[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been doing a bit of research and practice on alleged

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

I've been doing a bit of research and practice on alleged "speed reading" over the past couple of hours and I am torn.

Some say that they can read over a thousand words per minute with above-average retention. All you have to do is to quiet that internal voice.

Others say by doing such, you are greatly damaging retention, and that the only way to truly read and comprehend faster is to speed up the voice rather than silence it altogether.

These to me are two radically different ideas, and I'm having trouble discerning which is correct. I'm leaning towards the latter, that being that the "voice" in your head is necessary for retention, but I also don't want to jump the gun simply because it would be more difficult to train my mind to "speed read."

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts, and, if you have it, any physiological evidence to point either way. Thank you
>>
>>9977426
Retention is not the same as comprehension. You can retain a lot without necessarily comprehending it.
>>
ever see rainman? it's like that. good will huntings don't exist.

next.
>>
>>9977449
My mistake, I meant only to refer to retention, not comprehension.
>>9977450
I have not seen Rain Man nor Good Will Hunting
>>
Everyday there's another one falling for the meme.
Speedreading doesn't exist
>>
>>9977426
>youtube audiobook
>3x speed
>>
>>9977426
I've been taking speed reading courses lately. I read War and Peace in about ten minutes. It's about Russia.
>>
>>9979085
Does it have something to do with war and or peace though?
>>
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1529100615623267

tl;dr for the millionth time: If you want to get faster at reading, pretend that the language you're reading in isn't your native language. If you want to get faster at reading a non-native language, would you
a) try to kill the voice in your head that helps you understand what the word/sentence means
or
b) just improve your skills at recognizing vocabulary and deciphering complicated structures?

>>9977426
>All you have to do is to quiet that internal voice.

Not really possible. Also, just think about it: why would that be helpful in the first place?

It's like saying, "dude, to run faster, you just have to keep your legs off the ground!"
>>
Deaf people become slightly faster readers than hearing people as they get older so there's probably some merit to it. The difference is on the order of around 25 wpm though so you're probably not going to make up for the time it takes to learn how to do it.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.