[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT post a subject matter and anons respond with the best authors/books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 19

File: NINE.jpg (51KB, 541x379px) Image search: [Google]
NINE.jpg
51KB, 541x379px
ITT post a subject matter and anons respond with the best authors/books concerning that subject matter
>>
that gay shit
>>
Anybody know a book where a character falls into fantasy land and saves it, but the book handles AFTER he gets back and nobody knows why he has crippling PTSD and he can't tell anybody?

Because whoo boy, do I have a hard on for a book where a character falls into fantasy land and saves it, but the book handles AFTER he gets back and nobody knows why he has crippling PTSD and he can't tell anybody.
>>
Systems Biology
Topological modeling
>>
>>9948534

the closest I can think are ''Slaughterhouse 5'' by Vonnegot and ''No Longer Human'' by Osamu Dazai, bu they're both more to do mostly with PTSD
>>
>>9948544
eh, I've read slaughterhouse 5 and No Longer Human is on my to read list, but neither are quite what I'm looking for.
>>
>>9948517

JAMES
BALDWIN
>>
Pure confusion. Books that you felt like were just made for confusion, like finnegans wake. But I want something even more of a shitpost than that.
>>
File: 1445014459890.jpg (63KB, 400x325px) Image search: [Google]
1445014459890.jpg
63KB, 400x325px
Artificial Intelligence. Already expecting dozens of people saying Bostrom.
>>
>>9948626
Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra - the author known as "4chan".
>>
>>9948626

Naked Lunch
>>
>>9948630

where can I actually buy this?
>>
>>9948626
Satan Burger
>>
>>9948626
Howl, by Allen Ginsberg. Les Champs magnétiques by André Breton and Philippe Soupault.
>>
>>9948627
Giles Goat-boy. In most all respects.
>>
>>9948626
De Chirico's Hebdomeros
>>
>>9948517
my diary desu
>>
File: IMG_2854.jpg (243KB, 1000x741px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2854.jpg
243KB, 1000x741px
>>9948512
Recommend me a book to prep for college level calculus
Bonus: any interesting and helpful math books (especially mindfuck ones)
>>
>>9948512
I came to /lit/ for this very reason, I want to find the literature equivalent of the following:

Groundhog Day, Majora's Mask, and Tatami Galaxy are three entirely different stories, created through entirely different artistic mediums, with entirely different narrative structures. The key element of each of these is that they are all stories about repeating the same day/3 days/2 years, but even the purpose of the time travel in those stories are all different. In Groundhog, the protagonist is trapped in the loop and can't escape it. In Majora, the protagonist has 3 days to save the world from an apocalyptic event, and in Tatami Galaxy, the point is to show how the characters would interact with eachother if they had chosen a different path in their life. All of these try to take advantage of the unique traits of their chosen medium in order to further create a unique experience.

What novel, poem, or anything written, uses the same core premise as these three, but take full advantage of the written medium and are completely different in every other way?
>>
>>9948660
Didn't even find a pdf anywhere, you'll have more luck with hypersphere.
>>
>>9948660
How are you going to explain to normies why you spent actual money on a book about semen and lizard Dakota Fanning written by the literature board of a right-wing extremist Filipino finger-painting website
Also, check amazon.
>>
>>9949472
>Didn't even find a pdf anywhere
Are you trolling.
>>
MBTI
>>
I'm watching The Mist (tv) right now and I know it's based off a Stephen King book, but I don't trust King to not have it be an awful ending.

Any books like it?
>>
Feeling a void where there used to be something completly fundamental for your soul and now not feeling the escential little light that could somehow reveal something worth doing. If I ask myself, what do I really want? There is no answer.
What are some books about this?
>>
>>9948660
Here you go, anon
https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Totalitarianism-Tundra-post-ironic-spook-concious-ebook/dp/B00NJZ17AK
>>
Has anyone here fucked around with semantics?

I don't have the remaining credit hours left to be able to fit in a semantics course, so I'd like to teach myself.
>>
Some good guide on self dick sucking?
>>
>>9949928
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9wzX1Jc73I
>>
>>9948627
Artificial Intelligence: A modern Approach - Russell and Norvig
>>
>>9949498
A whole life- Robert Seethaler, best I could think of
>>
schizophrenia or mental illness in general
>>
File: dik suk.jpg (64KB, 471x700px) Image search: [Google]
dik suk.jpg
64KB, 471x700px
>>9949481

the same way I explain I spent money on a book about dick sucking corpses
>>
>>9948534
Sword Art Online desu
>>
>>9949467
Tatami Galaxy novel that anime is based on.
>>
>>9950029
How good is this book actually? Worth buying a copy for further research?
>>
File: 1494003551586.jpg (83KB, 736x981px) Image search: [Google]
1494003551586.jpg
83KB, 736x981px
>>9949453
Stewart calculus if you're a plebeian
principles of mathematical analysis if you're a patrician
>>
File: 1502240660452.png (344KB, 576x467px) Image search: [Google]
1502240660452.png
344KB, 576x467px
This is tough for me to admit. But I am quite a jaded 25 year old who feels I have too many facts and not enough experience. Like Good Will Hunting with a broken heart thrown in.

People say I always appear lost in my thoughts. Tall order, but what do you guys recommend will open my mind a bit?
>>
>>9950645
>The Bell Jar
>Mrs Dalloway
I don't think they're exactly about schizophrenia, but definately MI.
>>
File: 1389015541046.gif (1MB, 1183x1578px) Image search: [Google]
1389015541046.gif
1MB, 1183x1578px
How to rid the world of non-whites.
>>
>>9949700
http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/semantics-and-pragmatics/lexical-semantics?format=PB&isbn=9780521276436#TEC36sS0Rm8YYMV3.97
>>
>>9951372
Read Dostoevsky
>>
>>9948512
Revenge and/or escaping from jail
I've read the count of monte christo
>>
>>9951438
Thanks a lot.

Have you worked with this book yourself?
>>
>>9951372
Moby Dick?

I also want this
>>
>>9951449

Seems interesting, any in particular such as Crime and Punishment, or the Idiot
>>
>>9948616
I got you pham just give me a few years.
>>
>>9948534
If I wrote this would you rather have two separate parts or one interwoven narrative that joxtaposes both times?
>>
>>9952695
Juxtaposes*
>>
File: 1503748291935.gif (966KB, 400x255px) Image search: [Google]
1503748291935.gif
966KB, 400x255px
self improvement
>>
Damn y'all are some boring ass people who need to get laid
>>
>>9952681
no problem dude

>>9952695
Both are good. I've dabbled with the idea myself, and attempt 1 was a non linear mess that slowly coalesces into him getting back home. Just in concept, of course. Second was the kid living in the normal world, and having flashbacks of his fantasy adventure, so the reader has to cobble together what happened. I kinda liked that one more, but I'm not picky.
>>
>>9952695
Not that anon, but the juxtaposed narratives could be interesting. You could show a traumatic event that happened to him in the fantasy world, and then the next bit could be him coping with the effects that event left on his psyche and so on.
>>
>>9948517
Start with the Greeks. Then boyos like Wilde, Gide, Mishima, Genet, Mann, etc.
>>9948626
Look up Kenji Siratori.
>>9951429
The Turner Diaries
>>9950645
I don't know if it's any good or not, but NYBR has a book called The Three Christs of Ypsilanti, about a particular experiment and case study on schizophrenia. Also, I can't really speak for its literary quality, but I read some of a book called Brain Lock, about obsessive-compulsive disorder and CBT treatment. Has a lot of interesting stories mixed in. I know they also consulted the author for the film The Aviator.
>>9949498
Film: Visit to a Museum
Misleading title, by the way.
>>
>>9952716
>>9952713
I'm actually gonna start writing this and credit "that guy who wanted a book like this"

Working title: "A Life Left Behind"
>>
>>9952875
aww, thanks!
make a post when it's out and I'll make sure to pick up a copy
>>
>>9948512
Russian history from the October Revolution to the dissolution of the Soviet Union.
>>
Memes
>>
>>9952706
Bible
>>
Autism
>>
>>9952879
This is what I have right now:

A group of 12 year olds--each living in less than satisfactory homes--play with their new friend they found in the forest and beg him to take them to his home. Despite his warning that returning could be impossible, they agree that any other life is better. Only two return "a few seconds later" having lived many years, haunted by what they saw and did. They are unable to prove their story was anything more than a dream, while their fragmented visions slowly make more and more sense.

Thirteen years later a man visits the grave of his friend on the tenth anniversary of her suicide, struggling to keep his promise to her to live a normal life for all of them, and begins to look for something to hold onto, eventually discovering a talent for talking. His work with children in inner city schools has been praised for his ability to reach into the hearts of those thought too far gone, but he abandons it after a rather harrowing flashback to study different forms of meditation and coping practice from around the world.
>>
BVMP
>>
>>9948517

SERIOUSLY>>9948621 - Giovanni's Room
Also confessions of a mask, death in venice, the persian boy, and a thirsty evil
>>
>>9952710
yes
>>
>>9948512
books about characters with gigantic egos
>>
>>9949453
Advanced calculus loomis
>>
>>9949467
Strange Life of Ivan Osokin, by P.D. Ouspensky
>>
Law and Law School both
>>
>>9948627
The Machine Question, David J. Gunkel
>>
>>9948538
>>>/sci/
>>
>>9951458
yes I've dipped into it couple times, haven't gone through the whole thing though. i keep an eye out for these red Cambridge textbooks, they're usually the best combo of breadth, depth, and accessibility
>>
how to get [b emoji]ussy
>>
>>9949467
Not something that takes full advantage by any stretch but a similar time loop book I fell in love with was All You Need Is Kill.
>>
A purpose in life ;-;
>>
Crime Scene Investigation
Criminal Defense
Martial Arts
Weapons Engineering
Critical Theory
Cobbling
>>
Farming humans for resources (like for for food, or slave labor)
Cannibalism
Overpopulation
>>
>>9957864
the movie "Soylent Green"
>>
File: make_room_make_room-large.jpg (100KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
make_room_make_room-large.jpg
100KB, 333x500px
>>9957990
Already seen it and read the novel it's based on Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison (though the novel doesn't have cannibalism)
I'm looking for similar stuff, I'm especially interested in the idea of accidental cannibalism, general fiction about overpopulation, and the idea of human farming other humans.
>>
>>9954929
>David J. Gunkel
Thanks. His works look at what I'm interested in the philosophy of technology. Anyone else you might suggest I read?
>>
The Establishment
>>
>>9953081
notes from the underground
>>
A story which has a character interact with the world (characters, protagonist, etc) and the reader. Or just a book that attacks the reader through the story.
>>
>>9958696
nah not really senpai. Check out some uni reading lists on artificial intelligence maybe? They've usually got pretty good recommendations
>>
Any novels that are basically /r9k/: the book?
>>
>>9958997
No Longer Human
>>
Laberintos. No Borges pls
>>
Any books that capture something like this? Surreal foreboding in the distance?
I know Chirico wrote a novel but I can't find it so please recommend something different.
>>
>>9958859
There's a book called Mister b Gone by Clive Barker which does this but it's shit.
>>
>>9949467
Give Slaughterhouse-5
a shot if you haven't.

>>9957864
The Road

Anything where the here turns out to be the villain in a skillfully tailored way?
>>
>>9948534
I'm not sure why, but now I also have a hard on for that idea. Someone please do it.
>>
Cyberculture
>>
>>9959944
maybe the lime twig? i hear john hawkes' other stuff is similar in feeling too, but i haven't read anything else
>>
>>9958997
The Elliot Rodger Manifesto
>>
>>9960549
I kek'd
>>
Human Rights
>>
>>9959944
THIS THIS THIS SO MUCH
Never seen that painting before, btw. Looks nice
>>
>>9953126
Hey, you still there, anon?
It's pretty good. A little different from what I had in mind but it'll do nicely. Maybe after meditating he can learn to keep his triggers in check to go back and help the kids again? The harrowing flashback could make him think that he's useless in this world, but then stuff happens, and he realizes that helping children really is a great goal, and maybe he has to work on it before he can go back, but now he has a goal he wants to achieve. And he once killed a dreadlord tyranny in magic land, he can do this. Maybe a therapist suggests he writes the whole story down as a catharsis, and when he's finished, it's about the size of a book?Optimistic open end.

I'm kinda high right now, but I just wrote this:
It's a sloppy intro to a story idea I got about it awhile ago, but didn't expand on beyond a couple character sketches.
>"In the first story there is a girl, strong and sweet, hiding sharp sharp teeth behind plum colored lips. She saved so young and pretty on the hill at twilight covered in pretty dresses torn asunder and cloaked, down to the dew grass in blood and viscera. She has toppled a tyrant and fulfilled a prophecy of light. "
>"In the second story she is old now, not decrepit, but graying and weathered. But she is still beautiful and her teeth are still very very sharp. Her story is over and it hurts her, aches her and sticks needles in her heart. She is jealous of her story, and envious of the new young thing, strapping a sword to her belt."
>"In Between those two stories was a boy, young still, but younger then, all but fell into an adventure in the fashion of those before, but was sacrificed to return, broken and confused, to suffer alone."
>>
>>9948512

Birds
>>
>>9948512
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7509076-the-selected-works-of-t-s-spivet
I'm not sure who this book is for, but it's about a kid that is probably autistic- he's like 10 or something, and he makes the best maps and scientific drawing in the country, so some foundations want to give him an award, not knowing that he's only a little kid. So he just... goes. Food, Train hopping, hitchhiking. And has adventures along the way. I really suggest getting this book analog- the margins are really wide because they're filled with sketches and maps an observations. I actually really enjoyed it, despite me generally not liking coming of age stories.
>>
>>9963122
Hey Mr. Franzen! How ya doing?
>>
>>9963157
Oh simply swell, thanks. Hangin' at my favorite little cafe in Brooklyn, working on my next novel. It's a zany adventure where a white woman and her black son bop around New York in the early 2000s and then, through a crazy turn of events, create Bitcoin. Her name is of course Satoshia (yes she's white), and his is Bronson.

I'm off. Feeling a little gross after using the web :/
>>
>>9948534
Gregor the Overlander is about this kid who goes down into an underground world where pale people ride on giant bats and fight giant rats.
In the later books, especially at the beginning segments before he inevitably descends back down, there is a lot of shit about how he can't go to the pool with the normies because he's afraid of taking off his shirt and having everyone see all the scars he has from fighting in the rat war and whatnot
Also a bunch of having terrible nightmares, "what have I done" moments and reflecting on how his little sister is growing up and loosing all her friendly openness and positivity because she had to watch too many of her undetground bat friends get ripped to shreds by giant rats
It's by the Hunger Games author but far superior

That's the closest thing I can come up with and it still doesn't really fit, also it's YA
>>
>>9963267
Goddamn that's pretty much perfect. I'm sold! Thanks my man!
>>
>>9963296
I really don't know how it would hold up to be frank
It was great when I read it as a child but who can say how I would think about it now

If you think you might enjoy Fellowship of the Ring kind of groups going on an important adventure and things escalating in bad ways you will probably have a good time
Also I vaguely remember a bunch of stuff about self fulfilling prophecies, no idea if that was any good
>>
>>9963330
well, I'm going to check it out. if the thread survives, then I'll drop a review or whatever.
>>
Success/Productivity
>>
>>9952906
So I haven't read a single book and this topic, but I too was interested in knowing what books I could maybe read at some point so I have a folder here with a bunch of titles that were recommended on numerous occasions to me and other people
Maybe they can serve you as a starting point

Richard Pipes wrote "Russia under the Bolshevik Regime 1919-1924" there might be a sequel, he also wrote "The Russian Revolution"
Another book called "The Russian Revolution" is written by William Henry Chamberlin, this one definitely has multiple volumes but I don't know how far up to recent times they go
"A History of Russia" by Nicholas V. Riasanovsky and Mark D. Steinberg
"A History of Russia" by John Lawrence (it says here it starts with the "ancient beginnings" so maybe this isn't what you're looking for, but it goes up to modern times apparently)
Trotsky wrote a history of the revolution
Afghanistan: "The Bear Went Over the Mountain" and "The Other Side of the Mountain", also "The Soviet- Afghan War" by Grau and Gress
Something on the revolution that was recommended a whole lot is "A People's Tragedy" by Figes
"The Russian Revolution - A Very Short Introduction" by Smith
"Stalin - The Court of the Red Tsar" by Montefiore and "Stalin" by Kotkin which, if I remember right, will get a second volume at some point
WW2: "The Devil's Alliance" (I've heard someone talk shit about this one though), "Bloodlands", "Stalingrad" by Beevor, the "Colossus" series on the red army by Glantz

It don't know if there is such a thing as a good single volume that goes from '18 to '91 because WW2 happened in between and that alone would take up a lot of book
>>
I'm researching German conservative, anti-modern, reactionary,
radical (and so on) thought, roughly from 1750 to 1945. Mostly focused on 1870 and after. Basically, anything that is "opinionated" about modernity, anything from Adorno to Klages to Junger to Mann to Weber to full-blown Nazism and Heidegger/Schmitt/etc.

I'm OK when it comes to various individual authors, but I'm much weaker on broad institutional history and cultural history where they intersect with intellectual history.

Anyone have any ideas? Right now I'm just going to read a bunch of books on Weimar conservatism, the new conservative movement, and so on. My German is OK, so I'm gonna read Armin Mohler too.
>>
>>9960254
>The Road
Thank's for the suggestion I haven't read The Road yet since I kept hearing mixed opinions of it but I trust that since it has a some my interests it must be right for me.
Putting it on my reading list.
>>
Does anyone have a literary equivalent to Chris-chan? Some creator with a terrible life and delusions has his work corrupted and morphed into his real life in a way that is both funny and sad.
>>
>>9964438
Delet this.
>>
>>9958988
Any you have in mind?
>>
Social Organisation(s).
>>
>>9964438
Wasp Factory
>>
>>9948534
Unironically Sword Art Online. Its originally a light novel if i recall right. Its only briefly touched upon though and the overall story mostly sucks.
>>
A book that cheers up cynics, has to do with a cynic or a pessimist becoming optimistic, or someone who has a negative outlook on life becoming better as a person.

Also any suggestions on books about young doctors feeling like shit? I've read Bulgakov's Young Doctor's Notes and Celine's Journey to the End of the Night
>>
>>9966269
>A book that cheers up cynics
Howl's Moving Castle
>>
File: IMAG0234_BURST007.jpg (209KB, 1723x974px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0234_BURST007.jpg
209KB, 1723x974px
tea
>>
>>9949498
siddhartha
>>
Death of a loved one.
>>
File: 279673.jpg (45KB, 293x475px) Image search: [Google]
279673.jpg
45KB, 293x475px
>>9948534

Everworld
Exactly what you want, but it's young litterature
>>
>>9957864
Stand on Zanzibar has a theme of overpopulation
>>
>>9966290
oc? comfy af anon
>>
Psychology
>>
>>9966498
thinking fast and slow
>>
File: 1500095363730.jpg (265KB, 1200x719px) Image search: [Google]
1500095363730.jpg
265KB, 1200x719px
So I want to study philosophy as a foundation for understand Literary and Critical Theory. I am an English student so I have no great need for studying philosophy itself in great detail, but I still wish to build a base on which I can base later thinkers like Heidegger, Derrida, Foucault, Badiou, Deleuze, Kristeva etc; that are the one a literature grad student most commonly encounters.
>inb4 start with the Greeks
I don't have that much time, I have just an year left in this degree program before I apply to grad school where I'll have to pass through an interview and I need smthing that will help me understand theory in sufficient depth and detail by then. Can't devote a lifetime to this stuff, sorry.(Atleast not right now)
>>
File: IMAG0255.jpg (252KB, 1723x974px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0255.jpg
252KB, 1723x974px
>>9966475
yes, excellent hobby
>>
>>9966547
If you only have a year you might be in trouble. It's hard to read and meaningfully assimilate any of those authors without sufficient immersion in them and their milieux. It requires several introductory phases of "what the fuck am I even reading?" getting-lostness and then some more careful step-retreading to get a firm foothold and feel confident.

That's ONE of those authors. I've sat through 6-month graduate classes on Foucault and Heidegger, the easier to understand of the bunch, where more than half the class had a fuzzy idea at best by the end of it. Deleuze alone is badly misunderstood even by people who claim to study him for a living.

Your best bet might be to read rigorous but still accessible summaries and analyses of their work from an explicitly critical/literary theory perspective. I've seen a few books like that and I'm sure there are dozens out there. That way, even if you only have superficial knowledge, at least it's the form of that knowledge vetted by your discipline (who probably understand Deleuze just as little as you will at that point).

It will probably be more valuable to get bird's-eye view and general ideas of what "thinking Heideggerian" looks like, at this point, rather than trying to jump into Being & Time, or god forbid Diifference & Repetition.
>>
>>9966583
dat yixing
>>
>>9966587
Addendum: Not to say you shouldn't jump into Being & Time if you want to. Everyone should read Being & Time, in some perfect world. Just that if you only have a year and you're trying to be strategic about it.. ten books like "Philosophy for Literary Theorists" might be better than half-understanding the first half of Being & Time over your Christmas break and feeling frustrated at not making more progress.

Also: Use introductory works in general. Dreyfus' 2005 Berkeley course on Heidegger recommends the top 3-5 Heidegger intro books on its syllabus and in the first lecture. Deleuze has some accessible intros, I think DeLanda is one of them? Badiou and Kristeva are awful pieces of shit so I can't help you there.

Gary Gutting has a good book on Foucault's archaeological phase. It's not perfect, but at least it's better than all the fakers who only studied his genealogical period and want to imitate the Parisian obscurantist style even while claiming to decrypt Foucault's style for the reader.

The Gayatri Spivak introduction to Derrida's On Grammatology actually lays out his ideas pretty well.

There's a set of informal lectures on Youtube called Deleuze for the Desperate. It's not perfect but it's an OK start.
>>
Ethics in the science
>>
>>9966618
Canguilhem, Foucault, Fleck
>>
File: Picture 3.jpg (2MB, 5168x2907px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 3.jpg
2MB, 5168x2907px
>>9966603
got a second one
>>
>>9966547
norton anthology of theory and criticism has a lot of short texts by a lot of seminal thinkers. it's hardly comprehensive but it at least gives you an idea of major themes so you can talk about philosophy broadly. if not sounding like an idiot when discussing that stuff is your goal then it should be helpful.
>>
very distant future? something like post-simulation society? post-singularity?
>>
>>9966665
Nick Bostrom, Nick Land, Olaf Stapledon
>>
>>9966669
thank you.

do you recommend something to start with?
>>
File: 1499013451426.jpg (59KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1499013451426.jpg
59KB, 500x378px
>>9966547
>>9966613
Thanks a ton. I think I should have added that I am not completely clueless; I know quite a bit of Structuralism for example, a decent amount of Marxism, some New Historicism and post-colonialism too. Speaking of thinkers, I know some Kant, some Marx and some Hegel. However, since I'm not in philosophy, my reading of these people has been limited to secondary texts and textbooks only.
I'm not really worried about things like feminism, queer studies or Post-co theory because they don't really require that much philosophy. It is fields like Post-Structuralism, Deconstruction, Post-modernism, Hermeneutics, that really concern me. I feel that it is of no use picking up and anthology of literary theory unless have a solid understanding of western thought through the ages, the things that those guys based their ideas on.
You have made some very helpful suggestions. Could you name some books or authors to help me get started? I'm downloading the Dreyfus lectures, gonna get started on them soon. Any others textbooks I can look up?

BTW, what are the your thoughts on the Oxford Very Short Introduction series? Is it a good idea to get the ones on various thinkers(say, Hegel)?

>>9966633
Very disjointed and sporadic. Would hardly be helpful in forming a comprehensive "whole", which is my aim.
>>
>>9964438
Try Henry Darger. He was like proto Chris that is actually endearing.

This video explains it better.

https://youtu.be/vjCS_u3Sgpg
>>
>>9966684
I wish I had anything concrete - I was just recommending some offhand stuff as a starting point.

I know some of Bostrom's articles (on his website) talk about the simulation hypothesis and similar things. I liked his "great filter" ideas, but a friend told me he's stealing all his best concepts from old Golden Age scifi.

Bostrom's big book Superintelligence is the famous recent one, about how the creation of general intelligence with scaleable qualities (making it faster than a human-level general intelligence, say, theoretically without limit) is basically the insta-death of humanity. Great book, has a good audiobook version.

Nick Land is just accelerationism, and you're probably better off reading his articles (recent one in Jacobite) than any of his books. Accelerationism in general is basically the familiar thesis of the rationalization of humanity, cybernetics, capitalism and late capitalism as the conversion of humanity into a computer, and the obvious intersection that has with artificial intelligence (e.g., humanity's cybernetic technicisation and totalitarian swan songs as simply the gestation chamber for the AI/singularity). Arguably the most convincing and interesting thesis on the future of humanity currently standing - again, with Bostrom, we're all about to die or be enslaved horribly.

Stapledon I just like because he wrote Last & First Men. Pre-Golden Age of Scifi, really experimental/speculative fiction about the far future of humanity and different forms transhuman societies might take.

Again wish I could help more.

>>9966721
If you have good sea legs in philosophy in general, and it seems like you do, you might be able to dive into a lot more than you think. Heidegger in particular is not that hard to understand, and Derrida kind of just follows from that. Especially if you have a good appreciation of the historical context - like the response to structuralism, exactly.

Heidegger - hermeneutics (Gadamer, Ricoeur) - Derrida is an easy enough (because mutually self-referential) itinerary in a single year. Dreyfus' course plus one or two of the intro books - I think Dreyfus has a hard-on for Blattner - should be fine.

I'm not sure I can recommend any books in particular since my own path to understanding this stuff was itself a wobbly hermeneutic circle, where I basically just fumbled around and read and re-read shit until it started to click for me. I naturally enjoy dialectical and morphological thinking, so I think I "got" hermeneutics long before I read it seriously. But I've seen a lot of people flounder in trying to understand it, because they just have different ways of thinking, so YMMV.

I read a lot of things like the Very Short Intros, mostly of average quality, some (and this is more or less true depending on the figure in question, like Wittgenstein and Deleuze) completely useless because they were too general or didn't actually EXPLAIN, only recounted the philosopher's key ideas.
>>
>>9949453
https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~abhishek/chicmath.htm
>>
>>9966847
thanks a lot bro!
>>
File: Genie_immediately_after_rescue.jpg (29KB, 256x377px) Image search: [Google]
Genie_immediately_after_rescue.jpg
29KB, 256x377px
>>9966760
>>
A book set in accident asia back when there was samurais ninjas and shit. And the MC has to restore honor to his family or some shit by killing the bad guys or whatever.
>>
>>9966971
Not ancient Asia but I love suggesting Pearl Buck to anyone who might appreciate the author's works.
>>
Something about someone having a oneitis and not being able to get her
Basically a tfw no gf type book
>>
Are there any books with AIs discovering any philosophical stance other than utilitarianism?
Bonus points if they actually hold these stances.
>>
>>9957713
please help, I don't have much time left
>>
economics
>>
>>9948512
South Korea
>>
>>9963108
Still here got banned for a day
>>
>>9952706
dale carnegie
>>
>>9949928
infinite jest :^)
>>
>>9948627
Do not read Bostrom. What angle do you want to approach it from? Casual knowledge? Philosophy of AI?
>>9950029
The correct answer for a beginner wanting to learn about it academically.
>>9951314
It's very good, a little old but definitely worth it. It's foundational to all the subfields of AI. The first edition is way outdated and the second edition is much much better. The third is unnecessary.
>>
>>9968293
hey, cool. Still interested in the book?
>>
>>9968554
I am. I'm gonna develop an outline for a few versions. It's definitely an interesting concept.
>>
Self-steem, erasing negative thoughts, positive attitude
>>
>>9968652
Hey, that's awesome.
I'm inspired to dust off my old notes on it too.
See if I can get anywhere, this time.
>>
I want to read a book that will help me understand personality psychology
>>
History of Ideas
Analytical Philosophy
How do I get a gf

Something really basic, entry level
>>
>>9967076
look up learned helplessness
not a book but will help you realize how pathetic the >tfwnogf mindset is
>>
>>9962115
the ego and its own
>>
>>9966269
No good suggestions?
>>
File: Girls.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>9969069
>Analytical Philosophy
>Getting a girlfriend
Pick one
>>
>>9969002
Someone's diary, desu.
>>
>>9948512
Gender Studies
>>
Penis
>>
>>9971014
Freud obviously
>>
>>9971032
take Otto Weiniger. He was redpilled in the 19th century
>>
>>9970937
Schopenhauer
>>
>>9963572
nice, thanks
>>
>>9971044
Who?
>>
>>9971063
Kek, but really, I want to understand why academics care about this stuff so much.
>>
>>9951503
If you're so smart then you'll read C and P and realize just how useless and futile any sort of elitism truly is.

The world's indifferent to your strength and powerful; you push, it'll destroy you.
>>
International Relations Theory
>>
Politics of the Middle East
>>
>>9971880
the actual answer is gender trouble by judith butler.
>>
>>9968655
Anyone?
>>
>>9968655
Mindfulness in general

I have a specific recommendation for mindfulness that helped me, but I can't fucking remember what it is

In general it helps to broaden your perspective, and ground it in a greater purpose for your life that you actually value. I never really understood "be confident bro" until I found myself, discovered who I was or whatever, and then after that it became trivial and obvious. After that, you have something to measure all the bullshit against - you have an anchor in the storm, and no matter how bad the storm gets you can trust in that anchor.

>>9969069
You know Whitehead, Adventures of Ideas and Lovejoy, The Great Chain of Being, obviously?
>>
>>9972475
Judith Butler... lol good one.
>>
Network theory
>>
>>9948512
taxation is theft
>>
>>9974434
If you're a anarchist pleb

I wish the people had more direct contro over the allocation of taxed monies. I would happily pay more taxes if everyone got to choose where it went to. It'd be hilarious to see the advertisements for federal programs begging people to send them money
>>
>>9972481
>>9968655

Feeling Good, by David Burns
but also complement his CBT approach with DBT, for example mindfulness as >>9972822 mentions
(CBT = Cognitive Behavioral Therapy; DBT = Dialectical Behavioral Therapy)
>>
>>9949467
Exercises in Style / Raymond Queneau
Interstate / Stephen Dixon
>>
Social psychology
>>
>>9972822
Mindfullness in Plain English?
Thread posts: 187
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.