[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I have some recommendations for books on Catholic/Orthodox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

Can I have some recommendations for books on Catholic/Orthodox mysticism. Preferably if they dwell into some philosophy as well.
>>
L A V R
A
V
R
>>
>>9961912
gonna get on that next week. Is it really Name of the Rose - cyka edition? That sounds great

>>9961909
Maximus the Confessor's works
>>
>>9961912
What is this
>>
>>9961955
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24694092-laurus
>>
The Ladder of Divine Ascent
>>
File: image4.jpg (221KB, 894x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image4.jpg
221KB, 894x1000px
>>9961957
Thanks anon
>>
>>9961912
This is right up my alley. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>9961909
Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross are the most essential mystics of the Catholic Church, but you should also check out Thomas Kempen and The Cloud of Unknowing.
>>
File: boheme9.jpg (197KB, 734x1164px) Image search: [Google]
boheme9.jpg
197KB, 734x1164px
meister eckart
marguerite porete - the mirror of simple souls
jakob bohme - aurora
pseudo dionysus - the divine names
nicholas of cusa - On Learned Ignorance
>>
>>9962205
>The Cloud of Unknowing.
Isn't this only to be read once you're capable of contemplation?
>>
>>9962478
So he says, but I assume someone interested in mysticism will eventually get around it.
>>
>>9962303

i almost feel like i wrote this. freaky. especially porete.

you're a good dude. keep being you bro.
>>
Philokalia but half of it is about not letting demons control you

Also Wisdom of The Desert Fathers is essential
>>
>>9962572
>but half of it is about not letting demons control you
That's my favorite kind of content though.
>>
>>9962594
Well get ready for sixteenhundred pages of it
>>
>>9962614
There's a reason why people like other spiritual writings more. Aside from the spiritual side, Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross were masters of language, in comparison it's almost always crude.
>>
>>9962878
I'm actually enjoying at the moment, I'm currently at St. Neilos' ascetic discourse and he is btfo spiritually false monks and philosophers
>>
>>9963050
Any work in particular of his that you would recommend?
>>
>>9963090
Im just reading his work that's in the Philokalia, I'm not sure what else he's written
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.