[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, just about wrapped this baby up and I got some fucking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: reneguenon.jpg (5KB, 196x293px) Image search: [Google]
reneguenon.jpg
5KB, 196x293px
Alright, just about wrapped this baby up and I got some fucking questions.

I agree, for the most part, with Guenon's spiel, that is modernity is a confusion of individualism due to an underlying [and unifying] common metaphysics.

My irritation with the book, and maybe it's because I'm a brainlet, is that Guenon constantly reiterates how the loss of 'tradition' contained within the metaphysics is what has led to the chaotic modern world, but he never defines what this valuable 'tradition' is.

Guenon writes that remnants of this 'tradition' and found in various iconography and dogma of the Catholic church, although the church no longer knows the truth of what it tends to and keeps burning, but again, doesn't elaborate on specifically what this 'tradition' means.

I understand the premise of the book. Holy metaphysical fire went out for the west, is still tended by some obscure groups who no longer know what they protect, we're fucked. But, WHAT is the holy fire? Is it just a belief in God? In a higher power?

Spell it out for me Guenon.
>>
>>9980936
Fucked up that first sentence in my drunken stupor.

"I agree, for the most part, with Guenon's spiel, that is modernity is a confusion of individualism due to an ABSENCE of underlying [and unifying] common metaphysics.
>>
>>9980936
Not the best explanation but Tradition partly has to do with the idea of perennial philosophy, which is the idea that the majority of religions have aspects that tie themselves to each other and a greater truth.
>>
>>9980959
So, should my next book be Huxley's?

Further, Guenon has a stick up his about Catholicism and EasternTM Religions being the truth and the light [except Buddhism]. Is this due to their structure? Their caste? Guenon seems to suggest that religions are more valuable for their societal structuring power than any innate 'moralism.'

Which makes me question what the perennial philosophy is if not, ultimately, a moralistic golden rule? Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
>>
>>9980982
Defiantly read Huxley's book. Its a very good read and combines information from all the worlds religions.

The best writers Huxley quotes in his book are Meister Eckhart and Adi Shankara. Pay attention to their sections in particular. Though pay attention to everyone, because he has a talent choosing very good writings.

His Catholicism bias is likely due to his upbring and Buddhism's structure not needing God likely making him dislike Buddhism due to it being the odd one out. He did convert to Sufi Islam in the end, so that's something.
>>
>>9981088
Thanks for the answers, this helped me out a good bit, although ultimately, I feel that the quest for 'tradition' will be a rabbit hole with no bottom.
>>
>>9981113
Glad to be of help. The quest for Tradition is a hard one, but the virtue of it is it's one of those things is that the questions are more interesting then the answers.

I'd reccomend at some point reading some Evola. While he honestly is racist is a very strange sense, his writings on Tradition especially Ride the Tiger are very interesting and build off of Guenon. If you know about the concept of volkgeist Evola's "Spiritual Racism" is a somewhat similar concept, albeit somewhat anti-Semitic unfortunately, which I think detracts from the work. Other then that while some what dated the answers he gives to questions such on European nihilism prove the point that modernity for the worse as isolated people from God and from each other.
>>
>>9980936
Personally I think the tradition he refers to is something akin to Heidegger's idea of hermeneutically understanding being, but I could be wrong. Heidegger and Guénon at least have more in common than many realize.

Also, Guénon didn't actually understand Buddhism when he wrote texts such as this; he later recanted his criticisms due to what was (by his own admission) ignorance of Buddhist doctrine.
>>
>>9981151
Why do you think the anit-semitism detracts from the work? On a religious/metaphysical level, or on a political level, or on a moral level?
>>
Read Eliade's Myth of the Eternal Return. It basically concerns tradition and how we lost it.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.