[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I read about 60 pages of great expectations in total last night

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1502507965259.jpg (20KB, 445x549px) Image search: [Google]
1502507965259.jpg
20KB, 445x549px
I read about 60 pages of great expectations in total last night and today. It's really incredibly boring as fuck.
>>
Probably because your expectations were too great.
>>
Stephen king and jk Rowling will be worshipped like Dickens in 150 years. People like you guys will be praising them
>>
>>9970322
Anyone with a brain already knows that english literature in general is incredibly overrated.
>>
>>9970287
Ready Hardy or Elliot instead, Dickens is indeed overrated.
>>
Dickens can eat a dick
>>
Poor orphan kids and rich guys in London: The Author
>>
>>9970298
kek
>>
>>9970287
>>9970322
>>9970356
>>9970338
Do you all even know how to read? Dickens is the undisputed master. Joyce put him at the pinnacle of English literature in the Oxen chapter for a reason. It's difficult to find one literary technique used today that wasnt introduced by or significantly improved upon by Dickens.

Overrated... go back to watching Donnie Darko and complimenting yourselves on how smart you are.
>>
>>9970322
There have been a lot of very successful authors who are forgotten quickly.

You haven't heard of them today because no one has. Ouida and G.P.R. James come to mind
>>
>>9970510
This is why I'm glad NYRB exists. Frankly with so many good forgotten authors out there I'm surprised more publishers haven't jumped on.
>>
>>9970322
I don't think so as their prose is pretty bad. The ones that stand the test of time are written well.
>>
>>9970287
Sammy got popped?
>>
>>9971248
Because no one really gives a shit about forgotten authors. NYRB fill the needs of a niche group, any more publishers releasing forgotten shit would bomb.
>>
stop using /lit/ as your blog
you have an identical thread in the catalog right now (>>9972238) and a third was deleted earlier today
people will start reporting you and you will be banned
>>
>>9970287
the ending made me angry.
>>
>>9970322
>>9970427
>implying not liking dickens means not liking classic lit
>>
Tale of two cities is worse
>>
>he didn't know british shit is boring as fuck

live and learn bro
>>
>>9970287

In terms of writing long-ass epic novels about outcasts/the poor/the oppressed in the 19th century, Victor Hugo > Dickens.
>>
>>9970427
Did you even read Ulysses? The Oxen chapter was a parody of the historical advancement of literature. Joyce matches it to a baby's birth to mimic the metaphor that literature and language grows from primitive to advanced that dominates literary anthologies. That's why the chapter ends in a deluge of mixed voices and tongues. Joyce did it to trash the idea that literature necessarily is a teleological progression. If you read the Dickens section of the chapter you'll also see how sentimental and hammy it is. See:

>All that surgical skill could do was done and the brave woman had manfully helped. She had. She had fought the good fight and now she was very happy. Those who have passed on, who have gone before, are happy too as they gaze down and smile upon the touching scene.
>And Doady, knock the ashes from your pipe, the sea
soned briar you still fancy when the curfew rings for you (may it be the distant day!) and dout the light whereby you read in the Sacred Book for the oil too has run low and so with a tranquil heart to bed, to rest. He knows and will call in His own good time. You too have fought the good fight and played loyally your man's part. Sir, to you my hand. Well done, thou good and faithful servant!

Joyce's brother, Stanislaus, in 'My Brother's Keeper' notes that Joyce did not think highly of Dickens' style. One can imagine that he played up the sentimentalism in his parody of Dicken's style in the Oxen chapter.

Don't take it personally. I'm only sperging because I studied the chapter closely. To be fair I don't think very highly of Dickens either but I found Great Expectations an entertaining enough read.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.