[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

...it was a fucking MASS DRIVER? They named the whole fucking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

File: wtf.jpg (20KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
20KB, 680x383px
...it was a fucking MASS DRIVER?

They named the whole fucking fleet off of a common object?
>>
>common object
Oh dear another mass driver, how commonplace. I'll put it with the others.
>>
>>13584234
"We have no idea what the fuck this thing is, but it's called Gargantia so we'll stick with that"
>>
File: 1372600104904.jpg (198KB, 480x900px) Image search: [Google]
1372600104904.jpg
198KB, 480x900px
>>
File: Mass.jpg (384KB, 1200x894px) Image search: [Google]
Mass.jpg
384KB, 1200x894px
>>13584237

Well there were like six.
>>
File: Holed 2.png (477KB, 627x357px) Image search: [Google]
Holed 2.png
477KB, 627x357px
>>13584266

Sorry...eight.

Also, just realized this. He...shit THEY had no home to go back to. Avalon was already destroyed.
>>
>>13584266
>muh stonehenge
>muh yellow 4
>>
>>13584271
They did. That was a video thing they were showing them about why they're fighting. Not reality.
>>
>Mass driver
>Common object

Not really, no.
>>
>>13584261

I thought Ridge would prefer the likes of Raiden more. Considering the whole big gun thing she's got going on.
>>
>>13584237
I swear to god, if in this year's secret santa I get another fucking mass driver...
>>
>>13584271
Say goodbye to Avalon as it fades into the dawn.
>>
>>13584261

>Open image
>Almost tangibly hear the announcer, time ticking down, the beep everytime you move the selection, the kickass background music

>tfw the only available machine is in the next country over
>>
>>13584234

It was one of the few pieces of high technology they had. It was also the centerpiece of the fleet. Its as good a name as any, lots of places get named after distinguishing features of the local terrain.

The interesting thing is, that's Evolver tech. The Union/Alliance had their space elevator for getting to space, they didn't need the Mass Drivers. Between this and the fact that the Gargantian's considered Whalesquid to be sacred (a belief not universal to the world, as we see in one of the extra episodes there are other fleets that worship the sky instead) odds are good that the Gargantian fleet is descended from Evolvers left behind/Evolver sympathizers.

Likewise, thee fleet that would eventually become the Kugel fleet was descended from Alliance sympathizers.
>>
>>13584271

There's a theory that by the time Ledo starts his whole adventure, Avalon is long gone and the Alliance (or what's left of it wherever it is) keeps promising leave there as propaganda/morale, knowing their highly expendable soldiers probably won't last long enough to cash in. Those that do, well...

I mean it's just speculation, but knowing what we do about how the Alliance operates, it might be viable.
>>
>>13585143

The damage we see to Avalon just shows one of the 'islands', which are less than 1/100th of Avalon total.

Think of it this way: If Avalon was truly gone, its debateable how long the Alliance would survive without it but they sure as SHIT wouldn't include that fact in their daily brainwashing.

Its much more likely that the images we see are fake to get alliance soldiers scared or losing/mad at the aliens. Though, given how long the war has gone on, there are good chances that the damage we see was inflicted by the Hideauze during a previous fight that got too close to Avalon. Not one that resulted in the destruction of Avalon, but one which still resulted in the deaths of what must have been thousands of people.
>>
Were the Gargantia OVAs any good?
>>
File: download.png (168KB, 264x654px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
168KB, 264x654px
>>13585172

Naw...Avalon is hauling ass at near light speed as not to get caught. Yes, the Alliance is probably WAY more under populated than the Hideuze who are probably in the billions, but it really does not seem like the squids are actively going after the Alliance.

Btw...so is Avalon some giant orgy party or something? I mean the character designer was/is a hentai artist.
>>
>>13584371
Well, in the end, we all return to oblivion.
>>
>>13584424
muh nigga
>>
File: download (1).png (343KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).png
343KB, 480x360px
>>13588118

One other thing I noticed about this entire series. I think its creator was inspired to make it based off a very short arc from an old, but decent JRPG.
>>
>>13584424
GET READY
>>
>>13587680

Yes. The first one just sort of eases you into Ledo's post-chamber life, but the second one has plenty of plot.

This is very clearly the setup for what season 2 is supposed to be, if it ever gets made. Which, given that its been only a couple years since the first show and we already got OVAs and extra episodes out of it, might actually happens since Gargantia must be making somebody some money.
>>
>>13584237

I know, right? I can't even walk to my car without practically tripping over one of the damn things.

Fucking kids littering the street with their used mass drivers.
>>
>>13589642
There was going to be a second season, but it got retooled into a light novel series instead.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-04/bandai-visual-planned-gargantia-2nd-season-scrapped-in-favor-of-novel/.86734
>>
>>13589759

Interesting. I hope it gets translated.

I wonder... I know that LNs get adapted to anime with some frequency. Has there ever been a case of original anime - continuation as LN - that LN continuation eventually gets animated?
>>
>>13588118
>Naw...Avalon is hauling ass at near light speed as not to get caught.

Why do I get a megastructure and The Fleet of Worlds vibe from this picture?
>>
>>13593521

Because what you are looking at is a structure about 25,000 miles long and may be the last surviving vestige of mankind, thus...The Fleet, so to speak.
>>
>>13594347
Do we have any other details about it or a larger picture? It looks like a Dyson swarm anchored to a singularity for energy.
>>
>>13594645

It is, basically. The Alliance is a mid to high Type II, but the Hids zerg rush the fuck out of them.
>>
>>13594942
Is that the one featuring genderswapped versions of Amy and Ledo?
>>
>>13594963
Meant for >>13589759
>>
>>13594963
Not that anon, but yes.
>>
>>13588118
>but it really does not seem like the squids are actively going after the Alliance.

I didn't get that impression at all. Seems to me the squids are instinctively attacking the Alliance at this point since they lost all their humanity.
>>
>>13595021

So as Chamber said in ep. 9 that Ledo should not feel bad for killing them because the symbionts HAVE made them essentially alien and thus a threat to humanity?

>>13588182

You know...oddly enough I got that too.

>>13589759

This will deal with the nations of Land, the remnant of those who did not go in into space with the Alliance. My question is how far in the future is this? How long does it take for a nearly ice covered Earth to thaw?
>>
>>13584266
Anymore artwork like this? The pre-freeze Earth had some cool looking tech.
>>
>>13595021
I doubt that. Even if they're no longer physically or genetically human there would have been no reason for them to throw away their human intelligence in a drawn out war of attrition in space.
>>
>>13596041
Dude, both sides of the conflict lost anything resembling humanity to their technology a long ass time ago.

The symbiotes are so fused to their human hosts that they exist as one on a genetic level.
They don't exist as humans who wear symbiotes, they are symbiotehuman hybrids that have organic technology
Any small remnants of a human social structure they have would naturally have changed and mutated along with their bodies and thinking. They would be come so different from normal humans that, there would be no need to throwaway their human intelligence, they would have evolved away from it and become something totally alien.

The machines rule the humans so thoroughly so completely that they're society at every level is nothing more then an outgrowth of the machines cold logical way of thinking and the humans are nearly a vestigial organ that is kept around because the machines need something unquantifiable from the human cattle/organic cpu components.
And if chamber fighting on his own, and the way the relationship with ledo went is any indication..I honestly think they see humans as fucking pets.
Look at the way he treated the humans left on earth, he was strange fucked up and weird to them. He lacked any ability to deal with them in normal ways.

The basic plot of this series is the retreat back to what makes humans humans. The fear of losing what makes us, us and a rejection of technologically controlled society.

Hell, it's why dungeons and dragons is so popular there.
>>
>>13596085
Like I said. Despite all that there's no reason they would lose their intelligence. Alliance humans still had intelligence despite their situation and we have nothing to go on for the Hideauze since their only appearance is in battle with the Alliance during which they did manage to make use of tactics. I see no reason why they would throw away the ability to think while in a constant fight for survival.
>>
>>13596106
There is litterally no way in hell they still have anything resembling human intelligence now.
Look at them and their technology.
They way they think and live necessitated entire new ways of conceptualizing life itself.
They aren't animals, but they damned sure ain't human anymore.
>>
>>13596041
>there would have been no reason for them to throw away their human intelligence

Except you are forgetting the squid people purposely chased after the humans even after they abandoned the Earth. The first thing you do when you train someone to fight is to remove their humanity. Clearly the squid people just removed their humanity outright so they wouldn't have to bother removing it through training. After all their whole gimmick was about as being as efficient as possible no matter the consequences. I'm sure they have some brain squids who still have some human intelligence, but the masses are just drones.
>>
>>13596120
Maybe not but I doubt they now have below human intelligence just because they no longer have human bodies and I don't see how just saying "well look at them" is supposed to support that idea.
>>
>>13596138
>>13596120
>>13596106
>>13596085

Well...shot in the dark to you two, but maybe the reason the Hideauze go after humans is they see humans as a side food source...or maybe to make more of them. Iirc, there was a translation of an early story of Gargantia that deals with the fate of Ledo's "mate" Myrica.
>>
>>13596142
I'm not saying they have "BELOW" human intelligence, I'm saying the way they think is totally alien and has ideas and concepts and social structures that we more then likely can not understand and can't even be conceptualized adequately.

As for "just look at them" I mean "Just look at them".
You wouldn't actually be able to understand a society that has their people walk out into the middle of their towns when the sun is at it's highest then shoot the last person to show up in the head then go about their day.
That's just fucked up and weird.
No imagine an entire society filled with things like that, with ways of thinking like that, with ways of thinking that we wouldn't be able to even start learning because we actively lack what they have when it comes to talking about it.

That's what I'm saying. They are totally alien and trying to understand them will be goddamned tough.
>>
>>13596172
> I'm not saying they have "BELOW" human intelligence, I'm saying the way they think is totally alien and has ideas and concepts and social structures that we more then likely can not understand and can't even be conceptualized adequately.

This. It honestly must have been sort of horrifying to watch in action.

The original Hideauze were just Evolvers in alien spacebodies. They had all of their culture and intelligence and experience as humans, just in new forms.

But even two generations later, the newly born Hideauze are not going to have any of that. Do they even have a written language anymore? If so, how? They certainly don't have computers of machines, nor do they have tools beyond their own bodies. How do they record information for later generations?

They are intelligent, but without something to anchor that intelligence they would have lost their ability to grasp human history and culture and worldview after just 100 years.

I like to imagine that, at the heart of the Blossom Sail, is an incredibly ancient computer that the Evolvers bought with them, storing a massive amount of historical data and information from Earth. But the modern Hideauze don't know what it is anymore. They know it is important, and they guard it. Maybe they even worship it. But they are so far removed now from the very concept of tool use that they don't understand its function.
>>
>>13598152

Two words anon

Hive mind

>>13596171

It would be really nice to see what life was like aboard Avalon.
>>
>>13594942
>It is, basically. The Alliance is a mid to high Type II, but the Hids zerg rush the fuck out of them.

Yeah if they're dragging a singularity around like that I'd say Type II. At that point I would just get the fuck out of the galaxy but if the swarm is traveling near the speed of light it's a great defense.
>>
>>13584261
Ugh, right in the childhood. Temjin for life, man.

>>13584424
We still have it here in the Philippines.
>ROUND 1, GET READY.mp3
>>
Somebody here remarked that according to other material, the evolvers depend on riding shotgun with the other faction's hyperjump tech to propagate beyond their original bits of space.

The Hideazu basically figured out how to survive in space, but they got no means of actually covering cosmic distances.

But then again, that would mean that the Evolvers could have just hung out in the solar system and recolonize Earth after the ice age...
>>
>>13584234
>One of the high-level technology left behind from the previous civilization
>Common object
>>
>>13591170
I've never heard one. But the fact that they're continuing it on an LN means there was no hope for the anime. Which is a good thing since Gargantia already ended perfectly.
>>
>>13600550
Wait, Hideauze have no ability to FTL? So the Alliance is just blundering into them over and over?
>>
>>13601273

I think the Hideauze is utilize the wormhole network that the Alliance uses, so by definition the Hideauze show up anywhere that the Alliance goes.

The difference is that the Alliance is still limited in their living space by what they can build, while the Hideauze once they get into a star system will naturally just infest the whole place until you go in and burn them out.

The Alliance certainly isn't acting like the Hideauze are something they can just ignore until they are ready to go in and take care of it.
>>
>>13588130
skyrim was better
>>
Based on the Hieauze we see on earth. It really doesn't look to me like they have anything resembling modern human intelligence, they're like dolphins more than people. They just fuck around swimming all the time, and kill things that fuck with them. There is no sign of something more from them. I also can't buy into the hive mind thought, because the way their earth bound contemplates behave doesn't support that. Unless we want to assert that the Space Squids in no way resemble their cousins on earth.

I also don't think the robots of the alliance think of the humans as pets. I'm more willing to believe someone fucked up and programmed even worse Colossus. They act for the Good of Man kind as whole, and to defeat the enemy of mankind. They screwed up when they programmed it and didn't tell the robots that killing old people, cripples, and others who would be dependent on society isn't cool.
>>
>>13601831

The robots are not the ones killing the sick and the old. The humans are. The robots just agree, because the robots are programmed to want what their controllers want.
No AI in Gargantia is ever shown to express a desire for something that it was not told it wanted by a human. They have no individual drive. They exist solely to carry out their programming, and they are limited by the programming that has been provided to them.

Even at the end of the show, Chamber's 'sacrifice' is merely the most expedient way to accomplish all of Ledo's stated goals: defeat Striker and have Ledo survive to return to Gargantia. No different from any other mission objective.
>>
>>13601831
>Unless we want to assert that the Space Squids in no way resemble their cousins on earth.
You wouldn't equate humankind with the other great apes just because they're closely related would you?
The earth squid are leftovers that got left behind while the main Evolvers went into space and continued adapting. The only thing earth squid tell us is how evolvers adapted to sea life act.
>>
>>13601997

The Earth squids were said to be less violent and weaker than their space counterparts, presumably because they haven't been waging space war for thousands of years.
>>
>>13600526

Well anon you have to understand that, and answering >>13595060 third question, these two forces have been slapping each other around for about 6000 odd years, based on an estimate for how long it would take for Earth to thaw.
>>
>>13587680

I wish I could find somewhere to watch all the OVAs/shorts in one place
>>
>>13603570
> these two forces have been slapping each other around for about 6000 odd years, based on an estimate for how long it would take for Earth to thaw.

It might be a little less than that. Based on the history lesson that we get in the ending credits of the final episode from Bebel, he says that the surviving humans on Earth brought back the sun (ending the ice age) only by sacrificing the land to do it. Which, presuming it is in any way accurate, sounds like the remaining human technocivilization artificially ended the ice age *somehow* in order to make the world habitable again, but in the process turned it into waterworld.

If that's true, then the Ice Age would have ended significantly sooner than normal climate change estimates would predict.
>>
>>13603580
Learn how to torrent
>>
File: image.png (171KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
171KB, 400x533px
>>13604259

Well, how long did it take for the Alliance to get to their tech level?
>>
>>13604899

Unclear. They had at least rudimentary AI before they left Earth, and proto-Machine calibers. They had electromagnetic weapons already, even if they made more compact and more powerful versions later.

It seems that their materials sciences and gravity control tech improved immensely in space, if nothing else. But a fair amount of their technology they already had the basics of before they left Earth. They probably could have reached their current tech level in 1000 years without much trouble.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.