[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some "acquired tastes" you got in mecha, /m/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

File: big-o_00313299.jpg (283KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
big-o_00313299.jpg
283KB, 1440x900px
What are some "acquired tastes" you got in mecha, /m/?

For me it was faces on giant robots. At first I thought it looked strange and silly, it should have a faceplate or something, but eventually I got around liking it. Lovin' the Obari.
>>
File: Lightning fingertips.png (3MB, 1476x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Lightning fingertips.png
3MB, 1476x1080px
>>13676267
Fabulous super powers in general.
>>
>>13676267
I haven't acquired this taste, but Super Robots. You have to get used to eating pure shit, especially the older ones.
>>
Weird spoopy alien bullshit juxtaposed with otherwise realistic mecha.

"That's bullshit but I believe it" more or less.

For the most part, Gasaraki is my benchmark for enjoyable mecha.
>>
>>13676352
yawn
>>
>>13676446
>justifying shitposting and see-thru bait with a reply
C'mon anon.
>>
Some tube robots kinda grew on me, like Getter 1. Sometimes things just look cooler in motion.
>>
>>13676267
>For me it was faces on giant robots. At first I thought it looked strange and silly, it should have a faceplate or something, but eventually I got around liking it. Lovin' the Obari.

Didn't you grow up with Transformers or Power Rangers though? I thought almost everyone did. All the mechas there had those faces too.
>>
>>13676834
>Didn't you grow up with Transformers or Power Rangers though? I thought almost everyone did.
What a bizarre assumption. With all the different age brackets and countries people post from you assume that most of them had the same TV programming as you did as a kid?
>>
>>13676834
I did grow up with them, but as a kid I was so put off with the faces. I only really started liking them when /m/ influenced me.
>>
>>13676997
>What a bizarre assumption.

It was a question. That's why there was a question mark. I'm assuming your age bracket is 2 because you don't know what question marks are.
>>
>>13677162
>I thought almost everyone did.
Looks like a statement to me, m8.
>>
File: black ox turnaround.gif (767KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
black ox turnaround.gif
767KB, 500x333px
>>13676612
to be frank, i thought early robot designs like tetsujin looked stupid but i find them to be very endearing and i like their simplicity. i agree anon.
>>
>>13677250
I used to think Tetsujin was stupid until I saw his other designs. The more heroic look is awful-- power to the big silly egg shape.
>>
File: GETTER ROBO ANIME MECHA.webm (3MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
GETTER ROBO ANIME MECHA.webm
3MB, 800x600px
>>13678784
agreed, super simple designs show that sometimes, less is more.
>>
File: 423289868.jpg (88KB, 634x447px) Image search: [Google]
423289868.jpg
88KB, 634x447px
>>13676267
I think that once you get over the hurdle of giant humanoid robots, it's pretty easy to accept everything else.

I guess my main gripe would be that a majority of the MCs for these shows are teenagers.
>>
>>13680492
Oh fuck I forgot how great Armageddon looked.
>>
>>13678784
>I used to think Tetsujin was stupid until I saw his other designs.

To be fair, his other designs are:

>80s, which is still a tube robot, if a less simplistic one.
>FX, which isn't the original Tetsujin and in fact fights alongside the original Tetsujin.

Speaking of which, FX's design is one for me. Wasn't so much a fan of it until I saw a few videos of it actually in action, and it won me over with those. It's definitely not the original Tetsujin though.
>>
>>13676267
The big stache on Turn A. It's movements, abilities, and stoic guardian look really tie it all together, and the mustache becomes something you can't really hate.

Also I thought the huge calves on MS's like the Dom were goofy looking until I saw they're super-speed ground effect. Very quickly became a favorite look.
>>
File: TOY-RBT-0873_04_1254292377.jpg (29KB, 600x335px) Image search: [Google]
TOY-RBT-0873_04_1254292377.jpg
29KB, 600x335px
I always thought Getter Dragon had a really stupid head design, especially its "mouth," but it looked good enough in the OVAs and Ishikawa's art over that I don't mind too much.

Still my least favorite Getter.
>>
the way robots treated as gods incarnate

but then i played Xenosaga and Xenogears, watching super robots shows and play a bit of Demonbane, now it's a must for my watchlist shows.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.