[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about a third through this. Why does it get hated? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (14KB, 182x278px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14KB, 182x278px
I'm about a third through this. Why does it get hated? It's a good book. Obviously no novel is worth using as a religious text so that's a strawman. I was expecting a love letter to CEOs and billionaires but it mostly presented money as a reward for giving the vulgar masses what they want. Keating, Francon, and heyer are rich.

Also Ellsworth toohey is so devastatingly spot on I could see the "intelligentsia" and /lit/ hating this book for him alone.

Also I'm like Roark but without having found a passion. I can't understand the normie hivemind or relate to it at all. I always knew it was due to a quality I had rather than a defect
>>
>>9993450
It's written like shit. PAGES AND PAGES OF NONSTOP DIALOGUE.
>>
>>9993458

It's not written like shit. I think it can get airy fairy when Dominique bits are emotional but that's it.

I can see why you'd say that if you were some sort of modern literary fiction or pomo worshipper who has an MFA. But these people are faggots.
>>
>>9993450
>It's a good book.
Is this your first book?
>>
>>9993494
P A G E S
A
G
E
S

O F
F

S H I T
H
I
T
>>
>>9993450
Because it's not leftwing. It has some fun thoughts about architecture, authorship, and creative integrity. Overall, though, Rand believes very firmly in romanticism, which is very out of style now. Even for romanticism, there are better. Solid, but not worth the praise lolberts heap on it. It's Atlas Shrugged that's more of the treatise.
>>
>>9993450
>Why does it get hated?
Partly because of Rand's politics, partly because she cribs shamelessly from her influences. There's actually very little original in the novel. The ending is also a bit of a mess, and the rape scene hasn't aged well.

>It's a good book.
Yeah, it's alright. I definitely like Toohey as a character, and the theme, at least at the outset (be your own person), is important. But it's hardly the great thing some make it out to be.

>I'm like Roark but without having found a passion. I can't understand the normie hivemind . . .
Wew lad. I know you're not gonna like hearing this, but you are not Roark. You're not Roark because he doesn't exist. He's a fantasy. Rand would hate me for saying so, but no real-life human is so single-handedly great and powerful. That's just not how the world works — nobody gets to be an unstoppable, all-virtuous force of nature. The real reason you don't get along with others because you have a strong sense of entitlement. You think the world owes you accolades just because you're smarter than average (not an impressive feat, by the way — just under 50% of us are smarter than average). But the truth is you do need to meet people halfway and make compromises. You may ask how I know this. I've been there. I've been a Randian/Objectivist/believer in this particular meme. Then I woke up. She's selling snake oil in the form of self-worship. It feels good, and it's better than some other ideologies, but it's still constraining and contrived and full of holes. You're not Roark. None of us are, or even can be. Rand would have you believe otherwise, and would insult you if you didn't, but that's the truth.
>>
Get this shit to your board /pol/tard.
>>
File: IMG_20170829_112601.jpg (2MB, 4190x2918px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170829_112601.jpg
2MB, 4190x2918px
>>9995404
Great post.

>>9993494
Shit post.
>>
>>9993450
>I was expecting a love letter to CEOs and billionaires but it mostly presented money as a reward for giving the vulgar masses what they want. Keating, Francon, and heyer are rich.
The Fountainhead was Rand's breakout hit and I think after that she became more concerned with defending economic success. The Fountainhead has some pro-free market stuff in it, but it's only in Atlas Shrugged that you really get into the glorification of making money.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.