[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: recommend a book to your 16 year-old self pic related,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

File: 8117HB7WbvL.jpg (303KB, 1400x2092px) Image search: [Google]
8117HB7WbvL.jpg
303KB, 1400x2092px
ITT: recommend a book to your 16 year-old self

pic related, wish i would have stopped being an edgy atheist a few years earlier
>>
Is it Dostoyevsky or Dostoevsky?

We need to end this debate once and for all
>>
Might is Right
>>
Whenever I think of the past, I see many mistakes. But I cannot imagine myself differently from how I am now.
>>
Nothing, desu. The past me was infinitely better than the current me.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (25KB, 220x325px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
25KB, 220x325px
This one
>>
Good book, but atheism is the only logical position.
>>
>>9949064
>dostojewski
>>
>>9949157
Dostoîevski himself seems to admit that atheism is more rational (during the debate between Ivan and Alyosha, the latter has no arguments to refute Ivan's thesis) but he uses his characters to show that a religious life is the best option
>>
>>9949064
It's Дocтoéвcкий, you can transliterate it whichever way you prefer.
>>
>>9949196
"Doctobekynya"
>>
>>9949195

Romanian?
>>
>>9949064
Dostoblyat
>>
>>9949195
But belief isn't a choice, and one couldn't rationally believe in theistic religion.
>>
>>9949064
Dostoumberbatch if i am not mistaken
>>
That novel is edgy atheism, though. Dostoyevsky wasn't Christian.
>>9949195
Logic is for simple-minded children.
>>
>>9949046
Edgy agnostic or edgy theist is better than edgy atheist?
>>
or, how i learned to start worrying and hate the jews
>>
>>9949239
>Logic is for simple-minded children.
Christfags, everyone.
>>
>>9949239
>wasn't Christian
>final words out of his mouth are of God's
nice
>>
>>9949972

>>9949972
Triggered child.
>>9949978
>heretic
>God's word
The Logos is only revealed to those with the Spirit.
>>
Thus Spake Zarathustra

I could've avoided 4 years of crippling depression
>>
>>9949234
Dostoplebsky
>>
>>9949046
Phaedo or The Apology. There's no teacher like Plato.
>>
>>9949239
>started AND stopped with the Grand Inquisitor
>>
>>9949046
>wish i would have stopped being an edgy atheist a few years earlier

Sounds like you still have a lot of growing up to do, squire. For a start, stop throwing around terms like 'edgy atheist'. Sure, atheism is the dominant thought in mainstream academia. And Christianity has a stronghold in certain parts of the US, like Islam does in the middle east and Buddhism does in South East Asia. But theology isn't a badge to wear, it isn't a vehicle for bragging, you're not scoring any brownie points for supporting the intellectual underdog, you just come off as immature and a little insecure. Try being yourself. Try leaving religion out of identity politics. Cant you enjoy a wonderful book like TBK without having to gain a counterfeit superiority for identifying as a theist and belittling "edgy atheists"?
>>
>>9949064
dostolstoysbetterski
>>
>>9950234
>atheism is the dominant thought in mainstream academia
you meant agnosticism, right?
>>
>>9949064

ドクタージェットスキー
>>
>>9950234
HOW DARE SOMEBODY BE CONFIDENT IN THEIR BELIEFS LOL IM A NIHILIST BRO
>>
>>9949046
Dostoyevsky was a Christian atheist
>>
File: meditations.jpg (547KB, 1518x2333px) Image search: [Google]
meditations.jpg
547KB, 1518x2333px
>>9949046
Meditations
>>9949064
Frodo Smyth
>>
>>9949207
>not Aoctoebcknn
>>
>>9950299
>meditations
You're 17, then?
>>
>>9950293
>Dostoyevsky
>atheist

Your 16-year-old self will want to start with Cather in the Rye first. Maybe we'll try Dosto again when you turn 17
>>
Tbqh, I probably wouldn't have read a lot of the books that I've enjoyed in the past 3-4 years due to taste or lack of time.

The Unabomber manifesto probably would've been good at 16, though. It might have made me less of a techno-geek, which ultimately caused me to be a loser. If I couldn't rely on tech, I would've had to actually try in the real world, which may have given me a better understanding of my faults sooner rather than later.
>>
>>9950849
He was though.
>>
>>9950899
You've got to be baiting
>>
File: penguin.jpg (184KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
penguin.jpg
184KB, 500x750px
maybe this? i remember understanding women more when i read that book
>>
>>9949196
>>9949064
>Doctoévckyy
>>
>>9949046
>wish i would have stopped being an edgy atheist a few years earlier
>gonna use the brothers k, a story that constructs itself deliberately to suit christianity, to bash atheism

Twat
>>
>>9950299
>reddit
>>
>>9950299
not a bad book but he repeats himself 5/6 times in a 120 page book. Basically read the tao te ching for a nicer version
>>
>>9949046
>Books make me immediately change my take on life
Why?
>>
>>9949215
in romana scriem Dostoievski
>>
>>9949064
Dosto-chan
>>
>>9949239
>logic is for simple minded children
So this is the true nature of religion.
>>
>>9950284
For a board dedicated to literature there sure are a lot of people lacking in reading comprehension.
>>
The Iliad
For an earlier start
>>
>>9949046
Kant.
I avoided him for years because I read Nietzsche as an edgy teen and Nietzsche said Kant was boring.

On a related note, how doesn't everybody read Dosto and Nietzsche when they are fifteen?

>>9949103
When I was 20 I used to think that the 15-year-old me was way smarter. If you feel you are growing dumber every year you are doing something wrong.
>>
>>9953505
>Nietzsche said Kant was boring.
Well, he wasn't wrong.
>>
>>9953505
>When I was 20 I used to think that the 15-year-old me was way smarter. If you feel you are growing dumber every year you are doing something wrong.

I'm definitely smarter now, but I'm much more autistic too.
>>
>>9949064
It's Dostoyevskij in a literal transliteration.
>>
>>9949064
Dosztojevszkij
>>
>>9950299
I actually regret reading this at age 15/16, I misinterpreted it and became an edgy pseud for a year or so.
>>
>>9953505
Everyone pretends to understand Nietzsche when they're an edgy teenager, because the rebellious and vaguely empowering quotes they hear on r/atheism are appealing.
And as much as everyone loves to e-stat their intelligence, I doubt most 15 year olds could make it through Beyond Good and Evil, much less fully understand it.
>>
>>9950299
Why is everybody slamming Marcus Arelius' private thoughts? Just because it's not as concise as a Buzzfeed article doesn't mean it wasn't a revolutionary piece of philosophy and literature.
>>
>>9954764
Nietzsche was spot on with his critique of the stoics. Claiming to live in accordance with the natural way means either living in brutal chaos or redefining nature in your own arbitrary way. Doesn't help that "dude just ignore life's hardships" was coming from a beloved emperor with limitless wealth and power.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.