[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just read oedipus the king, is it worth reading the other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 231513672.jpg (123KB, 1200x604px) Image search: [Google]
231513672.jpg
123KB, 1200x604px
just read oedipus the king, is it worth reading the other two theban plays?
>>
Did you enjoy it?

Y/ Yes
N/ No
>>
>>9954717
Why the fuck are you asking us
>>
>>9954717
Of course. Antigone in particular is very good
>>
>>9954735
ew stop with that milquetoast nonsense

>>9954717
the answer is yes. all three are inimitable masterpieces of world literature. Oedipus at Colonus tends to get overlooked but it totally stacks up to Antigone and Oedipus Rex
>>
>>9955024
You are a very silly person
>>
>>9955027
>just, like, do whatever makes you feel good! :) thats it dont talk about anything or whatever shhhh
>>
>>9955041
Attitudes like yours are one of the major reasons why this board is so awful
>>
>>9955043
And for what reasons exactly is this board awful? Because not enough people are just, like, totally nice and uninquisitive and unimpulsive and uncritical and just totally do whatever makes them feel good?

Newsflash, intellectual inquiry isnt always about what you like. The best discoveries in literature and elsewhere are going to manifest themselves outside of what you think you like. Grow up.
>>
>>9955071
Your assumptions are very petty
>>
Yes, of course you should read the other two.
>>9955024
>Oedipus at Colonus tends to get overlooked but it totally stacks up to Antigone and Oedipus Rex
Been years since I read the trilogy, but it's sad that Oedipus at Colonus is the least talked about in the trilogy because imo it's the most emotionally potent one in the trilogy, whatever that means.
Semi-related: I think Aeschylus's Oresteia is better. I prefer the inescapable fatalism aspect of Aeschylus's tragedy to the social-more-breaking aspect of the tragedies that are Oedipus the King and Antigone.
>>
>>9954717
Yes, very much so. I liked Antigone the least out of the three, but maybe that's because I read then at different times, in different translations. Which translation would you gentlemen recommend?
>>
>>9957240
If you've already read Antigone before, try reading Anne Carson's Antigonick. It's different. And she's awesome.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.