[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I keep giving anime a chance to impress me, and it keeps failing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 009wallpaper02_1920.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
009wallpaper02_1920.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
I keep giving anime a chance to impress me, and it keeps failing to reciprocate with anything approachable. I figured if a flick is getting a release, even a tiny one, in the West, someone somewhere must think it’s got some appeal for non-Japanese audiences, but 009 Re: Cyborg is a whole lotta WTF folded into a derivative, misogynist, and just plain incoherent mess. Are there different narrative rules for anime, like the plots don’t actually have to make any sense? Someone tell me now so I can give up trying to understand the genre.

The superfriends gang here is kinda like X-Men meets The Avengers, except this multiracial superpowered team are all cyborgs, apparently: “cyborgs” is just thrown out to inspire geek awe without any explanation of what it means, and none of their superpowers appear to align with what we generally think part-human, part-robot beings might be able to do; the term is nothing more than technobabble. They’re called into action as skyscrapers are tipping over into one another in cities around the world, because Terrorists, and maybe it’s some sort of nefarious plot by the Americans? (The universal mistrust and suspicion of the U.S., which is not the great savior of the planet here, is the only potentially interesting thing about the story, but a slip of attitude alone is barely the beginnings of anything intriguing, and is never pursued.) Maybe some of the bad guys are hearing “His Voice,” and maybe some of the good guys are, too. Maybe some people obey “His Voice,” and maybe some people don’t. Maybe it’s good when some people resist “His Voice,” and maybe it’s good when some people obey. I have no idea what the hell “His Voice” is saying, and no idea who He is, and neither does the movie, either. It’s just another thing tossed in because it’s allegedly creepy or cool or mysterious.
>>
Like how there’s an ethereal ghostly blond girl wandering through the movie for reasons unknown. Or how the cyborg’s leader is like what would happen if you threw Professor Xavier and Davros and a Child of the Damned into a genetic blender. Or how someone can shout, halfway through the film, “Doctor! Send me there via teleportation!” and you just have to throw up your hands and cry, “What?! They’ve got teleportation all of a sudden?!”

Did I mention it’s in 3D? That’s so you can fully appreciate the many shots up a lady cyborg’s ass, cuz her skirt is too short so whaddaya gonna do? It’s not like anyone deliberately drew her in a state of near undress for her streetwear, or placed the virtual camera up in her crotch. These things just happen.

Comprehensibility must have gotten accidentally thrown out with that poor woman’s clothing.
>>
autism
>>
>>13547622
>>13547625
Source?
>>
>>13547929
https://archive.is/xvj2A
>lol stupid shitty wacky sexist jap anime for babbies that rips off avengers and xmen
>>
>>13547932
Ah, so it's from a try-hard caustic critic.
That explains most of it.
The only question left is whether or not it really is that incomprehensible, of if the critic just didn't pay attention to a damn thing.

Those comments live up to every stereotype about entry-level anime I've ever seen. It's astounding.
>>
>>13548553
>if the critic just didn't pay attention to a damn thing.
They did a review for Cardcaptor Sakura The Movie 2. Then complained that it didn't really make any sense, and even clearly says that they have no idea what Cardcaptor Sakura is and that it is "apparently" based off of a show. I genuinely can't even fathom how fucking stupid someone has to be to attempt to seriously review a sequel movie (with 2 in the title) to a series, without even knowing anything about the series, and expect it to make sense.
They obviously don't care what they watch, they'll keep fucking pumping out 10 line "reviews" for more ad revenue and to make their body of work look big.
>>
Western audiences don't get RE:. In fact, they're too dumb to get a lot of things.

Surprisingly enough, I made a visit to Amazon Japan, and the audiences fucking loved it.
>>
>>13549103
Would you mind posting up samples of the reaction?

Some entry level anime review sites aren't worth believing.
>>
>>13547622
>Are there different narrative rules for anime, like the plots don’t actually have to make any sense?

Japanese media in general, my friend. The Japs are an inscrutable people. Their ways are mysterious to all but their own. There has never been a single mainstream Japanese work that's "made sense" to non-Asians. Their art is simply colorful nonsense (excuse me, "nansensu"; why can't Japs English?) meant as escapism for horny salarymen and basement dwelling otaku parasites.
>>
Western "adaptation" movies work to establish themselves as their own franchise. They are often only very loosely related to the source material, often translate things into live action, and change characters as well as adding their own. They work to basically make the product their own, sometimes to the point where its almost completely unrecognizable as being an adaptation (Just look at the Seventh Son movie earlier this year).

Japanese movies based on anime and manga typically work within the established setting and change very little about the characters or world, although they do write original plots for them. They usually keep the movie as part of the established franchise rather than trying to make it something original on its own to market.
>>
>>13549186
http://www.amazon.co.jp/009-RE-CYBORG-%E8%B1%AA%E8%8F%AF%E7%89%88-Blu-ray/dp/B00BT561WQ/ref=pd_sim_21_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51hry5PvSHL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1D7W0P6FWB60QPR78ERZ
>>
File: happy jap.jpg (92KB, 512x450px) Image search: [Google]
happy jap.jpg
92KB, 512x450px
>>13549302

Wah! Wah! Cry some more you little fanboy. If these works can't stand on their own, they shouldn't bother trying to show them to ignorant foreign devils (お馬鹿外人下さい) in the first place. More likely the simple-minded yellow monkeys can't actually conceive of a story that makes sense. Name ONE story "Made in Japan" that actually makes sense or isn't weird and irredeemably alien. That's right, kid, you can't.
>>
>>13549345
>sees the wishes for a sequel
And so they still wait
>>
>>13549360
who the fuck are you

back to /pol/
>>
>>13547622
Anime is an aquired taste. My advice: stick to Hollywood capeshit.

There is no law that says you HAVE to like anime.
>>
>>13549451

オラ宇宙の希望.....
正義の味方!!お前の悪夢だぁ‼︎‼︎‼︎‼︎‼︎‼︎
>>
>>13549475
... Not fucking yet, at least.
>>
File: trollrating.png (511KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
trollrating.png
511KB, 640x480px
>>13547622
>misogynist
This is where I stopped.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.