[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to believe in God but I can't stop viewing it as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_5348.jpg (388KB, 1499x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5348.jpg
388KB, 1499x2048px
I want to believe in God but I can't stop viewing it as a ploy to control poor people via an Oedipal father complex. How do I stop
>>
Why do you want to believe in God?
>>
>>9967244
try to preserve the shaker movement
>>
Fear death more than you love truth
>>
>>9967250
Find peace? Acknowledge there's something greater? Interest in mysticism?
>>
>>9967244
>poor people
>Oedipal father complex
you just described the christfags infesting the internet.
maybe use your brain more and you won't turn into a massive faggot
>>
>>9967250
Because /lit/ and /pol/ told him not believing in God is super reddit.
>>
Why is it Christianity attracts some of the brightest minds and some of the dimmest? Like I've never met a middlebrow Christian, they're either Dostoevsky tier or a retarded flyover state Protestant
>>
>>9967280
Dunning-Kruger effect? Seems related if not the actual cause.
>>
>>9967280
the smart ones know it's bullshit but use it to exploit the stupid ones and to delude themselves. the latter sounds bad but self-delusion is really just believing in yourself.
>>
>>9967244

read the new testament?
>>
Rene Girard is your guy. There are a lot of critiques of Freud and the oedipal complex but Girard is nice because he says "Freud existing proves me right. His mistake was not going far enough."

He's got a solid critique of Nietzsche as well. In Girard's words, "the greatness of Nietzsche lies not in his being correct, but in him suffering so much to be wrong."
>>
>accepting the idea that there may be a higher power means you have to be a cuck and limit yourself to appease a church that's only 2000 years old
>>
File: 1502503769001.jpg (52KB, 399x464px) Image search: [Google]
1502503769001.jpg
52KB, 399x464px
>>9967273
This. As soon as his opinion isn't the "dominant" one he switches teams so as to not look bad.
>>
Sanātana-dharma is the only true faith
>>
>>9967244
I don't think belief means blindly following authority. I can't comprehend how the latter can be seen as virtue at all.
>>
>>9967414
It shouldn't be.
>Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
>>
>>9967302
in what way does dosto correspond to either of those
>>
>>9967426
he's what smarter christians read.
>>
>>9967364
>>9967273
Contrarianism is unironically the path to salvation
>>
>>9967474
if you call yourself a contrarian you're fucked
>>
>>9967474
I disagree
>>
>>9967474
Diogenes was right
>>
>>9967273
So many christian fedoralords on this boards
>>
>>9967244
> I want to believe in God

I want to believe I'm gonna get rich and fuck super models every day but that isn't going to invalidate all the evidence to the contrary I face every day.
>>
>>9967511
You have evidence that there is no God?
>>
>>9967244
Everything mankind has, especially good things, they always try to turn towards evil.

Hammers are great things, but them some asshole kills another dude with it.

Religion is the same thing, basically a good thing, but it's always been used as a tool of subjugation and evil control. You kind of have to look beyond that, and stick to the actual tenants of any religion in order for it to remain pure, which is what most religions teach and hardly anybody ever listens to them.

Even in a worse case scenario where a religion is completely corrupt, that still doesn't mean there is no god.

Maybe watch Kingdom of Heaven, the directors cut. This actually does touch on a lot of these ideas.
>>
but it is a ploy to control poor people
>>
>>9967514
If you're gonna be a gaylord and argue for a Deistic God who created the initial matter in the universe and fucked off then no. If you're a member of any organized religion then the flaws are self-evident.
>>
>>9967317
This is actually the most useful comment here, I second it, if Freud is his main problem with Christianity.
>>
>>9967561
What does Freud have to do with Christianity at all.
>>
>>9968022
In my OP I said my main problem was that I think it preys on people's need for a father authority because it comforts them that there is some sort of human, comprehensible control in the world. Kind of like conspiracy theorists
>>
Tolstoy was a Christian!
>>
>>9968034
Not true, he was closer to an arian than a christian.
>>
>>9968033
Humanity's need for authority is not Freud's invention. Neither does Freud show any great insight in the matter.
>>
>>9967244
God anticipated the Oedipal complex and structured the universe so that in our most broken state we flock to Him. This is why girls call their lovers Daddy
>>
File: fatima-message-nm.jpg (46KB, 314x450px) Image search: [Google]
fatima-message-nm.jpg
46KB, 314x450px
>>9967244
You should both read theology and examine the long history of the miraculous in the world. You will thus approach the problem of God from both a naturalist and a supernaturalist perspective, and hopefully your twin investigations will meet at the center.
>>
>>9967244
Examine your own Oedipal father complex.
>>
Stop browsing reddit
>>
>>9967491
Wrong. One must be totally contrary to the Antichrist, which all live in, to be saved.
>>9967511
Evidence doesn't exist.
>>
>>9967541
>self-evident
It isn't the 1600-1700s anymore. You need to actually argue your point instead of rely on nonargument.
>>
>>9969436
t. reddit browser
>>
>>9967417
Snakes aren't wise at all. They're not even cunning and they generally don't employ any hunting techniques other than bite thing or strangle thing or both
God the Bible's authors knew so little about the world
>>
File: 1477685190168.jpg (10KB, 193x245px) Image search: [Google]
1477685190168.jpg
10KB, 193x245px
>>9969441
>evidence doesn't exist
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.