[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kickstarter by funi to do a new release of Escaflowne plus a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

Kickstarter by funi to do a new release of Escaflowne plus a new dub

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funimationprod/the-vision-of-escaflowne-a-new-hd-dub-for-the-clas
>>
>>13947074

FUCK OFF! You're a business not a independent. Don't pan handle to do your fucking jobs you shit.
>>
>>13947074
>funi
>owners of the DBZ cash machine
>gib moni pls
no really fuck you
>>
>>13947080
how terrible of them to reach out so something gets made instead of us not getting a new release
>>
If they really think it's a high risk enterprise to do a new Escaflowne dub (it might be, it's not banking on dub nostalgia), then if they wanna do a system of direct ordering like this I don't really have any problem with

But I do think they should use a platform that doesn't take an astronomical cut like Kickstarter does. Problem is that if it's not on Kickstarter people don't really seem to care though.
>>
>>13947104
The new dub is properly to make the whole thing sounds more justified. Though they really don't need to as this isn't anything new, Bubblegum crisis already did it

> Problem is that if it's not on Kickstarter people don't really seem to care though.
That's cause indiegogo people think it always takes money and then there is really weird stuff like fig
>>
>>13947088

fuck off. They have the money to invest and sell the product. That's how business works.

>>13947108

I don't see what was wrong with the old dub. The new one is probably just gonna be Yrui Lowenthall garbage anyways
>>
Would be neat if there was a platform similar to Kickstarter but more to gauge interest rather than abusing a system made for independents looking for funding.

Like say:

"Hey Americans, you want 4:3 unfiltered BDs of DBZ with both dub and sub? Pledge here, if it reaches 100k you get it"

Instead of only having 16:9 overfiltered shit available because that's what the mass market wants. "I paid for a widescreen TV and I want it filled so I get what I paid for!"
>>
>>13947115
>The new one is probably just gonna be Yrui Lowenthall garbage anyways
He doesn't work for Funi but yes the new dub will be garbage given Funi's habit or reusing the same actors in every dub. Prepare your anuses for Vic Mangina as Vann
>>
>>13947115
>They have the money to invest and sell the product.
And many factors stop them from releasing stuff including fear of products failing which they many time have. You want to know why we get fuck all old mech shows released? Lack of confidence in the product. This means there are loads of things we would never get under normal circumstances unless we are super lucky and a smaller company is able to pick them up

You can just brazenly hate the model all you want but it is now an established one, and seeing as I'd be paying that much for this stuff anyway and it isn't like funimation are just going to run away with the money I don't see the issue

Would you rather not get a new release? No bullshit wah I want it this way would you rather have no campaign and there not be a new release?
>>
>>13947118
>"I paid for a widescreen TV and I want it filled so I get what I paid for!"
Honestly, I think people with this mentality must have some form of brain cancer
>>
>>13947129
>And many factors stop them from releasing stuff including fear of products failing which they many time have.

That doesn't fill me with confidence as a potential backer.

If Discotek can afford to push all these old and obscure shit it does fucking FUNI can push fucking ESCAFLOWNE

>You want to know why we get fuck all old mech shows released?

We're literally getting Gorg and Rayearth BR from Discotek

Larger companies using KS is scummy
>>
>>13947173
>hat doesn't fill me with confidence
How? Do you think they will run away with it? Do you think they will secretly scratch every 10th disk? The product is at it's goal and will be made

>Discotek
Do a small release with no bells or whistles for little shows, there business model is around that. This is meant to be a larger scale release but for whatever factors they weren't sure of it, this proves people want it and thus they get the product. Would you rather a smaller release where many people don't get it?

You also avoided this
Would you rather not get a new release? No bullshit wah I want it this way would you rather have no campaign and there not be a new release?
>>
Funi shills pls go
>>
>>13947182
Will the new release be an improvement?
>>
>>13947182
>How? Do you think they will run away with it?

>Hey we don't think this shit will sell but you should fund it anyways

Im getting real sick of you fanboy twats defending companies so you can buy the privilege of sucking their dicks
>>
>>13947187
It's a bluray release which I assume is based on nip one. I have never been able to find them all on dvd anyway so that is just an improvement anyway
>>
File: 1420495065667.jpg (8KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1420495065667.jpg
8KB, 240x240px
>have to spend $175 to get the original dub
>probably not even gonna try to get any of the Ocean cast back
I'm sure the new dub will be fine but it's gonna be VHD all over again where my nostalgia will get in the way of any enjoyment.
>>
>>13947173
>If Discotek can afford to push all these old and obscure shit it does fucking FUNI can push fucking ESCAFLOWNE
You've just inadvertently hit exactly the point of this. 'Old obscure shit' has little expectations of big sales, so the licensing is dirt cheap. Escaflown was a fairly big property and is much more well known, hence, a more expensive license. However, if the license is overblown and there's not that many people interested, it's a much more expensive fuck-up than say, Mazinger Z, which, honestly, how many people (in the western market) outside of /m/ have even heard of?
Saging because this is a shill thread, but it does make a certain amount of sense.
>>
>>13947128
>He doesn't work for Funi but yes the new dub will be garbage given Funi's habit or reusing the same actors in every dub.

To be fair, the old Escaflowne dub was populated by many of the old familiars of Vancouver.

That's...just how US anime dubs tend to work. It's a pretty closed system. There's a reason more releases have been going subs only.
>>
when is Diskotek releasing Gaiking anyway?
>>
>>13947242

Im still waiting on the Iria release
>>
>>13947074
>FuniDubs
Fuck no, they've all been awful recently.
>>
>>13947171
It comes from them either not understanding or not caring about aspect ratio. Seriously, I prefer watching things in their original aspect ratio but most arguments between which is better basically just boil down to shouting matches and dismissing the others tastes.
>>
>>13947171
There is one guy on this very board who always posts stretched screenshots and claims that he paid good money for his screen so he wants to use all of it.

I dunno if he is a troll or just a complete moron.
>>
File: both.jpg (7KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
both.jpg
7KB, 228x221px
>>13947354
>>
>>13947074
>>13947088
Fuck off marketer.
>>
>>13947074
Is Escaflowne that good that it needs a $175 price tag on it?
>>
>>13947442

No. No anime is that good. Fuck I don't think you can even sell them like you used to at those prices these days.

I see more box sets for full series under 50 than anything else
>>
>>13947456
You'd only pay 2 dollars per episode for a BD release? Do you remember what buying VHS tapes was like?
>>
>>13947470

Go to Amazon, spend 5 minutes and look at how much cheaper shit is now. 175 is ludicrous. I got all of Majestic Prince for less than 80. On Blu Ray. When it was new.
>>
>>13947088
/v/ here
People like you are why good things die.
Funimation is a fully backed company, it is their job to produce content. If they are not confident in their abilities to make a profitable return on a product, they shouldn't make it.
Kickstarter is a system for people with no capital to fund a product, not for companies like Funimation to double-dip their audience at no risk to themselves.
Also, Funimation's use of Kickstarter demonstrates they have no real intent to put effort into this series to make it profitable, as they'll have the entire budget of the show + marketing up front. So enjoy it being half-assed and defended by hordes of donators with backers' remorse.
>>
unless they say who's gonna be in the dub first and foremost why would I back it on good faith?
>>
>>13947486
>they shouldn't make it.
so you'd rather not have it cause you've decided the product will be bad? Even though kickstarter has cause decent products to be made, including anime be created and rereleased?
>>
>>13947497
>so you'd rather not have it cause you've decided the product will be bad?

Id rather not have it because THEY'VE already decided the product will be bad.

>Even though kickstarter has cause decent products to be made, including anime be created and rereleased?

Mighty Number 9
>>
>>13947497
They shouldn't make it if they don't have enough confidence in it being profitable to use their own funding to back it.

That's not even touching on the likelihood that, like all Kickstarter campaigns, this will probably get overfunded like crazy and the extra cash will be spent on hookers and blow.

If Funimation believed giving this show a redub would be profitable they would have gone the Dragonball Z Kai route with it years ago.
>>
>>13947074
FUCK YOU
FUCK THIS
>>
>>13947501
>THEY'VE already decided the product will be bad.
That's not true at all, you've assumed kickstarter equals bad and that it will come in used toilet roll. The details on the page if you actually read it do not suggest this would be a horrible release.

>Mighty Number 9
Shovel Knight. We can go back and fourth on this

>>13947507
>They shouldn't make it if they don't have enough confidence in it being profitable
So we should not get things cause some old men in a boardroom are scared? That is how we missed out on so many good things

>this will probably get overfunded like crazy and the extra cash will be spent on hookers and blow.
Jesus you have been on that /v/ koolaid
>>
File: scrooge.jpg (37KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
scrooge.jpg
37KB, 400x300px
>>13947517
>That's not true at all,

It most certifiably is. IF they decided the product was good they would have funded it themselves.

This isn't complicated.
>>
>>13947088
I'm not paying kikestarter so that the most notoriously awful dubbing company can ruin some Blu-Rays, least of all when they can already afford to do it themselves.
>>
>>13947517
>>They shouldn't make it if they don't have enough confidence in it being profitable
>So we should not get things cause some old men in a boardroom are scared? That is how we missed out on so many good things

>durr all the people making decisions in extremely profitable media groups are old men out of touch with the media they profit on hurr
Get that shit out of here, at least try to type a coherent response.
Fun fact: Mecha anime, particularly older mecha anime, has become very niche in the west in recent years. Because of that, it has become far less profitable to focus resources on dubbing or releasing that genre of show.
Funimation knows this. They also know they can capitalize on a niche genre by letting the audience circlejerk itself, and even if the end product is weak, it won't matter because A: the product has already been funded with minimal investment and B: the audience that funded it will consume the product out of fallacy that "it's all they're going to get"

By supporting companies abusing crowdfunding, you're literally inviting them to exploit the fact that your a vocal member of a niche audience. You are telling them they don't have to try, and it stands to reason that they won't fucking try.

The other alternative is to demonstrate to the same company that you want a specific product, of a certain standard of quality, AFTER THE FACT. Again, Kai is the best example of this, the DBZ audience demonstrated for a long time that they wanted more DBZ with certain standards of quality control, and it was done.
>>
File: 1382728784405.png (211KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
1382728784405.png
211KB, 500x270px
Is it bad I'd rather pay more to have the original dub track as option?
>>
>>13947555
>They also know they can capitalize on a niche genre by letting the audience circlejerk itself, and even if the end product is weak
You haven't actually made a point why it is bad here. Calling it a circlejerk just isn't a point. You assume it will be bad when there hasn't been anything wrong with recent box sets they have made. I doubt the dub will be anything special but I'm not buying it to listen to the dub same with any anime I buy

>exploit
By releasing more shows? I really don't see how. If this was just instead a preorder most people who would buy it would do that as well, there is no real difference

You keep throwing words like exploit and capitalise around without making any real point, just that people are giving them money for a product to be made so that is bad
>>
>>13947580
>You haven't actually made a point why it is bad here.

Because they're not doing their jobs. Without the fear of risk on their end there's no incentive to provide a quality product
>>
>>13947580
>giving them money for a product to be made
With no assurance of quality and no need on the creators' behalf to meet any kind of quality benchmark. You're literally paying people to make a product with no indication of the quality of that product.
It's true that Funimation will likely carry out this rerelease with no major flaws, but you're setting the precedent for this kind of thing to be repeated in the future, and going forward Funimation loses any potential risks when their products are being bought and paid for by other people. If crowdfunding starts to become a trend for Funimation, then you're going to start seeing quality drop like a rock.

If Funimation were really doing this in good faith you'd see a list of quality standards (the VAs for the dubs, etc) and they'd refuse to go over the initial backing amount. They're not just doing this to give fans a new release of the show out if charity.

All of the money for this is coming up front. Would you buy a car that hasn't been built yet up front?
>>
>>13947586
>Without the fear of risk on their end there's no incentive to provide a quality product
But that simply isn't true. Look at the bubblegum crisis rerelease. Same deal without a dub, great quality product. You have made an assumption that they will not deliver but when we look at what they actually put out and when this sort of thing has been done before the quality has been fine to great.

If they don't deliver what it says on teh page which is a HD version on bluray, dub and sub, "chipboard housing box and art cards featuring illustrations from the series. " whatever a clipboard box is plus whatever extras then people would push back and take action as that is the product failing.

You have very little to say they won't do it outside of your general hate towards kickstarter, never mind you seem to have this concept of paying for a product to be made is something new and always leads to poor quality
>>
>>13947610
>then people would push back and take action as that is the product failing.
The product can't fail though, because it's alteady been bought and paid for.
Again, take some /v/ experience to heart - Tim Schafer got 3.3 MILLION dollars to make a $400,000 budgeted game. He released HALF of the original concept, pocketed the money and is now repeating that process. Nobody did anything, nobody could do anything. Kickstarter doesn't obligate the creators to show how money was spent or to return unused funding, and it's a donation.

There's no risk to crowdfunding, that's the problem inherent with the concept.
>>
>>13947610
>paying for a product to be made is something new and always leads to poor quality
Kickstarter is donations, not payment. I'm not legally bound to do anything with the money you give me for X Project, and since none of that money is mine, if my product fails I lose nothing.
>>
>>13947609
>With no assurance of quality
What benchmark are we talking here? They need to make what is on the page. this isn't like when it is a game and they can say well yeah the art style changed, if it comes and you don't get the disk + plus extras ordered then you can make a claim

>It's true that Funimation will likely carry out this rerelease with no major flaws
Then there isn't an issue

>ut you're setting the precedent for this kind of thing to be repeated in the future
This is not a new thing though, they can't set a precedent for something done before

> loses any potential risks when their products are being bought and paid for by other people.
Okay lets actually look at this. if this means they do another and just go "yeah this will be in a paper case and not in hd" people won't just blindly jump on it. They will go hey this isn't as good as last time. You could make this exact argument for any product

>They're not just doing this to give fans a new release of the show out if charity.
No company does anything out of charity. You may as well start complaining anything you buy
>>
>>13947625
>The product can't fail though, because it's alteady been bought and paid for.
You don't know how kcikstarter works. If people didn't actually get a HD bluray in however they describe it people can and will complain. You have proven how much people love complaining about anything

>Again, take some /v/ experience to heart
Okay, Project of Eternity was great. I already explained the difference with a game and a set product in that last post

>>13947629
Actually there have been court cases where people were in fact forced to pay back the money.
>>
>>13947625
Agreed. The incentive to create a product from a business perspective (not from a creative perspective which is more what Kickstarter is for) is to make it profitable. That means taking a risk in hopes of a reward. If you already have the money there is no incentive to create a good product except for reputation but companies can take hits to reputation fairly well. The entire business model is absolutely fucktarded and it isn't what Kickstarter should be used for.
>>
>>13947632
You're so naive it's hilarious.

If Funimation took money for this release and fucked the dub up and only released half the episodes, guess what would happen?
Nothing. They're under no obligation to make the thing they're advertising on Kickstarter.
And you can say that people would then refuse to fund that second project, but that's been shown to be wrong over and over again in the real world. Most people are ignorant of the products they back, and since Kickstarter doesn't obligate you to produce what you advertise, getting morons to feed you money is just a question of attractive marketing.

If you want to believe that a company has your tastes and interests in mind over making money, feel free to invest in their products sight-unseen. But don't pretend you aren't inviting them to fuck you over.

Crowdfunding is the equivalent of givinng some random fuck whose rent is due in a week a blank check and saying "take only what you need"
>>
>>13947638
>If people didn't actually get a HD bluray in however they describe it people can and will complain.
Oh no, complaining. Does nothing

>court cases
Source
Because Kickstarter has it plastered all over their website that nobody is under any obligation, and all money is donations. At most, people got money back for not being given a physical copy of a product that reached funding, and those cases wouldn't account for 1/10th of total funding.
>>
>>13947643
This. If this were a kickstarter for a non-profit fan project like a fandub or "Abridged" then there wouldn't be an issue. Giving money to a company that already makes money so they don't have to spend money is fucking backwards.
>>
>>13947074
>Escaflowne
literally who cares
>>
>>13947643
>The entire business model is absolutely fucktarded and it isn't what Kickstarter should be used for.

Id like to say Im surprised KS even allows it but they get their cut no matter what happens
>>
>>13947650
>Nothing.
You're so naive it's hilarious.
http://siliconangle.com/blog/2015/09/14/court-orders-creator-of-failed-kickstarter-to-pay-over-54k-in-fines/

Also this isn't the only time
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/failed-kickstarter-project-forced-by-ftc-refund-backers-112000-landmark-case-1505864

Also it is now easier to get money back
http://valleywag.gawker.com/it-just-got-easier-to-sue-failed-kickstarter-campaigns-1637720027

I bet you have a load of meme ones you pull out to shout about how they failed but have you ever really looked into this? Cause it seems not

>but that's been shown to be wrong over and over again in the real world.
Red Ash
>>
>>13947671
You do realize by posting those sources, you're just demonstrating the pattern of kickstarter campaigns fucking up, right?
Actually think about that.
You may be right and Kickstarter may be starting to try and reverse the trend, but the fact that trend exists just validates my earlier points. If the problems weren't so obvious, Kickstarter wouldn't be trying to fight them.
>>
>>13947679
Yep anon, nothing good has ever come out of kickstarter. 2 card games are certainly a pattern, just ignore anything good like FTL, Divinity or shadowrun cause they aren't a trend
>>
>>13947539
>most notoriously awful dubbing company
Whoa now, they ain't great but they're still miles better than Sentai and whatever the fuck Media Blasters has been trying to do.
>>
File: haman is incredulous.jpg (50KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
haman is incredulous.jpg
50KB, 960x720px
>>13947702
>https://www.kickstarter.com/help/stats

>Started projects: 285,916
>Successful projects: 101, 189
>>
>>13947702
Yep anon, nothing good has ever come out of listening to an argument, just ignore and post unrelated garbage like shitposting and false equivalences, cause they aren't a fallacy.

Nobody ever said there weren't good products on Kickstarter. The argunent was that funded companies should nit be given money up front with no standards or benchmarks because it invites abuse of the investor. This is pretty damn basic business here anon, but shitpost loud enough and even common sense melts away.
>>
>>13947723
And that's ignoring the numbers of "completed" projects that didn't deliver on half of what was promised, the real number is probably less than 100,000
>>
>>13947723
Anon you realise that 101,189 is the number for funded projects and that you lose nothing for unfunded? That other 185k didn't steal money, they don't exist in any form now and the only person who lost out was the person who put it up

>>13947725
>just ignore and post unrelated garbage like shitposting and false equivalence
Fuck you mr pot

>Nobody ever said there weren't good products on Kickstarter
Yet your whole point is trying to create that exact atmosphere, making up a load of shit in the process and not even doing basic research like if there have ever been court cases
>>
>>13947746
>making up a load of shit
Leel
>basic research
Burden of proof was on you for that, and again your proof just validated my points.
>>
>>13947442
I'd argue it is, but not even I would pay for that amount for Escaflowne.

In whatever case, I'd rather just buy the Japanese BDs, instead. I have no need for subs or dubs.
>>
My old DVD's are just fine, thanks.

If they want to make it, they don't need kickstarter money, as they are already an established company.

Don't give me any "gauging interest" bullshit, that's what market researchers are for.
>>
Functionally, this seems similar to the way Japanese companies put all of the risk on their customers - the use of Kickstarter just looks like an obfuscating factor to me. But I guess that's the point we're at, where we're so desperate to not get stabbed in the back that we ask for companies to treat us like NEETs and thank them for the pleasure.
>>
>Dub
What a fucking waste of time and money
>>
Do they even say WHO'S gonna be in the new dub? Because that's the kind of info Id like to know prior
>>
shills pls go.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.