[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why am I so concerned about the length of a book while reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: bored-cat_work-600x384.jpg (38KB, 600x384px) Image search: [Google]
bored-cat_work-600x384.jpg
38KB, 600x384px
Why am I so concerned about the length of a book while reading it. Even if I am enjoying it, I always glance at the page number or check how close I am to the end. I never feel totally absorbed. Is there anyway I can stimulate this?
>>
File: 1412538837897.jpg (17KB, 291x343px)
1412538837897.jpg
17KB, 291x343px
I feel the same way anon. I think we're just brainlets
>>
>>9968855
A lot of people have this problem. I used to have this problem when I was younger and wanted to be able to say I read a book. It's just a habit that can be broken. You're just going to have to practice concentration. I broke it by visualizing everything I read in descriptive passages, and in intellectual passages, just concentrating on understanding the entire argument, going back again and again until I understood exactly what the author was trying to communicate. At first you'll be checking yourself to make sure you're not paying attention to the page number, and thus paying attention to it. You might even feel like you're going nuts and you'll never be able to think about anything but page numbers while you read. But ff you practice this other way of reading, or your own version of it, just making sure that you are concentrating solely on the text, you'll learn to fall into the book and pay no heed to the number of pages left. I promise that it will work, but it takes intense concentration. You'll soon be interrupted in your reading by trying to turn the page and realizing that there's nothing left.
>>
>>9968855
maybe you can turn off page count on some e-readers but i don't know really desu flemeli
>>
You already know the answer.
The problem is that you subconsciously care about the number of books you finish under a self imposed deadline, say 4 books in a week.

Renounce this deadline that your subconscious has taken for a measure of self worth and "become one with the text".

You will complete the book faster than you ever could obsessing over its pagecount and your progress and also you would have matured as a human being.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.