[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever quit a book before? I've read about 50 in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2781.jpg (422KB, 800x1208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2781.jpg
422KB, 800x1208px
Have you ever quit a book before? I've read about 50 in the past two years and haven't quit any, but my god, pic related is so fucking boring. I just can't take it. I'm not a stranger to dense books or literature. I read the Iliad before this. This book gives a new definition to "nothing happens" though. I'm about 40% through, is it worth finishing or should I just quit?
>>
>>9985852
quit. I loved it for the world and the style, but if that isn't doing it for you, it won't be worth it
>>
>>9985852
Your post seems to me to be just a catharsis.
A few words of advice:
Don't say out loud that you thought The Iliad was boring.
Don't say out loud that you've read about 50 books in the past two years.
Keep reading, come back to it someday.
>>
>>9985878
>two books a month
Is there actually something wrong with this?
>>
File: tfw not to intelligent enough.jpg (249KB, 1144x888px) Image search: [Google]
tfw not to intelligent enough.jpg
249KB, 1144x888px
>>9985852

look out, brainlet coming through
>>
>>9985888
nice trips
I meant to emphasize don't say it out loud (in public)
but yes if you're saying it to impress us or rationalize your post there's something wrong. That's a pretty casual level of reading (for people who actually still read).
In your post, you just come across as a total piece of shit, and if you were to say what you said in public it's just cringey. Just my opinion
>>
>>9985878
>Don't say out loud that you thought The Iliad was boring.
What? I didn't say that. I thought the Iliad was great.

>>9985924
>but yes if you're saying it to impress us
I'm not trying to impress you, I just said that to show that I don't usually quit books. It's relevant to the topic.

>I meant to emphasize don't say it out loud (in public)
That's why I'm on 4chan
>you just come across as a total piece of shit
It's fucking 4chan
>and if you were to say what you said in public it's just cringey
What's cringey is you making dumb assumptions and giving me mom-tier advice

and this isn't me btw:
>>9985888
>>
>>9985852
I agree that Titus Groan is boring, but it's possible for a boring book to be extremely aesthetically appealing. Titus Groan is a book I didn't really enjoy reading, but immensely enjoyed 'having read.' It gave me a number of indelible aesthetic snapshots that I can view at any time.
>>
File: IMG_0037.jpg (23KB, 179x220px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0037.jpg
23KB, 179x220px
Couldn't make it past the introduction of this book. The auhor is so far up his own ass and starts blabbering about global warming bullshit in the prologue. Here's the quote that made me set it down.
>The fact that human intuition is ill suited to situations involving uncertainty was known as early as the 1930s, when researchers noted that people could neither make up a sequence of numbers that passed mathematical tests for randomness nor recognize reliably whether a given string was randomly generated. In the past few decades a new academic field has emerged to study how people make judgments and decisions when faced with imperfect or incom- plete information. Their research has shown that when chance is involved, people’s thought processes are often seriously flawed. The work draws from many disciplines, from mathematics and the traditional sciences as well as cognitive psychology, behavioral economics, and modern neuroscience. But although such studies were legitimated by a recent Nobel Prize (in Economics), their lessons for the most part have not trickled down from academic circles to the popular psyche. This book is an attempt to remedy that. It is about the principles that govern chance, the development of those ideas, and the manner in which they play out in politics, business, medicine, economics, sports, leisure, and other areas of human affairs. It is also about the way we make choices and the processes that lead us to make mistaken judgments and poor decisions when confronted with randomness or uncertainty. Information that is lacking often invites competing interpretations. That’s why such great effort was required to confirm global warming, why drugs are sometimes declared safe...
>>
I quit more than I finish. I just bought op's image last week based on its reputation here. It hasn't arrived yet but I bought it because I quit Dune when 50 pages in it wasn't exciting me. I quit Way of Kings 700 pages in before that when I couldn't look past all the faggotry anymore. I've given up on Brothers Karamazov 300 pages in three times.
>>
american gods. that book was shit from the start.
neil gaiman should stick to comic books
>>
Thomas Wolfe is my white whale. Three attempts to finish. 131 pages into O Lost and I've run out of steam. The prose is amazing but it's a slog. Only 500 pages to go..
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.