[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone tell me how to identify "modern" and "postmodern"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault.jpg (37KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
37KB, 480x360px
Can someone tell me how to identify "modern" and "postmodern" literature?

In particular, what constitutes the differences between a modern and postmodern novel?

What makes Joyce and Faulkner modern while Pynchon and DeLillo postmodern?
>>
File: God is dead and noone cares.jpg (115KB, 720x683px) Image search: [Google]
God is dead and noone cares.jpg
115KB, 720x683px
I've heard that postmodernism is a dragon who ate my dad, and that if I kill it I can save my dad and also get gold and save the princess.

Something something dominance hierarchy
>>
>>9974121
easiest answer: split it around 1945-1950.

less easy answer: a lot of what post modernism does is done by modernist authors but to a greater extent and with more freedom.

so instead of having one unreliable narrator, a novel might have several unreliable narrators or have the novel apparently exonerate the unreliable narrator as merely an incredible narrator.

instead of systems using bureaucracy in Kafkaesque ways, individualists use bureaucracy against systems in Kafkaesque ways (Catch 22 is a good example of this and use of irony being used more broadly than by fate)

while modernism in literature attacks the problems of modern progress more than modernism in other disciplines in some ways, it means that postmodernism in literature often attacks what it sought to shelter back into. joyce and faulkner's use of the mythic and stream of consciousness to replace the modern progress meme in postmodernism becomes flann o'brien's finn mac cool who is senile enough to repeat long stretches of half remembered half confabulated traditional irish storytelling.

another good way of telling is how many times they mention atoms. (don't be fooled by joyce's use of quark, it was named in 1963 after the physicist who discovered them read finnegans wake)
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.