[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does anyone on /lit/ have any interest in forming a reading group

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

does anyone on /lit/ have any interest in forming a reading group for Habermas' /Theory of Communicative Action/? I've floated the idea in the past.
>>
>>9951290
I'm willing to attempt a reading if I can find a copy online. I've got a couple other books I want to finish first. I read three to four books at once, any given time.
>>
Absolutely
>>
>>9951297
>>9951530

All right. Whaddya say we start right now?

Let's set a specific and doable timeframe for reading the first one hundred pages. I can vouch for the below link being a faithful English version of the text:

http://www.bibotu.com/books/Philosophy/Habermas,%20Jurgen%20-%20The%20theory%20of%20communicative%20action%20-%20Vol.1.pdf

I propose Monday, September 4, a /lit/ thread as a general book group discussion for the first one hundred pages of the text.
>>
>>9951558
Sounds good anon
>>
Habermas is one of those dudes I have absolutely no interest in reading whatsoever.
>>
>>9951608

That's cool, so you can just hide the threads and not look at them.

>>9951588

How about a mid-week general as well, so we keep on pace and get things off on the right foot?
>>
Of course I am in, and I read it before, my MA thesis was about Habermas.
>>
>>9951619

Volume 2 appears to be denser and harder. Would you recommend a slower pace for that volume?

Do you have any ideas to make this a useful activity with multiple participants?

Is reading Habermas worthwhile? What do you you know of criticisms of Habermas?
>>
>>9951616
So Friday/Saturday then?
>>
>>9951655

I incline more towards thurs-fri, to get some 50 pages read by serious anons and keep going, and also to explicate general motivation for discussion.

There is pretty clearly an interest among 2-5 anons ITT but if there's real interest, then I want to get follow-through gratification on this by having been through the thing with a group. My proposed vehicle for follow-through is continued /lit/ threads, and not continuing discussion elsewhere. This, because /lit/ is a board that I actually regularly use, and also because I've noticed other "reading group" ideas along similar lines which although to their credit I never followed up with them with any seriousness (Capital V1 was proposed by an anon a few months ago, there was a general intent to book-group Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations by someone else which might have turned into something but I haven't noticed it sticking here). For myself, actually using /lit/ as the vehicle would keep me honest, if there is sufficient interest. I entertained this idea some months ago and I feel up to it but moreso if there's people to talk with.
>>
>>9951636
I would recommend slower pace from the start 1-2 chapters a week, (40-70 pages).

For multiple participants it may be good if someone read something additional - Weber, Piaget, Toulmin and try to defend their positions against Habermas text.

For criticism, I find Benhabib "Reason, norm, and utopia" from chapter 7 most interesting.

There are also great anthologies: "Habermas and Modernity", "Communicative Action: Essays on Jürgen Habermas's The Theory of Communicative Action", "Habermas: a Critical Reader"
>>
How my ch background knowledge is required to make sense of it?
>>
>>9951702
Marx, classics of sociology (Weber is a must-read, Parsons), main tradition of German social philosophy with emphasis on Kant, Lukacs, Adorno
>>
Have you all read Capital? Reason and Revolution? The Protestant Ethic? Negative Dialectics? Have you all studied up on the positivism dispute? Are you familiar with the role Freud plays in German sociological theory of the mid 20th century? Do you know what dialectics means? How it differs from positivism? Have studied up on systems theory? Do you have an idea of cybernetics? A theory of ideology? Are you at all prepared to read this difficult text?
>>
>>9951702

By skimming through volume 1 (the complete work is two volumes) it seems that what you ideally want is a general background in 19th-20th European history, Marxist ideas and sociology. The back-notes especially cite Weber, Durkheim and other European sociologists in the tradition.

Actually reading all of this entails an immense grounding in European history and philosophy, much of which I don't have, yet quite frankly I have enough confidence in my personal education to make sense of the text, having actually skimmed some of it - hence my boldness with suggesting a reading group. It's a meme that I want to actually read and have discussed with others.

This goes to personal motivation - Simply, I want to read it /because it's there/, and because it's also a way to get more context on European thinkers and history.
>>
>>9951720

lol I am, I read and know all of this xD (well I have read Habermas already too)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.