_spring_is_WEAK.jpg (2MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
your_spring_is_WEAK.jpg
2MB, 1600x1200px
>>14039595
>implying that isn't true
>>
File: 1378609270983.jpg (493KB, 1162x850px) Image search: [Google]
1378609270983.jpg
493KB, 1162x850px
>>14039469
>So... I guess that's about the point that hot blood stops being useful: when your belief in it ends up losing you World War 2.
Fucking brutal

>>14039555
To be fair, where I live Ohio seasons aren't very indicative of the kind of weather we get.
>>
>>14039585
>Spring is hard to properly draw attention to on film?
Unless your country farts cherry blossoms everywhere, anyway.
>>
And yet another thread bogged down by the weird westaboo cucks we have recently acquired for some reason.
>>
File: noredo naughty.jpg (125KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
noredo naughty.jpg
125KB, 1200x675px
>>14039547
I'd nug her nug so nugging hard
>>
When they're not powerful enough for their hot blood being able to make the difference.
>>
File: average_kuntala.png (4MB, 2217x1061px) Image search: [Google]
average_kuntala.png
4MB, 2217x1061px
>>14039794
>>
>>14039573
>Hot Blood in anime often comes packed with the message that burning emotion and hot blood are ALL you need, fuck logic
Maybe if your only experience with it is TTGL. In most other cases, there are several times where the pilot has to stop and think about how to win. Just look at the OP. Domon spent an entire arc learning how to calm the fuck down so he could actually make use of his damn super mode. And after that, he spent another arc devising new techniques in order to counter his friends' new special attacks.
>>
>>14039469
>Other races needed to use inferior crutches like logic and reason to decide what the correct course of action was, but the Japanese man could simply FEEL what was right and what to do.

the Japanese actually believed in Truthiness?
>>
>>14039816
I'm against cannibalism, but I'd have to applaud someone who managed to turn meat into bread.
>>
File: meat_bread.jpg (297KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
meat_bread.jpg
297KB, 700x525px
>>14039851
>>
>>14039820
Nigger, have you forgotten all those times were the hero goes forward with his suicidal plan because he feels its the right choice? As in he says HE FEELS?
>>
>>14039901
Half the time when that happens, there is no other choice anyway. Do you think anyone in Guy's place would seriously consider just letting the Zonder go around and destroy the city just because using Hell and Heaven means they have to be confined to a repair table for awhile?
>>
File: feels.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>14039901
feels are the worst enemy
>>
Well there's characters like Seikai from BFT, yells like a retard and brute force everything, when his "hot blood" fails him occasionally, it's played out as sacrifice or prideful defeat.

And hardly any viewers like him.
>>
File: havet feels.png (255KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
havet feels.png
255KB, 640x480px
>>14039926
>>
File: Anime_maniakos_seiya_00.jpg (57KB, 595x800px) Image search: [Google]
Anime_maniakos_seiya_00.jpg
57KB, 595x800px
Keep in mind you can have your character be hotblooded and consistently succeed, and still be unpopular with the fans

Pic related with Seiya here. He's hotblooded, he wins most of his fans, but he's mid-tier in popularity among the Saints. Why? Because he never wins fights by being stronger, or smarter, or faster, or even more hotblooded and passionate than his opponent. He wins purely because he's so stubborn that he always gets back up when he's knocked down, stubborn that he wins by spamming 2-3 moves when THE WHOLE POINT of fights in Saint Seiya is the concept of "the same move won't work on me twice"
>>
>>14040010
>you can have your character be hotblooded and consistently succeed, and still be unpopular with the fans
buh lee dat, babbygrl
>>
>>14040010
Seiya is less popular not because he is hotblooded,its because most of the other characters were more interesting than him.I agree that his moveset had less variety than the other Bronzes.
>>
>>14040010
>THE WHOLE POINT of fights in Saint Seiya is the concept of "the same move won't work on me twice"
That only applies to Gold Saints because they specifically train their Cosmo so that moves will only work once on them. Outside of them it's not really a concept in the manga/anime.
He wins because the second time he does it it's faster
>>
>>14040033
>He wins because the second time he does it it's faster

ACKSHUALLY, It's more that he just keeps throwing out meteors because eventually one will hit, and if that throws off his opponent's guard then suddenly they're open to hundreds of those things pummeling them. It's based on the "it's not the final strike that broke the rock, but the hundreds that came before it"
>>
>>14040010
Animation-wise, yes it's the same move. When everything's hand drawn and you need to churn out an episode each week, stock footage is needed to save on time, effort, and money.

Attack-wise it isn't actually the same move over and over. Pegasus Ryusei Ken is technically hundreds of trial and error cycles in a moment. Seiya learns from a failed hit, adjusts speed/power/angle, tries again, and repeats until he wins or can't fight anymore.
>>
>>14039402
I disagree. Gai Daigoji was an enthusiastic mecha fanatic.
Kamina, for all of his bolstering and moments of idiocy was an inspiration to everyone, many because of showing how much he cared about everyone around him in his own weird way.
>>
>>14040301
Yeah, Gai seemed like he was just a manchild wanting to live out his fantasies
Kamina was more like the Che Guevara of mecha

Both characters could have been much better than they were had they stayed in the show longer though, I'll say that
>>
>>14039379
When the character comes up against another who actually knows how to fight by striking "through" their enemy
>>
File: oh shit space nigger.png (686KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
oh shit space nigger.png
686KB, 700x700px
>>14039655
>Fucking at freezing temp in Ohio today, less than a week from April
>>
File: 1456728391297.jpg (66KB, 851x623px) Image search: [Google]
1456728391297.jpg
66KB, 851x623px
>>14041154
>my county in SoCal gets 3 months of 40-60 degree weather for winter
>tfw 10 inches of rain is considered good
>for the year
>>
>>14040369
>how to fight by striking "through" their enemy
Is that supposed to be some bad SRW joke or what?
>>
>>14041200
>mfw NorCal
>get such perfect temps that anything below 60 is too cold and anything above 80 is too hot
>mfw east coast fags whine about cold
>mfw look outside at perfect 68 degree winter day
>>
>>14041347
It's literally how any fighting practice teaches you to strike.
You don't aim for your opponent. You aim one foot behind him so your fist/foot/elbow/dick makes contact and continues to drive through rather than stop on impact.
It's Fight Science 101.
>>
>>14041348
> mfw Virginia this year
> one week 34-40
> next week 75
> next week frost warning
> next week heat and pollen warnings
>>
File: HARDCORE.jpg (227KB, 400x1227px) Image search: [Google]
HARDCORE.jpg
227KB, 400x1227px
>>14041348
Well, more accurately it's like 3 months where those temperatures are possible, and even then they're the daily lows. I love the mildness of it but I wish we had more rain. It gets a little boring, you know?

Also we're in a severe drought and rain would help.
>>
>>14039388
>Jin and Junpei
Fucking nice.
>>
>>14041359
Sounds like literally every mecha show and pilot out there.
>>
>>14041378
Because it's basic common knowledge for anyone who has ever practiced any sort of martial art.
From boxing to kung fu, it all starts with that basic mantra.
>>
>>14041391
Just makes me wonder why anon brought it up.
>>
>>14041369
>Maryland
>weather is without fail always the opposite of what you're planning for
>>
>>14041200
hold me
>>
>>14039379

When they don't have the skills or means to back themselves up, probably?

Like, say, Tamaki in code Geass. Dude had some hot blood in his personality but on top of sitting in a Burai/Gekko when most of the major opponents are in one-offs, he's obviously not a match for anyone above Lelouch in the pilot department. Maybe Ohgi, but he's a low bar as well.

Kouichi in Linebarrels is a consistent display of "hot blood" but his confidence basically gets wrecked by Vardant in their first battle. Early Kouichi is probably an example of what happens when you let the boisterous in hot-blood take over your mannerisms in a bad way, kind of like an anti-Kamina.

Gai Shishio was also obviously hot-blooded as fuck but that didn't avail him much to the snake doktor dude when he got hit with doubt. Then again his power source runs on him being courageous and forward, part of which falls under the usual traits of hot blood, so anything that might trip him up emotionally is going to put a dent in his powers, so I don't think it's a really usable case. So the only usable case out of him is when he's overpowered by sheer force; like, iirc, when the Primevals first appear and basically crush him.

Or the aforementioned Gai Daigoji cases. But I assume you're really looking for examples while in the robot, people usually die if shot good regardless of the series tone/settings unless there's a means of resurrection or preservation.

How do we even decide if characters are hot-blooded?
>>
>>14040010
I thought the whole point of fights in Saint Seiya was to show people surviving having all of their blood punched out. In one case, if I recall correctly, literally all of it.
>>
>>14041547

A character acting in any way, shape, or form at any time in a way I consider unprofessional or unfitting.
>>
>>14041547
In Gai Shishio's case they actually never had courage equal power during the show, that was something FINAL made up and in fact kind of contradicts the way Projectile-X and THE POWER worked during the show. Gai was hotblooded, but he was also smart. He rarely won fights by powering through them, he won because he and his team made good use of the literal toolbox they were equipped with. The only times the fight went to relying on hotblood were times like EI-01 or Zonuda, when literally nothing else was left for them to do but power through and hope the opponent's strength ran out first.

FINAL of course made powering through the first, last, and only option, which I feel was greatly to its detriment.
>>
>>14039379
One of the plot points of G Gundam was that it always ended up getting Domon in trouble during his fights.
The entire point of his arc was that he had to learn to be calm and collected enough to focus.
>>
>>14039469
>>14039501
>>14039573
>>14039820
Okay, sit down and pay attention because this is hard enough to explain IRL and not on 4chan.

Let's start with the yelling. Physically, it does two things. Tightens the gut and forces you to breath. Tightening the gut forces blood to the limbs and I don't need to explain why breathing is a good thing. This does increase your metabolic energy a small bit, makes you more awake for a short time.

Psychologically, it can intimidate your enemy. sometimes, but also reduces tension. Less tension means you're more relaxed, less tense, and can react quicker.

In pre-industrial warfare, overthinking is more dangerous than reacting on instinct. It doesn't take a genius to dodge or parry but hesitate for an instance and you're dead. Fear is far more dangerous than making a rash mistake.

Why is this important? Because up until the 1860s, Japan was an unindustrial nation. They hadn't fought a major war since the rise of the Tokugawa Shogunate in 1600 and were far removed from the horrors of the first world war. Much of their ideas of glory and honor are still stuck in that medieval mindset that most europeans had circa 1600.
>>
>>14039469
>Japanese man was superior to all others that walked the earth because only Japanese people actually had feelings

Ironic considering how little emotion Japanese people can actually show when working their soul crushing jobs.
>>
>>14039388
i know like four of these dudes can some kind individual enlightenment on who everyone is here
>>
>>14044716
Just watch more anime________________________________________________________________
>>
Not a mecha show and everyone on this board probably hates it, but RWBY season 3 had the hotblooded punching hothead who everyone thought was invincible get fucked over twice because screaming loudly and punching was the worst thing to do in those situations and the implications is her mentality is going to completely change as a result.

But then again the MC is just as sprited and fight happy and she's fine, so maybe it's more the hotblooded always works so long as your the protagonist.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.