[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does "spoil" account for both The worst and for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1215.jpg (60KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1215.jpg
60KB, 500x333px
Why does "spoil" account for both
The worst and for the best?

i.e.
That food is spoiled
&
Tonight i'm gonna spoil you he whispered to the girl.
>>
>>9952017
you are the spoils of war and is about to be raped
>>
>>9952024
I don't understand
>>
Sometimes words have more than one definition.
>>
>>9952030
I can't think of another with opposite definitions
>>
>>9952017
Pretty simple desu. You can think of it as spoil as in the Latin "to rob", or spoil as in to give the thing that was taken. So if it spoils something is taken from it,while if it is poiled something is given to it. Works in both respects, just depends on context
>>
>>9952108
The verb 'cleave' can mean to split something in two, or to stick two things together.
>>
>>9952108
nonplussed means that someone has been rattled, or unaffected. Since I used to learn most new vocab by context, nonplussed confused me for years.
>>
>>9952126
Didn't know it had latin roots
>>
>>9952162
Yeh, that's one of those Americanisms where they change the meaning of something entirely. Like when they say they "could care less" to imply that they could not, in fact, care less.
>>
>>9952174
"Didn't do nothing"

or something weird like making ask into "aks"
>>
>>9952108
there's a place in Plato where he takes the word "difficult" as an example. Good things are difficult (demanding) / bad things are difficult (annoying).
Interesting remark by OP, btw.
>>
>>9952017
I think when you say you're spoiling someone, even though you're referring to providing them with positive treatment, the spoil means you are going to make them bad by giving them too much positive attention. It's the same usage as when people complain about a child being spoiled. So while the act of spoiling someone describes a good action, the word by word meaning retains the negative connotation.
>>
>>9952621
Pretty much this, the implication is really that by indulging someone you're "spoiling" their character (but that's okay perhaps because you love them/want them to depend on you). I've always felt like it was the kind of phrase you'd use if you were trying to say something cute
>>
>>9952017

In your cases it isn't contradictory. "Spoiling" and being "spoiled" is to ruin someone's character by being too good to them.

I thought this >>9952024 came closer, but apparently, spoils of war is equivalent to the plunder of war, so it still has the ruinous connotations.

>>9952108

The internet in particular has ruined the word "literally" forever, making it mean both "accurately and without exaggeration" to "very nearly and virtually".
>>
Jesus you people are stupid to not know what a contronym is
>>
>>9952660
But the verb "to spoil" is really not that
>>
>>9952024
>you is
>not you are

hello, sir
>>
>>9952654
Spoils of war is an episode on GOT
>>
>>9952017
>Tonight i'm gonna spoil you he whispered to the girl.
the target takes it as an endearing remark but the perpetrator intends he will be ruinous to the target
just slave culture things
>>
>>9952030
Yeah, right.
>>
>>9953785
More like: The perpetrator intends he will be ruinous to the target but the target has already had BBC. So Chad will just be a let-down.
>>
>>9953785
That is NOT what the perpetrator intends in the slightest
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.