[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it actually good? why or why not? sorry to be a pleb, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Is it actually good? why or why not? sorry to be a pleb, but it seems pretty boring
>>
>it seems pretty boring
You're not old or intelligent enough to read Victorian literature yet, so I'd just wait :)
>>
Is she actually better than contemporaries like Thackeray or Trollope or do people just praise her because she's female?
>>
>>9951541
hoohoohoo got meh!
>>
>>9951567
She's predicted Freud and Modernism in Middlemarch (or rather predicted Freud and shaped modernism)

None of her contemps are comparable.
>>
>>9951583
She predicted a coked up Jew obsessed with sex?
>>
>>9951541
fuck off
>>
>>9951531
If you're not interested in pure human insight it's gonna be boring, I guess. Quite possibly my favourite book. There's nothing comparable with Eliot when it comes to understanding the human spirit.
>>9951567
There's a bunch of people that doesn't even know she's a woman. I don't think anyone can compare to her, sincerely.
>>
was forced to read this book for a course on close reading. needless to say, no one in the class was happy about reading an 800 page book from over 100 years ago for a mandatory course that's supposed to be more of a supplementary, skills-based course than a homework factory.

that is - until we read the book.

the shift in classroom participation was astounding when we were only a hundred pages in. the characters eliot created in this masterpiece are some of the most lively, interesting, and tragically flawed in the entire canon. while i would not call it my favourite book, i could easily call it the best english-language book of all time.

if you're looking for an exhilarating plot, you won't find it here. the plot itself is extremely interesting and its slow unfolding throughout the novel is masterfully executed. what you will find in this book is smart (read: genius) socio-political commentary, a proliferation of perspectives and ideas and characters which borders on the epic tradition, and a gripping read which brings you along for this strange, slow ride that you will remember for years and years to come.
>>
>>9951567
It's one of the greatest novels in the English language.
>>
What about "The Mill on the Floss"?
>>
>>9951531
>womeme
no, never again
>>
anyone has the broadview edition? I read it has illustrations relevant to the novel
>>
BEADY
>>
File: content.jpg (6KB, 128x197px) Image search: [Google]
content.jpg
6KB, 128x197px
Anyone here has read Daniel Deronda? Where should I continue with Eliot?
>>
>>9951567
Eliot was a fucking powerhouse, artistically and intellectually. Dont look her over.
>>
>>9954340
Daniel Deronda is lit af. Narratively, eliot pretty consciously fucks with you, though. The trajectory of the two main characters will upset/exhilarateyou, depending on the kind of reader you are. Read eliots late essay The Modern Hep Hep Hep as context if youre interested
>>
>>9951567
One time Henry James tried to visit her and she didnt even know who the fuck he was, disrespected the shit out of him. Literally had no time for him. Take that for what you will, but i think its indicative of her being utterly legit
>>
>>9954459
Wasn't Henry James a friend of hers? Or am I mistaken with another writer?
>>9954440
Nice. "Conciously fucks with you" and "will upset you" sounds right up my alley. Can't wait to read it. Also, thanks for the essay rec
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.