[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /lit/ Trying to get into literature so I have borrowed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

Hello /lit/
Trying to get into literature so I have borrowed some books from my campus library and some that I borrowed from my father.
Many of them are in swedish so I'll just translate it:
>Karl Popper - The Open Society and its Enemies
>Vi Tolererar inga Förlorare
Some biography on the Kennedy clan in swedish.
>The Divine Comedy
>Statsrådet i Tiden
Hugely iconic swedish comedies about a minister (the political kind) solving murders, it's supposed to be hilarious
>The Karamazov Brothers
>Crime and Punishment
>Tom Jones
>Clausewitz - On war
>Piketty - Capital in the 21st Century
>Essential Chomsky
>Machiavelli
>Mao - The True Story
>Underbara Dagar Framför Oss - Berggren
Biography of the swedish JFK, Olof Palme
>Putnam - Bowling Alone
>Confessions of an English Opium Eater

I am an ADD kiddie, unable to focus for a long time on one specific thing which has hindered my reading. Now on Ritalin I am able to concentrate a bit better.
I am in med school but paused that a semester due to poor results and not being sure if I want to be a doctor, now studying pol. sci. for a semester.
>>
Second image.
Help me /lit/, help me discipline myself in this art.
>>
Depends on how much free time you have or are willing to devote to reading.

If it's a fair amount you could pick a fiction book and a non-fiction book and divide your time between the two. If it's less time then you could alternate between fiction and nonfiction.

Machiavelli is a classic for politics, if you want to start with that. Confessions of an English Opium Eater is a book I'll probably read soon. It looks very well written and the subject matter seems interesting. Go with whatever captures your interest the most.

You might want to grab a decent anthology (Swedish or English) to expose yourself to a variety of different poets. Some poets you might like, others not so much. I've heard that Strindberg is meant to have done some important things in the Swedish language, but I haven't taken much of a look yet.
>>
my experience:
try to not overdo it and borrow a shit ton of books right at the start. if you've got time you can read 2 books at a time like the poster above said, 1 fiction 1 nonfiction is good, the variation will help you maintain interest.

regarding planning ahead what books to read, for me the best way is to keep just a few books on the horizon, instead of making an immense list which would take me months and months of reading. i've managed to get a decent routine lately, reading 1 or 2 books at the same time while having 5 or so books on my to-read. now of course i could name loads of books i want to read /eventually/ but thinking too much about that distracts me from the reading i'm currently doing.

if you want to be efficient you can look for books that work as commute-reading (that is to say something that you can pick up for 15 minutes or so) and have one of those with you at all times.

btw if you've never read dostoevsky before i'd advise you to read notes and c&p before tackling the idiot & kara bros. notes is short and a good book for getting into reading fiction.
>>
>>9974552
I thought that CaP cover is fake. Fuck Wordsworth moronic idiots
>>
>>9974792
C&P before The Idiot and Br.Kar? Think the two latter would most likely be more enjoyable to begin with and easier to finsh, unless you're really captivated by the psychological and philosophical themes in C&P.
C&P is a great book, but as the story goes, you don't really "care" what happens with any of the characters (no sympathy) which might be a bit boring if you're only just starting getting into lit.

Jag rekommenderar karamazov om du vill börja läsa dostojevskij, prova brott och straff också om du gillar den.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.