[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Galact ic-Heroes-Vol-Dawn/dp/14

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: logh volume 1.jpg (426KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
logh volume 1.jpg
426KB, 1200x1800px
http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Galactic-Heroes-Vol-Dawn/dp/1421584948

Just 10 days, /m/. Have you preordered yours?
>>
I spent my spare money on cardboard crack, sorry.
>>
I'm getting it once I fixed up my room to be a more comfortable environment. Also, is it worth getting it translated? don't know much about Haikasoru.
>>
>>13926242
All You Need is Kill and Yukikaze were fine, didn't read anything else from them.
>>
>>13926257

Ah, I was trying to make sure the translation wasn't shoddy or anything.
>>
Fuck, I'll have to import it from Germany, but I guess it's worth it.
>>
I got vol.1 and 2 pre-ordered.

Guess vol.3 should coming up for pre-order soon.
>>
What the hell? When did all this based translated shit come out?
>LotGH
>Oyasumi Punpun
>I am a Hero
>Log Horizon
>Franken Fran
I wasn't trying to keep up on this stuff but I figured that news would have filtered to me eventually. How the hell am I gonna pay for all this?
>>
Preordered it on A-HAPPY NEW-YEAR!!

>>13926570
I mentally jumped up and down when I peeked into a B&N and saw Master Keaton and Jojo volumes sitting on the shelf. Ever since Origin's run started, we've entered into a golden age.

Also, Baccano! novels.
>>
First two on preorder and looking forward to this one.
>>
File: 1456482156120.jpg (41KB, 552x414px) Image search: [Google]
1456482156120.jpg
41KB, 552x414px
>>13926216
I saw the show so I don't see the appeal in this? Am I just going to be getting a denser version of the same story? Being a translation and science-fiction doesn't help it much either, since that probably means plot is all it will have going for it.
>>
>>13926842
>since that probably means plot is all it will have going for it.

That's kinda how books work. They rely on plot and characters because it's all just words.
>>
File: 1456507847354.jpg (133KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1456507847354.jpg
133KB, 600x600px
>>13926874
I don't have a reaction image smug enough to express how superior to you I feel right now. This is probably the most appropriate one I have.
>>
Preordered first 2 PB, will probably get the audio from Audible though waiting before using a credit to preorder to see if they do a get it cheaper if you buy the Kindle copy deal like some books
>>
>>13926216
Preordered a while ago. Can't wait~

>>13926842
I think there might be some differences in characterization and stuff, and perhaps more background material. An anon posted a preview and the start of the book has a lot of the information we saw in the history episodes, so if that stuffs at the very beginning alone I figure we might get a lot more worldbuilding than we did in the show.
>>
are they going to do digital also or only print?
>>
>>13926878

Superior over what. That's how the mediums work, it's why things like exposition are fine in books. Honestly the pacing of the OVAs always felt like they were trying to be too close to the books.
>>
Will there be an audiobook? I'd jump on that shit.
>>
Will there be an audiobook? I'd jump on that shit for sure.
>>
>>13927115
Yes, it's already up for preorder at Audible
>>
>>13927106
If you think the only strength a book can have over tv is a denser plot you're wrong.
>>
>>13927064
There'll be an ebook too.
>>
>>13927500

It's not that it's denser, it's that it has a greater focus due to a lack of visuals in the medium (unless the book has pictures obviously).

But I'm bad at explaining this so I'll just quote Harlan Ellison

>I think the printed word is the perfect medium. I think a book is the perfect cassette. You can start it wherever you want, you can stop it wherever you want. You can run it backward anyway you want. It has absolute perfect pitch and tone and color and characters look exactly as you wish them to look and they sound exactly as you wish to hear them. It's the perfect cassette.
>>
Don't they use Starship Troopers-like armor in the books instead of medieval weapons and shit? Don't get me wrong, I love the "l-losen littah?" but it always struck me as a odd choice for ground battles.
>>
>>13932428
I think the idea was that the armor blocked lasers but not good ol' fashioned melee weaponry weilded by crazy bastards with their own strength enhancing armor. Louis Mashengo throws a fucking marble column at some Imperial troops at one point in the OVAs.
>>
File: Mittermeyer and Reuenthal.jpg (133KB, 525x840px) Image search: [Google]
Mittermeyer and Reuenthal.jpg
133KB, 525x840px
>>13932466
I think the reason they didn't use lasers was Zephyr particles or something. I'll have to wait till I get my copy to see how the armor is treated, but I know from the manga they used axes and stuff too.
>>
>>13932487
At some points in the OVA, too much battleship fire going in at once starts doing weird bullshit like shoving ships around and causing random explosions, so maybe te same thing applies to regular firearms in confined spaces. Which would be very very bad inside a ship. I don't recall if they ever actually explain why that happens in the OVAs.
>>
Is it weird that Sentai haven't announced anything further on the OVA releases yet?
>>
File: LOGHProsit.jpg (104KB, 1191x842px) Image search: [Google]
LOGHProsit.jpg
104KB, 1191x842px
>>13926216
Aww yeah, thanks for reminding me OP.
>vol. 2 ships on my b-day
Happy early b-day to me!
>>
>>13926570
>Oyasumi Punpun
>I am a Hero
What?
Really?
>>
>>13933143
Also Blame!
>>
>The Legend of the Galactic Heroes will be released from Viz Media's Haikasoru imprint. Haikasoru has the first three volumes scheduled, starting with volume one in spring 2016, and will release more depending on the success of the first three.

Welp, I had already preordered the first two volumes for myself, but it looks like my buddy is getting his own pair.
>>
>>13926257
Both of those are different translators to be fair
>>
File: logh axe charge.gif (790KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
logh axe charge.gif
790KB, 500x375px
>>
>>13926216
got mine today and I am very satisfied. I am pleased and for me it is an addicting read.

Pre-ordered volume 2.
>>
>>13942910

Did they accidentally ship it to you and would you say it reads more like War & Peace or Foundation? Also do they keep in the illustrations from the originals? I have a volume 4 in Japanese and there is a picture of some empire soldiers in one of the pages.
>>
Yeah that's cool and all, but when's Unbroken Arrow?
>>
...aaand some fucker tried to scam my credit card. With that frozen, I'm prob. gonna have to reorder when I get the replacement.

Thanks a lot, dickhole!
>>
>>13943921
no accident. I just pre-ordered it way back.
You asked for War & Peace or Foundation.

Hard to tell, since I personally didn't read both yet. Not that I am not interested, but I still have other books (not /m/ related that I need to finish).

They feature no illustrations. Well, you might probably say this is a minus point, but actually I tending to view it positive.

Why? If LOGH is being picked up by a random science fiction interested person, who doesn't have any experience with Japanese science fiction might be attracted.

Illustrations are not a common feature in western Science Fiction literature, at least the books I know. They exist, but they are the exception not the rule.

As a fan, I find it a little disappointing, but since the translation worked for me (I don't read and speak Japanese) without problems so-far, I can only encourage every /m/ember to purchase Volume 1 and pre-order 2.

>>13944781
This so much! Unbroken Arrow, the final installment.

In general I hope and pray that Haikasoru won't let us down. I did recommend it to a friend and he purchased it as well.

Remember Haikasoru is a part of Viz and they couldn't finish Kazuhisa Kondo's adaptation of Mobile Suit Gundam or Go Nagai's Devilman.
>>
>>13943921
I don't think anything in the Haika lineup has retained any illustrations from their respective Japanese versions.

Considering people tend to get triggered by any implication that LoGH is anything but highbrow literature (AFAIK it was part of that camp of pulp-fic and/or YA literature that formed the foundation of the light novel format), the absence of in-book illustration is probably for the best.
>>
>>13926216
Some people seem to be receiving theirs already on twitter.

Anyway if you just can't wait you can read a v1 and 2 TL on LOGH blogspot.
>>
>>13947150
>Illustrations are not a common feature in western Science Fiction literature
Except for cover illustrations. And I swear it's mandated or some shit that the cover artists aren't allowed to have any actual exposure to the story!
>>
>>13947447
Personally I liked the cover art treatment for the current Hammer's Slammers anthologies more than the designs depicted in the between-section illustrations.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.