[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, how does heat weaponry hold up? It seems effective enough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: ZakZaku.png (92KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
ZakZaku.png
92KB, 259x194px
So, how does heat weaponry hold up? It seems effective enough to cut through a Gundam's armor. So what makes beam sabers so much better?
Would it be a bad idea to have a launcher that shoots Heat spikes at the enemy?
>>
File: Crossbow_HL2.jpg (164KB, 713x437px) Image search: [Google]
Crossbow_HL2.jpg
164KB, 713x437px
>>12478736
>>
>>12478736

isn't that pretty much shot lancers?

Beam weaponry has higher output, can cut trough armor faster and its easier to store.
>>
>>12478736
I'd love a gundam show with more heat weapons.

They just felt so much more visceral than beamsabers.
>>
>>12479103
It was neat to have two sides with different technology levels. But then Zeon finally got beams and that all went away. Heat weapons were cool.
>>
File: zeon_00406525[1].jpg (571KB, 1280x918px) Image search: [Google]
zeon_00406525[1].jpg
571KB, 1280x918px
Look at Dozel Zabi's green custom Zaku. It's the one holding the flag.

when the Big Heat Hawk is mass produced!
>>
>>12479154
I actually didn't like the one side having beams and the other having heat weapons.
It was even worse in Wing where ONLY the Sandrock had heat weapons and even Leos had beamsabers.

>>12479213
That looks shooped but I find it hilarious anyway.
>>
Beam sabers can be swung faster, and have a much larger contact edge at least compared to heat hawk or Gouf's sword. They can melt through stuff with relatively little force being applied behind the blade. They go through the heaviest stuff like shields much more easily.

Heat weapons mo badass do
>>
I want a Gendum series with absolutely no beam weaponry. Armor should matter more.

Problem is that it's too iconic so it's never going to happen.
>>
Beam melee weapons are just higher end heat weapons. Instead of searing hot metal blade melting through armor, it's a plasma blade melting and vaporizing armor.

>Would it be a bad idea to have a launcher that shoots Heat spikes at the enemy?
Heating up ammunition before firing it introduces a bunch of impracticality into a weapon. On earth, range would be really limited because you couldn't get a metal projectile hot enough to melt through armor on just contact yet be accurate enough to shoot at long distances. It's already hard enough designing projectiles with good accuracy, heating it up means you can't do the usual things to make the projectile more accurate like making it have aerodynamic fins and maybe projectile rotation. Even if you solve the accuracy problem, you have the issue of keeping the projectile hot enough to melt through armor for the entire distance that the projectile needs to travel to hit its target. It's just easier to have an explosive warhead that a aerodynamic shell or rocket or etc can deliver to the target before exploding.

Railguns sorta do what you want because the projectile travels so quickly that it heats up in the atmosphere. But it doesn't rely on heat to penetrate armor anyway, it has more than enough kinetic energy.

And well, heat weapons in space present another issue - it's easier to keep the projectile at high temperatures, but the launching mechanism needs a way to cool down or it's gonna melt itself. Not that Gundam pays a lot of attention to heat mechanics in space (aside from sticking radiator fins on ships and MS where it looks cool).
>>
>>12480754
That's pretty much how it goes.

Heat weapons are very effective, but the beam weapons are better enough to warrant using instead. There's a lot of value in heat weapons though, since their shape is extremely customizable and they are powered by the reactor of the MS. Beam weapons are mostly relegated to sabers and a couple other shapes, and have to be recharged.

The Dom got it right with the heat saber. It's a beam saber, except it's a heat weapon. All the advantages of a saber, but a tad less damaging.
>>
>>12480762
A Knight Gundam with real proportions has yet to get a series of its own, anon. There's still hope.
>MC and company use the crop-harvesting Peasant GMs
>they just want peace in the (corrupt) kingdom
>takes up sword against the ruthless Zaku Barbarians/Ogres
>MC must get in the nearest Magic Sentry (MS) to fight them off, this happens to be the Knight Gundam
>a couple are dispatched with ease but he meets the Crimson Crusader, his destined rival
>travels in a convoy with survivors, gundam's Excalibur wont be piloted by anyone else
>true enemy are family of evil wizards, the Zeons
>has to fight the honorable foe Blue Behemoth and his Gouf Warrior, the Black Triad gang and their Dom Berzerkers, etc
>MC has to deal with the stress of being the only one able to take the sword from the stone
>peasant GMs find weapons to use and become the Crossbow Gundam and the Rolling Fortress Gundam to support Knight
>Crimson Crusader sells his soul to Zeon more and more while killing off younger members
>final battle, all peasants in the kingdom are instructed by King Renpou to charge Zeon's castle, Knight Gundam and the Morningstar Zeong face off over the death of Curry Sune, a naturally maternal girl who loved them both
>MC unlocks his magical powers during the Crimson Crusader battle
Etc etc. I'd rather we get a totally original OVA or something eventually.
>>
>>12480856
That sounds like Galient at some points. I like it.
>>
>>12480795
IIRC, whether a beam saber runs off an internal rechargeable or from the reactor depends on the MS in question.

>The Dom got it right with the heat saber. It's a beam saber, except it's a heat weapon. All the advantages of a saber, but a tad less damaging.

Well, not quite all of them. Beam sabers are more compact, and also lighter.

Which gets to one "logic" nitpick that sticks in my craw, why beam jittes like the GP-01FB had weren't more common, if not full blown beam saber bayonets, given how often MS combat gets into melee. Though beam shields eventually resolve some of that.
>>
>>12478736
>Would it be a bad idea to have a launcher that shoots Heat spikes at the enemy?
That sounds pretty cool and very Gundam-y, but it would be functionally the same as a HEAT shell. Probably less effective because it wouldn't carry the penetrative shock of a shaped charge to propel the molten metal.
>>
>>12480795
>>12480754
Weight. Heat weapons have to include the weight of the blade. Beam weapons only weigh as much as the hilt. The weight of the beam is negligible.

Enables faster movement, as well as lighter Mobile Suits because they don't require as strong of servos to lift and swing them quickly.
>>
>>12481434
And since you can get a higher temperature from plasma than a solid blade due to not having to worry about it melting the blade, it makes up for the reduced penetration you get from lowered momentum.
>>
There's two things I never got about beam sabers.

1.How is it possible that heat weapons can block them? Shouldn't a beam saber melt them?

2. How can a beam saber get stuck in a Mobile Suit? I mean, when someone stabs someone with the saber and lets go of it and it just stays there (I think it happened in Unicorn and 00).
>>
>>12478808

Shot Lancers aren't actually heated though.
>>
>>12481463
Particle containment fields.

Basically magic.
>>
>>12481463

Beam sabers aren't really so much a beam as a super-heated energy barrier surrounding a beam.

That's why in CCA, the Sazabi's beam sabers were shorting out when the Nu was delivering its glorious beatdown, the Nu's sabers had a stronger barrier that was compromising the the Sazabi's.
>>
>>12481463
>>12481493
It's probably to do with the Magcon fields yeah.

I'd love a show with just heat weapons or beams that were limited to a few seconds at a time unless they were built like the Strike Sword.

It's just that limitation that I enjoy.
>>
>>12482889
That makes me think of something like a beam javelin that only let out the beam part on impact in order to save power. And it's still be flashy because you basically have a little explosion with each strike.
>>
>>12483660
That's pretty badass.
>>
Bumping so I can post here again when I am home.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.