[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does it seem like analytic and continental philosophy are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: NietzscheRussell.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
NietzscheRussell.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
Why does it seem like analytic and continental philosophy are so fundamentally intractable? Is the root of the problem that they aren't even asking or trying to answer the same questions?
>>
>>9962114
Philosophical analysis means a very thorough, straightforward and rigorous tackling of problems: analytical literature is almost always didatic and plainly expositive in form. A Nietzschean work, for instance, puts forth its arguments in a way more lateral fashion; literary devices are plenty and the conclusion might be open-ended. This difference in form alone makes it very difficult for analytics and continentals to estabilish a dialogue, with many ensuing accusation of obscurantism, lack of rigour, lack of nuance and positivism. I personally think analytic reads more like science/math than anything, while continental reads like literature. In conclusion, I think the disconnect is more due to the way they ask questions rather than the questions being asked
>>
>>9962203
This... plus the strong dash of autism in many analytical philosophers.
>>
i bet russell put his pipe in his butt
>>
>>9962114
>>9962203

you dont know anything about the contemporary state of philosophy
>>
>>9962409
>it's a "the analytic/continental divide is outdated!" fag

fucking groan
>>
>>
>>9962114
If you compare the extremes, of course they can't be reconciled. Mathematics of Russell has nothing in common with the erratic, bitter philosophy of Nietzsche, but if you compare Kant with the analytics or Aquinas you'll find a lot more ground in common.
>>
>>9962409
>>9962429
The divide is so deep now that almost no analytics and continentals do or can productively interact. They are essentially separate disciplines/fields now.

t. third year grad student attempting to work in both analytic and continental philosophy
>>
>>9962898
I don't much about its intricasies, but, say, the Pittburgh school, namely now mostly Brandom, have some proposal regarding at least a mild form of conversation? An example being his reading of Kant/Hegel (The Spirit of Trust, and some of his other writings, like Reason in Philosophy where he exposes more clearly his views).
I´ve read even in some of Zizek's books, I think it was Dispartities where there's a chapter "Against the renormalization of Hegel" inside of which he shittallks brandom/pippin.
>>
>>9962927
Kant is far enough back that analytics study him, but not that well. They can't really into Hegel, but some try.
>>
>>9962898
Tell me more about yourself please.
>>
>>9962898
Attempting to work in both? Why and how?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.