[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Mecha in manga so rare /m/? You really have to go searching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

File: 1458118964667.jpg (1MB, 1456x1114px) Image search: [Google]
1458118964667.jpg
1MB, 1456x1114px
Why is Mecha in manga so rare /m/?
You really have to go searching to find anything of value.
>>
Most of it is untranslated.
>>
File: 1426357417743.png (114KB, 311x438px) Image search: [Google]
1426357417743.png
114KB, 311x438px
>Why is Mecha in manga so rare /m/?
>>
>>14003297
It's not at all, though. Only thing making it somewhat difficult to find for most people is >>14003301
>>
Even Go Nagai still shits out a manga every now and then
too bad no one cares to even try to TL them
>>
there is still lots of good /m/anga there
>>
Don't care. All I need is muh free jazz.
>>
>>14003297
Thank you for reminding me that the Front Mission manga will stay halfway untranslated
>>
>>14003604
first half of front mission manga was fucking bad
>>
Daily reminder we'll never have proper FM game again in our lifetime
>>
>>14003549
then what are some "good" mecha manga, besides Go Nagai, Nihei stuff, Bokurano, and anything that already had an anime adaptation.

I can't think of many original, riveting mecha series
>>
>>14003673
There was news last years that former producer for Armored Core, Toshifumi Nabeshima was working with Square Enix on the new Front Mission
>>
>>14003688
Not that anon, but you'll probably have trouble getting a long, lengthy list since a lot of good stuff is untranslated and not many people on /m/ have good knowledge of manga. There are things like Boldor, Gun Driver, potentially Battle Thunder if you want something a bit more toku, and even though most people seem to not have high opinions of it, Exaxxion seemed pretty good to me aside from the ending.
>>
>>14003673
There's Dual Gear. Maybe not proper but at least it's not Evolved.
>>
>>14003688
Full Metal Panic! Σ
Appleseed
Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren Ansatsu Keikaku
Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki - Lost War Chronicles
2001 + 5
Android Kikaider
Robot Keiji
Gundam Legacy
Mobile Suit Gundam - We Are Federation Hooligans
Chojuu Kishin Dancouga Burn
Kidou Senshi Gundam U.C. Hard Graph - Tetsu no Kanba
Kidou Senshi Gundam Gaiden - Uchuu, Senku no Hate ni...
Kidou Senshi Gundam Aggai - Hokubei Oudan 2250 Mile
Turn A Gundam - Tsuki no Kaze
Kidou Sensei Gundam - Kokui no Kariudo
Venus Wars
Gunhed
>>
>>14003297
>Why is Mecha in manga so rare
Newfags say the darndest things. There are literally countless mecha manga ranging from the 1960s to today in 2016. >>14003301 is correct.
>>
>>14003875
so I can choose between Gundam, Gundam, Gundam, and stuff that's been adapted in some form?
>>
>>14003875
A good chunk of those come from already existing series that have anime or have an anime though
>>
>>14003896
And that's exactly why they're translated.
>>
>>14003918
Stills goes against what the anon asked for and that doesn't change that.
>>
>>14003894
I just picked up complete scanlated series, did not include any partial or unscanlated /m/anga.
>>
>>14003934
that still goes back to my original point, of there being a disparity of readable mecha manga out there
there is very little original mecha out there, translated or not
>>
>>14003301
Which is a shame, because Mine Yoshizaki's version of Lamune & 40 Fire is said to be far superior than its source show.
>>
>>14003943
There is plenty; your problem is that you're barking up the wrong tree to try and find it.
>>
>>14003923
Not really. All the manga that the anon posted lacked anime adaptations or were originally manga series first.

>>14003943
>there is very little original mecha out there, translated or not
That's bullshit tho
>>
>>14003957
>>14003953
>lol dude there's totally tons of translated great mecha anime!
>j-just don't ask me to name them!!
>>
File: 1457575670379.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1457575670379.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
Using the mangaupdates database,,,

let me remind you that not all manga released in japan is in the database.

completely scanlated /m/anga are 4 pages.
all /m/anga from the database are 14 pages.

there is at least 10 pages with lots of manga that who dont know japanese couldnt read it and found pretty good for you taste.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?genre=Mecha&perpage=50
>>
>>14003966
I was just about to post that. Thank you for saving me the trouble.

>>14003962
We're talking about mecha manga though, not anime. Did you lose track of the conversation or something?
>>
There is no definitive list of Japanese robot and sci-fi manga. You're asking for the impossible. A lot of early 70's stuff never even got collected into bunko, most of it has never been scanned (that goes for even non-mecha manga), even less of it is uploaded online and a fraction of that is known to the English community.

Here's a very incomplete list with some wrong info, but still has a decent number of titles. But it's missing quite a lot, since it really only covers small parts of well known series. But it's written as an overview anyway.
http://ch.nicovideo.jp/torima/blomaga/ar581709

Here's a link with some people talking about suggestions for things to read
http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1037565025

You really have to do a lot of searching in Japanese to even get a clue. That's the breaks.
>>
>>14004046
Shame information is so scarce.
>>
File: !.jpg (211KB, 702x1000px) Image search: [Google]
!.jpg
211KB, 702x1000px
>>14003966
Here, I updated the list with more information about some /m/anga, there was a lot of old information like number of volumes or if it was ongoing or finished:

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?page=1&orderby=rating&perpage=50&filter=no_releases&genre=Mecha
>>
>>14003494

Because they're shit, why bother?
>>
>>14003301
Can't even find raws for the Dragon's Heaven manga.
>>
>>14003560
Fuck yeah thunderbolt
>>
>>14003297
Front Mission manga is freaking brutal, how the hell do they even get a greenlight for it since the games are nothing like it

so much rape in it and brutal cruelty, love it but damn
>>
>>14017019
I guess you haven't played Gun Hazard.
>>
File: 1413248173943.jpg (119KB, 267x529px) Image search: [Google]
1413248173943.jpg
119KB, 267x529px
Cruise Chaser Blassty scans when.
>>
>>14017702
is it like the manga?? i know it is not part of the same universe and is a side scroller
>>
>>14024189
It's brutal.
>>
The problem is translation, as many anons have said. Unfortunately, the people who scanlate for the most part just aren't /m/en. It only took till like 2008ish to translate Crossbone. Honestly, even for gundam it's pretty rough.
>>
>>14003297
There is a bunch of it. It just never gets translated, so you never heard of it.

When I bought a copy of the magazine Shin Mazinger Zero was in, there were at least two other mecha manga in there. Never seen them before. Or since.
>>
>>14007989
>mecha with frilly dresses
i'm in
>>
>>14017019
it's freaking edgy. it just feel try hard to be something serious and brutal
>>
File: Godbird00.jpg (136KB, 640x907px) Image search: [Google]
Godbird00.jpg
136KB, 640x907px
In order to get a translated manga, first you need raw scans. The Japs seem less willing to scan and share their stuff online these days, so the production of raws falls to gaijin that can afford to import the books and have the know-how, resources and patience to scan at good quality. Once you do have raws, then you need a translator willing to do the job. Just because somebody can translate doesn't mean they will do just anything; personally, I only translate things that I really like myself, because it takes time and effort and I do it for free. The reward is the learning experience and being able to allow more people to enjoy the work in question. Of course I can only speak for myself, but I imagine other translators have similar feelings. I also do my own editing, but for translators that don't, you'd need a third person to do that.
So you need two or three people to perform these three functions, and they all need to be interested in the same kind of stuff since this is all essentially a passion project. It's like a little alignment of planets. Specially for a niche genre like mecha, even more so for obscure and/or old stuff.

Sometimes it works out: Mazinger Otome got translated because a dude right here on /m/ bought and scanned the volumes, and I was here interested in translating it. But sometimes you'll see raws without a translator; I saw the Dancouga Burn raws floating around for years, untouched, before I decided to pick it up myself. And sometimes you'll see a translator without raws, for example, I'd love to take a look at God Bird and maybe translate it if I really like it, but only volume 1 is scanned, and it's at a shitty resolution that would be hell to edit and not worth it if I can't continue anyway.
>>
>>14029827
>It's like a little alignment of planets
Then I guess some groups have been aligning planets for years
>>
>>14029827
Huh, so that's 100% Hasegawa? Looks interesting. Too bad most of his art looks even worse than what he puts on the covers. I don't want him to be generic, but his style could use a little more refinement. The mecha look good there though, much better fit than Gundam.
>>
>>14029827
It should be worth pointing out that Victory V comes first, chronologically speaking. Still, you are correct.

>>14029897
Meanwhile, some groups sit comfortably in the Milky Way (e.g. Hox, Happy Scans, Forgotten Scans), while HnG hangs on to Haley's Comet.

>>14029924
Most of Hasegawa's works have non-Gundam mecha in them, really.
>>
There's a LOT of mecha manga.

...and most of it isn't really worth knowing about trust me.
>>
>>14030719
I won't take your word for it.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.