[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this actually any good or is everyone wearing nostalgia goggles?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

File: 78839201345_192610374.jpg (117KB, 923x615px) Image search: [Google]
78839201345_192610374.jpg
117KB, 923x615px
Was this actually any good or is everyone wearing nostalgia goggles? I remember liking it when I was a little shit but I don't remember the actual show.
>>
Chaotic Century and Guardian Force are still god tier even if the show went heavy on the plot armor. Zero aged like shit. Fuzor was an abomination against god.

Didn't watch genesis.
>>
It was fun, and far from the worst thing I've ever watched.
I might pick up one or four of Koto's HMM Liger Zero kits before the summer is out.
>>
>>11112924
>Didn't watch genesis.

I wanted to like Genesis based on the beautiful animation style. ...and then I saw the episodes. The story was okay, a little boring and plodding, but man the animation sucked. They did not have the proper amount of money to work on a show with this style.
>>
>>11112924
i don't remember much Plot armor in Chaotic Century. yeah there's some but not heavy.
>>
>>11112939
Van's Liger could tank a lot of damage and one shot enemies. This was only topped by the Blitz team's bullshit.
>>
>>11113136
well that doesn't seem like "plot armor". we see his Blade liger get upgrades all the time.
>>
No amount of "muh dick" reaction images can properly capture my lust for Leena's custom Gun Sniper and it's sheer volume of dakka.
>>
File: c19332ff4826ad01ab314b3e03561b8f.jpg (418KB, 1000x692px) Image search: [Google]
c19332ff4826ad01ab314b3e03561b8f.jpg
418KB, 1000x692px
I rewatched them.

CC/GF holds up pretty well.

NCZ not so much.
>>
>>11113136
Your memory is faulty. Van did have requisite MC plot armor, but he still got his ass kicked plenty of times.
>>
File: 1318737305672.jpg (84KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
1318737305672.jpg
84KB, 600x480px
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-eFTDxVcCo
>>
I enjoyed watching Genesis. Felme did nothing wrong
>>
>>11113753
There's nothing wrong with that. Besides the animation, a massive overuse of tinfoil raptors and no ending fuck you it was a fine show.
>>
>>11113755
Only gripe with the show is the never ending stock footage of bio zoids and that ending. God. Fucking. Damnit.
>>
>>11113755
>>11113807

This. That sudden ending really annoyed me since up to then it was a pretty good show.
>>
this was my childhood, thank you OP
>>
Huge Zoids fan here...

Still raging over OE.
>>
CC/GF>Genesis>NCZ>>>>>>Fuzors
>>
>>11113182
Actually the Shield Liger was never upgraded, and the Blade Liger was upgraded only twice. One when Zeke synced better with it and the attack booster.
>>
>>11113743
This is probably the only show I didn't mind that Not a single good guy was killed
>>
>>11113753
She was an enabler.

I've only seen Genesis, and as for that ending... It was what, 50 episodes? I want to know what asshole cut the other two, the end sections of the show were rushed as shit and that made the ending and final battle worse. But hey, it had the fucking MUTEKI-DAN and that big twist at the end actually caught me, and fuck Jin for it so it's not all bad.
>>
>>11113952
Hey, at least it did the original pretty well, even if the NCZ thing was just dumb.
Well, besides pedo Thomas but SRW in general does weird things to time skips if there's only one game.
>oyw_amuro_in_nu.jpg
>>
>>11112907

Not high tier, but it was, indeed, fun!
>>
>>11112907
the soudtrack is one of the best things i've ever heard
>>
File: 1404564674149.jpg (203KB, 633x800px) Image search: [Google]
1404564674149.jpg
203KB, 633x800px
>tfw I was the only kid at school who liked Chaotic Century/Guardian Force while everyone liked Zero more because it was on Toonami
>>
>>11113742

It should also be noted that the Shield Liger's gimmick was being durable as hell.
>>
I don't really like shows revolving around tournaments. They just feel so lazy. Chaotic Century and Guardian Force had decent overarching plots and I like those.
>>
>>11112907
I remember when I was younger New Century Zero got pushed really hard, and CC/GF were originally only on in the morning. Even then, I could tell CC/GF was way better and NCZ felt really juvenile and formulaic. And I appreciated that, despite the requisite plot armor, Van's Blade/Shield Liger felt much more like a regular, common grunt mecha and not a super legendary special one, at least on the surface. Especially compared to Bit's Liger Zero, which was really clearly a protagonist's mecha.
>>
>>11116949
>tfw I was the only kid at school who watched anime and I liked them both

;_;
>>
>>11117533
NCZ was effectively a shortened, light-hearted version of G Gundam. From the perspective of a child; these people didn't have pokeballs, or spinning tops, or trading cards, they had FUCKING ANIMAL ROBOTS. And it was fucking awesome for it. You don't need a good plot when you're such a chill series. All you care about when you're young and watching NC0 is:

a. Which armor is Zero going to use?
b. When does the bass for that god-tier transformation music drop?
c. Where's Naomi?

It's actually a GOOD thing it was the the first be dubbed, even though it was the sequel. Not only did it have the better dub, it set up the right atmosphere for a lead-in to CC/GF. Fun as fuck.

CC/GF had the inferior CGI, but naturally had an actual plot.

Genesis had so much potential, but doesn't stack up to even NC0. The mech designs aren't horrible, but they pushed it over the edge with Bio-Zoids and the Murasame's "evolutions".

CC and GF didn't have that magical transformation shit, outside of organoid evolution; they were so much more believable.
>>
>>11117806
>Not only did it have the better dub
The NC0 dub is great. CC is too edited for my tastes. Fiona comes off as really standoffish in the first episode of the dub, where in the original she was just curious and confused. The cast was alright, but the direction was lacking, and whole marketing of THIS IS A BOY'S TOY SHOW RADICAL 90's DUDE really only worked for NC0 where it pretty much was just a radical toy show.

>CC/GF subs never
>BD rips for anyhthing never
>>
>>11117806
pretty much this
It was a great lighthearted show, with pretty likeable characters and "fun" action.
Totally want the Shadow Fox.
>>
>>11112907
>great mechs and effects (love the cuts to piston effects on panzer)
>mc is best bro's with his mech, doesn't treat as a tool, also is not a pussy whipped faggot
>takes parts in his stealth truck during combat, and not really afraid of anything
>mech bonding
>baller ass liger zero upgrade forms
>Leanas DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA gunsniper
>Brad swag + Shadow Fox
>good dub, Zechs gonna go fast, Quatre still a bitch
you fucken tell me
only downside is theres CGI, but its pretty bearable
>>
>>11117846
At the time, the CGI for NC0 SHAT on the majority of what was available, especially the cel-shading. Aside from the resolution, it's CG is superior to even Genesis. It wasn't for a few years that moderately budgeted shows often caught up.

Remember you're talking about a show that was aired in 2001.
>>
>>11118229
It's also the shortest of the shows, so it might just be normal that it looks better than the others if it had a similar budget.
Dafuq happened with Fuzors, though, I have no idea.
>>
>>11118229
>At the time
The CGI for Zoids still shits on half the things they aired this year.
>>
>>11118237
Cool bullshit bro
>>
>>11117846
>good dub
Yep nostlagia
>>
>>11112907

I recently found this on Youtube. I didn't remember the animation being so obviously CGI, but the story holds up pretty well and the dub is decent.
>>
>>11117762

>at some camp hanging out between events
>watching new century zero zoids
>older kid tells me to fuck with the robot dogs
>>
>>11118375

fuck off with*
>>
>>11112907

Wow, look at the tone and demeanor. Trying too much "cool kid?"
>>
>>11118307
Above all else, it was an Ocean Studios dub, so, we were listening to the cast of Beast Wars, X-Men Evolution and Gundam Wing, man.

Canada gets a free pass on the dub v sub debate sometimes.
>>
I don't really remember the show, but I do remember watching my dad build a Liger Zero kit for me.
>>
File: 3078294.jpg (386KB, 600x840px) Image search: [Google]
3078294.jpg
386KB, 600x840px
>>11112924
My problem with CC/GF is that the plot was kinda dull until Hiltz showed up at the end of GF.

NC/0 didn't have a lot of plot at least it was a fun ride throughout the entire series.
>>
>>11119959
>it was an Ocean Studios dub
That's even worse. They're dubs are incredibly inconsistent.
>>
Wait, what happened in the ending of Genesis? It's been years since I've watched it. All I remember is remember is hating the shit out of the series.
>>
Don't mind me, just posting these funky beats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbwDzlWMt3M
>>
>>11120238
Absolutely nothing.
>>
>>11120238
The last episode was clearly rushed. Within ten minutes, half the cast loses Zoids and cores and Felme dies before Ra Kan came back (which was foreshadowed but handled poorly), Garaga turned out to have two Zoid cores (foreshadowed once, in his first appearance 45 or so episodes ago), and Murasame Liger turns out to not need its Zoid Core (which is bullshit). Cue ending with Murasame going into the Generator and becoming its power source THE END.

Did I mention that all those Core tear-outs happened entirely within about two minutes of Cores first being mentioned in Genesis?

Basically they took five or so episodes and condensed them into 2 and the show fell apart trying to fit everything in.
>>
>>11120294
>Murasame Liger turns out to not need its Zoid Core (which is bullshit).
Actually I thought that was one part that kinda made sense. A mech with the ability to rebuild itself on the fly into a different model should be able of using that for self-repair.
Now the core itself, that might have been too much.
>>
>>11120386
It got stabbed and then he went "I need to move" and like a minute later it was moving again. That's the problem.

If the fight had played out longer, and he had been incapacitated first, and then everything spiraled down until it was just a severely outmatched Bio Volcano fighting the Bio Tyranno (before Ra Kan and Garaga returned to the fight), it would have worked better. Even more if there had actually been some sort of unified offensive involving Gin/Souta, Felme, and Zairin against Gene beforehand (and make Felme not get shot down like a fucking chump, she may not have deserved much but she deserved better for her piloting ability)
>>
>>11120477
I never really felt that Bio Volcano was that out matched, Zairin seems to be doing better than everyone else combined when Ruuji just sort of comes back and kill steals the Bio Tyranno.
>>
>>11120527
Its Bio Particle Cannon was less effective than God's Thunder (though it was strong enough to cancel it out, Tyranno would have recovered quicker) and while its claws were strong, Volcano had two hands and Tyranno had four. Tyranno also had size on Volcano, and neither was particularly fast IIRC. Zairin may have been a better pilot, but Gene was no slouch.

He would have been killed much quicker if Garaga hadn't returned and Ra Kan hadn't done a quick shaving of the top arms. He held his own, but he wasn't winning that fight.
>>
>>11120559
I don't know if you can really on count God's Thunder in a duel. Who the hell would fire a nuke at close range like that? The Bio armor is tough as fuck but nothing could stand that. Dude was crazy, not stupid.
>>
>>11120202
Ocean Group was on a roll in the late 90s to early 2000s, which includes Zoids.

NC0 was Ocean Studios
CC/GF was Blue Water

Irvine is Simon
Fiona is Rain
Van is Shinn
Naomi is Noir

The NC0 dub is Seed/Wing quality. The CC/GF is slightly worse than G Gundam.
>>
>>11120735
Fucking autocorrect, Irvine is Domon
>>
>>11120291

I'll do you one better. Zero's CAS music is in the background

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjK0HusMU7Y
>>
I watched the fuzors dub a few years ago and found it terrible. Lines and scenes that clearly didn't go together.

Can anyone confirm this was the dubs fault?
>>
>>11120751
Possibly, but honestly it was already an abortion, and I've never watched it subbed.

They even changed Strike Lazer Claw to "Laser Claw Strike Attack" or some shit.
>>
>>11112934
I loved genesis' world and the ending was hilarious for me
>I FUCKED UP THE BAD GUY AND IM HEADING HOME SEEYA
>>
>>11120882
>genesis' world
The Genesis setting was, for all intents and purposes, Turn A Zoids. Complete with survivors of the previous civilization living in the sky and an main, old mech that's full of OP special tech (though the Evolt System is less solar-system tier WMD and more of the final evolution of weapon pack technology).
The story itself went in a completely different direction, though.
>>
>>11112907
because Im already posting in the /tg/ thread here is the last model I bought. the models really are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prvxTBBpS-A#t=47

mirage fox was like a upgraded shadow fox.
>>
File: 12-battle1.gif (19KB, 80x80px) Image search: [Google]
12-battle1.gif
19KB, 80x80px
nostalgia everywhere
>>
>>11120751
Fuzors had enough problems that frankly even an absolute masterpiece dub could not overshadow.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.