[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To people who don't have English as their first language:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

To people who don't have English as their first language:
do you prefer reading an English translation or one in your native language?
I'm Italian and was interested in reading some German books, but I'm still undecided on the translation. I wouldn't want the books to be butchered by the simplicity of English grammar.
Should I not worry about this?
>>
>>9971040
> simplicity of English grammar
You obviously know nothing of English.
>>
>>9971040
I don't really care too much but generally prefer to pick up English translations to improve muh Engrish to be able to write prose in it eventually.

Do you really have a choice if your German isn't good enough? Learning a language just for reading sounds silly, so might just as well go with a translation of your choice, and maybe pick another if you're not happy with it. Besides, German specifically is such an ugly language for fiction.
>>
>>9971040
Che libri?
>>9971156
t.monolingual anglo pleb
>>
>>9971156
You obviously know nothing of German
>>
>>9971040
I prefer to read translations in my mother language, aways. But if you don't care the general rule of thumb is
english for german works
italian for latin based languages (french, portuguese and spanish)
But, to be honest, you shouldn't care that much about it, just read in the language you are most confortable

>>9971156
get out monolingual pleb, english have some of the greatest works of literature but the language itself is the stray dog of languages, so says most of translators, pales in comparisson to any major european language
>>
>>9971156
Not OP but I guess he is referring to the relative lack of declensions in English and fairly rigid s-v-o sentence structure. I think a lot is lost translating between two languages that are different in that sense.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.