[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how are this guy's ideas compelling to anyone? how does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_4069.jpg (24KB, 620x344px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4069.jpg
24KB, 620x344px
how are this guy's ideas compelling to anyone? how does a prestigious institute pay him to teach?
>>
>>9952646

Peter "if she's a vegetable rape isn't morally questionable" Singer.

I honestly don't know. I think it is sort of hilarious that you have an entire ethical system which claims superiority to other ethical systems by being easily applicable, based on some sort of quantificational system that no one has bothered to put any thought into.

In thought experiments so constructed that they verge on parody, such as torture one guy and save millions from nuclear annihilation, utilitarianism is intuitive. In any real moral situation/dilemma, I haven't seen anyone give serious thought as to the method of quantification needed to act in a utilitarian way.
>>
I walked past peter singer 3 years ago, I still remember it as if it happened yesterday.
I turned around, thinking, is that THE Peter Singer and lo and behold it was! I tried to listen to his conversation, presumably with a post grad student for about 5 minutes by walking quietly behind them but I had uni classes that I needed to attend to.
It was very interesting.
I wanted to say hello.
>>
>>9952646
>how are this guy's ideas compelling to anyone
They aren't, the guy had a embarrassingly low attendance rate for his courses at one of the most liberal colleges in the world that half-way through the academic term he regularly goes travelling to foreign countries to interview with literally nobodies.
>>
File: 1492942100854.jpg (257KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1492942100854.jpg
257KB, 1600x1200px
>>9952646
praise abortion = women and providers love it
praise veganism = women love it
>>
This fellow is woke on abortion and euthanasia but cucked on animal rights
>>
>>9952646

Anyone got that quick rundown?

All I know is he's that animal rights vegan philosophy guy, right?
>>
nerd friend was attending his lectures at Melbourne uni and didn't even realise he was like an important guy or whatever. just casually mentions he's being lectured by some "peter something guy". sort of wanted to drop in but forgot about it.

despite being a vegetarian since my childhood i've never really been compelled to touch up on him. its probably his strange utilitarian doom 2 revenant vibe that puts me off. the lamest concentration camp doctor in the whole cell block.

a catholic life with a bit of a st francis bent has much more appeal to me. like a deep, yet clear and abundant wellspring. i admire the catholic reverence of life, yet find catholics sometimes turns toward mechanical, blase teleology. oh abortion of animals doesnt matter and is 100% licit and not even really subject to much grave consideration. schopenhauer was right about christianity's moral blindspot.
>>
>>9952805
>infanticide is a moral good
>eco-terrorists did nothing wrong
>Let me lecture you on religion, no I haven't read the Bible, studied theology or religious philosophy
>But I found this lesbian Western Buddhist who claims to be ordained by a sect who hasn't ordained women in several hundred years that agrees with me
>>
>>9952690

praise abortion = people who care about freedom and fundamental human rights love it.

There isn't one good argument against abortion, not one. JJ Thomson ended this debate everywhere in the western world but america half a century ago, only because Americans still have a raging boner for their pseudochristianity did it not end there.
>>
File: philippa-f.jpg (46KB, 351x500px) Image search: [Google]
philippa-f.jpg
46KB, 351x500px
>>9952836
*blocks your path*
>>
File: Girls.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>9952836
t. degenerate
Also "human rights"
>>
File: IMG_4033.jpg (54KB, 301x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4033.jpg
54KB, 301x451px
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.