[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Power armor is a silly fantasy that violates the laws of physics.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 15

File: 1306825265390.gif (3MB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1306825265390.gif
3MB, 250x188px
Power armor is a silly fantasy that violates the laws of physics. Fallout is garbage.

Prove me wrong.
>>
Airplanes are a silly fantasy that violates the laws of physics. Ace Combat is gargage.
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>13526673
But airplanes violates the law of physics. Its fucking mindboggling.
>>
>>13526665
>a suit of armor with gadgets in it
>violates the laws of physics
Is this some stupid new meme I don't know about?
>>
>>13526665
>Power armor is a silly fantasy that violates the laws of physics.
You what?
>>
>>13526692
A fusion powered pneumatic exoskeleton. You really think that fusion could be performed in a canister the size of a soda can? We can't even get it right in plant scale.
>>
>>13526729
Prove me wrong, bitch. Why don't we have real life fusion fed Power armor if this isn't the case?
>>
File: 1395550011864.jpg (34KB, 500x286px) Image search: [Google]
1395550011864.jpg
34KB, 500x286px
>>13526731
Ok, but Fallout power armor isn't the only thing that can be called power armor.
>>13526737
>power armor violates the laws of physics
>fusion fed power armor violates the laws of physics
You see, these are two different statements.
>>
>>13526739
I apologize for the ambiguity. I thought the statement about Fallout being garbage would clarify what I meant.
>>
>>13526731
Scientifically it's quite doable. What prevents fusion from working are engineering obstacles: possible, but not yet practical.

The least realistic part is the pneumatics, since we'll be using artificial muscles, but that's part of the 1950s aesthetic Fallout is built on.
>>
So, you're complaining that a franchise, with things like portable nukes and a mutant zombie fused with a tree, using power armor is unrealistic?
>>
/v/ was sperging out about how their precious Fallout Power Armor fusion batteries have been changed.

I made the OP statement, they suggested I post it here. I doubted this board would support Fallout's version of Power Armor, but some still might.

>>13526752
I'm not complaining, that's the point I was trying to make, really. It's all a fucking fantasy.

>>13526747
I wouldn't agree that it's doable. I think we'd have huge problems with hydrogen storage and injection on such a small system.

Thanks for your all your inputs.
>>
>>13526757
>It's all a fucking fantasy.
As is everything else discussed on this board. Congratulations, you can distinguish fiction from nonfiction.
>>
>>13526885
Some mechs are plausible.
>>
>>13526982
No.
>>
>humans ever mastering fusion power

kek, humans think they can replicate what stars do
>>
>>13526757
Fallout's power armor is unrealistic, but power armor itself is not. several companies are developing exoskeletons for military uses.
>>
>>13526665
>>13526757
Yep you're right, it's all fakey fakey fake fake shit.

Now that we've got that out of the way, what's your favorite power armor in Fallout 4 and why is it not the X-01 with a jetpack?
The Jetpack is so fucking game breaking when you get to points where the game expects you to walk around something to get where you need to go instead of just flying over it, but I love it despite that, and even because of that.

For everything else, I take the X-01 EMP shielding because fuck energy weapons hurting me.
>>
>>13526988
Plausible yes, practical no.
>>
>>13526731
>You really think that computing could be performed in a phone the size of a human hand? We can't even get it right in room scale.

That's how stupid you sound.
>>
File: sarcos-exoskeleton_800_613_80.jpg (117KB, 800x613px) Image search: [Google]
sarcos-exoskeleton_800_613_80.jpg
117KB, 800x613px
>Power armor is a silly fantasy that violates the laws of physics.

We're already halfway there. We have the "power" strength enhancing part, now we just need to add the armor. There a more skeletonal battery powered one meant to go under a military uniform as well iirc.
>>
>>13527037
Any technology and effort wasted on power armor would be 10x better spent on vehicles or unmanned weapons
>>
>>13527046
Not really. Exoskeletons have a ton of applications in fields that don't involve killing people.
>>
File: ICBM_Comparison.jpg (191KB, 1500x1127px) Image search: [Google]
ICBM_Comparison.jpg
191KB, 1500x1127px
>>13527046
We already got plenty of unmanned weapons.
>>
>>13527046
From what I recall, the current purpose of military use exoskeletons and power armor isn't so much directly for combat but instead to allow soldiers to carry more supplies, not tire out as easily on long marches while carrying said supplies, and for maintenance and engineering purposes since it allows you to lift and carry heavy parts much more easily.
>>
>>13527080
oh god... you're back...
Batten down the hatches boys! a Xwing shitstorm is a brewin'
>>
>>13527012
Fusion in a device that size is rather impractical, though. You could probably make a reactor that small, but heat dissipation is going to be a nightmare. Passive heat sinks aren't going to be enough to deal with that, you'd need an active coolant flow. So you'd either need huge tanks of coolant or large air intakes to source it from your environment. Either way, it's going to be pretty bulky, probably more than could fit on the power armor.
>>
File: Hardiman-correct-view_0004-x640.jpg (203KB, 640x895px) Image search: [Google]
Hardiman-correct-view_0004-x640.jpg
203KB, 640x895px
>>13527037
>>
>>13527167
Bad example, considering Hardiman was never turned on with a person inside it for fear it would maim them.
>>
File: hardiman.jpg (71KB, 630x508px) Image search: [Google]
hardiman.jpg
71KB, 630x508px
>>13527179
Not the whole thing, no.
>>
>>13527208
Ah I thought that hardiman looked familar.
>>
>>13527208
>/m/ designs Mecha-Hellboy.jpg
I've always got a thing for powered fists, pilebunkers and the like. Still, it would probably lose out to more versatile manipulators.
>>
>>13526665
>>13526731
Fallout is based on 50's science fiction, why the fuck should it be scientifically accurate?
Are you literally autistic, in the non 4chan insult way?
>>
>>13527208
Dallos.
>>
>>13526737
Because we don't have real-life fusion yet, dipshit?
>>
File: p45.jpg (96KB, 457x523px) Image search: [Google]
p45.jpg
96KB, 457x523px
>>13527080
>he thinks mecha aren't already real
>>
>>13527080
Don't worry, I never can here before this, and I'm leaving. Not planning on ever returning. Sayonara, robot fuckers.
>>
>>13527416
Truly a feat of engineering.
>>
>>13527354

Because it's not the 2050s yet
>>
>>13527074

Which is actually kind of like Fallout.

The reason they made Power Armor wasn't so soldiers could jetpack punch things but so they could carry heavy weaponry more easily.
>>
>power armor
>defies physics
What are you even smoking?
Take exoskeleton
Add hydraulic boosters to the joints
Done

The level of tech required is somewhere between the UNIVAC and F-86.
>>
>>13526747
> The least realistic part is the pneumatics
Wrong as hell, that's the easiest way to go about it without artificial muscles. High speed variable pressure valves are the sticking point and that's just a matter of cash.
>>
>>13527074
Or you can just use an APC/truck convoy/transport plane/literally anything else and not tire out at all.

Face it, power armor and mecha aren't happening. If it isn't on treads or wheels, it isn't worth using.
>>
>>13527929
And pray tell, how big are said vehicles? And can you fit one through a doorway in a maintenance hangar, or have several of them working in a small space at once?

There are times when you need to pack more strength into enclosed areas, and vehicles are far too bulky to let you do that easily.
>>
>>13527869
This. The major hurdle in power armor hasn't been mechanical engineering for a long time.
The current stumbling block for walking robotics is software; computer control, stabilization, object recognition, self-pathing, and machine learning. But we've got self-driving cars now and the latter three have been the subject of intense study for quite some time, originally intended for other applications, but very relevant to walking robotics.
The current stumbling block for worn exosuits is consumer safety and power consumption (and ruggedness, if you're talking about military stuff).
>>
File: radioflyer.png (74KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
radioflyer.png
74KB, 310x310px
>>13527929
>just drive your APC up these mountainous switchbacks or this densely-wooded forest
Wheels being so great is probably why we see so many soldiers and civilians hauling supplies in little red wagons instead of on the backs of local animals.
>>
>>13527929
Abject stupidity. Power armor is not only happening, but extremely high priority for the US Military.

Please educate yourself on the realities of a ruck march before spouting your stupitity. They'll be used to fuck and back without even leaving the base to begin with, they want that shit YESTERDAY for general supply lifting.

Keep your ignorance contained please. Go tell any US serviceman that's had to ruckmarch 12 hours to a base in buttfuck nowhere Afghanistan with all of their shit on their backs that exosuits are stupid.
>>
>>13526665
Why do kids want everything to be 100% super realistic nowadays? Have some fun for once!
>>
>>13528118
Because of the desire to see the things in their works of fiction actually appearing in real life where they can be interacted with.

As much fun as unrealistic stuff can be, imagine how much fun it would be if you could actually see them working outside of a movie screen.
>>
>>13528191
No, it's purely because they want to appear mature and enlightened and better than their pleb peers, as if you saying "Silly goose, that isn't actually possible" gives them a carte blanche to be eternally smug.
>>
>>13528191
Damn kids are pathetic nowadays.
>>
>>13526982
Yeah and I'm the sultan of brunei.
>>
>>13526665
Your one of those guys who shit posts about tanks vs mecha aren't you?
>>
>>13528310
>big dog doesn't exist
>that fucking darpa cheetah killbot doesn't exist
Not every mecha is twelve damn meters tall.
>>
File: hal exoskeleton by cyberdyne.jpg (209KB, 1536x1058px) Image search: [Google]
hal exoskeleton by cyberdyne.jpg
209KB, 1536x1058px
>>13528042
I sincerely doubt personal safety will be a major block in the near future, given the shit ton of research and approaches into controlling these things. The HAL system took years of neural mapping and apparently works well enough that they're rented out. It's small/fitting enough that as long as limiters for some rotation angles are in place, I don't see you snapping a leg off easily in one. Power and manufacture price are probably more important right now. Battery life is a constant area of improvement though, there's always some new type on the horizon. Accessibility will be, and in fact already is, the only long term hurdle so start saving.
>>
>>13528333
You're correct, the limiting feature is actual powering the actuators. The various schemes that you can use to control exoskeletons are widely varied, and can go as simple as load cells reading how hard your limbs are pushing, which is very simple to implement but tiring in use. The whole problem with them right now is getting a power plant on them small and light enough to drive actuators that can lift said powerplant. Batteries are still shit-tier and engines are heavy.
>>
>>13526665
>ower armor is a silly fantasy that violates the laws of physics. Fallout is garbage.
>Prove me wrong.
Well >>13528333 showed the HAL suit. But more importantly...
http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbc-news-channel/58115162
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCsDCHO4UKs
The Japanese Government FINALLY officially approved the HAL suit as a medical prosthesis as of last week. Up to now it was only available in limited quantities, but now is being rolled out next month at 20 hospitals. It has finally cleared the red tape and the experimental trials.
>>
>>13527843
>The reason they made Power Armor wasn't so soldiers could jetpack punch things but so they could carry heavy weaponry more easily.
It was pointed out long ago that the average US soldier carries MORE weight, proportionally to body mass, than what is legally allowed on the back of a mule or horse.

The extra equipment weight is actually causing real injuries. And it makes no sense to cause harm to your own soldiers like that. But no one can agree on what current equipment to remove, so the only option now is powersuits.
>>
File: HULC-2-737087.jpg (251KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
HULC-2-737087.jpg
251KB, 1600x1067px
We should make one of this thread
> Take a technology that exist right now, exaggerate its requirement until you can't look straight, argue against developing it

Take the "tank", how the fuck are you supposed to make a mobile fortress that can withstand 1 tons bombs, speed at 120mph across all terrain and punch hole into mountain ? It's the fantasy of an all-in-one magic weapon all over again.

If you had the technology to build one it would better be used to improve infantry, artillery cannon and the truck used to move every weapon and supply.
There's no point in moving a cannon every time you want to shoot, infantry can already tell you the enemy position and your fragile cannon would get destroyed as soon as you get in range. Assuming we won't bomb it with a zeppelin because it can't have anti-air cannon.
With the overcomplicated track-drive (which can break with one explosion) it would need it couldn't go faster than supply truck, so you would have to carry it on a supply truck anyway ! How is that an improvement ?
Worse : it's supposed to go where no truck can, but would require constant repair every km, how would you supply the parts ?

And let's not get started on seeing what you shoot, a bunker have dozens of operators and observers to see all around and tel it where to shot, a "tank" would have to make hole in its armor to see outside, "shoot at my crews" holes ! All you would have to do to disable one is send an infantrymen behind it with a crowbar to fuck its "track" and throw a grenade in its hole.

Tank is a silly fantasy that violates the laws of physics.
>>
File: 1446507262574.jpg (861KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1446507262574.jpg
861KB, 1000x800px
>>13531237
>>
>>13527929
>APC/truck convoy/transport plane/literally anything else and not tire out at all.
Mountainous terrain says hi motherfucker how the fuck you going to get anything with wheels into that?
MECHA SUIT ALL THE WAY ASSHOLE!
>>
>>13527109
Remember that on a science fiction/fantasy setting, not everything needs to be practical or feasible. That's the point. It's fiction, something that maybe could possibly happen but not likely.
You're on a board for giant robots.
>>
>>13526665
There is no particular reason we won't achieve the prerequisite energy density in batteries to make the things feasible.
Shit, we're making electric cars now that just would not be possible with the battery tech of 10 years ago. Five years ago, even.
>>
>>13526665

>ITS NOT POSSIBLE WITH MY LIMITED KNOWLEDGE OF SCIENCE, THEREFORE IT NEVER SHALL
>>
File: DSC00470.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00470.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
>>13531569
>how the fuck you going to get anything with wheels into that?
Luckily that problem has already been solved by a charming young gentleman named Leonardo DaVinci
>>
>>13526665
Your knowledge of the matter is limited to a level beneath the requirements of making such a judgement.

Fallout 3 and 4 are indeed garbage.

Next argument.
>>
>>13527046
What, you mean... unmanned power armor?

Oh wait, that's robots, haha. Oops.
>>
File: sam.jpg (79KB, 626x450px) Image search: [Google]
sam.jpg
79KB, 626x450px
>>13531617
Oh you so clever, by the way rag head's friend named SAM says hi. And you go boom!
>>
To be fair Power Armor on Power Armor might not really be that effective.

The main reason it worked in Alaska was because the US had it and the Chinese didn't. The closest they had were those stealth suits.

US armor soldiers were able to march into Chinese occupied cities laugh off the Chinese arms fire and indentify the Chinese from captured Americans and shoot them, causing less collateral damage than just leveling the whole town.

When the Chinese sent out their tanks the Power Armor troops carried vehicle weaponry in hand and was able to fight tank weapons with tank weapons while having the mobility of a guy on foot in close quarters.

Even in the Wasteland its an advantage because most wasters don't have it. When the Enclave fought the BoS they were winning because their Power Armor was superior.
>>
>>13526731
we have ATG small reactors that do nuclear decay and create heat like crazy, which is converted to power to feed robots (Curiosity on Mars). It's not very powerful though.
>>
>>13534428

Thermoelectric generators are a no-go in atmosphere unless you're talking arctic research facilities.

Anywhere else and it's a waste of fissionables (and dangerous).
>>
I disagree about the power armor thing but fallout is pretty shitty
>>
>>13526982
>>13526988
Aren't Scopedogs only like 4-5 meters tall?
They seem like they'd be plausible.
>>
>>13539281
at the speeds they move not plausible.
>>
>>13539281
It's more like 3-4 meters tall.
>>
>>13526731
>Tony Stark built this in a cave! With a box of scraps!
>>
File: Armed Armor.png (1MB, 1280x528px) Image search: [Google]
Armed Armor.png
1MB, 1280x528px
>>13539405
>>13539326
>>13539281
>>13533796

...might be cool.
>>
>>13526665
If you're gonna nitpick something to call Fallout garbage at least pick something that feels horribly out of place from the game's universe like all the incredibly whacky shit you find in 2. The power armor fits well with the Mad Max and 50s scifi aesthetic the series was going for.
>>
>>13526747
How exactly is it "doable"? Where are you storing the fuel? What sort of reactor are you using? How are you initiating the reaction and how are you maintaining it? How are you disposing the spent fuel? Most importantly, how are you converting the thermal energy of the fusion chain into electricity? It's not like you can fit a steam generator into a power armor or a mobile suit, so you need some sort of direct energy converter that doesn't exist yet. But even still, you'd need massive batteries just to hold enough energy in order to start the reaction. If that's the case then why wouldn't you just ditch the fusion reactor and all its problems and just make the thing battery powered?

It just doesn't make sense to try and use fusion as any kind of small scale generator, it would only be useful generating power on a large scale as a power plant.
>>
>>13528091
>Go tell any US serviceman that's had to ruckmarch 12 hours to a base in buttfuck nowhere Afghanistan with all of their shit on their backs that exosuits are stupid.
That's not how power armor is going to be used, at least not for the foreseeable future. Until we invent some hyper-dense battery technology that allows us to drastically reduce the size of batteries then power armor will have to directly connected to a power supply if you want to be able to use it for any reasonable length of time.
>>
>>13534428
What you're talking about is an RTG, a radioisotope thermoelectric generator. It's not a reactor, it essentially takes the thermal energy released from the nuclear decay of a radioactive material (usually an alloy of plutonium-238) generates electricity through the use of thermocouples. It's basically just a box that holds the isotope where the walls are made of an inner and outer semi-conductor. When there's a temperature difference between then the two then it creates an electric current. However, RTGs are extremely energy inefficient, only about 3-7% of the energy gets converted to electricity. You're going to need a hell of a lot of plutonium to power something like a power armor and it'll probably radiate far too much heat to be usable by a person unless you're in the arctic, in space, or on Mars. Not to mention there's the danger of a containment breach. And while you only need about 25nm of aluminum of shielding to block the alpha and beta particles, you're still going to be exposed to a lot of gamma radiation. In the future we'll probably see RTGs be replaced with Sterling Radioisotope Generators which have an energy efficiency of about 25%, but they're never going to be used to power anything operated by humans.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.