[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you still read as much as you do, if you had a satisfactory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

File: ZKorea.jpg (127KB, 600x1266px) Image search: [Google]
ZKorea.jpg
127KB, 600x1266px
Would you still read as much as you do, if you had a satisfactory social life?
>>
>>9968138
is that a rhetorical question?
>>
>implying anyone on here reads anything other than wikipedia summaries
>>
>>9968170
Reading Wikipedia is unironically a great way to educate yourself
>>
>>9968170
I'm reading It. :(
>>
>>9968138
My only social life is my girlfriend and I still barely read
>>
>>9968138
bitch pls. i have no social life and i spend all day browsing here and youtube. if i had friends i would read things with them.
>>
>>9968298
Oh but my girlfriend and I read together though. Guess my life #blessed
>>
>>9968301
>Implying anyone actually reads
I have friends but I might as well not have bothered; they don't read and are intellectually stunted. Friends are overrated honestly
>>
>implying i want a social life
if you cant live a solitary lifestyle without feeling sad about normie shit, then you're a pleb
>>
Frankly, no.
>>
>>9968335
>>9968322
What's it like living with such an overwhelming delusion?
>>
>>9968193
it's truly not, and here's why:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view
>>
>>9968138
Well that's the eternal problem, anon. Women are a distraction to learning.
>>
>>9968138
But anon, I gave up on social life because I prefer to read (and mostly write). It's way easier to enjoy yourself alone than having to consider the needs and desires of multiple people.
>>
>>9968138
I can honestly say no. In high school I was at a party nearly every weekend, and continued into college that way. Eventually lost interest and became introspective which led into reading. If I had somehow maintained that it would likely have continued.
>>
>>9968348
If you are calling anyone's subjective experience an 'overwhelming delusion' you are obviously lacking a modicum of intelligence or any awareness of the world you actually live in
>>
>>9968355
How is that a negative?
>>
File: lemon cracker girl.jpg (99KB, 682x1024px) Image search: [Google]
lemon cracker girl.jpg
99KB, 682x1024px
>>9968138

I just want to get laid every now and then, I don't see how that would conflict with reading. I wish hetaira were still around, then I could have the best of both worlds.
>>
>>9968372
>shut up I don't like friends!
>m-my mom likes me reeeee
>>
I have a satisfactory life, and I try to read every day. One of my friends and I always talk about the books we read
>>
>>9968468
I totally relate to you.
>>
>>9968138
My social life is A1 and I read erryday. Slowly carving through the complete works of plato as well as some jung, then ill move on to dostoevsky.
>>
>>9968138
probably not as much tbqhwyf
>>
>>9968465
NOT. AN. ARGUMENT.

Go back to /v/ kid
>>
>>9968348
So this is what /r9k/ looks like. You're letting your jealousy show through your posts
>>
>>9968495
>>9968501
Lol y'all niggas need sum lovin
>>
>>9968465
>implying my mom likes me
>>
Writing would have to not exist in order for my social life to be satisfactory.
>>
>>9968321
is she a hottie though? That is the question.
>>
>>9968657
You are the definition of cancer.

FUCK OFF
>>
>>9968704
ELL OH ELL *cry laugh emoji*
>>
>>9968694
Nah man. I've never met a "hottie" who I had the slightest thing in common with. She takes care of me and I love talking to her, which is better than I ever expected. Plus she has a higher sex drive than I do.
>>
>>9968138
My social life provokes reading, as my friends are intellectuals - including the women (if they aren't, then they are women who are attracted to intellectuals, which still provokes further study).
>>
>>9968725
Real shame I can't stand plain women, guess I was never meant to have a girlfriend.
>>
of course not my desire to read dropped off once I moved out of my parents place got a girlfirend and started hanging out with my mates.

Now I only read to educate myself rather than as an act of escapism or desire to experiance the humanity I was lacking before
>>
>>9968138

I read more when my social life is good.
>>
>>9970569

To elaborate, I used to find it easy go to work and read when I came home. I could quite easily sit with my girlfriend, just reading stuff while she was doing other shit that I had no interest in. The feeling of contentment helped reading immensely.

My life is now really fucking boring and I feel a pressing anxiety to always be doing stuff so find reading extremely difficult.
>>
>>9970583
Wow, this is how I feel as well, never realized it

In hindsight, the more content I was with my personal life, the more I read
>>
>>9968386
whatever happened to that anon that was getting whores to read high level /lit/?
>>
>>9968374
It isn't always as bad as he's implying it is, but if you don't see what's wrong with a "neutral point of view" then that's your loss. It effectively claiming that the particular points of view espoused (which can't be helped given that they are choosing to present and omit particular things which are a result of a particular collection of values) possess an objectivity that is impossible in reality, and will try to justify this illusion by avoiding content that they would consider emotional. You'd understand if you'd read things that are explicitly open and upfront about their biases and why engaging in such things allows for a fundamental richness and diversity of knowledge that is otherwise lost in 'neutrality'.
>>
>>9968138

satisfactory social life, in terms of quality that is, has a good effects on my reading and working schedule
>>
>>9968138
like if i had a girlfriend and friends and stuff? almost definitely not... when i did, i didn't read
>>
>>9970601
>>9968355
Give examples of your little theory
>>
>>9968468
>>9968749
>>9970569
>>9970626
this. it might be the case that isolation and struggle in the formative years of my life have promoted my interest in literature and the humanities, but when i'm not socializing with anyone i typically recess into terrible habits like video games, drug abuse, self-loathing, and i generally struggle to maintain a healthy lifestyle that includes hours of everyday study. it's very difficult to want to be alive without those connections.
make some friends who aren't idiots. leave your basement. read in a library. find some balance.
>>
>>9968138
I'd read more, as I wouldn't waste my life on imageboards, arguing with weebs.
>>
>>9968138
But I am satisfied with my social life. I only really want to meet up with people once every few days.
>>
Have a ton of friends, a girlfriend and a healthy relationship with my family and I am reading like never. Guess its just spirit, wanting it.
>>
Probably not. I've read more since I fell out with most of the people who were my friends. I often wish I had more than just a couple people to talk to, but I do like being alone as well.
>>
>>9968138
But I have a really solid social life. I'm a degenerate that smokes and drinks, then I go and read /lit/ memes.

It's not fufilling.
>>
>>9971440
what is not fulfilling? the former, or the latter?
>>
File: big-brain-alien.jpg (113KB, 400x304px) Image search: [Google]
big-brain-alien.jpg
113KB, 400x304px
You should read in order to have a satisfactory life, social and otherwise.
>>
I read a LOT less when I was in a serious relationship. Feels like that's fairly common, especially for people who live together, unless reading is a shared passion.
>>
>>9968348
>everyone is a social leech!
talk about delusion
>>
>>9970763
agreed
during my 'loner' phases I tend to spend hours on end aimlessly browsing the internet rather than burrowing myself in literature
I like being alone but I'm coming to realize I really need to make some friends
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.