[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best "Eva-ish/Fafner-ish" shows that /m/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: 1431938773780.jpg (359KB, 1280x924px) Image search: [Google]
1431938773780.jpg
359KB, 1280x924px
What are the best "Eva-ish/Fafner-ish" shows that /m/ likes?

I know /m/ loves the shit out of Fafner and Eva is huge, but I never see anyone talk about the other shows except a few things (like calling brain powerd shit to troll Tomino, or Rahx =
Raideen).
>>
>>13521744
Argento Soma
Betterman
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure
>>
rahxephon
>>
I want more of a discussion than just naming things (not an /r/ thread).
>>
what if shinji was a qt girl
>>
>>13521744
Seriously?
Isn't I FUCKED YOU'RE MOM the first thing that comes to your mind when it comes to "discussion" about Brain Powerd?
>>
File: 1447902222828.gif (141KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
1447902222828.gif
141KB, 500x380px
>>13521762
You'll get this instead
>>
>>13521763
would fug
>>
>>13521744
Eureka 7 is the first one that comes to mind to me, I'm surprised it's not mentioned in this thread.

Another that's not /m/ but has a lot of ties to Evangelion is Serial Experiments Lain
>>
>>13521744
Rahxephon

Eureka 7 AO

Baldr Saga

Idolm@ster Xenoglossia, seriously

Nadia: Secret Blue Water
>>
>>13521744
>I know /m/ loves the shit out of Fafner
I'd hardly call some 100 or so people '/m/'

M3 gave off a pretty strong EVA vibe to me.
>>
>>13521744
The reason people don't discuss stuff like Dual! or RahXephon is because they're just Evangelion played straight, there's not much to talk about because they're well explained. Evangelion just comes out of the left field and mind fucks you the first time so you're left wondering what happened after you watch it.

Fafner wasn't even that highly discussed on /m/ till exodus was announced because it was "just an EVA clone". I think most people agree that Exodus is a lot better though because it's got people asking the question "what the fuck is going on" after each episode.

So here's some /m/ shows that actually surprised me and made me think:
Gunbuster
The Big O
Code Geass
>>
>>13521773
Nobody on /m/ has actually seen Brain Powerd because you have to be a Newtype to understand and enjoy it.
>>
File: Nadia shinji.jpg (108KB, 500x582px) Image search: [Google]
Nadia shinji.jpg
108KB, 500x582px
>>13521763
He would be Nadia

>>13521744
Neo Ranga is a pretty character driven and thought provoking show as well. Although it gets a bit too deep and experimental towards the end.
>>
>>13521902
Is it happy Tomino?
>>
>>13521763
>what if
Wait, he's not?
>>
>>13521878
100 or so people is as big as /m/ gets. Most of our threads barely have 20 posters
>>
>>13522124
Most Fafner threads hover around 60 really.

Also, a lot of people almost exclusively focus on Gundam.

Also, going by the gunpla threads alone which are usually at least 100 posters, then /m/ is a lot more than that because I know there are at least 100 people that have never touched plamo.
>>
>>13521744
>"Eva-ish/Fafner-ish" shows
Do you mean shows about giant robots fighting aliens? Then one of my favorites is Gunbuster.
>>
>>13522679
I think he means more like "giant robots" that are in fact powered by or are the aliens that are being fought.
>>
Well there's Guilty Crown, but I have to warn you the writing is kinda not good with that show.

It puts up a good showing in a lot of other areas, but boy did it feel like too many writers were competing for control of the story.
>>
>>13521744

Hmmm. Out of the shows that I have seen that fit that basic mold...

You already know Eva and Fafner, so no further explanation needed there.

Aquarion is in the same genre, but is much more silly and honestly more than a little dumb. Gattai as an analog for sex is cute, but sort of gets old after a while and they never really found a way to make use of the reincarnation aspect that really felt like it worked. I can see why some people would have liked the show, but it honestly never gelled for me. Did not watch past the first show.

Eureka Seven follows the Eva model pretty well, to the point that I could easily spend a couple posts drawing the parallels in setting and setup. However, its much more a romance show that happens to have mecha in it than anything else. E7 itself is very good, with a bullshit ending that nevertheless really brings the whole show together and gives it its reputation. E7:AO actually follows the Eva setup even more closely by having a functional Nerv-standin, but turned out to be absolute garbage because the writing was unforgivably bad.

Captain Earth is a hard one to recommend, because it did a lot of things right. I loved the setup and the characters and the conspiracy war they had where neither side was evil, they just had mutually exclusive plans to save the human race based on how likely they though defeating the aliens actually was. Unfortunately, the show absofuckinglutely drops the ball on the aliens themselves. Their introduction is given a third of the show, but then they forget to give them any development and the way the ending plays out they get sidelined in their own show to the point that the aliens simply do not matter to the plot beyond being a justification for everything else to be happening. So its a fun and pretty show, but the primary conflict ends up a wet fart that makes the rest of the show smell really bad, which is a shame because even a halfway competent writer could have fixed this script.
>>
>>13522715
>boy did it feel like too many writers were competing for control of the story
This is exactly what happened pretty much.
>>13522729
>hard one to recommend, because it did a lot of things right
?
>>
File: No.jpg (52KB, 470x307px) Image search: [Google]
No.jpg
52KB, 470x307px
>>13521900
>Rahxephon
>Well explained
>>
>>13522729
How are Aquarion and Captain Earth in any way similar to Eva or Fafner?
>>
>>13521744
>>13521754
dual is the bestest
>>
File: 1394829758954.gif (685KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1394829758954.gif
685KB, 500x281px
>>13521859
>Eureka 7 AO
>>
>>13523007

There are all shows where a limited number, but more than one, team of robots are deployed from a facility controlled by a militaristic or semi-militaristic logistical organization who builds, supplies and maintains the machines as well as recruits the pilots. These robots are used to fight otherworldly alien threats with mysterious powers and goals in between focusing on the trials and relationships of the members of the organization, including but not limited to the pilots.

Some have organic mech, some have magic mecha, some have normal ass mecha. Some focus on mystery and mindscrew, others have their own gimmicks. But they all have a lot in common in terms of their setup.
>>
>>13523381
So superficial similarities that many /m/ shows have then. Lovely.
>>
>>13523396

What links Eva and Fafnir that doesn't apply to Aquarion?
>>
>>13523409
>Fafnir and EVA
Not much, though I supppose it could be argued that EVA is mildly a harem.
Also Fafnir isn't /m/
>>
>>13523736
>Fafnir isn't /m/
what
>>
>>13523748
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=16302
>>
Maybe MJP to some extent?
>>
>>13526159
Not really. The villains aren't ambiguous or nebulous at all, their intents are clear enough (rape, rape, and occasionally kill/conquer). The whole show is more straightforward than everything else in this thread. Though I will grant you that the Rabbits are child soldiers.
>>
>>
File: shinji totally hetero 2.png (761KB, 992x738px) Image search: [Google]
shinji totally hetero 2.png
761KB, 992x738px
>>13521744
Bokurano is a good eva style show if you liked eva for the nonstop suffering arc, episodes 18-24
Watch the show for the rad OP, get disappointed by the anime original end, then read the manga
>>
>>13521744
When i think of 'Eva-ish' shows nowadays, it's always about inside some sorta command room where people talk about the dangers they faced and speaks show-exclusive jargons.

Cause there's a lot of shows like that.
>>
>>13526664
>Eva
>Nonstop suffering
Shinji is a fucking lightweight. He's nowhere close to the true king of pain.
>>
>>13526626
I was sorta looking at the biomech aspect, mechs are explicitly linked to their pilots, and then Red 5's Adam moment toward the end the finale.
Not necessarily thematically though.
Also, Majestic Gendo
>>
>>13521744
Dual! Parallel trouble adventures is an Eva parody harem show that turns into a super robot show.
>>
I'd argue Aquarion Genesis had Eva vibes.
>>
FLCL?
>>
>>13521923
It's healing Tomino
>>
>>13522693
So....Gunbuster.
>>
File: 37b1afc8.jpg (20KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
37b1afc8.jpg
20KB, 200x300px
>>13521763

The best girl wars would be over.
>>
>>13521902
Exactly, people didn't watch it, just parrot the Yuu's mom thing.
I watched and enjoyed it.
Not sure why.
>>
>>13527017
Except Gunbuster is not an alien?
>>
>>13522997
It is, tho. Watch that shit twice in a row and there are very, very few parts that aren't explained within the show itself.

One of the reasons I like it is that it doesn't rely on light novels and audio dramas to cover basic mysteries in a genre that's usually opaque just to be opaque.

Not the guy you replied to, either.
>>
>>13527017
Buster machines aren't powered by ayy lmaos, unless maybe I missed something?
>>
>>13521744
It's been said a couple times, but Dual! PTA is pretty fun. Starts out as random silly harem antics a la Tenchi Muyo with giant robots (it's by the same people and is supposedly a part of the Tenchi multiverse, so...), then suddenly the MC gets kidnapped by the other side and it becomes "Everything is going fucking crazy, featuring Turn Granzon".

Not the best show out there and some people don't like it, but it's generally well received by the people who have seen it. Also, FUCKING GOD TIER OPENING.
>>
>>13527143
I could have swore that when The main charecter is in a mock battle in space and is lead into an off limits chapter, they both see a huge tube filled with a mostly destroyed enemy alien.
I always took it as they were studying them and using what they found to reverse engineer Gunbuster, the machine they were testing pilots for on the same station.
>>
>>13533102
That did happen, and it's possible, but it's never stated.
>>
>>13533232

Though, when the Gunbuster gets damaged later, is does seem oddly full of tubes and leaking strange purple fluids. Its not outright stated that its based on space monster science, but it certainly seems likely.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.