[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wow, Build Fighters was surprisingly great. I can't wait

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12

File: buildfighters.jpg (186KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
buildfighters.jpg
186KB, 1280x720px
Wow, Build Fighters was surprisingly great.
I can't wait to see how they improved on it in Try!
>>
Fuck off.
>>
>>13832189
Please stop
>>
I liked Try. It wasn't as bad as /m/ said.
>>
>>13832242
Why does /m/ hate it?
Build Fighters was fucking amazing.
Please tell me /m/ was just being retarded or something.
>>
>>13832245
Oh wait you haven't actually seen Try yet?

Oh jeez, I hope you didn't get too attached to every concept from the first season
>>
>>13832245
/m/ hates everything by default unless it's 20 years or older.
>>
>>13832245
There's about three scenes worth watching in the entire season of try
The first minute of the first episode
sekai's gaylord fight vs edgelord mcgee
and the build fighters try s2 preview (hey guys we totally didnt forget about zakus)
>>
>>13832245
It isn't that bad in general, but is worse than original build fighters in every way. Part of the reason for this is that many of the great staff from S1 were not present for S2. Don't remember what they went off to work on instead
>>
>>13832245
Try's characters don't get a lot of development or even legitimate challenges.
>>
>>13832265
You forgot the filler episode with Sekai's sister and the last episode. Those were fun, at least.
>>
>>13832267
G-Reco.
>>
>>13832267
Have we just collectively decided that g-reco is the tsukihime anime of gundam
>>
>>13832245
Did you like the many references to Gundam lore?

Did you like the multi-ethnic age diverse cast?

Did you like the development of the main characters being a small fish in a much larger pond?

Did you like how everybody had their own OTP?

Did you like the characters actually going through challenging opponents? And actually losing more than once?

Cause none of that is in Try
>>
>>13832267
>Part of the reason for this is that many of the great staff from S1 were not present for S2.

A bigger reason is that it had less than 6 months of production time. It hurt the animation, the story (less editing and rewriting), and some of the staff were already too busy working on other projects to come back for more BF.

And then on top of all that Ral's VA had old man problems and was hospitalized.
>>
>>13832319
Also the fact that they hired a B-list director to do Try because the director from S1 wasn't available.
>>
>>13832189
it was surprisingly mediocre as well
and predictable
great designs, but did every every fucking match have to be build knuckle, or blow-for-blow cliche trades followed by build knuckle?
Kampfer fight at least had some semblance of ingenuity and skill shown by both parties
>>
>>13832367
>but did every every fucking match have to be build knuckle, or blow-for-blow cliche trades followed by build knuckle?
Technically that only started really happening around episode like 16 I think
>>
>>13832265
Sekai fighting Jagi was only really good for having a dude using MMA to body Chicken What'sup.

The finisher might've been cool if it wasn't extracted straight from Sekai's rectum and wasn't the exact same thing he did every fight but with more colors. Build Knuckle was by itself more diverse than Sekai's entire moveset.
>>
>Build Fighters
>good cast with great character development, even if it normally meant they lose the same episode
>Reiji went from guy playing gunpla to pay back a roll he stole to truly appreciating it
>Built his own gunpla and understood Sei better and appreciated gunpla more because of it
>Several sub-plots such as what are the particles made out of, what is Arian, why does the chairman hate Reiji so much, ect.
>Flows nicely
>Fights feel organic and neat, RG System got a little repetitive near the end though

>Try
>Little to no good characters or development
>Best scene was when the previously established Meijin and new Meijin with boobs beat the shit out of the other two main characters
>No subplot, at all. Just goes from fight to fight
>Sekai gains no appreciation for gunpla, just uses it as an outlet for his martial arts
>Chicken How're You wins almost every fight in the same manner
>Takes the same amount of time to beat nationals as BF did to finish the world championship
>>
>>13832245
First season is amazing. Try is literal shit.
>>
>>13833264
>Sekai gains no appreciation for gunpla, just uses it as an outlet for his martial arts
Which is good.

Only turbonerds care about toys for children. Sekai's a real man practicing real martial arts.
>>
>>13833282
But it doesn't really work considering the show is essentially an advertisement for their own products.
>>
Isn't Try what Japanese love the
most?
>>
>>13833311
What?
>>
>>13833311
I know they love Fumina, but I don't know what they think about Try itself.
>>
>>13832287
>Did you like how everybody had their own OTP?
It was nice having a show where the MC was blatant with his feelings.
>>
File: 1403134201884.jpg (430KB, 740x1035px) Image search: [Google]
1403134201884.jpg
430KB, 740x1035px
>>13832189
>dat Rinko
Jesus.
>>
File: Ggun.jpg (955KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ggun.jpg
955KB, 1920x1080px
>>13833264
if hes going to spam a move it may aswell have been Erupting Burning Finger since hes literally somehow Domons pupil

atleast then the music was hype as hell.

>>13832265
only other thing i liked was Crossbone FC animated finally but couldnt even take out one of the main villian team.

maybe Rals Dom 35 but thats just a small bit
>>
>>13832287
>>13833379
Why do that when we can have hilarious harem antics!
>>
>>13833311
Try bombed both ratings-wise (though that doesn't say much, BF did too) and model-kit wise (only Build Burnings really sold because guess what, only Build Burning did anything).
>>
>>13832245

Remember all that stuff you liked about BF?

Well the writers didn't.
>>
I'm probably one of the few people who enjoyed Try.
>>
>>13833581
Try killed Ral. Fuck Try.
>>
>>13832385
>>13832367

I forgive build knuckle because at least there was a lot more going on with the characters than just LOL HERO WIN KNOW.

Ive said it so many times I really should just save it for a copy paste but it's most obvious in Aila's fight.

It's not about the actual battle, it's about her and Reiji's relationship. It's about her breaking free from the people who are using her. It's about her overcoming all of her problems and not only moving past them but finding something she can be happy about and people who can make her happy.

Yeah it was silly she couldn't dodge a punch at the last minute but character and story where strong enough to make up for that and losing the fight was far better for her growth as a person because she realized she doesn't have to be a pawn.

That's why Build Knuckle is okay if cliche and Chiken How Are you is just lame.
>>
>>13833589
It's not like Ral had anything to do, anyways.

He was a non character.
>>
>>13833311
Try on a models and disc sales level is all lower than GBF
>>
>>13833559
Celestial Sphere won by Asspull, I'd Imagine Aila-Fanboy had a suit for the world championships and the X1 FC was just built for that tournament
>>
>>13832245
It just failed to capture the magic again, and the forced three v three didn't do any favors for fights.

It starts off promising, not as great as BF, but once it hits the gunpla academy it turns to shit aside from Meijin stuff. Then out of no where it had a good Finale episode after a ton of crap, sans Tryon 3 that was good.

That and I feel as if it took it's self too damn seriously especially the second half, I mean BF could do that as well, but they seemed to make a joke of it more, and most people seemed to be having more fun, while it was important to them to win yes, it didn't as...I don't know I can't really quantify it, the atmosphere of the tournament and interactions between competitories just isn't as upbeat. Hell at times it feels like everyone has a stick up their ass and is liable to pull it out and beat the fuck out of you with it. I mean some try hards here and there are fine, but shit when everyone sans a handful of character is one, it sucks the damn fun out of it.
>>
>>13833528
I recognize that doujin cover
>>
>>13832245
>he was being serious
Oh man, I feel so sorry for you.
Just stop, don't watch it. Cherish those good GBF memories and walk away.
>>
>>13833668
Because Try played out like sports anime where every match is serious bussiness. But I dunno man, sports anime usually have good chemistry between rivals.
>>
File: Transient_Gundam.jpg (238KB, 1398x1570px) Image search: [Google]
Transient_Gundam.jpg
238KB, 1398x1570px
At least Try gave us this guy.
>>
>>13834975
>TEKKAMAN, GN
>>
>>13834526
Even as a shonen tournament show, Try is absolutely dire. It pulls every cliche straight, has an overly large cast of characters that are both boring to watch and flatter than cardboard, abuses the fuck out of stock animation, doesn't make proper use of the few strengths it had, and above all fails to really sell you on the merchandise because you're too busy crying bullshit to think the robots look cool.

Basically it was ZEXAL.
>>
>>13834975
The transient is awful though and so is whoever was that used it.
>>
>>13837534
What, didn't you like Generic McCoolGuy?

Oh sorry, I meant Other Generic McCoolGuy.

No wait shit, I meant Other Other Generic McCoolGuy.
>>
File: tblade.jpg (239KB, 1000x1085px) Image search: [Google]
tblade.jpg
239KB, 1000x1085px
>>13835042
>TEKKAMAN
Fuck, that's what it is. I'm building the HG Transient right now and the design kept reminding me of something
>>
>>13832287
A solid 1/3 of this list is completely irrelevant.
>>
Remember, /m/.

Hitori ja nai.
>>
>>13833379

it miss Allan, holding a tiny meijin
>>
One thing people forget is how meaningful fights were in BF

It wasn't just all and now fight team X who has one member with trite backstory, it would all play into a theme, character development or add to the overarching plot. Early on there were times we didn't even see the opponent as the episode wasn't about them it was about Sei and Reiji working together and becoming close. It even bent the competition to fit this even when it was silly. Reiji has hurt his hand? Make the fight about him pitching a ball, it draws focus to his problem in the episode and means they can base everything around it. We don't need some drawn out backstroy about the other guy, he doesn't need to be evil. All they do is show him earlier and then add oh he is a pitcher, it's goofy but that is fine and all they need cause they didn't need an intense rivalry there.

It is the type of thing you may not notice as it is so simple but it is very important to what makes BF work. It is an incredibly solid show that feels well thought out.
>>
>>13837831
POTETO CHIPPUSU tabete tara futo omotta
>>
>>13837821
I'm assuming it's the references to Gundam lore and how everybody had an OTP

I'll admit, the OTP part is something I personally liked and something other people in /gbfg/ liked because of how rare it is, however I saw fit to mention it because Try had a bunch of romcom/harem shenanigans nobody was a fan of, that said, it is technically irrelevant

However, if you're saying the Gundam lore references are irrelevant too, absolutely not. Those things made the show. Like it or not, when GBF was airing, it was always a game to see what series would cameo next or what suit never seen animated could appear or what have you. Don't you remember the reaction to Ral-san not just showing up and not just being voiced by his old actor, but actually showing up frequently and being a mentor? Everybody loved Ral-san

It was a very unique and fun part of the viewing experience and Try had none of it
>>
I find MS designs rather lacking in Try.
>>
>>13837852
I remember how everyone lost their shit at G-Saviour cameo, Jegan defeating Devil Gundam, and Sailor Jupiter Allenby
>>
>>13837907
Remember the Gaw full of random mooks?
>>
>>13837907
G-Saviour cameo was like the absolute craziest.

"My death only proves one thing. No matter what....I exist"
>>
Remember when we though Burning Gundam was a reference to G's dub, and then they seem to have no idea?
>>
>>13837959
You mean the NTR brigade?
>>
>>13837973
Man, no character in try can hold a candle to Fellini

Remember when he drunkenly chatted up Kirara wby talking about the 08th team short? And then tries to chat up her again not recognising her without the wig?
>>
>>13837904
I liked the GM Cardigan, R-GyaGya and that´s it.
>>
>>13833590
Not only that but the BK was their fina card since everyone they fough destroyed the absorb shield to try and rob them of most of their weapons
>>
File: CaMZJHsUMAAleK5.jpg (281KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
CaMZJHsUMAAleK5.jpg
281KB, 1024x1365px
She was one of the few good things about Try.
>>
>>13833613
He was the awesome infodumper and exposition giver.
>>
>>13833613
>>13838156
He was something of a plot device but he also added to the world as he showed how far some too gundam.

In Try is just felt like oh, we are doing this again? Even with the VA in hospital? He felt like an unneeded carry over and as literally everyone pointed out if they did feel like they needed that character make it Master Asia
>>
>>13838078
Those are some of the better designs, they're in line with GBF where existing gunpla are modified and upgraded. They put in too many scratchbuilds.
>>
>>13838154
Really wanted her to win the Sekaibowl
>>
>>13838184
Why do you hate her so much?
>>
>>13838184
She got with Shimon who is better in every way.
>>
File: Bottoms up.gif (1009KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
Bottoms up.gif
1009KB, 500x280px
>Poyopachi did a Kirara doujin
>Can't find it anywhere online
>>
>>13837852
No, it was the second one and the 4th one.
>>
>>13837534
I like Transient. The lances that can open up to fire beams probably carry the opinion of that though.
>>
>>13838171

Did he go into the hospital before or after they started production? Because even in those early episodes his inclusions was weird at best and unsettling at worst.

In BF it's pretty innocent as he's a friend of the family and all that jazz but there's just something "Not right" about a old ass man hanging around children's hobby shops, playing games against children and going to the school where he's neither or a teacher or has no children attending come Try.
>>
>>13841279
I believe he was replaced at the end of BF cause he was in and out so much, I may be wrong

It's the school one that really seems weird. Hobby shop is where you buy stuff and in that world everyone buys gunpla so understandable. Same with battle, it's like with competitive video games you get a mix of the old and new. But he literally turned up out of no where in Try, Fumina sort of new him I think but it never really gets expanded on. And it's silly cause all they needed to do was say he was the clubs coach employeed by the school cause he is a veteran of the sport, outside voluntary help for clubs isn't so unusual
>>
>>13837839
>All they do is show him earlier and then add oh he is a pitcher, it's goofy but that is fine and all they need cause they didn't need an intense rivalry there.
The best part is even tertiary characters like Dalara where treated with respect; they lost, but still stayed there in the background, along with all the other world players. Meanwhile, in Try you have the swimming team in the opening for no reason.
>>
>>13841314
The swimming team was such an odd bait and switch. As a joke it works fine but the show seriously suffered from lacking time to develop characters yet they did this anyway.

Though really Try should have had enough time to do it. BF managed to do so much side stuff and it helped the show a great deal. Really early on Sei and Reiji in the tournament wasn't the focus at all, they spend a great deal of time setting everything else up so when the second half is more focused it still feels nicely fleshed out and set up
>>
>>13841166
The age-diverse cast was important though. Kids tournament shows pretty much never have anyone over the teenage age playing in them. There are some like Yu-Gi-Oh but it's not particularly wide-spread and they certainly aren't main or major secondary characters

GBF had a bunch of adults, not just for older appeal but to show the people who were in this for a long time, just like the real life long-time fans of Gunpla. The adult characters were among the more well liked characters. We wouldn't have gotten the Fellini episode wouldn't hit as hard, we wouldn't get the NTR squad full of old ronery men and more importantly, the older masters probably wouldn't have been a thing

Try, with its "Under-19 only bullshit" completely gets rid of this unique aspect
>>
>>13832189
>Wow, Build Fighters was surprisingly great.
The delusion of gundambabbies is real.

Now they think blatantly obvious children commercials are "great".

Seriously, grow up. You're looking more like power rangers fags by the minute.
>>
File: no fun.jpg (71KB, 448x473px) Image search: [Google]
no fun.jpg
71KB, 448x473px
>>13841424
>>
>>13841424
Thunderbolt is far more blatent toy commercial. "Maturity" has nothing to do with writing quality. Only a teenager would believe otherwise.
>>
>>13841424
As opposed to the usual grown up toy commercials the Gundam shows are?
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.