[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

examples of authors that were really good that weren't all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

examples of authors that were really good that weren't all that amazing at, or didn't put much focus on poeticism/musicality/style?

pic related, in my opinion, because though he has clear, clean prose, it isn't a perfectly sculpted as the stuff of Joyce or even many lesser writers, like, say, Nabokov. Dostoevsky I think is another example
>>
Well, it's hard to say with a writer in translation. Nabokov and some other Russians have noted that Tolstoy actually did have a certain rhythm in his native language, but that it goes a bit missing in English. Nonetheless, you're right to say that his prose is basically plain.

IMO, he's probably the best example of how ">reading for the prose" is a goddamn meme. Prose has always been a tool to do cool things with, and even the best prose stylists ultimately had great content.
>>
Well, it's a good thing you've read Tolstoy and Dostoevsky in Russian so you're qualified to have this opinion, OP.
>>
>>9965341
I rest easy in the fact that with such a faggy feminine way of speaking, I could easily beat the shit out of you and cuck you in real life. also, I think it's relatively well accepted that these guys weren't exactly stylistic gods
>>
>>9965383
>Tolstoy
>not exactly a stylistic god
About Tolstoy I'm not so sure. It is not the main attraction of his novels, but it is still good. Concerning Dostoyevsky you are probably right. Another Russian example is Solzhenitsyn. Interesting stuff but the guy just could not write.
>>
self consciously poetic style is an overrated aestheticism, sure it's neat when done right, but in hands of Wolfe or later McCarthy it became a turgid abomination
>>9965383
>I think it's relatively well accepted that these guys weren't exactly stylistic gods
in case of Tolstoy, you don't even know how wrong you are, then again you put those >poeticism/musicality/style in one row so it does not surprise me
>>
>>9965261
clean prose is the domain of the airport novel
>>
>>9965477
T. Pleb plebbiton loves the deep symbolism of vronski riding a horse into the ground like he will ride anna, but more sophisticated metaphors and styles escape him. Different strokes for different (mentally incapable and limited tolstoy loving) folks ...
>>
>>9965486
I agree ... but despite the masturbatory excess of Joyce, i think nabokov and dostoevsky were somewhat superior novelists. As novels ulysses and finnegans wake have some shortcomings ... shhhhh .
>>
File: IMG_1362.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1362.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>Tolstoy
>not poetic or musical

Have you even read any Tolstoy anon?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.