[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the psychoanalytic term Fanon uses to refer to the alienation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: whatisfun.jpg (133KB, 728x1041px) Image search: [Google]
whatisfun.jpg
133KB, 728x1041px
What is the psychoanalytic term Fanon uses to refer to the alienation from one's own body that he describes in Black Skin, White Masks? Where the body breaks down into mechanical parts observed as things tacked on to the individual rather than seamless aspects of the whole individual themselves, or something. I think it was "de-" something but I can't remember.
>>
Depersonalization?
>>
>>9992669
No I don't think that was it - if I'm remembering correctly it was specifically about the reduction of the body to a mechanical thing, and the word alluded to the psychologically destructive nature of that process. Though I think depersonalization is maybe entailed by that to some extent as well.
>>
>>9992682
ok well I looked in my copy and couldn't find it - I remember it occurring in a passage where he's describing the result of the socialization of a black boy or something, but maybe I'm hallucinating the whole thing.
>>
>>9992873
Look man, it might just be a refinement of depersonalization. What you described is in the DSM-V for the term after all.
Maybe derealization? They usually go hand in hand.
>>
>>9992918
Yeah maybe you're right, I can't find it to argue anyway.

Does this sound like depersonalization:

"The image of one's body is solely negating. It's an image in the third person. All around the body reigns an atomsphere of certain uncertainty. I know that if I want to smoke, I shall have to stretch out my right arm and grab the pack of cigarettes lying at the other end of the table. As for the matches, they are in the left drawer, and I shall have to move back a little. And I make all these moves, not out of habit, but by implicit knowledge. A slow construction of my self as a body in a spatial and temporal world - such seems to be the schema."

I get that the first part probably is, but where it's like becoming aware of your own breathing rhythm but for every movement of your body, that's really what I'm trying to get at. The body kind of "deconfigures" into pieces.
>>
>>9992974
He also talks about this with regards to skin colour, obviously - becoming "aware of the weight of one's colour". I think you're definitely right that it involves depersonalization in the sense that you're looking at it as though it's an object you're observing rather than a part of you, I just thought I remembered that he used a specific term to refer to the process wherein the body breaks down into mechanical pieces.

I also don't think there's any derealization involved, which is the big difference and why I'm hesitant to describe it as personalization. If anything I think the experience is supposed to create a sense of acute and crippling hyper-awareness.
>>
>>9992974
That usually is depersonalization, yes.
>>
>>9992974
maybe it was deschematize or deconfigure or something phenomenological like that.
>>
>>9992992
You're right in that it's not derealization, just checked it out. But if you were reading >>9992974 like a symptom, it'd definitely be a dissociative state regarding judgment of real by depersonalization, so yeah.
>>
>>9992637
>Dreamy anime girl holding a joystick incorrectly
Fuck, that's adorable. Where the hell is sauc-
>Tags: romance, yuri
Well fuck you too
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.