[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /lit/, I'm stuck with this thought right now, this question..

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1465334027377.jpg (906KB, 1443x1039px) Image search: [Google]
1465334027377.jpg
906KB, 1443x1039px
Hi /lit/,
I'm stuck with this thought right now, this question.. Who is "me"?
Is it my physical body? Is it my mind, my cognitive abilities? Is it the memories? Is it my thoughts? What is being?
Let's assume I have a severe accident at this moment and I lose my memories completely, did I just die? I mean, I still have my physical body but every thing else is gone.
Are there any books for what I'm describing?
Sorry for the autism.
>>
>>9959503
That is meta-physics my friend.

I recommend Schopenhauer because I'm reading him right now but you might want to look to Descarte's, cognito ergo sum...or "I think therefore I am".

Many loops in his theory however it is a great starting point for that metaphysical question of what defines "I"
>>
>>9959574
Thanks anon.
>>
>>9959503
You going deep anon. Keep going lad.
Try Descarte's, like >>9959574 said.
But if you wanna go in another classic, people say Heidegger is a very famous in metaphysics of the self.
>>
I think it's kind of indescribable

imo it's not a 'thing' like an object you could investigate with science

it's like an arrow not beig able to shoot at itself

all of our perceptions have as their nature this 'sensation' of 'being sensed by me', 'known to me', al the world is relativised to the self, and yet we also experience the world as being both an extesion of oneself, and extending beyond oneself
>>
>>9959574
>Cognito
>>
>>9959503
Start off with Descartes' Meditations (https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/descartes-epistemology/) and maybe ease into some Kant, who goes into personhood. I watched an interesting talk on the latter, where we project ourselves into the future and past in order to be a person. Once we can do neither, we're no longer the same person. There's always Heidegger for the Being question.

There's also cognitive science you can dabble into.
>>
>>9959503
your "I" is a rather arbitrary distinction

essentially you're a part of the totality of everything, where you draw the lines is up to "you"

"me" is what your "me" chooses to define itself as, which sounds fucking stupid, but once you get into the mode of thought deeply enough, you'll notice it's the only somewhat logical conclusion

wew
>>
>>9959503
Here's my two cents without knowing shit about modern philosophy:

Your natural mind works separately from your conscience mind. Your conscience can override the natural mind once you realize that 'you' are in control. Most people live their lives in a state of natural mind, never stopping to question why they do things in the first place.

Your thoughts are an entity that only you yourself can bear witness to. It's tragic yet wondrous to contemplate.

Appreciate the fact that your conscience might
just be a side-effect to intelligence. You'll eventually come to appreciate the miracle of being born an intelligent being. Being in a state of constant existentialism will make you realize just how crazy everything around you is.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.