[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>hanging out with my roommates group of friends in our apartment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1500420986144.png (21KB, 200x194px) Image search: [Google]
1500420986144.png
21KB, 200x194px
>hanging out with my roommates group of friends in our apartment
>they start talking about some new harry potter books that are supposed to come out
>he brings up that I've read Moby Dick
>"Is that book as good as they say Anon? I thought it would be boring like every other old book people talk about."

How do we alleviate the fears of these people who hear how "difficult" certain books are so they avoid the medium altogether?
>>
File: alex.jpg (32KB, 431x300px) Image search: [Google]
alex.jpg
32KB, 431x300px
Pic related is the only way
>>
>>9957887
He read something with "dick" in it. Whatta fag.
>>
Congratulations, Anon, you intellectual titan, Top Notch. Great work. You have successfully elevated yourself above your peers. May I join you in a deep belly laugh as we point our self-congratulatory fingers at the serfs? Oh, God, no, there's a spot in the center of your back that you haven't managed to pat yet, would you like me to pat it for you?
>>
>>9957887
do you guys really think that Moby Dick is that great? I've nothing against 'old books', but I didn't like that scientific essay style of every other chapter in the book. Didn't read it in English, though
>>
>>9958047
Well I read it because i was interested in whaling(how it worked in that time etc) so I liked it quite a lot:^)
>>
>>9957887
>"Is that book as good as they say Anon? I thought it would be boring like every other old book people talk about."

Fucking god.
>>
>>9958823
some things were actually interesting, for example when he claims whales to be fish. Not too stupid imo
>>
"Nah, it's not really that bad if you care anything about reading."
>>
>>9957887
"It's a little dry at times, but it's actually really great once you get into it. It starts off with him going stir crazy and talking about running down the street and slapping people's hats off. Before I started reading them, I thought the same thing, but a lot classics are actually surprisingly accessible and funny. If you want, I could recommend you some easy ones to test the waters."
>>
Read this excerpt and you tell me if it lives up to hype.

lulled into such an opium-like listlessness of vacant, unconscious reverie is this absent-minded youth by the blending cadence of waves with thoughts, that at last he loses his identity; takes the mystic ocean at his feet for the visible image of that deep, blue, bottomless soul, pervading mankind and nature; and every strange, half-seen, gliding, beautiful thing that eludes him; every dimly-discovered, uprising fin of some undiscernible form, seems to him the embodiment of those elusive thoughts that only people the soul by continually flitting through it. In this enchanted mood, thy spirit ebbs away to whence it came; becomes diffused through time and space; like Crammer’s sprinkled Pantheistic ashes, forming at last a part of every shore the round globe over.

There is no life in thee, now, except that rocking life imparted by a gentle rolling ship; by her, borrowed from the sea; by the sea, from the inscrutable tides of God. But while this sleep, this dream is on ye, move your foot or hand an inch; slip your hold at all; and your identity comes back in horror. Over Descartian vortices you hover. And perhaps, at midday, in the fairest weather, with one half-throttled shriek you drop through that transparent air into the summer sea, no more to rise for ever. Heed it well, ye Pantheists!
>>
>>9958868
"haha no thanks anon, that sounds boring"
>>
>>9958887
"well, if you change your mind, I got you covered! haha!"
>>
>>9957921
but can they still slooshy that wonderful Beethoven? What about the ol' in and out?
>>
>>9958897
: Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!
>>
>>9958872
why is melville the greatest english writer
>>
>>9958963
Because he read everything, and the whale ship was his Yale College and his Harvard
>>
>>9958872
>dude oceans lmao
Yawn.
>>
File: thom_yorke-gal-dads.jpg (42KB, 431x300px) Image search: [Google]
thom_yorke-gal-dads.jpg
42KB, 431x300px
>>9959040
OK pleb
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.