[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading the Tractatus now. Ogden/Ramsey or Pears/McGuinness translation,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: images (11).jpg (9KB, 300x243px) Image search: [Google]
images (11).jpg
9KB, 300x243px
Reading the Tractatus now. Ogden/Ramsey or Pears/McGuinness translation, and why?
>>
>>9970006

Your post is perfectly absurd and backwards because you claim to already be reading the book, and in our context it is reasonable to assume that you are(?) reading an English translation of the book. Yet at the same time despite claiming to have already commenced reading some English translation of the book, you ask advice on which one to pick.

So if you're already doing one, why ask about the both? Further, The book is short enough that you could readily do both translations and given the nature of the whole business you would probably actually get some value out of actually reading them back-to-back. Finally, a good catch-all observation:

>>
>>9970019
>7.
naa we can write about whatever we like witty just has sensitive ears
>>
>>9970019
I'm reading a pdf containing both translations as well as the original German. I had just finished the introduction by Bertrand Russell when I posted.

While there would undoubtedly be some value in reading both, I only want to read one for various reasons.
>>
>>9970006
Skip it
Start with PI
>>
>>9970006
Wait wasn't Wittgenstein fluent in English, why didn't the faggot just translate it himself
>>
>>9971700
This, even if you end up preferring the Tractatus the PI make it so much easier to understand
>>
>>9970006
Routledge have a version which is Ogden and the original German face-to-face on each page.
Why Ogden?:
>>9971711
He revised the Ogden/Ramsey translation himself.
>>
>>9971700
doesn't PI depend a lot on the tractatus?
>>
>>9971759
This is the answer I was looking for. Thanks.
>>
>>9971714

I finished PI not long ago. I first read the Tractatus and I felt like I got most of it though I"m dismissive of the "mystical" turn at the end as being a sort of literary device. Time to re-read the tractatus I guess.

The Tractatus consists of precisely 526 pronouncements. I gave myself an autistic project of graphing out the book's structure a few months ago, and it got it about halfway done (some large sheets for each section). The trick /this time/, would be to read the text /in a different order (hyperlinks-internet browsing)/ which the nesting suggests, as opposed to the "strictly increasing real-numbers" layout of the text proper.

This goes to his metaphor of "finding your way about in a city" (doen'st he mention that in PI? I forget already).
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.