[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>would like to finish more series >but can only finish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: 1449388395396.jpg (20KB, 614x534px) Image search: [Google]
1449388395396.jpg
20KB, 614x534px
>would like to finish more series
>but can only finish maybe an episode at a time without getting bored/losing focus
>if I lose focus then I might as well not have even watched it

I've been stuck on zeta gundam and votoms for over a year due to this, and all I do is start more series. I've seen the first episode of tons of shit, almost moved through ep. 2 of macross but no dice.

I don't know what it is, manga is never an issue but anime just feels like it drags on forever and ever. What can I do to keep myself watching?
>>
>>14014500
Though not that severe I know this from personal experience.

When you watch anime, the show tells you to basically sit down and shut up and watch for 25 minutes. While if it's a video game or when you read a manga, you control the pace. So the former feels like you're wasting your time, even if what is happening onscreen is actually enjoyable.

What helps me is to turn anime watching time into something more than just watching time. I'm not saying to browse links in the meantime but doing it with a friend or maybe just even eating in the meantime helps.

Or maybe anime is just not for you.
>>
>>14014518
eating might help, that's usually when I watch game center cx

I've also considered making a weekly '/m/ time' where I watch four eps of four different shows, so it's like a weekly block and thus more 'natural' to someone who grew up watching TV.

I do have trouble watching TV in general though, I almost never do it for lack of control of the pace, as you pointed out.
>>
File: 1458374335972.jpg (28KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
1458374335972.jpg
28KB, 540x405px
>>14014500
>I've been stuck on zeta gundam and votoms for over a year due to this, almost moved through ep. 2 of macross but no dice.
Maybe try watching anime thats not shit
>>
>>14014531
dem soundtracks though
>>
>>14014531
I can't imagine how refined your tastes are, anon.
>>
>>14014531
>being an ibofag
>thinking your opinion matters to anyone
>>
>>14014610

His tastes must be like the most fine and advanced digestive system out there: sucking literally all the nutrients and goodness out of sustenance leaving only a husky dried feces
>>
>>14014614
I'm sorry we only ever get the husk after he finishes but I'm glad he was able to enjoy it to its full extent before us.
>>
>>14014500
watch better anime

Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite series are from the mecha genre, but most of them don't have much focus on characters development and get pretty boring after some episodes. Even Dragon Ball Z have more character depth than the average mecha series.

Try watching some good OVAs like Patlabor (the first one) and Gunbuster, they have good character development and are short.

Honestly, I think if it wasn't for my obsession with toys and plamo, I wouldn't have watched half the shit I "like"
>>
I don't get why everyone is saying "watching something you like/watch better anime". The problem is OP very clearly has fucking ADD and should move on to a hobby that doesn't need him to pay attention for more than 5 minutes at a time. Not being able to pay attention to something you don't particularly enjoy for 25 minutes without losing focus is the most obvious sign of ADD.
>>
>>14014677
I'd second this. I don't get how a normal person can have trouble focusing on something, even something boring, for about half an hour.
>>
>>14014677
It depends though. Yes, when you have ADD, you can physically park yourself in front of a task and be practically screaming at yourself to buckle down and pay attention, stare at the screen with all your might, and have it still just not work, not absorb the information. But by the same token, if you can find some particular spark of motivation, or even alternate surroundings, it's amazing how much you can barrel through.

It was like that with ZZ for me, could not get traction to get through it, but once it finally clicked I got in 2-4 eps a night and got through it in a little under two weeks. Or right now, I'm trying to do Gorg and Galient, and alternating between them.
>>
I feel the same.

The problem is, I like to watch anime. After watching a good series I think "holy shit that was a great experience", even if I got bored all the way through it.
>>
>>14014698
>some particular spark of motivation, or even alternate surroundings, it's amazing how much you can barrel through.

If OP can't muster up the motivation to get past the first episode of almost everything he watches, then he's obviously does not have an interest in the medium or genre and should still just move on.

But you have a point. I watch on a TV screen apart from my PC so I don't get distracted with the internet. I still had my phone with me though, and it used to distract me when I got the slightest bit bored. There are quite a few shows I've just half-watched through the corner of my eye while browsing 4chan on my phone, or messaging.
But as soon as I decided put my phone in a drawer across the room whenever I watch things, my attention span has increased tenfold. I burned through the last 20 or so episodes of Tekkaman Blade in one day, after having spent 3 - 4 days "watching" the first 30 episodes largely while on my phone, despite not really liking it too much.
>>
>>14014698
yeah, OP does indeed have ADD, but it's never stopped me before. I watched all of MSG and G Gundam, and the Veela campaign of Votoms was one of the best things I've seen.

>>14014723
I love robots, just want to know more about them so I can appreciate them more. I watch more rider than anything at this point though.

I typically only watch comedy shows, serious plot-driven things tend to bore me though I keep on trying.

Incidentally been watching Macross while this thread runs, episode 3 down and this show's gettin' good. I could only hope for one ship to have so many cute girls on it.
>>
>>14014737
>I typically only watch comedy shows, serious plot-driven things tend to bore me though I keep on trying.

Basically, you typically watch things that don't need you to pay attention for more than the 2 - 3 minutes they'll spend on a gag?

But since you were able to finish MSG, it's just pretty obvious you just don't like or have to motivation to finish the other shows. If you can't get past the second episode, just drop it and start something else.
>>
>>14014677
>>14014737
>Armchair internet diagnosis

This guy here >>14014518 and I'm pretty sure I don't have ADD. In fact I can spend hours doing other things, be it having fun playing video games, assembling models, or working/writing papers. The key lies in that I can control the pacing of what I'm doing.

When I'm watching something and doing only that, my mind screams at me "don't you have something actually productive to be doing instead of this?" Maybe it's because I'm stressed out in general, but just watching a show feels like I'm wasting my time even if I'm technically enjoying myself. The feeling may be suppressed for 25 minute anime episodes, but it's the reason why I barely watch full length movies anymore except as social outings.

tl;dr not my blog I know
>>
>>14014768
I suppose the bigger issue is that I get midway through a series and stop watching. Sometimes I wonder if I just hit the 'slump' of a series and fall off, other times I worry about it ending (I can't bring myself to watch all of Cowboy Bebop or the final episodes of Samurai Champloo, for example). For the slump ones, is there something I can do to remind myself that it will get better (assuming it does)? Or just power through?

>>14014782
well no, I was actually OP saying that I really do have ADD, I was diagnosed when I was 6. I can screencap the (You) if you want.

I do have that same problem with TV/movies though, I'm always thinking about the video games I could be playing or the work I could be doing on my own video game project.
>>
Is this an ADD thread?

>>14014698
I watched through CCA in a week, was pretty good. Victory was a serious hurdle to cross but once I passed episode 4 it became my favorite. Since then I've been trying to take things slow and enjoy them more, otherwise my library would diminish way too quickly (and I need to do things outside of watching mecha).
>>
>>14014789
>well no, I was actually OP saying that I really do have ADD, I was diagnosed when I was 6. I can screencap the (You) if you want.

No need but shit. Now I'm starting to think I might have ADD too.
>>
>>14014804
sometimes I wonder if the world isn't just getting shorter attention spans thanks to the internet. It's so fast now, and you can search for things so quickly, it makes you want everything to be fast. I think I had much better focus before I got a computer.
>>
>>14014782
>playing video games, assembling models, or working/writing papers
Things you're active with. It's different being able to pay attention to an activity that requires you to work with your hands, make decisions, or think in depth about something.

>"don't you have something actually productive to be doing instead of this?"
>just watching a show feels like I'm wasting my time
>I barely watch full length movies anymore
This really just shows you don't actually enjoy watching something, or you just genuinely don't have an interest. If you genuinely feel like you're wasting time or could be doing something better, then you're not enjoying it.
I work the opposite way - I always think "fuck, I could be watching anime right now" or "I could have spent these last two hours watching something", even when I'm doing something I enjoy, like assembling gunpla or meeting up with friends. I understand you might have a different workload, but just get everything done before watching something so you dont have that feeling of "I'm wasting my time"
>>
>>14014810
>>14014810
>just get everything done before watching something so you dont have that feeling of "I'm wasting my time"

interesting notion, I always think of work in very vague 'long-term' goals, so in a sense I never get anything done, at least to me.

I suppose I really ought to change my perception of work.
>>
>>14014804

if you have no problems concentrating on something other than watching tv you probably don't have ADD, you simply might not actually be interested in watching the show or watching TV in general.

A lot of people say they have ADD or be told by people other than doctors that they have ADD because they can't focus on doing something that they have no real interest in, this happens quite a lot in elementary schools back in the old days when ADD was still "new", when in reality it's just some of these kids just weren't interested in sitting down and listening to someone droning on in front of them.

>>14014782
>even if I'm technically enjoying myself
not even sure what this means, you're either enjoy doing something or you don't.
>>
>>14014531
Ha ha yeah man totes! I'm so glad you're here to tell him xD
>>
>>14014712
Like trudging trough S2 of Code Geass, only for it to get epic in the last two episodes. I cried like a little bitch during the finale
>>
>>14014810
>I always think "fuck, I could be watching anime right now"
Are you me? I feel that way all the time, god damn.
>>
>>14014500
Maybe if you take your meds it might help
>>
OP, seek to achieve patricianhood.

Learn to more acutely appreciate the finer aspects of cinematographic construction.

I like that block idea a lot. It shows you understand the importance of time between episodes of serialized programming, so you're already on your way.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.