[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kawamori's stance on Robotech and Battletech. http://ww

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 25

File: 1400088039772.jpg (1MB, 3368x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1400088039772.jpg
1MB, 3368x2400px
Kawamori's stance on Robotech and Battletech.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/12/10/shoji-kawamori-the-creator-hollywood-copies-but-never-credits/
>It’s here we come to Robotech and it was clear throughout this part of the interview that Kawamori wanted to talk more openly but due to the legal situation between Tatsunoko Production, Big West and Harmony Gold he was unable to divulge too much.

>“When it comes to Robotech, it’s difficult to comment. It’s not as though I have sat through the whole series. Not to mention that it combines three separate series Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada. So it feels a bit forced as a result.”
>>
File: 1442164259797.jpg (2MB, 1920x1015px) Image search: [Google]
1442164259797.jpg
2MB, 1920x1015px
>>13608114
>“At the same time, this was an opportunity for our work to be shown to the world and for that I am thankful. However, because the partial change in the story was made without approval from us, the original authors, it still produces an uncomfortable feeling after all these years.”

>“Around this time I also heard about how some of my Macross designs were used in BattleTech. It seems that the company that held the rights to use only the packaging design of the plastic model broadly misinterpreted that. As they thought that anything on the packaging could be used elsewhere. So a lot of different designs appeared to have been replicated. Naturally, I didn’t approve of any of it and only found out about it third hand. It’s not something I can talk about openly, as this possibly became a court case.”
>>
File: 1411320115125.jpg (1MB, 2150x3055px) Image search: [Google]
1411320115125.jpg
1MB, 2150x3055px
>>13608119
>“As for the recently announced live action Robotech movie, I welcome the opportunity to work on it but that request has yet to come.”

>“As the original creator of Macross I do find that quite disappointing. I should be at least contacted really. However, it might be that they are still too early on in production to contact the original designer and one of its authors.”

>“I really wish I could have Macross released in its entirety across the world though. If I had the chance to officially stream Macross Delta and make it available to fans everywhere, like Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, I’d be very happy to see that happen.”
>>
Kawamori saving anime one dank story at a time
>>
>If I had the chance to officially stream Macross Delta and make it available to fans everywhere, like Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, I’d be very happy to see that happen.

Kawamori is a real bro sometimes
>>
>>13608119
>As they thought that anything on the packaging could be used elsewhere. So a lot of different designs appeared to have been replicated. Naturally, I didn’t approve of any of it

fucking murikans i swear
>>
>“Talking of Macross Plus, I remember seeing the trailer for the film Stealth, where they had these futuristic planes with one of them controlled by an AI. Again this is something I only heard but Ichiro Itano told me that people in the American film industry explained to him at the time of Stealth’s launch no-one was to say that the main story had come from Macross Plus.”
Oh wow.

>“When it comes to my involvement with videogames in general though, I tend to do a lot of the shoot-em-up variety. Generally speaking, the front view tends to be the main view for most mecha design in things like anime, while in games a rear view is more important. This is because the camera is often placed behind the mecha. So it means that these mecha need to be identifiable from behind”
That's a pretty good point.
>>
>>13608240
>no-one was to say that the main story had come from Macross Plus
Hue.
And of course the Amerikaner had to botch it. Sasuga Murica.
>>
>>13608177
Don't pin this shit on us my man.
>>
>>13608346
And we @ Robotechx.com are all laughing!
>>
>>13608114
>all those stories about how he came up with his robots
He's a cool dude
>>
>>13608124
>As the original creator of Macross I do find that quite disappointing. I should be at least contacted really. However, it might be that they are still too early on in production to contact the original designer and one of its authors.

Would they even contact him?

Before that, do Robotech fans even want him to work on a Robotech work or would it become a case of "you keep your Macross out of my Robotech"?

>>13608177
Battletech would have been able to use the Japanese release designs with little issue, but the whole incident probably spooked those in charge at that time hard.
>>
Ya know, Kawamori is a good looking man.
>>
>>13608136
>tfw if it isn't for the legal mess we got, Macross would be widely available or even on fucking youtube like Gundam
>>
>>13608452
he looks like that cool uncle that draws you robots everytime you visits him
>>
Kawamori is an overrated hack. Macross is the only thing worth talking about on his resume. I'm looking at YOU Arjuna!

He should STFU and be glad his work got popularized in the West instead of sitting on the shelf in Japan.
>>
File: 10d.png (205KB, 482x355px) Image search: [Google]
10d.png
205KB, 482x355px
>>13608602
Nice try, Harmony Gold shill.
>>
>>13608124
>“I really wish I could have Macross released in its entirety across the world though. If I had the chance to officially stream Macross Delta and make it available to fans everywhere, like Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, I’d be very happy to see that happen.”
So then all those faggots claiming HG wasn't blocking Macross in the west are blown the fuck out right?
Right?
>>
>>13608602
>makes one bad show
>a hack
>Tomino makes only mediocre to bad shows
>best director ever
>>
>>13609737
>Kawamori
>one bad show

Is it a coincidence that the only Macross he directed and wrote by himself is the worst entry in the franchise?
>>
>>13608602
>escaflowne
>armored core
>omega boost
>E7
>thunderbirds
>transformers
>lego
>even designed a robot dog for sony
And so on. The man has done a lot, not just robot anime.
>>
Macross Delta info.

>“Macross Delta’s story is set 8 years after Macross Frontier. While Frontier was based closer to the galactic core of the Milky Way, Delta is set in the planets at the outer rim.”

>“At the time of the show, there is something known as Var Syndrome which makes people very aggressive and is spreading across the galaxy like a kind of epidemic. In among this are the tactic musical unit Walkure, a group of girls who can sing. The effect of their singing is used to calm the effects of the syndrome.”

>“The girls from this tactical musical unit are also be supported by Delta platoon, which are transformable combat troops deployed in these operations. Then there are the Aerial Knights, which are separate and somewhat of a mystery group. So all these elements interact and the story will progress from that.”

>“In Frontier, the story was based around a colony fleet visiting various planets but this is more about specific planets and the different people who live on them.”

>“In terms of Aerial Knights, their insignia indicates a degree of nobility and while they have elements similar to the Anti-United Nations in Macross Zero they are not directly connected, but do have a similar standpoint.”
>>
>>13608602
>>Kawamori is an overrated hack. Macross is the only thing worth talking about on his resume.

The hack here is you.
Try Gundam 0083 mobile suits, yeah, those are his work. And some of the best damn looking mobile suit versions there ever was.

Now sit down and shut up troll.
>>
>>13609971
>there is something known as Var Syndrome which makes people very aggressive
>in before characters suddenly and violently punch each other
Almost seems like a Tomino show, when you think about it.
>>
>>13610012
No? Doesn't sound like anything Tomino would do.
>>
I feel it's weird that Kawamori has such an iron-fisted control over Macross these days. He's the "creator" sure, but it was because of people other than him that the first show was great.

Later entries in the franchise have been somewhat marred by his polyamorous fantasies and thickheaded pacifism.
>>
>>13609934
>designs
>>
>>13610006
>Try Gundam 0083 mobile suits, yeah, those are his work.
No wonder they look so fucking shit
>>
>>13610023
>thickheaded pacifism
anybody else ever get the idea that Kaifun was meant to be a dig at Kawamori but Kawamori was too stoned to notice?
>>
>>13608124
>If I had the chance to officially stream Macross Delta and make it available to fans everywhere, like Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, I’d be very happy to see that happen.

Poor Kawamori
>>
>>13609766

For a second I thought you were shitting on 7, but apparently he didn't write OR direct that
>>
>>13609934
>even designed a robot dog for sony
The Aibo?
>>
>>13610023
>by his polyamorous fantasies
You literally have no clue what you're talking about. Shut. Up.
>>
>>13610023
It seems as if everyone but him left the project, but since Macross is very popular why not recruit more?
>>
File: ERS-220.jpg (42KB, 656x660px) Image search: [Google]
ERS-220.jpg
42KB, 656x660px
>>13610072
Yeah.
>>
File: 63.jpg (100KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
63.jpg
100KB, 1024x768px
>>13610099
Can't help but notice how the head resembles the VF-25.
>>
>>13610077
>since Macross is very popular why not recruit more?
You mean like all those people who have actually written, directed, and animated every recent Macross series?

Miyatake worked on every Macross so far besides Zero, by the way.
>>
File: odyssey.jpg (382KB, 1280x881px) Image search: [Google]
odyssey.jpg
382KB, 1280x881px
>Around this time I was working on a series called Ulysses 31 that was a French and Japanese collaboration. I designed the main spaceship called the Odyssey in case you are wondering.

Cool. I vaguely remember liking that ship when I was a child.
>>
Kawamori maybe it's a hack but having your best work totally re-wrote by a bunch of Americana jews who also won't allow to publish the original work or they sequels must be horrible.
>>
I wish Noboru Ishiguro were still alive so that we'd have his thoughts on what HG did with SDF Macross. Mikimoto, Itano, and Miyatake as well.

>Again this is something I only heard but Ichiro Itano told me that people in the American film industry explained to him at the time of Stealth’s launch no-one was to say that the main story had come from Macross Plus.
I wonder why the people behind Stealth weren't sued?

And am I the only one who remembers Exosquad? That's a US sci-fi series involving war with robotic vehicles. Shouldn't an Exosquad live-action be more feasible than Robotech? It even has SJW themes of bigotry and oppression with the Neo-Sapiens. The creators of this series even stated that they were influenced by Mobile Suit Gundam and that Exosquad was their take on the European theater of WW2 while MSG was the Pacific theater. Why bother with a shitty compilation when there's an actual American show to utilize?
>>
>>13610185
I wonder why he can't openly talk about the legal situation?
>>
>>13610185
>>13610221
I think the reason why nothing has been done is because people by in large don't care about Macross outside Japan and the Internet being what it is meanspeople have access to anything they want so this does nothing. It will be interesting to see if Crunchyroll will pick up Delta come next year cause from what I can tell they have yet to pick up the Macross catalog as of late.
>>
>>13610012
>>13610022
It's basically the fucking Hate Plague from Transformers or any other rage disease.
>>
>>13610219
>I wonder why the people behind Stealth weren't sued?
because Stealth has nothing to do with Plus
>the main story had come from Macross Plus
did they watch a Chinese version of Plus?
>>
>>13610219
Because Harmony Gold doesn't own or make money off of Exosquad.

Harmony Gold is not much of a creative company, they have always primarily been a two bit licensing and distribution business and after Bayformers they figured they could get someone to give them a pile of money for the Robotech movie rights.
>>
>>13610245
No what I mean is, why the fuck is Robotech getting all this hype for a live-action adaptation when Exosquad deserves it more. I know HG doesn't own Exosquad.
>>
>>13610250
>hype
What hype? It's been in production hell for 8 years because nobody actually wants to make the fucking thing.
>>
Anyone have the picture of the newly released character from Delta? I keep hearing a new one was introduced but I can't find anything anywhere.
>>
>>13610278
Not exactly. Everyday until the preview episode on the 31st they'll be releasing images and characters names of the cast. So far they've released an image of that purple haired singer.
>>
All we've got to do is call it Hollywood whitewashing or cultural appropriation and have angry sjws kick up a storm on twitter
>>
>>13610293
Does anyone have that picture though?
>>
File: 2.jpg (66KB, 577x567px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
66KB, 577x567px
>>13610460
>>
>>13610489
Many thanks, anon. I've been on my phone so I haven't been able to check it out on Macrossworld.
>>
Forbes has been publishing pretty interesting articles lately. They interviewed a Chogokin toy making company recently.

And people keep bringing SJW to every fucking discussion on this site.
>>
>>13608441
>Would they even contact him?

I mea, it would be an interesting work-around to the "no Macross designs can be used in new video media" rule. Just get new designs straight from the source. However, unless it's a particularly unique director, they'll probably use the same uninspired digital artists that do every fucking design in hollywood, like Feng Zhu.
>>
>>13610219
>It even has SJW themes of bigotry and oppression with the Neo-Sapiens

Are you a fucking idiot or something? Sci-fi has always been used as a vehicle for social commentary. Are you going to accuse HG Wells of being an SJW next?
>>
>>13610563
The point I was making is that in today's landscape, the fact that Neo-Sapiens are former slaves rising against their masters is exactly the sort of hot button that would attract the SJW demographic.
>>
Thanks for the link bro, amazing article.
>>
>>13608602
I fucking love Arjuna.
>>
>>13610900
Gotta say it's innovative in a weird way. Also, it predicted Fukushima...

Since Kamida Takeyuki is also dead, I wonder if Fukuda is the one to comment on Battletech's Dougram elements.
>>
>>13610023
>pacifism
Nigga, what?
Only 7 can be claimed to have that. The rest was victory through superior firepower.
>>
>I really wish I could have Macross released in its entirety across the world though. If I had the chance to officially stream Macross Delta and make it available to fans everywhere, like Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, I’d be very happy to see that happen.
I hope this means they're at least gonna try putting subs on the JP BDs like with the Frontier movies.
>>
>>13610993
Man, that would be the best.
>>
>>13609934
>transformers

Which Transformers did he design?

>>13610006
>Try Gundam 0083 mobile suits, yeah, those are his work. And some of the best damn looking mobile suit versions there ever was.

Even the GP-03? The rest I'll give you, but that ridiculous spaceship and its parody weapons is too dumb even by the standards of mecha anime.
>>
>>13611086
GP03 wasn't him.

GP01 and GP02 was Kawamori
>>
File: 2HanHb5.jpg (24KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
2HanHb5.jpg
24KB, 720x400px
>>13611100

That makes me feel much better, thanks.
>>
File: 1240983405631.jpg (41KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1240983405631.jpg
41KB, 720x480px
>>13611100
I'm pretty sure he designed the Albion as well. I never bothered to look it up, but it's reminiscent of the Macross. Maybe the big ass engines and thin hangar arms are throwing me off. Though the Salamis Kai and Magellan Kai look like his work, too.
>>
>>13609634
Anyone claiming that obviously wasn't around when the original Plus toyline was going to be imported. HG reps showed up to a con and started harassing Toycom for showing off the toys. Or later when HG copyrighted the word "Macross" in America and Europe behind everyone's back, while Big West was already tied up in court getting the other trademarks straightened out.
>>
>>13611086
>Which Transformers did he design?
The original Convoy.
>>
>>13611438
>>13609634
He can't stream Macross because he doesn't ahve the chance thanks to HG.
>>
>>13611460
All I can ask is more English subtitles of future bluray releases.
>>
So is their any chance Harmony Gold goes bankrupt so someone can buy them off and put their license to good use? They're really fucking wasting it and making every Macross fan miserable.
>>
File: 1265199882585.jpg (198KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1265199882585.jpg
198KB, 1024x768px
>>13611086
>but that ridiculous spaceship and its parody weapons is too dumb even by the standards of mecha anime.

the fuck did you just say about GP-03D?
>>
>>13611533
real estate company, no dice.
>>
>>13608257
But it wasn't us just one shitty company that pretty much everyone now a days acknowledges as shit.
>>
>>13611543
A lot of real estate companies went bankrupt during the recession though.
>>
>>13608114
>Not to mention that it combines three separate series Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada. So it feels a bit forced as a result

I wonder if he knows it's only like that because they had to make it 65 episodes for any network to take it in the 80s.
>>
>>13611537
I always wondered why they didn't just make more GP03s
>>
>>13611554
A shame Harmony Gold wasn't one of them.
>>
>>13611533
They're a Mafia money-laundering operation that puts cash into high-yield real estate investments like college housing, recording studios, and film studios.
>>
>“Previously, I touched on Minmay’s singing. However, as the TV series’ production moved along I had to figure out how to end the story. Normally, in battle orientated stories the strength of the respective forces and weapons resolves in a final conflict. That’s pretty standard really, so I thought that I could use the setting of the Zentradi having no culture of their own. Whereas Minmay’s role was a singer and that could act as a form of culture shock to a cultureless enemy.”

>“Therefore, I eventually had the idea to end the great space war by the power of the song and its resultant culture shock. This solution was original I thought, maybe even a world first. Never seen before in animation, movies or even novels.”

>“In the TV series the resolution was brought about by Minmay’s song but in the movie, due to the 2 hour restriction, I had to simplify it down. Although the song did bring about an alliance, the last boss had to be beaten by weapons in the end. That ending I regret.”

“That regret resulted in a new Macross series ten years later known as Macross 7, where the protagonist was Nekki Basara, who is constantly singing and never uses weapons. So in terms of the positive side of a song can bring, this is something that Nekki Basara did. As for the negative side, I thought about things like mind control and that’s how the AI Sharon Apple for Macross Plus came about.”

>“During the time of Macross Plus, I presented the AI idea to the team. That Sharon Apple being this black box would be something that people would applaud. That the visuals an AI would produce would be something to be admired. Many of the staff at the time said that this was really unlikely but then Hatsune Miku came around, so reality caught up in the end.”
>>
Anybody else surprised that Aquarion was originally conceived as Rescue Mecha like the Thunderbirds?

Maybe in the next installment like SK is applying his Air Cavalry idea he had that turned Escaflowne is being applied in Macross Delta.
>>
>>13610250
>muh Exosquad
Nobody gives a fuck about some early 90s, low rent Gundam ripoff. The show hit with a dull wet thud, flopped like a fish out of water and disappeared.
Robotech atleast introduced an entire generation to anime. Exosquad wasn't even a blip.
>>
>>13611086
>ripping on the GP03 Stamen

The fuck outta here, mutt.
>>
>>13611644
The GP series are the most boring Gundams possible. They're so bland.
>>
>>13611646
>here's your (You)
>>
>>13611646
These are suits that had to fit in between the tight time period between msg and zeta, they couldn't really go too crazy with the designs as they're just incremental upgrades.
>>
>>13611448

I was going to say "wasn't that Obari", but then I remembered that what Obari did for Optimus was come up with the transformation animation.
>>
>>13611560
They didn't have to combine the plots to do that, just sell 65 episodes under the same title. They combined the plots because Macek thought he was genius writer.
>>
>>13611533
there needs to be a real change in IP/license laws, and I'm not saying this because of the whole macross debacle HG now is really no better than any other patent trolls that just sits on it without producing anything new from it.
>>
>>13611438
TRADEMARKED the word "Macross", not copyrighted. There's a huge difference.
>>
>>13611781
Whatever. Those cunts even attempted to trademark the name TWICE in japan and asia.
>>
>>13611781
Trademark is WORSE. A trademark is immortal unless and until the owner decides to abandon it. Copyrights run out after a certain time, creative patents run out after twenty years.
>>
>>13611786
There was one time when those fuckers claimed they own the entire Macross franchise.
>>
>>13611887
Harmony Gold confirmed for delusional
>>
>>13611609
>but in the movie, due to the 2 hour restriction, I had to simplify it down. Although the song did bring about an alliance, the last boss had to be beaten by weapons in the end. That ending I regret.”
I told you all DYRL is a shit movie.
>>
File: barder.jpg (41KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
barder.jpg
41KB, 400x400px
Is he our boy?
>>
Harmony Gold's boss Frank Agrama just retired. Their new boss is his daughter, and she just sold Robotech to Sony earlier in March.

They'll never go bankrupt since The Agramas have a bunch of Swiss Bank accounts from money laundering for decades.
>>
Their new boss Jehan, cares even less about Macross or Robotech, so expect that shitshow to stagnate.

Poor Kawamori. He didn't deserve this.
>>
>>13612302

I haven't heard anything about a Sony sale.
>>
>>13612320
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-plotting-new-robotech-franchise-784543
https://archive.is/qoAxR
>Sony Pictures has acquired the rights to the science-fiction anime Robotech in hopes of creating a new franchise to be produced by Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton, who together have overseen the 300 movies.
>Frank Agrama of Harmony Gold, which is the original intellectual property rights holder, will executive produce with Gordon and Jehan Agrama.
I'm a little fuzzy on if Sony's got the rights to making a movie out of the IP or if they flat-out own whatever is there of Robotech, but they made a deal back in March
>>
>>13612353

Probably only the Robotech film rights.

Thanks.
>>
>>13612353
>a new franchise to be produced by Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton, who together have overseen the 300 movies
>tfw 'Robotech' is now about oiled up abs piloting transforming mechs, and there is shouting every fifteen minutes
>>
Warner Brothers first bought Robotech in 2007, and didn't do a damn thing for 8 years.

Sony will do the same. If a Robotech movie WERE made, it would be Robotech in name only, since they can't use a single element from Macross - names, characters, etc.

The real tragedy of it all is Kawamori is working so hard to design and promote Macross, but can't show it the world.
>>
We all agree False Songtress > Frontier TV right?
>>
>>13612383
>getting robotech thinking it's a gold mine
>suddenly realise they don't know what to do with it
shit, at this point it'd be easier to just give it back to kawamori and friends
>>
>>13612383
They can use transforming jets and singing you faggot, which is what Memecross is about.
>>
>>13612394
Except HG still has IP rights to Robotech. And since those brassholes don't seem to be willing to give up their IP rights to it anytime soon, the deadlock will never be broken.
At this point I'm waiting for the Zentradi to dropkick us just so they can get this idiocy fixed.
>>
>>13612394
Yeah I don't really get what anybody sees in it compared to any other 80s cartoon toy franchise on the movie market. It's like Voltron, there's so much bullshit surrounding what you may or may not be able to use from the IP that for all the hassle you might as well just say fuck it and get the rights to M.A.S.K. instead.
>>
>>13612353
Maybe Kawamori was doing some sort of back room deal with Sony for his Macross agenda. Especially when he got a close history with them >>13610099
>>
>>13612413
that would be neat, but I'm not gonna hold my breath

but yeah, when they say
>Harmony Gold, which is the original intellectual property rights holder
it sounds to me like they're
>implying
that HG is no longer the IP rights holder by clarifying them as the "original"

I suppose if youtube eps of Robotech start getting pulled by Sony instead of HG I guess that'll be a clue what's up.
>>
>>13611586
probably because it costs exponentially more than a battleship and can get destroyed rather easily.
>>
>>13612362
That sounds badass though
>>
>>13612594
Gerard Butler as Roy Focker sounds all kinds of wrong though.
>>
>>13612362

>tfw when it's a muscleman bodybuilding rock band
>tfw it's exactly like Macross 7
>>
>>13612617
>Macross 7: 300 edition
>aka Macross: Village People edition
>>
>>13612383

But they can still use the good part of the Robotech: Genesis Climber Mospeada.
>>
>>13612411
>get the rights to M.A.S.K. instead.
as cool as it was would that even work as a movie or even a new cartoon? if anything I just want a new Centurion video game, the concept won't sell to kids as a new tv show these days but as a video game it's fucking perfect
>>
>>13612626
CULTURE CULTURE MAN
I'VE GOT TO BE
A CULTURE MAN
>>
>>13612662
UN SPACY
Come on, protect the motherland
UN SPACY
Come on and join your fellow man
>>
File: aeZuvsh.jpg (149KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
aeZuvsh.jpg
149KB, 600x450px
>>13611537
>>13611644

I said it's a ridiculous spaceship with parody weapons that is too dumb even by the standards of mecha anime. It's what you get when you had design off to some eight year old who thinks that big guns are automatically cooler so he just draws a bunch of stupidly gigantic guns held together by a tiny robot. It's the mecha equivalent of that disgusting fanart where girls always have boobs bigger than their heads. The only reason the GP03 isn't the ugliest design in Gundam is because the Baund Doc exists.
>>
>>13612682
>implying Doc is anything but beautiful
Opinion invalidated.
>>
>>13612682
I hope you mean the Dendrobium only because Stamen is fucking beautiful.
>>
>>13612661

Why wouldn't M.A.S.K. work? It's just two sides fighting using transforming vehicles and super power helmets. Everything is pretty superfluous and can be changed as desired, but you could easily make a modern cartoon out of the core idea.
>>
>>13612682
you aren't even trying, this is embarrassing
>>
>dat butthurt and powerless Kawamori

AND WE AT ROBOTECHX.COM ALL LAUGHING
>>
>>13612661
Centurions re-imagined as bara mecha guys.

MASK was just the franchise that happened to pop into my mind. Googling around it's apparently been absorbed into the GI Joe IP like how Gobots joined Transformers, and turns out Some Guy Online says there's rumors of GI Joe 3 to have some MASK stuff in it.
>>
I wonder though, if kawamori made a series featuring non transforming future jet fighters but has the same vibe to the the series as macross but is clearly isn't would they get sued?
>>
File: carl macek.jpg (66KB, 408x352px) Image search: [Google]
carl macek.jpg
66KB, 408x352px
How can one man be so based?
>>
>>13610489
>Age: unknown
>>
>>13612734
I imagine the non-transforming part would be enough to separate the two. The "vibe" of a series isn't nearly enough ground to stand on and any judge worth their white wig would throw the case out. That's like saying HG has a good case against Yukikaze because Macross and Yukikaze both feature futuristic air combat.

I can't even imagine the hoo-haa going down if HG tried to sue Kawamori over the usage of Macross designs. Of course given the legal tangle of the entire shlock I think they actually might have a presentable case if it were HG vs distribution of Macross by a JP company in America. However, HG will do nothing even if they win, so the poor fans will have to go back to looking at grainy animation errors during episodes to look for new Destroids.
>>
>>13611609
>If it wasn't for DYRL, we wouldn't have had Macross 7
Fuck, DYRL wasn't worth it.
>>
File: 1438986247731.jpg (165KB, 699x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1438986247731.jpg
165KB, 699x1000px
>>13612746
>How can one man be so dead?
Fixed that for you.
>>
>>13612746
Those Robotech VF models were fucking atrocious. As for Macek I don't hate him for Robotech despite it being the three-legged monstrosity that it is. Harmony Gold however should be burned to ground.
>>
>>13612734
it's enough as long it has a different name, they could easily sell Frontier in the west if they renamed some stuff
like Yamato is Star Blazers
>>
I wonder if Kawamori is aware of the Tau from 40k. A lot of their stuff feels like it is something he would draw.
>>
>>13614012
>they could easily sell Frontier in the west if they renamed some stuff
No they can't. There's too much reference to previous Macross series and mentioning of the word 'Macross'. Unlike Yamato it isn't a sequel so they could rename stuff when it was localized in the US.
>>
Most of the interesting stuff has already been mentioned in the thread, but I did find it notable that he said

> Matsuzaki also did a part of the scenario, such as the technology for the Minovsky particle, and so on. So there was already this history.

And that he had come up with the colony laser. I'm aware much of the original Gundam series wasn't down to Tomino and that he was just the director working for hire on a commissioned show, but still I wonder how much else of the stuff that is famous from Gundam was contributed by others.
>>
>>13612302
>and she just sold Robotech to Sony earlier in March.

I don't have a reaction image powerful enough for this news.
>>
>>13612662
>>13612669
IT'S FUN TO STAY ON THE
A
R
M
D
>>
>Hollywood Copies But Never Credits
what?
>>
>>13614762
Referencing the plot of Stealth being similar to Macross Plus and Robotech never really crediting Kawamori for anything.
>>
Why do HG give a shit about Macross that much? Don't they get all their money doing shady shit instead of Robotech which no one today gives a shit anymore?
>>
>>13611933
It's about what they can convince a circuit court judge. They just have to bullshit enough that the judge doesn't disbelieve them.
>>
>>13614821

IP is valuable, even if you're shit at exploiting it
>>
“During the time of Macross Plus, I presented the AI idea to the team. That Sharon Apple being this black box would be something that people would applaud. That the visuals an AI would produce would be something to be admired. Many of the staff at the time said that this was really unlikely but then Hatsune Miku came around, so reality caught up in the end.”

>Hatsune Miku

>Hatsune Miku

>Hatsune Miku

YEAH. Maybe, just maybe Hatsune Miku will be a real thing in macross delta!
>>
>>13615230
She did cross over alongside Frontier in SRW UX already, so why not.
>>
File: A Bright For Ye Thoughts.jpg (93KB, 636x344px) Image search: [Google]
A Bright For Ye Thoughts.jpg
93KB, 636x344px
>>13614058

>Tomahawks literally carrying missile pods, burst cannons, flamers, fusion blasters in a single package
>costs only two Sentinels' worth

>tfw you realize the Monster is the Broadside in an alternate universe

>tfw Tau start fielding Valkyries
>>
>>13608602
Who cares if Harmony popularised Macross in the West? I am sure they payed peanuts for Macross and those other two shows.

Goddammit the West just poisons anime. It should stay Japanese.
>>
>>13615297
Tau Valkyrie

>transformation is a free action done one per turn at any point.
>each form has different stats.
>>
>>13610232
Ja anime is ofcourse still very nichè outside Japan, the anime boom is long gone. Macross is also VERY Japanese.

I don't think Macross could be a big hit. Even if CR or Funi wanted to pick it up there wouldn't be much ¥. The legal shitstorm isn't worth it.

Apple vs. Samsung was worth all the lawyers and courtcases. But who wants to fight this battle?
>>
>working at a con a few years back
>had some bandai and hasegawa macross kits for sale
>one guy (probably HG shill) got in my face for selling macross stuff but no robotech
>start spouting about how macek introduced macross to the west
>"without him you probably would never heard of macross"
>tfw growing up in south east asia I watched macross first, never heard of robotech until I was in my late teens
>guy started rambling about how macek made macross better with the edits
>I called security to have the man removed
I really have no problem with robotech but goddamn
>>
>>13615692
most anime are very japanese, doesn't mean it won't be well received outside of japan, you're right about the legal battle though, macross isn't worth going through all that so I very much doubt CR, Funi or daisuki would even bother despite HG not having control of macross in some areas, like South East Asia and South America
>>
>>13615692
>the anime boom is long gone
It's back actually.
>>
>>13610563
Considering HG Wells was a rather vocal socialist and SJW is justa buzzword/insult that generally means "anybody who is to the left of me that I don't like", then I'm sure some people would.
>>
>>13612661
I work with kids at a theater camp. Brought over some old Centurion toys before. A bunch of the kids wanted them. I'm totally sure a renewed toyline would at least would still find an audience.

Here's how you'd successfully reboot Centurions as a show/toyline.

Make the Exo-Frames toys like amiboos and Skylanders. You buy a set of armor in real life, you can use it in a game.

Make the cast a little more diverse, add another girl to two, John Thunder isn't just "the native american dude, etc.

GIVE LUCY AN EXO-FRAME. Maybe make her talk too. Point is you have an ORAGATAN WITH POWER ARMOR. Push this in the advertising. People are gonna notice that.

Queer subtext. Whatever you can get away with! Queer bating is guaranteed to make a fandom. 4chan will throw a fit, but /toy/ is the only board you're really marketing to there. If you can make it main text, do it.
>>
>>13611786
>>13611887
>>13611933
Sounds like Chaiyo

I wonder when they'll start claiming they created Macross in the first place
>>
>>13616474
In before they try to falsify Ishiguro/Kawamori's signature.
>>
I know the HG boogeyman is strong in these parts and all, but in what kind of world does a licensing agreement from the 80s cover streaming media?

They don't. And it's something that's come up a lot over the last decade plus.

I'm not saying it isn't them, but /m/ jumps the gun a lot. Remember when you lot were convinced they "killed" Mechwarrior 5 due to that C&D to IGN? When in actuality it was Piranha that took it out back and gave it the ol' Yeller so they could get in on that F2P micro transaction gravy train?
>>
>>13616626
The current agreement isn't from the 80's though. It's been amended and renewed several times since then.
>>
File: VMYnyxK.gif (995KB, 257x194px) Image search: [Google]
VMYnyxK.gif
995KB, 257x194px
>>13615297
> Tau is Protoculture
>>
>>13615644
>implying anime didn't copy Disney because of Tezuka
Anime was never 100% Japanese. They always derived from foreign sources and influences.

The US is responsible for popularizing anime once the Euros and Latinos lost interest in the 90's. You wouldn't even have your fansubs if people hadn't gained interest from American-licenses titles.
>>
>>13616796
>The US is responsible for popularizing anime once the Euros and Latinos lost interest in the 90's.

Except we never lost interest in anime during the 90s here in France.
>>
Hey /m/, forgive me for being a slowpoke. But whats your consensus on Delta?
>>
>>13610489
Are there other new characters revealed yet this week?
>>
>>13616934
>consensus
>on what amounts to 30 seconds of footage from the pilot episode
As someone who loves Macross, we can all objectively agree the CGI looks unfinished so far. Everything else is subjective in nature, no matter what these faggots will tell you.
>>
>>13616796

You say it like Tezuka stole from Disney when he didn't. Disney was the one who got his career started in the first place.
>>
>>13616626
HG has never had any sort of rights to the footage or designs of other Macross shows, please try to have any idea what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>13617899
>HG has never had any sort of rights to the footage or designs of other Macross shows, please try to have any idea what the fuck you're talking about.
Down, Fido. Yes, Tatsunoko had no rights to sell Macross anything, but it took the Japanese twenty plus years and several lawsuits to finally decide who had what.
>>
>>13616873
This, fellow french Anon here, anime and manga was always pretty big here since the airing of Grendizer in France. It never lost steam.
>>
>>13618121
you yuros and your grendizer. its precious.
>>13615701
best post in the thread
>>
>>13608124
>>“I really wish I could have Macross released in its entirety across the world though. If I had the chance to officially stream Macross Delta and make it available to fans everywhere, like Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, I’d be very happy to see that happen.”
Man that's kind of depressing
>>
File: 3.jpg (57KB, 594x576px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
57KB, 594x576px
>>13616941
I have two for you. First is Kaname Buccaneer and she's the leader of the Walkure unit. I just want to make something clear and say that the Walkure unit do no pilot the valkyries and instead Delta squadron does which protects them. So I guess Delta Squadron is the Diamond Force and Walkure is Sound Squadron.
>>
File: wS6IJdX.png (241KB, 568x624px) Image search: [Google]
wS6IJdX.png
241KB, 568x624px
>>13618945
Next is Makina Nakajima. She's Walkure's mechanic specialist. Maybe at some point Walkure will pilot VFs since this implies some of them, at least Makina, has some military background.
>>
>>13618945
>Buccaneer
I can see a lot of pirate jokes coming in the future.

>>13618958
>mechanic idol
I like the sound of this. Not only can she entertain you, she repairs your tech as well!
>>
>>13618973
Also the main heroine(?). Not much is known about her but she's 14 which is awfully young but she does seem a bit childish in the trailer. I'm starting to think the main love interests will be that meltrandi woman we saw and >>13610489
>>
File: 1.jpg (61KB, 615x618px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
61KB, 615x618px
>>13618994
And of course I forget my pic...
>>
>>13610513
Forbes realizes the new nerd audience is a engineering young guy, a google nerd, who has money, (weebs spend a lot of $$$ and this looks like it got a lot of hits)
>>
>>13610489
So she is the meant to be the objectively pretty one, and also the mysterious cool beauty?
>>
>>13618945
>>13618958
>>13618995
Thanks anon.
>>
>>13618995
HONK
>>
>>13616796
No I think some Japanese guy is responsible for popularising anime in Japan.

The American anime industry is irrelevant. Not everything is about USA.
The money is in Japan, always has been.
>>
>>13618633
>If I had the chance to officially stream Macross Delta and make it available to fans everywhere, like Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, I’d be very happy to see that happen.”
He still can on a limited scale, put it up on youtube and restrict it to Asian region only, HG has no power here
>>
>>13616796
>Once Euros and Latinos lost interest in the 90s

More like the early-mid 00s.

>>13619402
Yeah, so irrelevant that even Japanese companies are gunning for a slice of the pie.

>Sunrise
>NIS
>Aniplex
>Pony Canyon
>Kodansha (for manga)
>>
>>13619485
If I was Kawamori I would do that.
>he does this
>every non-asian Macross fan either watch through a proxy or someone rips it for everyone
>HG gets no money out of that and can't do shit against the Kawamori
>Kawamori gets his goal of bringing Macross to everyone in Asia in a legal way on his part, but the online community indirectly helps him to accomplish his goal of bringing it to everyone in the world by ripping the video
>>
File: 1406793619227.png (84KB, 4000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1406793619227.png
84KB, 4000x4000px
>>13610945
>Only 7 can be claimed to have that. The rest was victory through superior firepower.
>>
>>13620318

That's not bait though?

Just the original alone - the war was not resolved through pacifism or appeals to peace, Minmay's song stunned the Zentradi into inaction as the Grand Cannon destroyed a large portion of the invading fleet, and a thousand strong defected Zentradi force held off the remainder while the Macross detonated thousands of Reaction warheads inside Boddole Zer's flagship.

It's not as trite and simplistic as DYRL, but it absolutely is a case where a war needed to be won through force. That's not a negative, by the way.
>>
>>13620475
Even DYRL was a case of Hikaru flying in and shooting Boddole Zer in the face.
Plus was ended by shooting Sharon Apple.
Frontier was the Vajra figuring out individuality via Ranka/Sheryl and turning around to fight the real threat with them, then they shot the evil masterminds.
>>
>>13620503
music is the journey, not the destination.

Macross 2 was won by literal singing.
>>
>>13620214
now if only there's a way to tell him he could do this, I'm serious, if I could I'd tell him while he might not get the global audience he wanted but the asian market is pretty big on its own, once that happens everyone else can just proxy view it, hell I'll even sit through the youtube adds for this
>>
>>13620727
Find a way to contact him on his website I guess?
>>
>>13610064

Interesting notion. Never thought of that before.
>>
>>13610064
He's too stoned to notice a lot of things
>>
>>13609971
>singing

Fuck this. I'll make make my own Macross with Helicopters and Death Metal.
>>
Not even the new promo can get through the region block
Thanks fucking HG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O96UiWf1cDo
>>
>>13620475
>>13620503
>That Battle Frontier sucker punch
>Nuke Vajra Queen's head off
>Snipe Grace in the face
Idk, that seemed plenty violent to me
>>
>>13625106
>the uploader
are you too stupid to read?
>>
>>13625774
>not knowing Big West being keked by HG is the reason why they can't make it available in the west without legal repercussions
Are you too stupid to live?
>>
>>13626608
Bandai Visual has always region locked things though.
Thread posts: 199
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.