[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the differences between postmodern literature, postmodern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1470102149541.jpg (56KB, 477x414px) Image search: [Google]
1470102149541.jpg
56KB, 477x414px
What are the differences between postmodern literature, postmodern art, and postmodern philosophy?
>>
>>9969707
postmodern lit is literal shit, lots of scat humor and rape

postmodern art is all googly woogly

postmodern philosophy is angsty
>>
>>9969707

postmodern lit is primarily concerned with two things: first, the acceptance of the fact that everything worth saying has already been said and a sort of coming-to-terms with that through frequent use of allusion, reference, and recombination of existing materials; second, a shared reader-author awareness that fiction really is fiction and doesn't have to pretend to be contained, coherent, consistent, or work inside any sort of box, and a resulting increase of interest in formal creativity (see, for instance, DFW's footnotes, Pale Fire, or the cancer that is House of Leaves).

postmodern art is all googly woogly

postmodern philosophy is angsty
>>
Angsty?
>>
>>9969707
postmodern philosophy doesn't laugh at you for forgetting to be a human.
>>
>>9970742
Frustration at your own situation but tinged with edginess, emo, and rebelliousness. Not filled with fear if you're a German speaker.
>>
>>9970795
So is postmodern philosophy philosophical iconoclasm? Just about tearing everything down?
>>
Postmodernism is a very contentious descriptor and applies to a lot of schools of thought. From my own understanding, though, I'd say it is primarily a position which denies the objectivity of meta-narratives. To be post-modern in regards to the Enlightenment project, for instance, is to say that there is no all-encompassing Subject that serves as a bearer of truth and trans-historical inalienable rights. Said Subject is a conception of the western philosophical tradition, and can be asserted only within that tradition.
>>
>>9970963
Would it be right to consider postmodernisms as reactions to modernism (being much more unified across different fields)? Your description doesn't seem to be broad enough to include something like architecture, where the term originated in the first place.
>>
>>9970993
How was it a "reaction," specifically, to modernism?
>>
>>9969707
Postmodern literature concerns itself with the status and production of texts. Postmodern art concerns itself with the status and production of objects. Postmodern philosophy concerns itself with the status and production of ways of thinking. They often interact, since they inherit the universalising and essentialising impulses of modernism.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.