[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got into audibles free trial. So far audiobooks suck for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: audible-logo-white.png (37KB, 3383x1468px) Image search: [Google]
audible-logo-white.png
37KB, 3383x1468px
I just got into audibles free trial. So far audiobooks suck for me, I get to easily distracted my mind starts to wander every 10 minutes or so. Does this happen to you /lit/ ? how do you avoid it? I really don't have time to read books no more, and a long commute to work everyday.
>>
try getting fucked up on opiates
>>
>>9985109

Listen to them before bed. Sit there with your eyes closed, words in your head, landscapes in your mind, one character fucking over another while you lay there comfortable in the serenity of your king memory foam mattress. Wondrous.
>>
Commuting I listen to old favorites I heard dozens of times because of the distractions of travel. When I want to concentrate,its when I am working with my hands,housework and the like that I explore new purchases. And it could be the book too:quality varies widely with both book and reader.
>>
Also,if you are driving and need the mental space for all the hazards of it,you may consider getting things other than books from Audible. I spent last month's credits on two collections of Old Time Radio programs: Command Performance, a series of Hollywood's finest fulfilling the requests of servicemen for their favorite stars during World War 2. And the other was Richard Diamond Private Eye,a fun smartass ex policeman solving crimes in New York City. Radio was TV in the distant past and a lot of production values were crammed into every episode. And there are modern radio plays bei g produced in England too,and podcasts to subscribe to and all sorts of other easily consumed media to discover.
>>
I find that audiobooks are very dependent on their narrators.
>>
>>9985109
I only listen to audiobooks before going to sleep.
They'd annoy me in any other context, even commuting
>>
>>9986945
This. A Yorkshireman reading Brothers Karamazov? No thanks.
>>
>>9985109
I find I focus best when doing very menial jobs i.e. those that require no internal dialogue.
>>
>>9985261
B-but what if you want to go back a bit- ain't it a tad inconvenient?
>>
Just an irrelevant PSA- don't ever listen to librivox recordings.
>>
>>9987059
Why?
>>
>>9985109
So what's the deal with audiobooks? The point of audiobooks is to listen to them because you're occupied with other things and can't read, right? Do you not get distracted and lose attention by doing whatever it is you're doing? Can you listen to "serious" books in audiobook format, or is it designed for "light reading" of popular genre fiction?

Or do people actually listen to audiobooks 100% devoted to audiobooks themselves? Why not just read the real book then?

Sorry if I sound like a pretentious pseud, but I'm genuinely curious about this. Please explain.
>>
>>9987072
It's run by volunteers- the quality is shit. Also most of the novels are segmented with multiple narrators so even if you do happen to chance upon a good narrator with a half-decent mic, halfway or so through a different person will take over anyway. It's quite jarring and frustrating. They also often have heavy accents and are barely understandable. But hey it's free.
>>
>>9987090
please respond
>>
>>9987090
I've only used them when doing something else like drawing, painting or walking to work. I did occasionaly get distracted and rewind in the same way your mind can wander when reading. Tended to listen to sci-fi like ian banks books on them so didnt really matter if i didnt take it all in.
Basically i could fit in a lot more books than normal but wouldnt bother with heavy stuff as i dont think it goes in aswell.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.