[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pardon me /m/ but I've just finished Giant Robo and it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 13

File: boyhood.png (4MB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
boyhood.png
4MB, 2880x1800px
pardon me /m/ but I've just finished Giant Robo and it's the best coming of age show ever. please educate me more and teach me your ways.
>>
File: whenthegetterrayshityoujust.png (83KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
whenthegetterrayshityoujust.png
83KB, 557x605px
>>13990723
You've already seen everything you need to see. Now you will live your life in bittersweet melancholy, knowing that no mocha show will ever be as good as Giant Robo. It really is a shame it's not more popular around here.
Anyway here's some stuff you might like:
>G Gundam
>Zeorymer OVA
>Gunbuster
>any other Imagawa show
>First two Getter OVAs

Seriously though GR is the best thing I have ever watched. Gotta give a rewatch sometime
>>
>>13990751
Oh, also FLCL, but it's a little abstract. Not bad though.
>>
>>13990723
Now watch Tetsujin 28 2004, G Gundam and Shin Mazinger.
>>
>>13990776
I've seen the first episode of shin mazinger. I was confused as shit. was it right for me to respond that way? should I still give it a shot?
>>13990751
Thanks my /m/an! I will definitely take your word.
>>
>>13990807
The first episode of Shin Mazinger is a jump ahead to later in the series. The second episode explains everything, and is a nice introduction if you don't know anything about Mazinger Z.
>>
In that case, you could try out Giant Gorg. It's like if King Kong was turned into a TV show, but it's set almost entirely on the island and King Kong is now a giant robot.

There's also Da Garn and J-Decker, which are cool for different reasons.
>>
>>13990807
>>13990825

shin mazinger's episode 1 was a pilot episode.

Imagawa and his staff thought up a bunch of cool scenes that could happen in the series. Then he thought up about how all the pieces connected in the following episodes.

Shin Mazinger according to his own words was really hard to do because of that, but he wanted to match Go Nagai's make up shit as I go along kind of storytelling as a challenge to himself.

I thought the show wrapped up pretty nicely, which is a miracle, given the circumstances.
>>
>>13990751
>It really is a shame it's not more popular around here.
because it's not that good
>>
File: 186tclulokdv7jpg.jpg (37KB, 639x478px) Image search: [Google]
186tclulokdv7jpg.jpg
37KB, 639x478px
>>13990931
Do you have a single fact to back that up?
also Gundam gets discussed here all the time, so quality shouldn't be a problem
>>
>>13990723
The "coming of age" story is the absolute worst part of Giant Robo though.
>>
File: 1419863577147.gif (4MB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
1419863577147.gif
4MB, 630x354px
>>13991600
Easily the best part of GR is the treatise on the interpretation of our elders intentions based on our own skewed and youthful assumptions or how we've been taught to feel about people through others.

The "coming of age" part of this was almost a red herring due to the fact that given the story's ultimate portrayal of Vogler, you can't trust in any of the flashbacks of the series(due to the meddling of everyones unique perspectives). Which could mean Daisaku's father might be a complete piece of shit and knowingly damned his son. So Daisaku resolving to use Giant Robo is probably the worst possible thing he can do for the world at the end of the OVA
>>
>>13991646
Always impresses me how people can say nothing with so many words.
>>
>>13990931
>implying /m/ knows what's good and what isn't around here
kek

get fucked. nothing /m/ endorses these days is even remotely good. people still watch garbage like g reco and ibo and expect other people to follow suit.
>>
>>13991662
What he said is pretty accurate though, maybe aside from the last part since I agreed with Daisaku's decision to use Robo. Giant Robo has a lot of emphasis on how we interpret our elders as kids, like with Emmanuel mistaking Vogler's words as desire for vengeance or Daisaku struggling to find the meaning of his father's dying words.

Come to think of it, you didn't even attempt to refute anything he said. Are you intent of shitting up Imagawa threads now that you've been BTFO on every Getter thread you've tried to kill, anti getterfag?
>>
File: Bashtarlle.jpg (248KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Bashtarlle.jpg
248KB, 1920x1080px
>>13991646
Yeah pretty much
The Bashtarlle flashbacks were the best part of the show
Other than the animation of course
>>
Can someone explain what was so good about it? I thought it was really boring.
>>
>>13992170
>Can someone explain what was so good about it?
The production.
>>
>>13990723

Check out OVAs and Films from the 80's and 90's. Those are the high points of anime and /m/.
>>
>>13992170
The production values. The music. The bombastic characters. The operatic tragedy.The all consuming love it has for the collective works of Mitsuteru Yokoyama. Ginrei's gams.
>>
>>13992357

Yeah, no. Try again.
>>
>>13990723
What did you think of THE TRAGEDY OF BASHTARLE
>>
File: 39.jpg (442KB, 1280x1840px) Image search: [Google]
39.jpg
442KB, 1280x1840px
Never watched it. Do they do the sex?
>>
>>13992577
No, Ginrei bites the big one thanks to her brother.
>>
>>13992619
She was dying before he killed her

Why didn't they just clone her though? Doesn't she get one in her spinoffs?
>>
>>13991646
to be fair, no one knows about vogler's true intentions until that last bit. even daisaku's father only knew big fire was tha big bad and the kid has to use it to fight them and their mecha.
>>
>>13992170
WUXIA
U
X
I
A
>>
>>13992619
>Spoiling GR for someone

This is a crime punishable by your death
>>
>>13990723
>>13990931
>>13992170
>>13992384
It's a comedy show. I mean, really, it's obvious from the first line.

"Giant Robo is the strongest robot in the whole world."

More like, the fucking only robot in the whole world. And the kid rides on top of him? Like, the basic concept of giant robots and mechas is stupid, I can deal with that, but a kid riding on top of this giant robot, while it is fitting is utterly fucking stupid. Even worse, one time he sad in its palm.

The only good thing about Giant Robo is the animation and there are barely any good fights to make them worthwhile. Story, characters, cinematography and everything else is just plain mediocre. One of the worst things it does is treating the viewers as idiots, by overexplaining everything. You know why they do all this? Because it's for kids.

It's truly worth being forgotten.

If you want a good coming of age anime, watch Tekkon Kinkreet.
>>
>>13994566
the ONLY good thing from Tekkon Kinkreet are the backgrounds though.
>>
>>13994566
Zeta still sucks more than Giant Robo ever will, Spic.
>>
>>13994566

> More like, the fucking only robot in the whole world

He fights another robot (a robot train even) in the opening scene alone.
>>
>>13994970
There's at least one robot or monster fight an episode.
>>
It was good but not that great. You niggas need to watch more anime.
>>
>>13994979
i've seen over 3000 amines and you're wrong
>>
>>13994979
>>13995151
>You niggas need to watch more anime.
That really doesn't help, since most anime are around the same level. They need to branch out into other mediums of storytelling. Particular movies and books. Just to see what good cinematography and great stories actually look like.
>>
File: file.png (115KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
115KB, 320x320px
>>13990723
The guy who wrote that made a dog version of it for his Digimon season.

Big O is pretty great and written by him as well.

>>13990828
I second Giant Gorg. For some reason it just struck a chord with me.
>>
>>13995694
fuck shit I got it wrong I didn't know there were two Giant Robo OAVs. Don't yell at me. Big O is still great.
>>
>>13995315

as a guy who just finished 4 years of film school spent watching the work of masters like bergman, fellini, godard, mallick, murnau, etc. and a fan of such authors as joyce and calvino, Giant Robo is easily one of the best anime on a narrative and cinematic level. Imagawa is one of the few true auteurs in the world of anime, everything he creates has his distinctive touch
>>
>>13990723
The 2004 Tetsujin-28 is the natural next step.
>>
>>13999649

Do you mind if I borrow your degree? I need to take a dump soon, and I'm a bit low on toilet paper.
>>
>>13999649
>as a guy who just finished 4 years of film school spent watching the work of masters like bergman, fellini, godard, mallick, murnau, etc. and a fan of such authors as joyce and calvino, Giant Robo is easily one of the best anime on a narrative and cinematic level. Imagawa is one of the few true auteurs in the world of anime, everything he creates has his distinctive touch
>>
>>13999675

you can have it after my interview with starbucks
>>
File: 1365587734834.jpg (21KB, 265x265px) Image search: [Google]
1365587734834.jpg
21KB, 265x265px
>>13990723
I finished Giant Robo recently and story wise it was awful. Shit characters for the most part (muh bahstirle.) And just about everything 'dramatic' involved someone sacrificing themselves for Daisaku. It got really repetitive. Alberto the impact and really much of the BF group were the only really interesting characters, the 'good guys' did almost nothing but cry and complain and say each other's names. That being said the visuals and character design and everything were spectacular and it had a couple of genuinely exciting moments. Also having the whole plot be a result of catastrophic misunderstanding was really just shit.
>>
>>13999730
>That being said the visuals and character design and everything were spectacular and it had a couple of genuinely exciting moments. Also having the whole plot be a result of catastrophic misunderstanding was really just shit.

Pretty much the only reason I gave it an 8 on MAL was because of the visuals and designs, and it did have some good action sequences.
But everything else was painfully mediocre which really prevents it from being anywhere near the "best" of anything. The story was so...bad, and all the characters and parts of how the narrative were so Imagawa I couldn't not dislike them.
If it didn't have the visuals going for it I don't see how this can be anything more than a 5/10 by any scale.
>>
>>13999765
>MAL

Go and stay go.
>>
>>13999775
Nah
>>
File: 1394372533315.png (330KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1394372533315.png
330KB, 640x480px
>>13999730
>Also having the whole plot be a result of catastrophic misunderstanding was really just shit.
But that's the best thing about Imagawa.
>>
>>13999730
>Also having the whole plot be a result of catastrophic misunderstanding was really just shit.

I implore you never to watch anything that even vaguely falls under the category of tragedy ever again so you don't shitpost about those shows on /m/ too.

Huey Lewis and the News would be disappointed in you

>>13994566
It's a model kit advertisement. I mean, really, it's obvious from one of the first lines.

"KAMILLE IS A MAN'S NAME AND I AM A MAN"

More like, a stupid fucking autist who can't decide whether he wants to fight or not. And Zeta can transform? Like, the basic concept of giant robots and mechas is stupid, I can deal with that, but a robot transforming into a plane is fucking retarded. Even worse, one time he impaled a guy in plane mode.

The only good thing about Gundam Zeta is the animation and there are barely any good fights to make them worthwhile. Story, characters, cinematography and everything else is just plain mediocre. One of the worst things it does is treating the viewers as idiots, by overexplaining everything. You know why they do all this? Because it's for kids.

It's truly worth being forgotten.

If you want a good coming of age anime, watch Giant Robo.
>>
File: 1458007222020.jpg (57KB, 245x296px) Image search: [Google]
1458007222020.jpg
57KB, 245x296px
>that one guy who predicted Giant Robo would become hated on /m/ in the Gunbuster thread is right

Zeorymer and Kotetsushin Jeeg are safe though, right?
>>
>>14000987
>"KAMILLE IS A MAN'S NAME AND I AM A MAN"

I realize you're playing copypasta hyperbole, but I just want to go on record as saying holy fuck, have I grown to hate DWG2 for giving us this line.
Seen WAY too many people seriously treating this as an actual line in the series and not a vidya soundbite.
>>
>>14000998

Zeorymer is too niche and shit
>>
>>14000998

> saying it's not great is now hate

Kotetsushin has been getting dismissed for years.
>>
File: zeorymer.png (1003KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
zeorymer.png
1003KB, 960x720px
>>14000998
/m/ has never really loved Zeorymer.

Zeorymer really could have been good. It had everything going for it - outstanding animation, a great soundtrack, a compelling plot concept, interesting character ideas - and it all ended up falling flat because the plot and characters didn't have enough time to develop properly. If it had been 2-3 times longer, it could have been a fantastic series. Unfortunately, it only got four episodes, so it ended up as just a mediocre to decent OVA with a few fantastic scenes.
>>
>>14001088
Just like the source material. So everything works out as it ought to.
>>
>>13994961
You're not wrong. Zeta is a 5/10 and Giant Robo is a 6/10
>>
>>14000998
In this new age of /m/, nothing is safe. The same blind flock of mindless sheep who STILL say G-Reco was shit cannot be tamed. Their collective buttmad could not be satisfied when it ended so now they just call anything and everything shit, regardless of quality.

Oh, and they'll probably tell you to go back to Tumblr if you point out how stupid they sound.
>>
>>14000998
It's obviously going to happen with any show you get tons of people saying "Wow this is the BEST anime I've ever seen wow guys have you seen this this is the BEST!"
You had it with Zeta
You had it with Gunbuster
You have it now with Giant Robo
The more people you have going around saying "X show is the absolute best show ever etc etc", basically showing their new, you'll gradually get more and more other people opposing them. Call it contrarian but positive circlejerking isn't really something that works on sites like 4chan, go to reddit if you want that.
>>
>>14001485

Will you tell me to go back to tumblr if I yell you you sound stupid spouting off that garbage theory and acting above it all?
>>
>>14001550
>spouting off that garbage theory
It's called a joke, dumbass.

>acting above it all
I'm not acting. I am better than you in all ways including physical.

Go back to Tumblr.
>>
>>14001558

If it was a joke then it's hard to tell through text since it fits a lot of dumb posting habits perfectly.
>>
>>13999730
>Alberto
not Tetsugyu as the best grill
>>
>>14001565
In my personal opinion I thought G-Reco was okay but really doesn't deserve the hate it gets.

I will admit I get a huge kick out of disproportionately praising it just because it amuses me to see all these posters get anally frustrated and cry about it.
>>
>>14001588
You're part of the problem, anon. Please don't contribute to the fire.
>>
>>14001485
You called it
>>14001532
>>
>>14001532
>saying a show is the best means you're new

wow I guess we should all just have milquetoast middle of the road opinions
>>
>>14000998
Not trying to play hipster brinskmanship, but I never liked Shin Jeeg. The last two episodes were great, but everything else was bland and felt dragged out, and the MC got on my nerves. Best thing about it was easily Stormbringer and Dead or Alive. Giant Robo's my favorite anime of all time though, and I'm not just saying that because /m/ hates it now.
>>
>>14001088
I think it did pretty good with the episodes it had, but to each their own.
>>
>>14001748

You're talking to an idiot who is implying that any series on /m/ would have a general consensus of being good, so I'm pretty sure you're safe in your opinion. Also, nice shit taste.
>>
>>14000987
>tragedy
Tragedy can be great. It just has to be centered around something sensical. Did he REALLY believe his father wanted global domination? Because of some mumbled last words that could have meant anything?
>>
>>14001897
Global Domination? That's BF's Group motivation, not Genya's.

He thought his father wanted revenge against those that wronged him (e.g the other scientists, the public which covered everything up etc), which isn't really that much of a stretch.
>>
>>14001748
>>14001039
Shin Jeeg gets better on rewatch.

In fact, most Dynamic Pro shows are like this. I even rewatched earlier Jeeg episodes, and it's not as dull as I thought it was once I accepted the show for what it was.

People have wrong expectations all the time.

I loved Getter Robo Armaggeddon on subsequent rewatching. I didn't care for it the first time I blazed through.
>>
>>14001699
>milquetoast
Fancy word

But no. Reserve "the best" for when you've seen a lot. OP clearly hasn't seen a lot.
His decision is thus moot, and deserves to be shat upon.
There's a reason why shows like FMA: B and HxH 2011 get ranked very highly on most sites in the west - you'll get people very clearly new to the medium watching them and deciding "NOW THIS IS THE BEST SHOUNEN EVARR recommend me more pls".
The same can be applied to all the entry-level anime that get called "the best" on 4chan. They're always recommended as being good or great - and people on the 4chan anime especially love to watch recommended anime; we love our charts, that's why we have so, so many of them. So newer folk will watch it, new to the medium or particular genre, and hearing that it's "the best" from a lot of others influences them to think the same despite not having much or anything to compare it to. Then you get the next gen of people who'll parrot it as the best.
Eventually you'll get people who have somehow avoided it until now and have hefty amounts of experience under their belt. Then they watch this supposed "amazing" show or movie, that everyone says is the best. They finish it, and to their surprise it wasn't anything outstanding or magnificent. It was good, but they can't see why anyone would call it the best. They then get annoyed whenever they see someone call it the best. Shitposting starts, and voila, what was once popular is now held with disdain.
As a site we already do this with the opinions of other sites - look at the top 10s of ANN and MAL, any show on there gets shat on big time here and /a/. It happens within boards too, as I said. The popular positive opinion always gets shot down and replaced with a negative one. /a/ used to love OPM. /a/ used to love Type-Moon. /a/ used to love, to an extent, Madoka.
The tastes of a board is not monolithic, and these cycles will always continue.
>>
>>14002891
And don't forget Evangelion.
>>
>>14002741

I only watched Shin Jeeg once and loved it because it hits a lot of my preferences, like legacies. That doesn't, and will not ever mean /m/ liked it and has always done so. The show has gotten a luke-warm reception on /m/ since aired and will probably always do so regardless of my feelings or your advice.
>>
>>14002741
So you have shit taste. Got it.
>>
>>14002891
See, the problem here is that this entire post relies on the premise that "Giant Robo is entry-level."

In what world is Giant Robo entry-level?
>>
>>14002891
op here. I knew about Giant Robo since 2001 or 2002 from SRWA on ps1 but I only got to see the series now. I never intended this thread to blow up like this though. I enjoyed it but I don't consider it as the one best thing cos there is no such thing.
I just want to know what else are /m/'s top choices without fighting since I respect you guys. that's all. no need to be better than anyone else.
>>
>>13999649
>Here are my credentials, which prove that my subjective opinion has far more inherent value than your subjective opinion.

Nobody fucking cares, sperglord.
>>
>>14003384

You do know opinions can be right or wrong, don't you? Unless you mean to tell me someone saying 2+2=7 can't be wrong if it's their opinion.
>>
>>14003399
That wouldn't be an opinion, though. That would be a factual claim, which is entirely capable of being correct or incorrect.
>>
>>14003418

Fair enough, but thinking that someones opinion can't have more value than somebody else's if stupid and incorrect. Like, the opinion of someone who has ten years of experience in a particular field has far more weight than that of somebody who has only one year or no experience in said field.
>>
>>14003431

If they're just giving their opinion on something, not really. If they're giving an opinion on something in the field of which they have evidence of some kind, then it's not really an opinion, but a fact - and so one of them would have more weight yes.
>>
>>14003384

are you fucking retarded? i was responding to a guy who literally said that taste is dependent on your credentials
>>
>>14003371
>No need to be better than anyone else.
What the fuck are you doing here then? This is all 4chan is about, sadly.
>>
>>14002891
Funny, I've never seen Giant Robo on any list. You just described Gundam's fanbase here, in fact.
>>
Does anyone have the patches for the EG (RX782) releases of the first three episodes from Giant Robo? He said he would post the V2 in a batch torrent, but he never made the batch torrent at the end; and the links that he gave to those files expired already.
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=372595
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=373021
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=373153

If no one has them, do you know of any way I should contact him to ask him for a re-upload?
>>
File: 1344817153266.gif (196KB, 615x190px) Image search: [Google]
1344817153266.gif
196KB, 615x190px
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.