[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This movie gets brought up on here a lot, but what was the general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 15

File: gothicmade.jpg (716KB, 723x1024px) Image search: [Google]
gothicmade.jpg
716KB, 723x1024px
This movie gets brought up on here a lot, but what was the general consensus of Gothicmade from people who've seen it, Japanese or not? Do reviews for it even exist?
>>
>>13473666

No one's actually scene it. The only people who get to watch it are Nagano and his pets
>>
>>13473668
I know the whole "no one's ever seen Gothicmade" meme is a thing, but I'm sure that at least a handful of people have seen Gothicmade.
>>
>>13475077
>limited theatrical release in Nipland
>like one theater for a week
>no dvd/BD
aint no meme bro
>>
>>13475104
So it wasn't released normally in theaters? What the fuck was Nagano thinking?
>>
>>13475213
Nagano is like the Tommy Wiseau of japan
>>
>>13475213
>So it wasn't released normally in theaters?

It was the equivalent of an IMAX film in Japan since it was released in 4K with Dolby Atmos sound, so it could only be shown in select theaters that have that kind of display option. This also meant that ticket prices were a fair bit higher than your average Japanese movie and it didn't help that it came out the same month as Eva 3.0 in Japan. And with a puny runtime of only 70 minutes, it wasn't exactly a "bang for your buck" deal for most Japanese audiences.
>>
Like five people in the entire world have actually seen it. It will never be released on BD or seen in theaters again because Nagano insists on claiming that it's his magnum opus and each person who sees it devalues its artistic brilliance.
>>
>>13475258
>Like five people in the entire world have actually seen it. It will never be released on BD or seen in theaters again
Hyperbole much? It was just released again in theaters two months ago.

It won't be entirely inaccurate to say that no more than, say, ten thousand people have seen it. And you can guess almost all of them are Japanese.
>>
Years ago someone here saw it and posted about it. He said it was bad.
>>
>>13475308
I remember he also said he really liked Eva 3.0, which he saw at the same time, so I don't know how valid his opinion is.
>>
The only thing I know about this is that Oh!Great did the character designs, what's imo a pretty rare thing for a /m/ show.
>>
>>13475224
>"YOU'RE TEARING ME APART TOMINO"
>>
File: nagano1.jpg (67KB, 615x800px) Image search: [Google]
nagano1.jpg
67KB, 615x800px
>>13475224
Damn, he really does look like him doesn't he.
>>
>>13475372
>Plebeian anon does not like best rebuild movie
>>
>>13473666
Otaking (aka Toshio Okada, the ex-Gainax president, not our resident /m/an) saw it and really liked it. He's the only somewhat big person in the anime industry who's even said anything about it to my knowledge.

https://www.face[remove this]book.com/frex.otaking/posts/528653917164556
>>
>>13475390
>"i did naht ruined it, it's bullshit, i did naht ruined it, I DID NAAAAAHT. oh hai Anno"
>>
File: WEG Gothicmade.jpg (207KB, 1100x500px) Image search: [Google]
WEG Gothicmade.jpg
207KB, 1100x500px
>>
>>13475449
>Otaking liked it

So its complete shit
>>
>>13475449
If our Otaking saw it all he would be bitching about is why there aren't 500 shades of shading.
>>
>>13475449
Isn't he the guy who said G-Reco was shit?
>>
>>13475487
Yes.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-10-22/toshio-okada-rips-apart-gundam-reconguista/.80151
>>
>>13475507
I guess he likes A/Z then.
>>
>>13475077
Plenty of people watched it and there are dozens of reviews about it:

http://movies.yahoo.co.jp/movie/342768/review/
>>
>>13475487
>>13475507
>>13475527
To be fair, there were only like 3 or so episodes of G-Reco aired when he said that, and at the time it was rather mediocre. The later episodes were definitely an improvement.
>>
>>13475565
>and at the time it was rather mediocre.
Only if you were retarded
>>
>>13475542
So from what Google Translate tells me, people's biggest complaints were:

>not enough robot action
>ending is a giant cocktease for FSS

I expected lots of complaints about the bad animation, but surprisingly I couldn't find anyone there who said that. Maybe it looks better in theaters than the trailers?
>>
>>13475614
Nips have high tolerance for slideshows
>>
>>13475614
Oh, and lots of whining from FSS fans for Nagano choosing to make this movie instead of continuing to write the manga.
>>
>>13475624
Not even that. The trailers make the movie look like it's missing a ton of in-between frames for each motion.
>>
File: nagano-ikuni-cosplay.jpg (37KB, 318x706px) Image search: [Google]
nagano-ikuni-cosplay.jpg
37KB, 318x706px
>>13475390
>Tomino
>Not Ikuhara

Co-starring Anno as Mark.
>>
>>13476572
So, who's Danny?
>>
>>13475390
Anyway, how's your Pure Time?
>>
File: FSSMJ.jpg (271KB, 742x1200px) Image search: [Google]
FSSMJ.jpg
271KB, 742x1200px
>>
>>13476644
Kekekekks.

Poor Micheal ;_;
>>
>>13475542
67 reviews isn't what I would call "plenty".
>>
>>13475308
There was at least 3 /m/-anons at the time who have watched it; one of them I think was one of the ML-anons.

The general consensus between them was that it was universally bad.

They did mention it was mostly talk, and the few action scenes were pretty bad; mostly static stills that just appear and disappear; supposedly because GTMs can move hyper-fast. But it came out looking worse than the Brains from Brain Powered with their teleportation-attack gimmick you see in GBA SRW games.
>>
>>13481813

sounds a lot like the old FSS anime.
>>
>>13473666
I have seen one Japanese review recently. Didn't read it past the headline: "What a beautiful anime" (it resembles a heroine saying "What a beautiful robot!@ in the trailer. Just google for "なんて美しいアニメ".

By the way, the music is on Amazon.

Just wait until Nagano dies from a heart failure or cancer or an earthquake like any other Japanese people do.

>>13475388
Ito Ogure is /m/, so no wonder. His ongoing manga is something like Eatman on LSD, shame nobody is translating it fast enough.

>>13475449
We all know that Otaking likes poop. Don't believe this weird man, also don't trust him.
>>
>>13481882
>an earthquake
his assistants take over and draw spindly robots and HORSECOCK
>>
File: The smile that wasn't protected.jpg (337KB, 718x1050px) Image search: [Google]
The smile that wasn't protected.jpg
337KB, 718x1050px
>>13481900
Still waiting for Kon's assistants to finish his last work.
>>
>>13481813
>They did mention it was mostly talk, and the few action scenes were pretty bad; mostly static stills that just appear and disappear; supposedly because GTMs can move hyper-fast. But it came out looking worse than the Brains from Brain Powered with their teleportation-attack gimmick you see in GBA SRW games.

Really? This interview says the complete opposite when it comes to the mecha animation. They share the same opinion regarding the stiff character motion though.

http://otakuusamagazine.com/Anime/News1/-Review-Mamoru-Naganos-Gothicmade-4836.aspx

Japanese reviews are also weird as fuck in how polar they are. It's either love or hate. I've heard rumors that some theaters were screening it in 2K instead of 4k which ended up making the animation look really stiff, but I have no official source. Nagano also said in an interview with Eureka that the movie was drawn with 20 times the framerate of your average TV anime. The whole situation reminds me of the recent Hobbit movies, which had such a high FPS that it made them look like cheap soap operas with puppets. Still, if Nagano can't even get the movie to work in theaters properly, what chance do they even have of making it work on BD? It would explain why it isn't out on Blu-Ray yet.
>>
>>13475246
This is plain wrong, I watched it in the shitty tiny basement theatre of Ikebukuro Sunshine Cinema.

But yeah the movie was garbage.
>>
>>13482839
The mecha animation was terrible.

The battles were stills appearing and reappearing because Dragonball speeds, the close-ups were individual parts of the mecha being animated seperately like a badly-done Flash animation, and speaking of Flash animations there were some hilarious moments like a group of GTMs in waverider form flying in formation where they're clearly the same static picture copypasted and being dragged across the screen.

It was bad.
>>
>>13482839
>I've heard rumors that some theaters were screening it in 2K instead of 4k which ended up making the animation look really stiff,
I've no idea which Sunshine is but the framerate seemed fine, it's what made the waverider scene so bad (copypasted airplanes moving across the screen like in a flash animation, at maximum FPS!)

>inb4 people demand I present proof that I watched this movie years ago

I actually think I had some of the limited FSS merch they were selling at the cinema in my desk drawer, I could go try to dig it up
>>
>>13485643
We just can't believe how awful everything about Gothicmade is.
>>
>>13485666

And Nagano considers it his magnum opus and a priceless piece of art that has no equal.
>>
Does anyone know his reason for the redesgin?
Was he just tried of the old ones?
Didn't he piss off the model makers by doing this
>>
>>13485640
Do you recall what the sound and start up sequence of the GTM were like? Even the most negative reviews were praising this bit.
>>
>>13482839
Yeah, this review by some guy on Neogaf who saw it says the same thing as that review. Apparently he really liked the mecha animation?

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=47507333&postcount=14840

At this point I don't know who to believe.
>>
>>13485893
>At this point I don't know who to believe

Normally what I would say is stop being a faggot and go watch it yourself and decide it yourself, but Nagano has made that impossible.

On a side note, 2016 is the 30th anniversary of FSS, so there might be some special things going on.
>>
>>13485893
For such a massive discrepancy in opinion regarding animation quality to happen is what makes this movie so strange. I don't think I've ever seen this happen before. Usually people would disagree with each other when it comes to plot, but from reviews so far that seems pretty consistent.
>>
>>13485998
>>13485893
Uh...faggots there's a high chance that the Neogaf post is from a novice that doesn't know what he's talking about. There's people that think Iron Blood Orphans is well-animated and that G-Reco is poorly animated.
>>
>>13486006
And what makes the /m/ anon's opinion any better? We don't even know who he is other than some guy who knows moon.
>>
>>13486030
Because /m/ is the best judge when it comes to mecha animation. 2D is best, shading is even better! Fuck CGI! Nothing can beat the 80s!
>>
>>13486040
Said no one ever.
>>
>>13486049
Read the Origin threads.
>>
>>13486049
Is this your first day on /m/?
>>
>>13486006
>There's people that think Iron Blood Orphans is well-animated and that G-Reco is poorly animated

But there are people here who believe the same thing.
>>
>>13486091
Don't listen to shitposters.
>>
>>13486098
>If someone doesn't agree with me they're a shitposter

This is the mentality that is killing this board.
>>
>>13485840
Been years, don't recall it being anything special.

(In other words the animation was just that "special")
>>
>>13486006
There's also some retards here who think G-Reco has better animation than Unicorn, so I highly doubt /m/ is any more trustworthy than some hug box forum.
>>
>>13488413
G-Reco's animation was the only thing it had going for it, and even that wasn't super spectacular.
>>
>>13485792
Yeah, I don't get that. The FSS robots look way better.
>>
>>13488462
Here's your reply
>>
>>13488413
>There's also some retards here who think G-Reco has better animation than Unicorn,
They share the same staff dumbass
>>
My question is: Is FSS completely done for now that this shit is around?
>>
>>13490322
>My question is: Is FSS completely done for now that this shit is around?
www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-11-11/five-star-stories-manga-to-resume-in-february/.95259
>>
>>13490314
So? One is a weekly show, the other is a bi-annual theatrical OVA. There's a huge difference in animation quality.
>>
>>13490801
>the other is a bi-annual theatrical OVA
You do realize Unicorn had stock footage and CG that looked worse than TV offerings right?
>>
>>13482839
>drawn with 20 times the framerate of your average TV anime
So 240fps? Or at least 80fps? The man is high on drugs or you fell for a mistranslation or a journalist messing with numbers.
>>
>>13490859
>stock footage and CG

So you're asspained because the animators didn't take the time to draw all of the Unicorn's psychoframe unfolding via hand-drawn means? Cause that's literally the only time CGI is ever prominently used in Unicorn, and drawing it by hand is damn near impossible. Nothing in G-Reco was as complex design-wise as the Unicorn.

Meanwhile, G-Reco, like any other TV show, is filled with cheap shit like sliding images, "action lines", and still frames.
>>
>>13473666
Didn't this bomb horribly and got a shit-ton of negative reviews?
>>
>>13490983
>So you're asspained because the animators didn't take the time to draw all of the Unicorn's psychoframe unfolding via hand-drawn means?
Nope I just think its hilarious that you're going on Unicorn being a theatrical OVA when it had the exact same problem as a regular TV anime production wise.
>Cause that's literally the only time CGI is ever prominently used in Unicorn
Nope, there's CG in other places as well.
>Nothing in G-Reco was as complex design-wise as the Unicorn
>Unicorn
>complex design

Oh....you're just an idiot.

>Meanwhile, G-Reco, like any other TV show, is filled with cheap shit like sliding images, "action lines", and still frames.

Go to see you didn't watch
>>
>>13492772
Not him, but a shiny lightshow doesn't equate to good animation.
>>
>>13492833
>lightshow
Are you retarded
>>
>>13492836
That's what it is retard. There's nothing that stands out movement-wise like Unicorn. There's no sense of weight to the MS.

You're a blind retard whose easily pleased by shit like UBW.
>>
>>13473666

I love Nagano, so I still want to see it, in an "auteur theory" kind of way, even if it sucks...
>>
File: AnswerMeBanagher.webm (3MB, 640x357px) Image search: [Google]
AnswerMeBanagher.webm
3MB, 640x357px
>>13493445
>There's nothing that stands out movement-wise like Unicorn. There's no sense of weight to the MS.

So its exactly like Unicorn
>>
>>13493550
>Using Newtype h4x climax moment to categorize all of Unicorn's animation

You're even more retarded than I expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3jNep1Ywc8
>>
File: iknowkungfu.webm (3MB, 711x400px) Image search: [Google]
iknowkungfu.webm
3MB, 711x400px
>>13493572
But that's all its animation
>>
>>13493589
There's more weight and dynamicism to that scene than literally any of your beamspam sessions from G-Reco.
>>
>>13493550
The AMBAC's just really good, I guess.
goddamnit why did they spend a year+ on fucking music and hair physics instead of robot animation and shading
>>
>>13493602
Not even close.
>>
File: ff-7.png (52KB, 600x333px) Image search: [Google]
ff-7.png
52KB, 600x333px
>>13493673
>shading

How much more do you need Otaking?
>>
>>13493691
Nice rebuttal.
>>
>>13493700
There's only TWO tones there.
Unicorn is truly trash.
>>
>>13493457
Yeah, even if it sucks, I'm still amazed that Nagano managed to get the funds for it and work on it almost entirely by himself. He's a crazy ambitious motherfucker who doesn't give a shit about making a name for himself or making any money, he just worked on this because it was his passion project. Quite frankly I wish there were more people who had his boldness in the anime industry.
>>
File: the-saviour-of-animu.jpg (29KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
the-saviour-of-animu.jpg
29KB, 225x350px
>>13496560
>Quite frankly I wish there were more people who had his boldness in the anime industry.

Here's your answer.
>>
>>13496642
Yelling about how they're going to change the anime industry and end up doing nothing new, while unintentionally permanently destroying their reputation, isn't exactly what I would call "bold".
>>
>>13492772
This webm has action lines, shining which is nothing special and a bit of proper animation.
>>
>>13482839
>I've heard rumors that some theaters were screening it in 2K instead of 4k which ended up making the animation look really stiff, but I have no official source

That's literally an impossibility. The resolution in which something is played has no effect on the animation.

>Nagano also said in an interview with Eureka that the movie was drawn with 20 times the framerate of your average TV anime

Likely blowing hot air and/or grossly exaggerating. Your average anime is animated on the 3s at 24 FPS. Any higher is fruitless and mechanically worthless. In fact, Blu Ray has only ever planned for 120 FPS, but never yet implemented it.
I'm more leaning to him blowing hot, hot air; however, as the trailers resemble something done on the 2s and 3s. Thief and the Cobbler is done on the 1s and Gothicmade comes nowhere close to that level of fluidity.
>>
>>13482839
These are the same people that claims the live action Attack on Titan movies to be above average flicks.
>>
>>13498924
>This webm has action lines,
Fucking Redline has action lines
>>
File: newtype.jpg (15KB, 263x276px) Image search: [Google]
newtype.jpg
15KB, 263x276px
>>13502284
>Anime about car racing having action lines is somehow surprising
>>
>>13502284
This doesn't make Greeco better than Unicorn.
>>
>>13502284
Redline doesn't have any stills being slid across a screen like G-Reco. Your comparison is as shit as your opinion.
>>
So did he just make a shitty movie but hopes never releasing it will give it a mysterious reputation of being god like? Did he just look at it mid production and saw his budget running low and the quality never near what he imagined so he decided on plan B?
>>
>>13502363
>So did he just make a shitty movie but hopes never releasing it will give it a mysterious reputation of being god like?

Considering it's still being screened in theaters in Japan right now, I highly doubt that's the case. To us gaijins though, that's what it looks like. I'm not familiar enough with 4K to know how well it can be compressed into a BD for animation, but that's apparently the official reason why it's not on BD yet.

I also highly doubt budget was an issue when the production team was like less than 10 people, not counting the VA's. Which is why it was screened around the same time as Eva 3.0, though Kadokawa having stakes in both of these movies probably had a lot to do with it.
>>
>>13502379
There simply hasn't been any animation released on a 4k BD, and considering Nagano's perfectionism I doubt he wants it to be the first attempt and have it go horribly wrong.
>>
>>13502392
>I doubt he wants it to be the first attempt and have it go horribly wrong.

That's exactly what happened to this movie as a whole though. Animation and everything.
>>
>>13502379
> I'm not familiar enough with 4K to know how well it can be compressed into a BD for animation

It's not like you're taking it down to 280p or anything. Bringing it down to 2K levels is easy peasy and quality should be left intact. It would take a monkey to actually fuck such a transfer up.
>>
>>13502410
Japanese reviews say otherwise. It currently has a pretty decent score (around 3 out of 5 stars) on Yahoo movies and Toho's own website. Of course, we don't know since there's been very few reviews of the movie in English, and the ones that are available have differing opinions.

Whatever the case, there is no universally terrible opinion of it like Tales of Earthsea.
>>
>>13502450
>Japanese reviews say otherwise.

Japan likes a lot of things, anon.
Like Sword Art Online.
>>
>>13502457
So Japan is retarded for liking Evangelion, which is fifty times more popular than SAO?
>>
>>13502457
>Japan likes a lot of things, anon.

And /m/ doesn't like anything. We know, anon.
>>
>>13502450
>Whatever the case, there is no universally terrible opinion of it like Tales of Earthsea.

I thought that was because everyone's expectations of it were high since it was a Ghibli epic, but failed to deliver on the same level as a Miyazaki movie.
>>
>>13502483
Earthsea was a terrible movie by any standard, not just Ghibli. The art was dull, the story was retarded, the characters are downright detestable, and the animation was merely average. It was an uninspired copy of one of Miyazaki's own movies. And that's why people hated it, though being made by Miyazaki's son added a lot of salt to that wound.
>>
>>13502463
Japan is retarded for a lot of things.
>>
>>13502513
True. But /m/'s opinions aren't any better than theirs. Go outside of /m/ and you will find very few people who appreciate or even know of MD Geist. Because it is actually pretty bad. Though it's one of my favorite OVAs.
>>
File: 1394581592016.gif (3MB, 434x233px) Image search: [Google]
1394581592016.gif
3MB, 434x233px
>>13502304
>Anime about fighting robots having action lines is somehow surprising
>>
>>13502321
>Redline doesn't have any stills
Confirm for not watching Redline
>>
>>13502646
Shading =/= action lines.

>>13502650
If it did, it certainly wasn't nearly as notable in those as G-Reco, cause I certainly don't remember there being any.
>>
>>13502659
You're fucking blind
>>
>>13502659
>If it did, it certainly wasn't nearly as notable in those as G-Reco
Considering they're retards like you who think Redline had no CG I'm not surprised.
>>
>>13502672
>Considering they're retards like you who think Redline had no CG I'm not surprised.

The only thing in Redline that I remember being in CG was the airship. In G-Reco, there was a helluva lot more.

Really, if your argument is that Redline and Unicorn aren't vastly superior in their production values than G-Reco, then you are retarded and delusional beyond argument.
>>
>>13502693
>The only thing in Redline that I remember being in CG was the airship
Found the retard
>>
File: 1394581101205.gif (2MB, 640x351px) Image search: [Google]
1394581101205.gif
2MB, 640x351px
>>13502659
Those are action lines jackass
>>13502693
>The only thing in Redline that I remember being in CG was the airship. In G-Reco, there was a helluva lot more.
Redline had more CG than that and the only usage of GC in G-Reco was the Orbital Tower
>>
File: megafauna-cgi.jpg (135KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
megafauna-cgi.jpg
135KB, 1920x1080px
>>13502715
>Redline had more CG than that and the only usage of GC in G-Reco was the Orbital Tower

It was confirmed in various interviews that the only instance of CGI in Redline was the airship. Why the hell did you think it took them seven years to draw it by hand?

>only usage of GC in G-Reco was the Orbital Tower

Wrong, so very wrong. The space equipment and occasionally the spaceships are done in CGI. All the glowing effects like >>13492772
are also CGI.
>>
>>13502774
>It was confirmed in various interviews that the only instance of CGI in Redline was the airship.
But that's wrong you fucking retard.
>>
>>13502774
>It was confirmed in various interviews that the only instance of CGI in Redline was the airship.
In the fucking behind the scenes featuretee they were using fucking Maya. Stop lying out your ass

>stuff

That's not even CG
>>
>>13502774
>Uses a 2D image to prove something is rendered in CG

Are you retarded? Also Redline has a shit load of those CG effects SINCE IT WAS ANIMATED ON FUCKING MAYA.
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.