[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, is this any good? I see it on Netflix but I haven't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: Knights of sidonia.jpg (103KB, 580x821px) Image search: [Google]
Knights of sidonia.jpg
103KB, 580x821px
So, is this any good? I see it on Netflix but I haven't gotten around to it yet. What should I expect?
>>
>>13918824
Give it a pass, read the manga if that's your thing.
It's just not very good.
>>
If you watch it in 60 fps, it becomes ok.

Some of the fights are nice.

I think s1 is something like a 7/10 and s2 is more like a 5/10

Kinda hope it gets another season.
>>
>>13918824
It's terrible
>Lazy cgi
>Worst case of sameface that I've ever seen
>Halfassed harem show pretending to be a halfassed mecha show
>Seriously, everyone looks the same
>No one has a personality except the giant penis monster
>Giant penis monster
>Awful writing
>Season 2 ditched half the cast but instead of bringing in new characters, they just mind controlled the ditched characters into being new characters to save money or laziness.
>Nothing is explained and not because they're trying to be mysterious

At least the mecha action is okay, but there's only like 5 minutes in a whole season.
>>
>>13918824
It's a little bit below mediocre. Not the worst show I've ever seen, but certainly not one that I would ever want to watch again.
>>
>>13918934

You forgot the part where everyone's flight suites tentacle rape them when they put it on.

The whole show is someones creepy rape fetish.
>>
I thought it was pretty okay. Every time I see people talking about it here on /m/ I feel like they're letting their anti-CGI bias get the better of them. Plus the manga ended not that long ago and people are letting that color their judgment too. I went in not knowing anything, and I enjoyed it. Certainly not the best thing I've ever watched, but I didn't get a raging hate-boner for it like others seem to have.

But then again, you can't like anything on /m/ anymore, it's the rule to hate on every single show as if it's the next coming of SEED Destiny or Kiva.
>>
>>13918888
Seconding this. The show isn't bad per se, but it really exacerbates the flaws of the manga, namely the slice of life and romance bits.
>>
>>13918824
I enjoyed it. Its not the best, but I consider it worth watching as long as you get past the all CGI all the time. Just a warning though, if you read the manga prepare for a disappointing ending.
>>
It's not fantastic. The worst part is that it has this interesting setting and presents a lot of really cool concepts that quickly get shoved aside for paint-by-numbers harem bullshit. It even follows all the generic tropes. You get your ignored first girl (kinda), your kind of haughty superior, your generic moeblob, your fire-and-ice twins, your tsundere android, your penis monster...
>>
>>13918934
>Worst case of sameface that I've ever seen
Half the characters are literally cones of each other, so
>>
>>13918962
>Every time I see people talking about it here on /m/ I feel like they're letting their anti-CGI bias get the better of them
I actually like CG in some cases. Sidonia's 3dcg is really choppy and it just doesn't look good.

That said the overall quality of the show isn't awful, it's just not good either.
>>
>>13918824
Really fell in love with the concept and word building present in S1, so I tolerated the harem BS.

After watching S2 though I'll be passing on everything from this series in the future. S2 cranks the harem BS to 11 and adds nothing interesting whatsoever.
>>
>>13919080
>word building

That's blame!, anon.
>>13918824
As many said ,S1 is definitely great in action department. S2 came and went as no one got the wind of it,apart from last episode's battle.

While the manga concluded recently,possibility of a TheNextGen sequel is there.

Anyway,expect awkward Character CGI and smooth Mecha CGI (that's my opinion as the way the ! felt ).

Reading the Manga is recommended though.
>>
>>13918941
>The whole show is someones creepy rape fetish.

This is from the same mangaka who in his previous work tied up the plot thread by Lesbian Reproduction.
>>
File: I want to know more.gif (940KB, 627x502px) Image search: [Google]
I want to know more.gif
940KB, 627x502px
>>13921099

Wat
>>
>>13921095
Despite the blatant sequel hook, Nihei's explicitly stated he's practically quit drawing manga and he'll never work under deadlines again.
>>
>>13921325
Didn't you read Blame! anon?
>>
>>13921386
What is he going to do instead? How will I get my architectural manga background scenery fix?
>>
>>13921386

I think that's what happened with Sidonia. It's by far his longest and most plot/dialogue-heavy work and he probably got sick of working on it. That would explain why the beginning has so much classic Nihei going on, but then it devolves into generic harem shit and never quite recovers.
>>
>>13921472
It was still doing generic harem shit at the start

This was always his attempt at a more mainstream work, he just didn't enjoy doing that and it showed more as time went on
>>
>>13918824
Yuhata being the most sexy thing ever with wet hair.
>>
I really am a huge fan of Biomega and BLAME! but i found the manga and the show kinda meh. It had a lot of really cool concepts and art but ended up being mediocre. I wish it was traditionally animated and maybe I would have enjoyed it more. My biggest complaint was it felt like neihei was trying to hard to appeal to the more casual anime viewer.
>>
>>13921386
I guess that explains the ending and the last two years in general.
>>
>>13918824
The harem stuff killed what was an otherwise okay sci-fi/mecha manga. I could deal with some minor SoL but those stretches of generic harem shenanigans then SUDDENLY A GAUNA got old.

Teruru is worst girl and at the very least the anime saves you from having to deal with her.
>>
I tried to get into it but it wouldn't let me.

The CG didn't annoy me as much as I thought it would though, I stopped noticing I was watching CG after a while.

Following the show is what I had a problem with, every just looks the same. There's also that third gender thing which I just didn't buy.
>>
Why was there a bear with a robot hand? This was not explained in the anime.
>>
>>13924837
Holy spirit for good luck and technology
>>
>>13924837
Because nearly every other character was visually indistinguishable from one another
>>
>>13918824
>Streaming
>>
>>13924837
It's a thing Nihei likes to put in his works, the explanation in Biomega was that it was a life-support suit that just looked like a bear for some reason.
>>
Great music, but otherwise doesn't really bring much to the table that you can't get from the manga.
>>
>>13918934
>lazy CGI
You may not have liked it, I didn't, but it's obvious they tried really, really hard to be Pixar.
>>
>>13925053
>Pixar
It looks nothing at all akin to any pixar work.

Pixar is round and very fluid. KOS is choppy and blocky
>>
>>13925009
Apart from ending before the shit finale.
>>
>>13925002
No, that's the explanation in Sidonia.

In Biomega, they transplanted a scientist's brain into a bear because SCIENCE.
>>
>>13918824
Just read or watch it already.
>>
>>13925002
Cause the life-supporting suit is ugly and that bear suit is cute
>>
File: entsetzt.png (53KB, 223x383px) Image search: [Google]
entsetzt.png
53KB, 223x383px
>>13921386
>Nihei's explicitly stated he's practically quit drawing manga and he'll never work under deadlines again
>>
File: Benisuzume .webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Benisuzume .webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>13921095
>smooth Mecha CGI
>>
>>13935567
vs actually smooth

Don't get me wrong, I think the slo-mo looks really good, but there's so much chop in the majority of the scenes when it isn't slo-mo that it's very off putting.
>>
>>13935581
>>13935567
I don't see a difference. Even when I put the videos side-by-side. Am I just not autistic enough to notice whatever you're trying to prove here?
>>
>>13935601
>Am I just not autistic enough to notice whatever you're trying to prove here?
Either that or you just don't have good eyes.
>>
File: snk anime changes.jpg (2MB, 1798x5000px) Image search: [Google]
snk anime changes.jpg
2MB, 1798x5000px
Blame!, Noise, Abara, and Biomega are god-tier mangas.

Sidonia is an good manga with a dumb ending.

The anime adaptation is a trainwreck that fucks up everything the manga did right.
>>
>>13935648
I disagree with these arguments on Midorikawa.

Though that's mainly because those arguments are poor and biased towards an inferior visual design.
>>
At least the OPs and EDs are good?
>>
It does look into hard sci fi concepts that are unusual for anime sci-fi, but like said it's really hit or miss.

I do agree that the manga should be read though if one wants to give KoS in general a shot. It's just such a shame not even a fraction of the manga's amazing visuals and weird organic technology couldn't be translated to animation because of the 3D style (and budget, of course.) because love or hate aspects of the story the visuals and design of many of the places and technology is just really cool in the manga.
>>
>>13937190
The songs are good.

The OPs are lackluster, given that they're just a bunch of cuts from the show spliced together.

The EDs are beautiful.
The S1 ED is a dramatic series of pans across Sidonia from front to back while tacmonitor displays of the engagements against GA-487 play in the background.
The S2 ED is plan views of the Tsugumori Mk2.
>>
>>13935648
All of those arguments are fucking stupid and retarded.

>long hair and black dress
She was introduced a lot earlier in the anime and already had short hair. The black is already there and you deliberately left out the scene where she's crying and says thank you.

>meido dress for no fucking reason
That's supposed to be good, why? I thought people complained that the harem stuff was a bad thing.

>smile and no hugging
She already hugged him in their very first meeting in the anime, and the smiling is carried over from that.

>snowing in a generational ship for no real reason
Water falling from the sky uses up resources for no good reason.

Say what you will about the anime's faults, it ended up doing a more consistent job and being more thoughtful about the mechanics of an interstellar generational ship than the manga (where you have old Japanese banzai uniforms, giant mountain and beach, and people holding swords at ceremonies like it's the 20th century).

>>13937190
I personally didn't like them all that much. The OST is better IMO.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.