[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT /m/ related characters, places, and things you suddenly realized

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 11

File: pero means lick.jpg (65KB, 482x788px) Image search: [Google]
pero means lick.jpg
65KB, 482x788px
ITT /m/ related characters, places, and things you suddenly realized had meaning in their names. Hard mode: No using translator notes from fansubs.
>>
Strike Freedom, perfect name for someone trying to impose his will.
>>
Everyone in Diebuster other than Nono and Lal'c are named after watches.

It's a time thing.
>>
>>13525607
It was supposed to be Super Freedom, but then that whole Super Free (aka "Rape Club") thing happened and kinda killed that name.
>>
"Hyakku" means "100" and "shiki" has something to do with death
>>
File: 1446263187917.jpg (63KB, 362x361px) Image search: [Google]
1446263187917.jpg
63KB, 362x361px
I've always thought Marida from Gundam Unicorn was a portmanteau of the name "Marie" and "Darling"
>>
>>13526583
百式 (Type 100 / 100 Series)
>>
Apparently Zaku is onomatopiea for the sound of soldiers marching through the snow.
>>
>>13526628
it's like how Kyo labels his moves in KoF
>>
>>13526630
No. It's a deformation of 雑魚/zako which basically means "shitty grunt".
>>
File: 1.jpg (25KB, 661x372px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
25KB, 661x372px
"core" means "this".
"are" means "that".
>>
>>13526583
The kanji for white can be read as shiro, haku or byaku
>>
File: 2z1D7ZO.jpg (696KB, 1711x2420px) Image search: [Google]
2z1D7ZO.jpg
696KB, 1711x2420px
All the VVV units' names are related to fire.
>>
>>13526740
Their names also had some per unit relevance to them as well as I recall.

Up until Hiasobi, I think.
>>
>>13526765
>playing with fire
Makes absolutely perfect sense for something that takes over enemy controls.
I still can't for the life of my pick a good way to translate Hiuchiba.
Fire shooting wings?
>>
>>13526765
Oh wait now I remember, hiasobi had the flowery meaning of "playing with fire" or some shit opposite the likes of more immediately obvious names like fire man (Hito / HKB engulfing it in fiery energies) and wheel of fire (Hinowa / the wireless yoyo weapons it wields)
>>
>>13526766
Yeah I was probably thinking of Hiuchiba.

But past that one they're all quite witty names.
>>
File: Beargguy_III_-_Front.png (141KB, 396x577px) Image search: [Google]
Beargguy_III_-_Front.png
141KB, 396x577px
Beargguy III, AKA Mr Beargguy.
3 In Japanese is 'San'.
Beargguy-san is literally Mr Beargguy and Beargguy III at the same time.

I feel like an idiot.
>>
File: beargguymothafocka.png (158KB, 498x368px) Image search: [Google]
beargguymothafocka.png
158KB, 498x368px
>>13525580
Perolina!
>>13526776
Don't be!
>>
File: Five-Kamen-Riders.jpg (56KB, 640x300px) Image search: [Google]
Five-Kamen-Riders.jpg
56KB, 640x300px
It's said that THE NUMBER THEORY ended with Fourze since Kamen Rider Wizard didn't have a clear, numbered motif nor a "5" in his name.

However, could it be that another series was meant to continue the number theory?

This series would be the super sentai entry of the same year, Go!-Busters. You can already see the references to the number theory. There are FIVE rangers(riders) and they have five ("Go!") in the title.

You can also see many Kamen Rider influences in this Super Sentai entry. Red buster uses his bike more often than actual KRs. Yellow Buster does a rider kick. Golden Beetle and Silver Stag have bug motifs. There is an evil rider (ranger) counterpart. The heroes have that typical dark hero backstory like most KRs. That backstory we're talking about also fits the style of Foundation X, the mysterious organization present throughout the previous Neo-Heisei shows.

Here's another interesting observation. Go!-busters feature concurrent mecha and ground fights. Why did Toei feel the need to insert this random gimmick? Could it be that this format was done out of necessity? Perhaps the mecha portion was tacked-on at the last minute to make it a proper Super Sentai? Is that why all the giant enemy zords are slightly modified versions of one base costume, in order to meet this last-minute addition in time?

This raises more questions. Why did Toei change Go!-Riders into Go!-Busters? Did Saban skip Go!-busters because it was actually a Kamen Rider entry? Was it the work of ancient aliens or was it stuff they don't want you to know?
>>
File: tsukasa-no-camera.jpg (73KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tsukasa-no-camera.jpg
73KB, 500x500px
>>13526838
This guy right here is a madman. Don't believe his lies.
>>
Rei means zero, lovely, spirit, ghost, elegance.

Uso is probably Char and Nanai's illegitimate grandson (noticed after re watching CCA).

If digimon is /m/ then realizing Hikari means light, and being so happy the dubbers didn't rename her Svetlana, after seeing the name changes in the English dub (that i downloaded by mistake).

Logh alliance ships all have symbolic names, and a lot of them are from various mythologies (Greek and Slavic in particular). Also, the guy captain of Perun has a Russian surname.
>>
>>13526838
go-onger/goseiger/go-kaiger/gobusters, all had the go prefix. it could be argued that toei-bandai ended the practice after the commercial failure of gobusters.
>>
>>13526859
>>Uso is probably Char and Nanai's illegitimate grandson (noticed after re watching CCA).
I'm fairly certain that theory was disproved.
>>
>>13526838
Honestly I think the number thing petered out because the gimmick was unsustainable. You had two, you had three, you even had a 4 that tied to 40th anniversary, but how the hell are you going to work 6, 7, 8, or 9-part riders?

That said, it is interesting that Wizard's thing was a hand (with five fingers), Gaim has six segments in his visor and six rivets on each pec, and then Drive has a tire across his chest that makes a 7 with his shoulders, in addition to seatbelt motifs (when your typical seatbelt is an inverted 7 in shape). Course then you have Ghost, with all his paired circles and curves. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a clever ploy on their part, but it's either an odd coincidence, or it's being carried on cheekily in minor details. If the next rider comes out and features a magatama somewhere, that's gonna be downright eerie.
>>
File: KRGa-Himawari_Lockseed_open.png (93KB, 210x332px) Image search: [Google]
KRGa-Himawari_Lockseed_open.png
93KB, 210x332px
>>13526997
The open lock also resembles a six. But it could also be the base ideas for these things were set up at the start, and while the number motif fell off by the time they made the shows, the original plan lingers in those core ideas.
>>
The generals in Gaiking LoDM were named after the four cardinal directions.
>>
>>13527097
That's something most people end up not noticing because TV-N gave us the most widespread romanizations and of course they completely missed that.
>>
V3 - victory
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.