[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>go to a local Bible study group >spend literally two hours

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: bible-questions.jpg (33KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
bible-questions.jpg
33KB, 400x225px
>go to a local Bible study group
>spend literally two hours on five verses
>the pastor leading it basically turns it into a sermon, barrelling over anyone else's input
Fuck this, I'm sticking with doing it myself
>>
>>9990560
>Being a Christian
Didn't the Bible teach you anything anon?
>>
What verses were you discussing?
Sorry I hate to be annoying but I've never been to one nor do I ever expect to but I'd want to know what it's like.
Do you just discuss the historical context of the verses? Their theological significance? Interpretation?
Or is it just how to extract lessons for your life, i.e like a self help manual?
>>
>>9990573
Philippians 3:1-7, although about a third of it was on the first damn verse.

I hadn't been to one before either, it was a baptist group. There was a bit of theological background, e.g. the pastor explaining Paul's objection to circumcision. The thing is, I knew it all already and the pastor explained it in a torturously drawn-out way. So yeah, it was mostly treated as a sermon about how to live, the wider historical context wasn't touched on at all.
>>
>>9990560

Did you just customer review a religious sermon
>>
>>9990560
>>9990607

This is my experience with protestant bible studies too OP
>full disclosure: am heretic panentheist ex-creationist

My exact same experience down to the obsession with Paul.
God forbid I bring up anything from the Torah, or the Gospels, or anything other than some letters some guy wrote to the early church.
Sola scriptura makes me want to kill myself.

We can turn this into a Bible studies thread if you want though. You can even pick the book/chapter/verse
>>
That's how Bible study is, at least in most Protestant churches. It's not about literally studying the Bible, it's basically just an excuse for religious/life conversation with verses that are relevant to whatever conversation topic is chosen.
>>
>>9990560
Religion ain't a democracy m80. Now shut up and do as you're told.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.