[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay guys, explain me please, how this twenty-foot pile of scrap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

File: 1429922194661.jpg (925KB, 1500x1495px) Image search: [Google]
1429922194661.jpg
925KB, 1500x1495px
Okay guys, explain me please, how this twenty-foot pile of scrap metal with the aerodynamics of the iron and engines on her ass manages to fly?
>>
>>13589509
IT JUST WORKS
>>
>>13589509
why it shouldn't?
>>
>>13589509
Because it looks cool.
>>
It thinks happy thoughts
>>
>>13589513
Todd please.
>>
>>13589509
It throws itself at the ground and misses.
>>
>>13589509
Because it saw your mum
>>
File: phantom.jpg (236KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
phantom.jpg
236KB, 1024x683px
>>13589509
Okay guys, explain me please, how this fifty-seven-foot pile of scrap metal with the aerodynamics of the iron and engines on her ass manages to fly?
>>
File: yf-22 yf-23 1.jpg (433KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
yf-22 yf-23 1.jpg
433KB, 1280x1024px
>>13589509
So, semi-serious answer this time:
- Firstly, almost everything you see in the TE anime is not how it is described in the VNs, and is almost uniformly terrible.
- Early TSFs, like the one you pictured, couldn't "fly", per-se. They could boost-jump over considerable distances, but that's more like controlled falling. That's not very much different than how MS do it in early UC.

Generation 2 TSFs could hover, however, and most Generation 2.5 and all Generation 3 TSFs can actually fly, using some form of as-yet-undescribed ground-effect mechanism. And it'll probably remain forever unspecified, simply because it's quite silly, even if it's integral to the genre mubrub is parodying.
>>
File: metal gear.jpg (26KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
metal gear.jpg
26KB, 640x480px
>>
>>13589694
Because she has wings?
>>
File: German-flavoured_freedom_fries.png (1MB, 1000x806px) Image search: [Google]
German-flavoured_freedom_fries.png
1MB, 1000x806px
>>13589719
That is, whenever in MUV-Luv says about flying it is, in fact, the errors of the designers/writers/artists and it, actually, is a protracted jumping?
>>
>>13589745
Ignore him he's full of shit.

The only justification they have is because of timeline divergence the space program and therefore rocket and jet engine technology advanced well ahead of time with a couple super materials. They're low weight, high thrust VTOLs with low operating ranges, that's it.

TE is unique in showing relatively high altitude dogfights because Yukon isn't on the front lines and there's a bit more mobile combat because of the higher average performance of the machines and pilots but NOL flight has been a standard part of TSF tactics from the beginning.
>>
>>13589509
It doesn't fly. It jumps good.
>>
>>13589509
>twenty-foot pile of scrap metal

Closer to twenty METERS, buddy.
>>
>>13589790
No. Alternative very clearly shows during Sadogashima that even when Laser presence is minimal, such as after the XB-70b's attack, the Type-94 is extremely inefficient at 'flying' and lacks the combat endurance to fly the 50 or so kilometers from Sado island to the nearest point in Japan.

Earlier, in chapter 4 Marimo explicitly mentions "hovering" capabilities in reference to the Fubuki, but never talks about flying. We don't really see evidence of what we would call TSF flying until the TE chapter included in Altered Fable
>>
>>13589719
Ground effect is an actual thing involving air getting caught between the wing and the ground and gives you more lift. However, in order to experience ground effect the altitude of the wings needs to be less than the wingspan. You'd get more ground effect from having the wings on the lower legs than at the hips.

Now, I know how /m/ feels about A/Z but the KG-7 Areion actually shows you how to take advantage of ground effect. The wings are attached by the knee and are wide enough that if they folded downwards they'd dig into the ground. THAT is what you want for ground effect crafts.
>>
File: 35843895694905.jpg (533KB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
35843895694905.jpg
533KB, 1400x1000px
>>13589997
It didn't lack the combat endurance to fly back to japan, it didn't have enough fuel during that scene.
>>
>>13589997
Except that whole chapter of Fubukis flying in Unlimited.

>can't fly to the mainland
What part of low operating range did you not get.
>>
>>13589792
WA-CHA!
>>
It's falling with style
>>
>>13589694

Never got why people think the F-4 has shit aerodynamics. It looks every bit the part of a fighter plane. Name one fucking unaerodynamic thing about it that isn't on damn near every other fucking jet fighter, especially ones from the 60s.

Like maybe it has a little higher wing loading than is popular these days, so it's optimized more for flying fast and straight, and is much better at climbing and diving than turning, but this shit was designed in the 50s, they were still figuring out how jets fighting each other would play out. Doctrine called for a fast missile bus with good low-level speed and vertical plane maneuverability, and they got it.
>>
>>13590883
If they want to talk about planes that are just bricks with jet engines, they need not look further than the Mig-21.

The Mig-21 might look like it has some fancy delta wings on it that would do something, but they're just to hold the missiles. If you compared the glide ratio of a stabilized brick to the Mig-21, I'd bet they're very similar.
>>
>>13590273
Not recalling anything like that. All I remember were boost jumps.
>>
>>13590999
The volcano arc. You can see Takeru and Meiya flying above the trees with their Fubukis.
>>
>>13590999
I would prove it if either the old version would install or the W7 version had chapter select.

>>13591164
But this
>>
>>13590883
Mostly the F-4 was too heavy and substituted thrust for aerodynamics. During vietnam it regularly got out maneuvered by MiG-17s at low speeds simply because it didn't have the aerodynamics to keep up. Sure, the F-4 won more often than not but when a third generation machine is in danger from a second generation relic then there's a problem.
>>
>>13591278
Remind me, why didn't we use the F-5?
>>
>>13589509
Technically speaking there's nothing that can't "fly", that is be propelled into the air, with enough force or with strong enough of a motor. Issues are speed, agility while in air, max possible height, steering and possibility, or lack of it, of staying still while in air.
>>
>>13591412
Honestly? Stupidity, probably. US generals were all convinced that dogfighting was a thing of the past and all combat was going to be done with missiles only and wanted to get on the bandwagon before they fully tested the IR seekers under all conditions.

I honestly don't get what they were thinking when they didn't put a gun on the F-4.

But yeah, the F-5 is a work of art. Works under the worst conditions, fast, maneuverable, easy to clean, easy to use, could use a farmer's field as a runway and still compete with other 3rd gen fighter jets.
>>
File: F-35_15128600_big_p1.jpg (252KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
F-35_15128600_big_p1.jpg
252KB, 900x675px
>>13589792
>>13589745
If they can't fly then what the fuck are they doing here? They dropped them out of a plane to see how fast they can hit the ground?
>>
>>13591561

I'd say that it can fly, however it's lack of natural lifting surfaces combined with weight means that it is doing so due to extensive thrust so that it's engines pretty much always have to be putting out thrust that would at best be just below max mil otherwise it would rapidly drop off into "falling uncontrollably".

And we aren't even touching on the issue of airspeed.
>>
Give it enough thrust and a brick will fly.
>>
File: $_57_23_crop.jpg (289KB, 1072x1490px) Image search: [Google]
$_57_23_crop.jpg
289KB, 1072x1490px
>>13591412
F-5 was developed as a cheap fighter for US allies. I'm sure that the top brass at the USAF saw itself as being above it.

In fact, that's literally what Wikipedia claims:
>Though the USAF had no acknowledged need for a light fighter, it did procure roughly 1,200 Northrop T-38 Talon trainer aircraft, which were directly based on the F-5A.

What happened with the Tigershark was a freaking tragedy.
>>
>>13591561
Freefalling.
>>
>>13589719
>>13589792
>It doesn't fly. It jumps good.
HE DIDN'T FLY SO GOOD
>>
>>13590076
>KG-7 Areion
I thought /m/ liked the Earth mechs?
>>
>>13590883
The veteran pilot testimonies that say, over and over and over again, that it couldn't win a turning fight against a school bus, fucknut. If it has been found and decreed unaerodynamic time and again, then "it looks like a fighter jet" isn't going to change anything to its favour. It could one pass, then haul ass, and that's the end of its story.
>>
>>13591847
There's always been something of an anti-light fighter bias in the USAF. I don't know why when they make the best of them. Probably inter-project jealousy.
>>
>>13589719
>Early TSFs, like the one you pictured, couldn't "fly", per-se.
Except for the part where the 666th are described flying extreme NOE with their MiG-21s to proceed to the target lasers and execute their SEAD mission with all haste
>>
>>13589997
>the Type-94 is extremely inefficient at 'flying' and lacks the combat endurance to fly the 50 or so kilometers from Sado island to the nearest point in Japan.
It had just been through heavy combat maneuvers, of course it didn't have enough fuel to NOE flight all the way back home
>>
>>13591958
HE'S A BIG MECH
>>
File: xdkXE.jpg (51KB, 584x329px) Image search: [Google]
xdkXE.jpg
51KB, 584x329px
>>13589509
The same way Iron Man and Superman able to fly without air suspension force or even forward thrust for Supes.
>>
>>13593088
Supes doesn't fly, he jumps good.
>>
>>13592981
FOR TAKERUUUU
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.