[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi lit, i have a fucking philosophy degree. All i've read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

hi lit, i have a fucking philosophy degree. All i've read is philosophy and some fiction books and that's it.

so i want you to give me reccomendations

i don't want

1 - existential shit like Dosto, Camus, Salinger, Hesse... i read a lot of these ones and i don't like them very much. If u think of an existentialist book that diverges from the point of view of these ones, then yes, tell me.

2 - really ancient literature. Like i sad, i've studied philosophy and i'm tired of these

3 - stupid shit like Murakami, Garcia Marquez, etc...

thanks lit
>>
>>9977218
nobody cares what you want faggot
>>>/r/books
>>
>>9977218

First: read Shakespeare you cuck. He's the greatest writer in the language. At first you'll be like "hur dur I don't really know what's going on, poetry is whack, what's the point of these stories" but if you have anything inside you that isn't utterly plebeian, you'll come around to seeing him as the demigod he is. What Plato is to philosophy, Shakespeare is to English literature.

Second: are you more interested in fiction or poetry? If the former, short stories, novellas, novels?

For short stories, Borges is a lot of fun, especially for a student of philosophy. His stories feature tons of metaphysical conceits and and poetically-rendered paradoxes and stuff like that. Also, Joyce's Dubliners is basically mandatory reading if you want to get into literature.

For poetry, check out Shakespeare (sonnets), Donne, Wordsworth, Yeats, Eliot, and Stevens. They are all in their own ways philosophically-minded, and arguably the greatest poets in the language.

For novels, there is almost too much to bother reducing it down to a shortlist, but the memed classics are memed classics for a reason. Joyce, Faulkner, Nabokov, and McCarthy are all amazing. They're a little more difficult than some other stuff you might want to start with for getting into novels, like Austen, Dickens, Steinbeck, etc., but not quite as huge a commitment and intellectual slog (minus Ulysses of course) as guys like Melville, Proust and Pynchon.

If you don't like this list, be more specific about the stuff that intrigues you.

Also, what's wrong with Garcia Marquez?
>>
>>9977274

i love this list. Borges is one of my favourites.

lit has made me think sometimes that reading the memed classics is a waste of time because of being so memed, so maybe i'll change my opinion watching this...

I don't like Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude, i don't like that kind of fantasy approach (it doesn't mean that i don't like fantasy, it's just this book) and i was really boring, i couldn't get anything meaningful of it.
>>
File: ready player one.jpg (24KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
ready player one.jpg
24KB, 313x475px
Sounds like you don't want any stupid moralizing bullshit. You want a roller coaster ride filled with irreverence, badassness, and most of all, science. Well, I got just the book for you. Ready Player One will take you on a trip you'll never forget. Get ready, OP.
>>
File: cover_277.jpg (46KB, 277x416px) Image search: [Google]
cover_277.jpg
46KB, 277x416px
>>9977300
Get that weeabo shit of my board
>>
File: what the fuck am i reading.jpg (51KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck am i reading.jpg
51KB, 720x400px
>>9977218
>tfw no one has mentioned culture of critique
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.