[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you get steampunk technology into space? >So far

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: 2016-02-28-18-53-42--184968777.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-28-18-53-42--184968777.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
How would you get steampunk technology into space?
>So far ive got load a shuttle into a steam cannon that is flown into the upper atmosphere.
Could you even get into space using steam punk technology?
>>
>>13956385
Rockets n' shit.
Or some type of superpowered black ice.
>>
>>13956385
I'd glue a bunch of shitty pieces of metal things to my hat and act like a massive faggot.
>>
>>13956385
>Could you even get into space using steam punk technology?
Sure. But would you be able to have steam punk tech that would work in the cold vacuum of space is the real question.
>>
>>13956385
>steampunk
no
>>13956406
this
>>
>>13956417
>>13956417
Nuclear powered ship could produce the power but i imagine a reactor, water turbines etc would be heavy as fuck.
Could expel steam power from the ship to increase velocity?
>>13956406
>>13956440
Memes on memes aside
How could you do it?
>>
>>13956385
Steampunk is shit
>>
>>13956479
>steampunk being fucking retarded is a meme
No, things that you don't agree with aren't memes you child
For fuck's sake your own thread is retarded, "build a nuclear engine to produce water vapor to launch a rocket!" doesn't make any fucking sense, Steampunk exists as a what-if scenario for if there was no modern energy system, putting a fucking nuclear power source into it invalidates the entire point
>>
>>13956507
Just hypothetically talkin here

Why do you sound so mad ?
>>
Op I'm trying to remember the name of this particular book I read, can't even find it via Google search but I remember the way they did that was by building a solid steel cable which went straight up and then basically using a super train to go up it. The series it's part of was known for having weird creatures in the upper atmosphere, like sky squids and flying squirrels who lived their whole lives in the skyno it wasn't the leviathan series. I know what I'm talking about. how about having something like:flying zeppelin really far up making a flying city and then building up from there with towers or a railroad into the sky. . Just an idea.
>>
>>13956621
You mean a space tether/elevator.
>>
>>13956652
Couldn't remember it's name but yeah, that's what they're called. shooting shit into space is overdone in steampunk and just Sci fi in general. Maaaaybe having a giant grappling hook that you shoot up into space and then use it as a base for a space elevator would be a neat idea.
>>
File: 64128.jpg (58KB, 293x475px) Image search: [Google]
64128.jpg
58KB, 293x475px
Pic related does a great job of making the whole steampunk setting believable, also most of it is set during an accidental moon trip. Amazing shit.
>>
>>13956385
>How would you get steampunk technology into space?

With a huge fucking cannon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JDaOOw0MEE
>>
>>13957462

That looks fun, thanks anon
>>
>>13956385
"steam punk technology" doesn't mean anything.

Did you mean "Victorian era technology"? Because the answer is clearly no. Potentially you could put small payloads into orbit using elaborate superguns, but that's about all you could plausibly achieve.
>>
>>13956385
>hmmmm mecha? mechanical? this must be the media equivalent for /g/!
And then the board was killed
>>
>>13957487
what about steam rockets
>>
>>13957531
They're incredibly weak.
>>
>>13956385
Steampunk works best when there's a reason/excuse for technology to remain stagnant during the 19th century like magic.

If this is for an RPG or story of some sort my advice is to get as ridiculous as possible but be consistent about it. Maybe your ships are teleported/warped into outer space and the engines do everything else. Not sure about how you're gonna explain why everyone can still breathe, though.
>>
>>13956385
There's nothing punk about steampunk at all.

The funny thing is, it was named after cyberpunk, but wasn't intended to be punk-like at all...

But the Victorian era does have a lot of opportunity for similar class warfare anyway. But you don't get the fancy steam tech as the poor laborers, so everyone would rather be the equivalent of the megacorps.
>>
>>13956385
If you're in a steampunk setting, odds are that space doesn't even exist, and all that's above you are the clouds where the deities of the world live, or a hard ceiling above which everything mysteriously disappears. Assuming that it's a spherical world to begin with.
>>
>>13956385
you mean the luminiferous aether?
>>
Doesn't steam boil with almost no effort in a vacuum?
Why wouldn't a steam boiler be a boon in space?
>>
>>13956385
19th and early 20th century industrial stylings as spaceships and colonies. Space Zeppelins, Colony Trains, Alien Indians, Tea time, snazzy outfits, hi-tech monocles, etc.
>>
>Space
>Not Aether
>>
File: 1263255039680.jpg (537KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1263255039680.jpg
537KB, 1600x1200px
Nuclear Reactor are already big Steam Turbine.

The steam & cooling isn't actually much of a problem, take spaceship real radiator and make them steampunkish.
The problem is that classic steampunk combustion will use air, which is in short supply up there.

So you'll need more of steampunk magic :
- Antigrav tank
- Enclosed energy core that deplete (think steamboy)
- Pump & organic mixture that put regenerate oxygen
>>
>>13958384
The real problem is that nuclear reactors use water to create steam. Are you going to carry that much water up there?
>>
>>13958384

Everything you described doesn't really fit the steampunk genre, though.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
17KB, 480x360px
It's really too bad that the cool general premise of steampunk has been now associated with wearing some ridiculous brown outfit that doesn't even begin to resemble Victorian-era fashion with bits of random metal and gears stuck onto it and wearing at least three pairs of goggles.
>>
>>13961439
And everything has to be brass. Gears and brass and more goggles than a Digimon protagonist convention.
>>
>>13961316
The steampunk genre is completely retarded. It can't withstand the actual application of rationality because it stops being steampunk pretty much the second you introduce the elements necessary for it to actually be coherent.
>>
File: 1324823529723.jpg (449KB, 1024x794px) Image search: [Google]
1324823529723.jpg
449KB, 1024x794px
>>13961234
I don't mean to be insulting but cooled-off steam turn back into water.
Ground based reactor have an open cycle where new water must be pumped, but Starship would obviously use a closed cycle where the cooled water get back from the radiator.

The radiator will just look primitive with rivet and all.

>>13961892
You say that as if anything else but science could.
Go study the market for smartphone, planned obsolescence, any market and social convention. By the end of the day you should fin some Steampunk setting more logical.
>>
File: 1453611025636.jpg (444KB, 1508x1493px) Image search: [Google]
1453611025636.jpg
444KB, 1508x1493px
>>13956507
Just because you don't want something to be a meme doesn't mean it is not a meme kiddo.
>>
>>13962340
>person calling out Reddit is unsurprisingly the most newfag poster in the entire thread
>>
>>13957874
>There's nothing punk about steampunk at all.

And Monicagate has nothing to do with the Watergate Hotel, it's just how words evolve. No need to get autistic over it.
>>
>>13962352
>memer literally can't come up with a non meme response

How typical. It's retarded newfags like you that are the cancer that killed /m/.
>>
Define steampunk. I'll start: a setting with fictional/impossible applications of steam engines and other 19th century technologies/aesthetics/cultures
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.